General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Turbo's on a 89-94 Maxima - details

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2000, 12:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

We were asked by a Forum member if we knew the feasibility of adding a turbo to the VG30E motor. Although there is no kits made, the answer is "yes" we can do one.

Here is some background and then some specifics.

While we were racing our 300ZX Road Race car (specs outlined below), we had the opportunity to utilize the Nissan Race motor builders for NISMO and Honda domestically.

In talking to him today and discussing the fesability and potential specs, the answer was, he could in fact build this motor boosting at 11-15 lbs boost.

The first one will take a little longer since we have to design and build a manifold. We would also custom grind the cams and of course re-do the entire bottom end of the motor to balanced and blueprinted race specs. The motor builder has a bench dyno to solidify the results.

The cost would be in the $7500.00 range for the full motor (we think). The price will get lower should make the first one for a customer.

Here are the specs we used on the Z motor, which ran at 550 to 600 h/p (no NOS) and custom chips (not JWT)

1999 Specifications

1990 300ZX Twin Turbo
JWT Sport 500 Turbos (re-built by John Meyers Racing)
Stillen 485cc fuel injectors
Stillen Intercoolers
Stillen ECU and boost jets
Custom programmed "Race Chip" ( we had one for each track)
Z32 block, bored & polished (50mm) over
10:1 compression ratio
Ceramic coated JWT pistons (over sized)
5 angle valve job on heads
Ported and polished intake runners
ARP rod bolts
Performance springs
Cam timing to race specs
Fully balanced and blueprinted (dyno tested on bench)
Twin Stillen high flow intake
Stillen high capacity oil cooler
Stillen lower radiator hose
Centerforce Kevlar extreme duty clutch
Sequential BOV
3" straight pipes (no cats)
NGK Racing Plugs
NEO Fluids
HKS Turbo Timer
HKS boost gauge / Exhaust Temp Gauge / Oil Pressure Gauge
Eibach Pro Kit Springs
Tokico 5 way Adjustable Shocks
Stillen Adjustable Upper A Arms
Stillen Adjustable Tension Rods
Stillen (Goodridge) stainless steel brake lines
Skyline front rotors and calipers
Hawk "Blue" brake pads
3"x5" NACA ducts & neoprene tubes to front calipers
BFG R1 Racing tires (shaved)
245-45-17 front
285-45-17 rear
Stillen GTZ Rear Wing
SMZ front spoiler
SMZ side skirts
SMZ Louvered Panel (functional)
MOMO "T" Frame racing seat (16 LBS)
6 Point Roll Cage (Avalon Racing)

Old 12-07-2000, 12:15 PM
Disco Biscuit

So, there is the potential of having a Max with HP to match a Z?

All for around $7500?
That is very impressive. What about for 4th gens? Any plans in the works for turbos?
Old 12-07-2000, 12:21 PM

Re: So, there is the potential of having a Max with HP to match a Z?

Per the Nissan race motor builder - YES to a point. The chances of getting in the 500 h/p range is unlikely BUT I could see the high 3's to maybe the low 4 range ( NOS dependent as well).

Jim, the head engineer at the motor shop would be best to answer that.

It would be crazy to publish any potential gains until one is built and run on the bench. You would be surprised how much extra h/p can be gained while the motor is on the computer.

The real test is after a customer wwants one and we build it for him/her.

Regards

Originally posted by Whitemax
All for around $7500?
That is very impressive. What about for 4th gens? Any plans in the works for turbos?
Old 12-07-2000, 12:22 PM
I'm needing a caw

Great googlie oooglie!! Let me chime in here. IMHO $7k is quite a bit of money for a turbo kit desinged for a 4-5k car. Now I'm sure the $7k is not out of line for the parts/work/labor involved in your kit. I'm not saying that at all. What I'm saying is let's try to work out a kit that can be used on a stock VG30 block/heads. This would greatly reduce the price(and hp!) You probably should stipulate that the vg30 must be in good working order and new head gaskets are in order + a compression check(among other things)

Okay how about the following: Let's limit the boost to 9 psi or under. I think a good working vg30 could handle that. Let's also use the stock exhaust manifolds and concentrate on making a custom Y pipe to merge the two exhausts into one turbo flange. Somewhere just above the starter might work really well. Intercooler? I think 7-9 psi is the dividing line on where an intercooler is worth the pressure loss?? The intake piping is fairly straight forward. Of course timing and fuel must be addressed w/ either a Z31 ecu or add ones.

What the VG and VE guys need right now is a cost effective kit that can be used on our stock internals. I think would would give up the unltimate horsepower potential in order to have a $3-$4k kit that gives the vg about 210hp and the ve about 250hp or so. I think once this type of kit is made, someone will start inquiring about a full blown kit like you mentioned. All of this at once is really overwhelming to most.

And because this is a FWD, hp over a certain limit is not really necessary. Especially when the VG and VQ powered maximas don't have LSD differentials. Even the VE lsd is only about 20% lock on a good day!

Hope this helps.

[Edited by Jeff92se on 12-07-2000 at 02:24 PM]
Old 12-07-2000, 12:27 PM

Could not agree more:

Race engines are costly at best. The Z motor was over 20k. The motors we use on our stock cars are over 10k each and we re-do them after every other race.

I will talk it over with the engineer to see about starting a manifold design and see how much tooling would be. Jointly we have the capability. The issue is the initial investment and the ROI thereafter.

We will keep looking at this.

Regards

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Great googlie oooglie!! Let me chime in here. IMHO $7k is quite a bit of money for a turbo kit desinged for a 4-5k car. Now I'm sure the $7k is not out of line for the parts/work/labor involved in your kit. I'm not saying that at all. What I'm saying is let's try to work out a kit that can be used on a stock VG30 block/heads. This would greatly reduce the price(and hp!) You probably should stipulate that the vg30 must be in good working order and new head gaskets are in order + a compression check(among other things)

Okay how about the following: Let's limit the boost to 9 psi or under. I think a good working vg30 could handle that. Let's also use the stock exhaust manifolds and concentrate on making a custom Y pipe to merge the two exhausts into one turbo flange. Somewhere just above the starter might work really well. Intercooler? I think 7-9 psi is the dividing line on where an intercooler is worth the pressure loss?? The intake piping is fairly straight forward. Of course timing and fuel must be addressed w/ either a Z31 ecu or add ones.

What the VG and VE guys need right now is a cost effective kit that can be used on our stock internals. I think would would give up the unltimate horsepower potential in order to have a $3-$4k kit that gives the vg about 210hp and the ve about 250hp or so. I think once this type of kit is made, someone will start inquiring about a full blown kit like you mentioned. All of this at once is really overwhelming to most.

And because this is a FWD, hp over a certain limit is not really necessary. Especially when the VG and VQ powered maximas don't have LSD differentials. Even the VE lsd is only about 20% lock on a good day!

Hope this helps.

Old 12-07-2000, 12:31 PM
Disco Biscuit

All I can say is...

You guys are cool.....
Old 12-07-2000, 12:33 PM

guys just one thing

You have all that power....
but can the tranny handle that amount of power.

hey Paul just thought of something for auto owners ... do you guys do Valve body recalibrating?
Old 12-07-2000, 12:41 PM

Re: guys just one thing

The tranny at 300 to 400 h/p would need soem upgrading. Clearly the clutch and flywheel would need to be upgraded as well.

I would also not run that much h/p on stock suspension and bushings. Just could not handle the load.

As for tranny recalibrating - yes (depends on make and model.

Regards

Originally posted by Stillnmax
You have all that power....
but can the tranny handle that amount of power.

hey Paul just thought of something for auto owners ... do you guys do Valve body recalibrating?
Old 12-07-2000, 02:51 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

neel...

turbo...7k
level ten high perf. rebuild on the auto...3-4k

in all 11k...thats alot depending on what you have in mind for the use of the project...sounds very very interesting...hell if i had that loot laying around i'd try it in a heartbeat...
Old 12-07-2000, 03:19 PM

No joke, If I could scrape up that much money, (One semester in tuition) I would be in.
Old 12-07-2000, 04:29 PM

Hey Paul, wanna look at my Max? I'm in southeast Mass. You having another meet at your house anytime soon?
Old 12-07-2000, 06:11 PM

To cold for BBQ's in the snow (soon) but

Come on up to the office. If we plan it right, I will show you the facilities.

regards

Originally posted by Maximamike
Hey Paul, wanna look at my Max? I'm in southeast Mass. You having another meet at your house anytime soon?
Old 12-08-2000, 01:07 PM

I agree with Jeff

Make to kit to develope around 5-8psi without having to upgrade the fuel injectors. Maybe include a JWT ECU and high flow fuel pump to simply the install. Everything else is hardware and shouldn't be too hard to design.
Old 12-08-2000, 03:55 PM

Hope this helps.

Old 12-08-2000, 03:57 PM

opps that didnt work before, sorry.
i would definitly be in on the turbo kit if it were around $3k. it would be nice to see the vg be around 250hp though. how soon do you think a kit like this will be available. i am interested, i would buy one as early as this summer if it were available.

Originally posted by thebull

Hope this helps.

Old 12-09-2000, 10:53 AM

I'm very interested in this

I am very interested in this sort of project this summer. The only problem is that too much power and the 3rd gens are going to torque steer like mad. For a porject like this I would be willing to go as far as to rebuild the motor to guarentee that it would last.

Things that I would be looking for:
8 - 12psi intercooled with power comming on at about 3K-3.5K
Mount to current manifold (but I would buy a custom one in the future if it was ever fabricated)
Custom ECU (obviously this is necessary)
555cc injectors
FMIC
all tubing appropriatly sized
a nice blitz or greddy BOV
turbo timer
boost controler
the usualy monitoring gages : fuel and oil pressure, boost, exhaust temp.

Fro
Old 12-09-2000, 11:13 AM

You won't need 555 cc injectors. The 440 JWT ones will be fine. Compare the costs too:

JWT 440s from Carparts.com=$350
NISMO 555 cc's=$1000+
Old 12-09-2000, 12:01 PM

Nismo 555cc Injectors...

Talk about hard to get!! It took me a while to order those and my engine blew before they could arrive! grrrrr

You won't need 555 cc injectors. The 440 JWT ones will be fine. Compare the costs too:

NISMO 555 cc's=$1000+
Old 12-09-2000, 12:37 PM

You still got um? Get on AOL
Old 12-09-2000, 06:01 PM

well

I actualy think the stock 300Z tt ones would surfice. The stock set up is good enough for this set up.

I do think that a set up to just give the car some boost is a good idea. I also think they should look to do staged upgrade kits that include parts for more power....

I'd definatly be willing to work with them once I have a second car to drive..

Fro

NISMO 555 cc's=$1000+
Old 12-09-2000, 06:04 PM

My friends selling his 1973 BMW 2002. Its in great shape and has suspension mods. $1500, interested?
Old 12-09-2000, 06:14 PM

i'd love to but I need something that is FWD or AWD that can handle the snow. I'm actualy leaning towards a SC'ed Frontier or waiting for the face lifted Xterra to show up.

If that doesn't work for me I'll probably look for a 94 SER or a 95/96 GSR.

Fro

My friends selling his 1973 BMW 2002. Its in great shape and has suspension mods. $1500, interested?
Old 12-09-2000, 06:19 PM

Re: well

Something else that might be worth while for them to look into is adapting a set of Stillen 300ZX exhaust manifolds for this application. Granted it means that they would have to put the EGR port on to the front manifold and bend a new tube, but this can't be that hard...

Fro

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FroMan
[I]I actualy think the stock 300Z tt ones would surfice. The stock set up is good enough for this set up.

I do think that a set up to just give the car some boost is a good idea. I also think they should look to do staged upgrade kits that include parts for more power....

I'd definatly be willing to work with them once I have a second car to drive..

Fro

Old 12-09-2000, 09:15 PM

Re: Re: well

Originally posted by FroMan
Something else that might be worth while for them to look into is adapting a set of Stillen 300ZX exhaust manifolds for this application.
Backeth offeth thy ideas!
Old 12-09-2000, 09:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just way too much $$$. If I had about $7-$11k, I rather save that up some more, and get myself a new car. Maybe BMW? If it's around the $3-$5k range, that would be more reasonable. Oh well...I'm a broke *** college student, so I better stop dreaming.
Old 12-09-2000, 09:51 PM

i'm just pimpin' my hoes

I have a plethera of ideas!!!! mwuhaaaaaaa, mwuhaaaaaaa, mwuhaaaaaaa, mwuhaaaaaaa

maximamike stop humping the lazer

don't forget that 3" down pipe to a RT cat and a functional dual exhaust setup!!!!! mmmmmmmm dual greddy's

FroMan

Backeth offeth thy ideas! [/I]
Old 12-10-2000, 09:45 AM

Re: i'm just pimpin' my hoes

Originally posted by FroMan

maximamike stop humping the lazer

don't forget that 3" down pipe to a RT cat and a functional dual exhaust setup!!!!! mmmmmmmm dual greddy's
Actually I'm looking for dual HKS Hipers. But the GReddy's are still in the back of my mind