General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

95-99 are better than 2000+

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 03:06 AM

Re: 95-99 are better than 2000+

Originally posted by mblasko85
I have a question? Why did they ever change the body from the 95-99... Those bodies are the best. Even though they dont have 255 HP im sure they could get it to w/ the same 95-99 bodies. Man and the new 2004 pictures that ive seen... if they are real... they are ugly. Thats what i think. What is your all opinions?
I own a 98 SE 5-spd with every option except the wind deflector, so that's the disclaimer. The 4th gen was smokin' in late '94--it got on the C&D 10 Best list for the '95 model. Back then, 190 hp was very good, and the soft handling, loose steering, and beam axle wasn't that bad at all. Anything around 7.0 0-60 was pretty fast. But those characteristics are still in the car 7 years later, 255 hp or no 255 hp.

The Maxima is a dated car, 4th gen or 5th gen. It's very amazing how narrow the car is when you park next to just about anybody. The rear decks are very low both on the 4th and 5th, a sign of age--the bodies are screaming for a complete makeover. So is a 4th "better" than a 5th? Not really, it'a a matter of which you happened to get. The 5th is probably the first Maxima anyone ever called ugly though. The other day a brand-new Dodge Stratus parked next to me and I noticed how bizarre the styling of the 4th gen is when compared to something brand-new. That Stratus has some 745-esque lines believe it or not. Look at the door-handles on the Maxima, look at them on the Camry, look at them on the VW, look at them on the BMW. There is one of the 4 makes that doesn't have the same as the other 3. Now which car mfg refuses to keep up with styling factors?
Old 07-06-2002, 09:21 AM

Re: Re: 95-99 are better than 2000+

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

I own a 98 SE 5-spd with every option except the wind deflector, so that's the disclaimer. The 4th gen was smokin' in late '94--it got on the C&D 10 Best list for the '95 model. Back then, 190 hp was very good, and the soft handling, loose steering, and beam axle wasn't that bad at all. Anything around 7.0 0-60 was pretty fast. But those characteristics are still in the car 7 years later, 255 hp or no 255 hp.

The Maxima is a dated car, 4th gen or 5th gen. It's very amazing how narrow the car is when you park next to just about anybody. The rear decks are very low both on the 4th and 5th, a sign of age--the bodies are screaming for a complete makeover. So is a 4th "better" than a 5th? Not really, it'a a matter of which you happened to get. The 5th is probably the first Maxima anyone ever called ugly though. The other day a brand-new Dodge Stratus parked next to me and I noticed how bizarre the styling of the 4th gen is when compared to something brand-new. That Stratus has some 745-esque lines believe it or not. Look at the door-handles on the Maxima, look at them on the Camry, look at them on the VW, look at them on the BMW. There is one of the 4 makes that doesn't have the same as the other 3. Now which car mfg refuses to keep up with styling factors?
lots of very good points. i really like the looks of the 97+ 4th gen because its subtly aggressive when lowered and if unaltered the body line is very smooth the debadged rear has got to be my favorite change though. eventually when im done with my datsun project im going to make fiberglass grilles of different types to see what i like. i want it different but subtle. if you have any suggestions let me know -Pete
Old 07-06-2002, 09:27 AM

i want 255 hp
Old 07-06-2002, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by jim90gxe

So your saying a 10 yr old suspension sucks? Who wudda thunk it!
again, i quote the reason why i said that:
i only said that [it sucks] because everyone praises the 3rd gen suspension so much
Old 07-06-2002, 01:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by TurDz
I always dream of Nissan coming to their senses to reintroduce the 4th Gen Max with updated feature, and subtle changes here and there. That would be pretty cool.
what do you think the 5th gen is? Look CLOSELY.
Old 07-06-2002, 01:57 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

ummmmmmm......well then if you replace the 3rd gens OEM suspension NOW and try comparing again, wouldn't that make more sense

Originally posted by Maximan190
yes it is stock, i only said that because everyone praises the 3rd gen suspension so much when its really not that great. Yeah of course back then when these cars were brand new it was, but were here now in 2002 not in 1989-1994.
Old 07-06-2002, 02:02 PM

Although i dont know much about the 2004+ maximas,, from what i can see they will kill the Max's image.......It is very said to say but the altima has taken the place of the 4 door sports car. Nissan is making the Max into a ugly luxury car...

Am i right ?
Old 07-06-2002, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by Rutnick

what do you think the 5th gen is? Look CLOSELY.
DOH your right the nissan emplems are the same, and they are both called maxima's... I can't believe you wrote that.

There are really NO exterior similarities. Interior... well they both do have seats and a wheel to navigate with... hmmm.
Old 07-07-2002, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by SLC I30t
DOH your right the nissan emplems are the same, and they are both called maxima's... I can't believe you wrote that.

There are really NO exterior similarities. Interior... well they both do have seats and a wheel to navigate with... hmmm.
look again.
Old 07-07-2002, 07:29 AM

look again.
if you are refering to the engine block-yes but the rest of the engine is different, the suspension-yes, the exhaust-no. Maybe you need to take a another look, with out the rose colored glasses
Old 07-07-2002, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by Bad97MaxSE
Although i dont know much about the 2004+ maximas,, from what i can see they will kill the Max's image.......It is very said to say but the altima has taken the place of the 4 door sports car. Nissan is making the Max into a ugly luxury car...

Am i right ?
think so
Old 07-07-2002, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by bacid
to each his own.
i couldn't agree with this more
Old 07-07-2002, 09:45 PM

if you are refering to the engine block-yes but the rest of the engine is different, the suspension-yes, the exhaust-no. Maybe you need to take a another look, with out the rose colored glasses
maybe YOU need to take another look. From the side, the car isn't much different from the 4th generation. In fact, not a whole heck of a lot has changed from the 4th gen. Yeah, more hp. The latest Maxima does have a larger engine. The rest is just sheetmetal changes. Not much has really changed in the car. It IS an aging chassis. At best, minor sheetmetal changes. You act like the 5th generation car is an entirely different car. From a manufacturing standpoint, it isn't even close.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:07 PM

Re: 95-99 are better than 2000+

Originally posted by mblasko85
I have a question? Why did they ever change the body from the 95-99... Those bodies are the best. Even though they dont have 255 HP im sure they could get it to w/ the same 95-99 bodies. Man and the new 2004 pictures that ive seen... if they are real... they are ugly. Thats what i think. What is your all opinions?
i think the 2k is the best looking body style.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:00 AM

My .02 cents

So far I've owned 2 3rd gen., 1 fourth, and 2 fifth generation and it has done nothing but gotten better each time to me. Even though my 92 SE hold fond memories every time I jump in my 2k2 they are quickly forgotten
Old 07-08-2002, 03:46 AM

Re: My .02 cents

Originally posted by MAXlove
So far I've owned 2 3rd gen., 1 fourth, and 2 fifth generation and it has done nothing but gotten better each time to me. Even though my 92 SE hold fond memories every time I jump in my 2k2 they are quickly forgotten
92 gxe
98 se
72 240z
loved em all
Old 07-08-2002, 05:48 AM

maybe YOU need to take another look. From the side, the car isn't much different from the 4th generation. In fact, not a whole heck of a lot has changed from the 4th gen. Yeah, more hp. The latest Maxima does have a larger engine. The rest is just sheetmetal changes. Not much has really changed in the car. It IS an aging chassis. At best, minor sheetmetal changes. You act like the 5th generation car is an entirely different car. From a manufacturing standpoint, it isn't even close.
For someone who doesn't know me you are making assumptions you cannot make.

1. there was a 2inch wheel base increase for the 5th generation
2. 2.8 inches longer and .5 inches longer
3. if the car was so similar as you have stated, why don't part numbers line up? have you tried to put a 4th generation fstb on a 5thgen? what about springs or shocks? They are not the same. In my first post rebutting your notions I did say that the car does have the engine block. Thats about the only designation that will cross over from a 4th gen to a 5th gen.

4. The design hasn't changed much? obviously you havent looked at 4th generation 95-99.5 and a 5th generation 2000-2003.
http://www.max-performance.net/image...ews%20maxi.jpg
http://www.max-performance.net/image...sons%20Max.JPG

Here is my last question for you mr wizard... if our cars are unibody constructed...how do you have an aging chassis when the chassis has to be recreated for a new body... think about that.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:00 AM

I beleive what he means is this:

The 5th Gen was not an all new car, Nissan would like for everyone to think so however. Same platform as gen 4, with a stretched wheelbase, new interior, new sheetmetal, tweaked engine. Basically, I see gen 5 as a reworked gen 4. Gen 5 was Nissan's quick answer to a larger roomier interior.

Now onto MY opinions. Gen 3 is best on the looks dept. Gen 4 feels best as for quality and size (and worst looking rear end). Gen 5 feels too big for my tastes, but I am one of the few that LOVE the rear end styling, but hate the HUGE cow-catcher fordish oval grille up front. Gen 5 has some cheaper interior pieces and paint vs gen 4 as well. I am very curious to the final design of gen 6. But gen 3's looks will remain in my heart forever.

Also,You can see where Nissan cut some costs on gen 5 vs gen 4. Very obvious.

With all this said and with the 3.5 attached to a 6 speed manual, I would not kick a 2002 SE max out of my driveway at all.

Note: I own a gen 4 and my best pal owns a gen 5, and I also sold Nissans during the run of gen 2, 3 and 4 maximas. I am very familiar with All but gen 1 maximas. I feel my opinions are well weighted.

For someone who doesn't know me you are making assumptions you cannot make.

1. there was a 2inch wheel base increase for the 5th generation
2. 2.8 inches longer and .5 inches longer
3. if the car was so similar as you have stated, why don't part numbers line up? have you tried to put a 4th generation fstb on a 5thgen? what about springs or shocks? They are not the same. In my first post rebutting your notions I did say that the car does have the engine block. Thats about the only designation that will cross over from a 4th gen to a 5th gen.

4. The design hasn't changed much? obviously you havent looked at 4th generation 95-99.5 and a 5th generation 2000-2003.
http://www.max-performance.net/image...ews%20maxi.jpg
http://www.max-performance.net/image...sons%20Max.JPG

Here is my last question for you mr wizard... if our cars are unibody constructed...how do you have an aging chassis when the chassis has to be recreated for a new body... think about that.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:38 AM

Re: I beleive what he means is this:

Originally posted by JettmiesterMax
The 5th Gen was not an all new car, Nissan would like for everyone to think so however. Same platform as gen 4, with a stretched wheelbase, new interior, new sheetmetal, tweaked engine. Basically, I see gen 5 as a reworked gen 4. Gen 5 was Nissan's quick answer to a larger roomier interior.
I'm not stating that it 5th gen is a "NEW" car design structurally speaking. Legit question, no flames, how can it the same platform when it doesn't share the same body? The car doesn't have a frame with a body attached.. I think that as you mentions it a cheaper way to improve on a car... but...you've mentioned new wheelbase, tweaked engine, new sheetmetal... What more constitutes a new design?

Now onto MY opinions. Gen 3 is best on the looks dept. Gen 4 feels best as for quality and size (and worst looking rear end). Gen 5 feels too big for my tastes, but I am one of the few that LOVE the rear end styling, but hate the HUGE cow-catcher fordish oval grille up front. Gen 5 has some cheaper interior pieces and paint vs gen 4 as well. I am very curious to the final design of gen 6. But gen 3's looks will remain in my heart forever.

With all this said and with the 3.5 attached to a 6 speed manual, I would not kick a 2002 SE max out of my driveway at all.

Note: I own a gen 4 and my best pal owns a gen 5, and I also sold Nissans during the run of gen 2, 3 and 4 maximas. I am very familiar with All but gen 1 maximas. I feel my opinions are well weighted.
Then you can help shed some light upon the differences, and how they add up to your statement. I agree completely that Nissan took every oportunity to same money on the 5th gen. But you and Rugnik both seem to feel that the differences are like that of the 2000-2001 and the 2002. I feel that when you have changed the body/frame, interior, exterior, wheels, exhaust, enigne(intake). You can no longer say that the car is SOOOOOO similar... it has the same engine block, same typeof suspension, same brand of stereo...
Old 07-08-2002, 12:03 PM

Re: I beleive what he means is this:

Well, a new design is some like the G20 -> G35, or the old Altima and the new one, or even 3rd Gen -> 4th Gen Maximas. I think when someone says "new design," he is referring to a whole new body, inside and out. I agree that the 5th Gen is just a modified version of the 4th Gen. Even if parts are directly interchangable, it is only because of the slight modifications in the 5th Gen's subtle suspension/engine and styling that make it different.

Originally posted by JettmiesterMax

I'm not sure what you're referring to...could you tell me where they cut costs?
Old 07-08-2002, 01:31 PM

Re: Re: I beleive what he means is this:

Originally posted by TurDz
Well, a new design is some like the G20 -> G35, or the old Altima and the new one, or even 3rd Gen -> 4th Gen Maximas. I think when someone says "new design," he is referring to a whole new body, inside and out. I agree that the 5th Gen is just a modified version of the 4th Gen. Even if parts are directly interchangable, it is only because of the slight modifications in the 5th Gen's subtle suspension/engine and styling that make it different.

I'm not sure what you're referring to...could you tell me where they cut costs?
I see where you are going with this Turdz, but its not like the g35 is replacing the g20. I guess I don't see the 4th gen maxima in the 5th gens body. Slight engine modifications? subtle? I guess you don't see a variable intake manifold do you? that 32hp difference is pretty subtle, its not like you can just bolt that on to your 99se. I guess because the 2 generations have a beam and linkage rear suspension thats why the car isn't a new design? Someone please post a real alikeness to the 4th gen other than the engine code.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by carnal_c30
I like the styling of the exterior and interior of the 4th gens.. but the 5th gens have many things that are better than us... when the 5th gens first came out... i was really disappointed but the look has grown on me and the features+quality on the 5th gens is better

and in the looks department, after seeing Hoons car, Kevs car, and mingo's car in person, I really like the 5th gens!

2k2s however... haha... they look odd it will take time getting used to them especially with their hamburger sized hamburger emblem and the wierd tails
Took the words out of my mouth
Old 07-08-2002, 03:44 PM

I owned both cars!!!

I owned a 1995 SE before my 2000 SE. Both cars are nice, the 4th gen was a great car and the 2000 is a great car. The main differences I see in the two are, the body styles are very different. The 5th gen is more sleekly styled, I also say the 5th gen feels more "solid" in relation to the 4th gen. The 4th gen did seem a bit quicker off the line through 1-2, but the 5th pulls better from 40mph on. Both of my cars have automatic trannys . All is all I like my 5th gen better.

Main differences I see are:
Styling(exterior and interior)
VAIS(additional 32hp mainly)
Larger wheels

So to answer the question:
The two cars are different, 5th gen is more refined in my opinion, is it faster, about the same!
Old 07-08-2002, 03:50 PM

I owned both, there are major differences in the two cars. Mechnically there are differences and styling wise as well.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:04 PM

whats does everyone think about putting the new vq3.5 and hlsd tranny in a 4th gen. ?? best combination of new and old if you ask me -Pete
Old 07-08-2002, 04:09 PM

Re: Re: I beleive what he means is this:

SAME PLATFORM. It is minor change from the 4th generation platform. I parked my 4th generation right next to a 5th generation. Guess what? From the side, they look considerably alike.

The camry went through a similar changes over the years. From like 1992 until 2000, the Camry used the SAME platform. The 2001 Camry is the first "all new" Camry in 8 years. Look at the 1992 and the 1999 Camry and you go hmm...I can see the same platform. 2k1 you go...ahh a whole new platform. You want a Toyota Avalon? Guess what? It shares the SAME platform as the Camry.

The same can be said about the Cavalier. Guess what? It has used the same platform for what? 12 years? A 1990 Cavalier shares nearly the same platform as a 2k2.

The 5th generation maxima isn't "all new". Sure, the platform has been stretched slightly and is slightly wider but overall the car is the same. Interior changes are easy and don't cost much since the platform hasn't changed much. Yes, it has a new engine but the 2000 maxima engine wasn't a major feat. Minor tweaks from a manufacturing standpoint.

I am not ******* the 5th generation maxima. It shares more from a manufacturing standpoint with the 4th generation than you seem to realize.

With all this said, the next generation maxima is going to share the same platform as the altima.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: I beleive what he means is this:

SAME PLATFORM. It is minor change from the 4th generation platform. I parked my 4th generation right next to a 5th generation. Guess what? From the side, they look considerably alike.
I still am dumfounded that you can honestly say they look alike from the side or from the front. I guess you can say they are from the same platform.. they are both Maxima's but to say that a minor change.. is stretching the truth a lot. These aren't like late 70 chevy trucks that you can just unscrew yout body mounts and exchange the trunk. I think that if you were saying "Gee the maxima looks like an Infiniti I30...they share the same platform" I could justify saying... you know he's right. And if they are so similar, let me go try and do a front end swap from Cutlr7s Maxima and fit it on my car.

The camry went through a similar changes over the years. From like 1992 until 2000, the Camry used the SAME platform. The 2001 Camry is the first "all new" Camry in 8 years. Look at the 1992 and the 1999 Camry and you go hmm...I can see the same platform. 2k1 you go...ahh a whole new platform. You want a Toyota Avalon? Guess what? It shares the SAME platform as the Camry.

The same can be said about the Cavalier. Guess what? It has used the same platform for what? 12 years? A 1990 Cavalier shares nearly the same platform as a 2k2.
Thanks for the history lesson, i'm still trying to your point.

The 5th generation maxima isn't "all new". Sure, the platform has been stretched slightly and is slightly wider but overall the car is the same. Interior changes are easy and don't cost much since the platform hasn't changed much. Yes, it has a new engine but the 2000 maxima engine wasn't a major feat. Minor tweaks from a manufacturing standpoint.
hmmm, saying that they had to "tweak" the engine compartment to allow the Variable intake. Your not talking about minor feats... I'm sure that you go into your garage and tweak your car like this on a weekly basis. I am also under the assumption that you have a background in engineering to be telling us how easy it is to do these tweaks. Your right they didn't re-invent the maxima. But you are speaking of the cars as if there was a redesign of the grill or a tail light.. those are minor feats. People redo those everyday.

I am not ******* the 5th generation maxima. It shares more from a manufacturing standpoint with the 4th generation than you seem to realize.

With all this said, the next generation maxima is going to share the same platform as the altima.
where have you read that?
Old 07-08-2002, 04:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I beleive what he means is this:

looks like you need to go take a course in engineering and unibody construction. The platform from the 4th to the 5th didn't change much at all. Look at the car from the side. Hmm..same roofline. The front and rear of the car are very similar to the 4th generation. You keep looking and the front end and rear end and go but it is different! I park my 4th gen next to 5th gens all the time.

I can't make the variable intake but it is child's play for Nissan and the R&D for it was peanuts compared to a complete redesign.

The rumors that I have heard put the maxima on a modified altima platform.
Old 07-08-2002, 05:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I beleive what he means is this:

looks like you need to go take a course in engineering and unibody construction.
thats the pot calling the kettle black.
The platform from the 4th to the 5th didn't change much at all. Look at the car from the side. Hmm..same roofline. The front and rear of the car are very similar to the 4th generation..
again your talking in between puffs of that glass pipe.. Same roofline? I think you need to take some pictures to have better evidence of your opinion. They don't have similar profiles or resemble it.
You keep looking and the front end and rear end and go but it is different! I park my 4th gen next to 5th gens all the time.
So do I
I can't make the variable intake but it is child's play for Nissan and the R&D for it was peanuts compared to a complete redesign.
so you are saying that it isn't an easy feat? except in the hands of engineers...which you are not either. I've seen the diagrams for the MEVI, and putting it together is very challenging. As told by speedtrip and Iansw.

The rumors that I have heard put the maxima on a modified altima platform.
I thought we were talking something a little closer to fact than rumors here.
Old 07-08-2002, 05:40 PM

5th gens rule, 4th gens are old
Old 07-08-2002, 05:43 PM

I didn't like the 5th gen look at first but it grows on you. Especially after seeing some nicely fixed up Maxs on this forum. Either way I still like the 4th gen body the best. Personally, I think the new Altima's look better than the new Maxima's and that sucks.
Old 07-08-2002, 06:50 PM

alright lemme see if theres a correlation here , all the people here who like the 5th gen which skyline do your prefer r33 or r34 ?? 4th geners ?
Old 07-08-2002, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by MaxSE98
alright lemme see if theres a correlation here , all the people here who like the 5th gen which skyline do your prefer r33 or r34 ?? 4th geners ?
What are you trying to see if someone is going to post that the maxima is a shortcut rip off of the r33? Rutnick, can you give us some insight?
Old 07-08-2002, 07:55 PM
Former Sponsor

What are you trying to see if someone is going to post that the maxima is a shortcut rip off of the r33? Rutnick, can you give us some insight?
more of a style of design... the 4th gens are conservative while the 5th gens are less so.. the R33 Skyline is conservative while the R34 is not... that said I prefet the R33 Skyline
Old 07-08-2002, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by MaxSE98

r35
Old 07-08-2002, 10:13 PM

I agree. Have a 97SE and love it.

The body style for the newer ones is just too crisp...i think.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I beleive what he means is this:

You totally keep missing the point and it keeps flying over your head.

You also keep pounding on a variable intake like it is some feat of magic. It isn't. It is a minor modification for a company that is of Nissan's size. You keep thinking in aspects of how you or I can or can't do something and not of what it costs a company to do something vs a total redesign of the entire engine. You keep looking at the intake and going, "but you can't do it" or "two people here said it was hard". You miss the bigger picture of "it is child's play for a company with the resources of Nissan". It cost them nearly nothing to test out a theory vs redoing the entire engine to get the additional 30+ hp. It was propably designed on a computer. They then made a working test mule and then put it into production. It is no different to them than changing the rear trunk area and front bumper in the 1997 maxima vs the 1995-1996. Can you do that one? They did and kept it the same generation. You act like it is totally differnt motor in the 2k. It isn't.

You can throw pictures at me and also keep saying that the 5th generation is "much different" than the 4th generation platform. It still won't change that it isn't. You keep missing the point that they share the same platform. Going blah blah blah and making references to 1970s trucks also isn't going to change it. Nissan using the 4th generation platform saved them a TON of money in development.

As far as the next generation maxima using the altima platform, use your search function on this board and use it on the internet. The info is there.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:11 AM
syc

I remembered talking to a Japanese friend of mine. he saw me just got a 4th gen and wanna test drive my car. while driving, he was saying how he dislike the look of the 5th gen (at that time I think the styling of the 5th gen was pretty cool and I think it's pretty cool now but not as much) The reason was he think the 5th gen looks more American style rather than japanese. now, I think I understand what was he trying to say. Japanese car used to be more compact design but preseve a pretty good "useful" interior or trunk space. you can feel more effort was being put in the early japanese car, like the quality of the interior and exterior are better (quality not technology). I feel 3rd gen is better than 4th and 4th is better than 5th in term of quality (again, quality not technology)

I think all the japanese cars are changing now. look at the new Camry, the car just look ugly as hell. Even the Civic, which well known for it's compact design, are bigger than ever and look ugly as hell too. while the japanese car are getting bigger and bigger, the American car are getting smaller and smaller. what happen?
Old 07-09-2002, 02:51 AM

i think the rear end on the 4th gens look nice, and even tho it was designed over 8 years ago i think it is a real sexy car. but the 5th gens look more modern, and a lot less square than the previous 2 gens. same platform or not, the 4th gens look nothing like 5th gens, in any way, and the interior design is night and day.

now being a 2k2 is a 5th gen, i dont think theres any1 here who would turn down one for a 3rd or 4th gen. in my opinion, with the inevitable changes for the future max's, the 2k2's and 2k3's will be the most sought after max's for some time