General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Vapors & ne1 w/ smaller SC pulley.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2000, 10:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Does the noise at idle increase with a smaller pulley? I had heard that DavidL7's car was really loud.

Jim
Old 12-08-2000, 10:32 AM
vapors smx

very slighlty. however, our v1 is as quiet sock vs a v2( we had one of the last v1's that stillen carried). we compared it to i30krabs v2 and it was almost the same. with the smaller pulley, the sc will be spinning at a faster rate at idle, ie. more noise. our sc at idle sounds like a sewing machine. at wot, it sounds like a turbine. you shouldnt be disturbed with a smaller pulley. hope i helped. NOW GET THAT SMALLER PULLEY!!

Old 12-08-2000, 10:46 AM
Vic

hmm... smaller pulley = less cricket (sewing machine) noise...
Vic

Originally posted by vapors smx
very slighlty. however, our v1 is as quiet sock vs a v2( we had one of the last v1's that stillen carried). we compared it to i30krabs v2 and it was almost the same. with the smaller pulley, the sc will be spinning at a faster rate at idle, ie. more noise. our sc at idle sounds like a sewing machine. at wot, it sounds like a turbine. you shouldnt be disturbed with a smaller pulley. hope i helped. NOW GET THAT SMALLER PULLEY!!
Old 12-08-2000, 10:55 AM

Could you rephrase that 2nd sentence? I didn't quite get that. A stock V1 is as quiet as a V2? Who got the last V1 and compared it to a V2?

I've heard MattP's V1 and it was perfectly quiet, esp. compared to mine, but no one was really sure why.

Jim
Old 12-08-2000, 11:00 AM
vapors smx

sorry, let me rephrase this.

We had one of the last v1's to be sold by stillen. it was rumored that they were much quiter then some of the ealier v1's. when I30krab visited with us we got to compare superchargers. he has a vortech v2, while i have a vortech v1. when compared in noise, our v1 was almost as silent as his v2.

the rumor was that they refined the v1 design. i dont know if this is true, but we have heard lorens in person(earlier v1) and his was much louder. Skimax has a v1 that he got it almost the same time we did and his was just as quiet.

dont know why there is a difference in the same model though.

Old 12-08-2000, 11:14 AM

sorry, let me rephrase this.

We had one of the last v1's to be sold by stillen. it was rumored that they were much quiter then some of the ealier v1's. when I30krab visited with us we got to compare superchargers. he has a vortech v2, while i have a vortech v1. when compared in noise, our v1 was almost as silent as his v2.

the rumor was that they refined the v1 design. i dont know if this is true, but we have heard lorens in person(earlier v1) and his was much louder. Skimax has a v1 that he got it almost the same time we did and his was just as quiet.

dont know why there is a difference in the same model though.
Ah yes, I think mine is similar to Loren's since they were both purchased new almost immediately after they became available toward the end of 1998. I stopped by when MattP had his V1 installed in Feb2000 (?) and you couldn't even hear the SC with the hood open! I suspect that Vortec implemented the V2 'design' early and just badged them as V1 kits. The difference was tremendous. Loren has told me that he's heard several V1 kits and the noise at idle varied greatly. I wonder if DavidL7's was one of the earlier kits.

Jim
Old 12-08-2000, 11:31 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

sorry boss...
smaller pulley = SC spinning faster...= more noise.
Dan

Originally posted by Vic
Vic

Old 12-08-2000, 01:30 PM
Vic

but Dan
would spinning faster be equivalant to higher rpm's?
i don't mind the high pitched whine at high rpm's..
its just the freaken crickets under my hood at idle!
Vic

Originally posted by DanNY
sorry boss...
Dan

Originally posted by Vic
Vic

Old 12-08-2000, 01:34 PM

Where do you buy this magical 3.48 pulley??
Old 12-08-2000, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by sparkymax96
Stillen
http://www.stillen.com

Vortec
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/
Old 12-08-2000, 04:30 PM
Vic

ok..i'm ordering one next week =)
from vortech
part #'s
2A036-348 pulley
and
8R101-001 assembly+key
$57.90 not bad for a few more pounds of boost
Vic

Originally posted by VQracer
Originally posted by sparkymax96
Stillen
http://www.stillen.com

Vortec
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/
Old 12-08-2000, 05:15 PM
vapors smx

dont forget install. if you are very handy you can do it yourself, however it requires full removal of the sc from the engine. rather then risking braking a bolt in the engine(they loctite they bolts from the bracket to the engine) i had my local shop do it for about 300. took them 7 hours.

Old 12-08-2000, 06:18 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

well yes..but not THAT much higher..
Dan

Originally posted by Vic
but Dan
would spinning faster be equivalant to higher rpm's?
i don't mind the high pitched whine at high rpm's..
its just the freaken crickets under my hood at idle!
Vic

sorry boss...
Dan

Originally posted by Vic
Vic

Old 12-08-2000, 06:21 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

HOLY SHEEEIT...300 bucks!! wow!! well the loctite makes it that much harder.
Dan

dont forget install. if you are very handy you can do it yourself, however it requires full removal of the sc from the engine. rather then risking braking a bolt in the engine(they loctite they bolts from the bracket to the engine) i had my local shop do it for about 300. took them 7 hours.
Old 12-08-2000, 06:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

HOLY SHEEEIT...300 bucks!! wow!! well the loctite makes it that much harder.
Dan
hehehe now u know what to charge dan incase u ever have to do anything like that again
Old 12-09-2000, 06:07 AM
Vic

Dan,
do it for me! lol
Vic