General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Raced a Mitsubishi Eclipse yesterday -->

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2000, 12:12 PM

It was the previous shape body, he had that half oval shape spoiler on the back. And the hood on one side had the bulge on it. Is that for Turbo charger?

Well anyways,
I was driving in 5th gear doing about 55mph, I started to pass him and looked over at him, he was with his girl there, so he smiled....
I was ready to down shift, I noticed his car dive, so I downshifted to 3rd, Max started to pull. Passed him in 3rd till redline, now I was in 4th gear, he was about 4-5 cars length back.
I slowed down after hitting 100 in 4th gear. Damn it was 45 mph zone .

Anyways my question is, was that Eclipse Turbo or not. He did have that bulge on the hood, which I mentioned above, but the exhaust was stock, and only had one tip.
The reason I am saying that is beacuse my friend has 95 Talon Turbo, which is the same thing as Eclipse, and he as dual tips.

Old 12-08-2000, 12:27 PM

I believe the bulge is for the cam gears (DOHC), not a turbo.
Old 12-08-2000, 12:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I believer the bulge is there for the turbo,

but the non turbo ones have the same bulge anyways ,I guess Mist. did not feel like going through the hassle of making two hoods,also GSX {turbo eclipses} have a large rear spoiler kind of like the Supra wing,my guess is this was not a turbo because if it was it would have been a close race,one of my friends has a Eclipse non turbo with a intake and greedy cat back exaust and the car is really slow.
Old 12-08-2000, 01:37 PM

Kinda

emax95.. thats not entirely true...
not all GSX's have a supra wing.. maybe the prior gen does but not all GSX's ..
the bulge does not mean turbo...
turbo can be seen with a few things
1)stock exhaust with TWO tips..
2)bottom of car is gray (last 2-3 inches before ground)
3)car says GS-T or GSX on the back..

last way to tell if it's a turbo is if you hear the turbo or blow off valve.. stock turbo's are quiet so if you can hear the turbo it's upgraded in which case don't bother racing unless you have serious mods...

non-turbo eclipses are SLOW... really slow ..if he kept up with you at all it's a turbo ..
if you beat him by 4-5 car lenghts on the highway it's prolly a non turbo..

Ant
Old 12-08-2000, 01:40 PM

Re: I believer the bulge is there for the turbo,

GS-T and GS-X both have turbo's. GS-X is all wheel drive + Turbo and GS-T is front wheel drive.

Anything else is just POS slow junk.

My friend Brian had a semi-modded GS-X and I could keep even with him from a roll start (2nd gear).. Never tried from a dead stop. I know he runs mid 14's so I think he would whoop me from dead stop.

I think you could keep up with a turbo (light, or no mods).. But you wouldn't whoop them at all.. You probably raced an RS or something.

A highly modded GS-T or GS-X would tear you up like you were nothing.

Originally posted by emax95
but the non turbo ones have the same bulge anyways ,I guess Mist. did not feel like going through the hassle of making two hoods,also GSX {turbo eclipses} have a large rear spoiler kind of like the Supra wing,my guess is this was not a turbo because if it was it would have been a close race,one of my friends has a Eclipse non turbo with a intake and greedy cat back exaust and the car is really slow.
Old 12-08-2000, 01:52 PM
OG

Like my man Ant said, the turbo eclipse aren't the only one with the supra wing. There are numerous ways you can tell if it's a turbo. Easiest way is to simply look on the rear, normally on the passenger side rear and look for a gst or gsx. another way is the exhaust, dual=turbo. Another way is in the front of the car where an aftermarket intercooler would go. The turbo's have a small inlet on the for the stock intercooler on the passenger side. Not visible unless you bend down and look at it.
Old 12-08-2000, 02:15 PM

heres the deal on dsm cars

1gen = very hard to tell the difference. can not tell from the front end. the rear. NOT all turbo's have dual exhaust tips. some are sneaky.
they did have gs turbo's in the first gens
second gen 95-96 = hard to tell if its a turbo or not due to the fact on the rs-gs gst and gsx the front ends are the exact same with the opening on both sides. same spoilers, this is when they went to duel tips for the turbo's.
97-99 not all turbo's have the supra style wing, the limited gs's had the wing as well. it was a factory option, but the gst and gsx had the wing

the buldge in the hood is for clearance on the cams gears. not the turbo. the turbo is in the front