General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Question about the very distinct rumble from a stock BMW muffler

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 03:14 PM

Question about the very distinct rumble from a BMW muffler.....ok this is OT sorry

This is the sound I would like and I hoped removing the resonator would do this but I have been told it would not. The distinct sound that the bimmer has is it because of the firing order of the inline six or is the muffler responsible for the nice purr. The sound is good a little rumble but not too much
Old 07-08-2002, 03:16 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

i'm sure it has to do with the technology in the muffler (and maybe some with the engine). I know that they have a dual chamber muffler (where only one outlet opens under low RPM's and the other after a certain RPM's. But if you notice, a 330 sounds alot more 'throatier' than a 325/323. It must be that double VANOS engine
Old 07-08-2002, 03:18 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

THIS IS WAY OT!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2002, 03:21 PM
I'm needing a caw

The bmw mufflers are dual chambered like the skyline/2000+ maxima ones are?

BTW. I have a full cat back and the 2000 muffler. Mine has a real nice low rumble at idle.

Also, the tone if the sound is greatly affected by the displacement of the engine also.

Originally posted by NickStam
i'm sure it has to do with the technology in the muffler (and maybe some with the engine). I know that they have a dual chamber muffler (where only one outlet opens under low RPM's and the other after a certain RPM's. But if you notice, a 330 sounds alot more 'throatier' than a 325/323. It must be that double VANOS engine
Old 07-08-2002, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by NickStam
THIS IS WAY OT!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup it is OT sorry I am sitting on the porch and a 3 series just drove by and liked the sound and wanted to post.......
Old 07-08-2002, 03:59 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Jeff is right, there is no replacement for displacement. That's why all those 1.6L civics/4 bangers sound aweful under WOT with the fart can mufflers.

If you want rumble, go with a flowmasters...i know my setup sounds MUCH different then a greddy or other conventional setup.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Jeff is right, there is no replacement for displacement. That's why all those 1.6L civics/4 bangers sound aweful under WOT with the fart can mufflers.

If you want rumble, go with a flowmasters...i know my setup sounds MUCH different then a greddy or other conventional setup.
then why does an inline 2.5 from the bimmer sound better then a maxma with a 3litre ?i personally think it has to do with the valvetrain setup first, then it moves to the way the exhaust hangs the thickness of the tubing all the way back. ive played alot with my exhaust and ive got a nice burble at low rpms that i got by securing my exhaust setup to the frame more. so there )
Old 07-08-2002, 04:13 PM
I'm needing a caw

Sound better? That's pretty subjective. But the motor config could make a difference(valvetrain doesn't really make a difference). Since all of the exhuast is one side for the inline 6, it could be different. But in general, displacement is probably one of the biggest factors. I suppose you can make a big displacement sound crappy, but it's next to impossible to make a small displacement 4 cylinder sound deep and nice.

You have to remember, yes that bmw is only 2.5 liters but it's still a 6 cylinder.

There's nothing like a small displacement V12 Ferrari at full song. I think they are only about 5 liters or so.(the older ones anyway)

Originally posted by MaxSE98
then why does an inline 2.5 from the bimmer sound better then a maxma with a 3litre ?i personally think it has to do with the valvetrain setup first, then it moves to the way the exhaust hangs the thickness of the tubing all the way back. ive played alot with my exhaust and ive got a nice burble at low rpms that i got by securing my exhaust setup to the frame more. so there )
Old 07-08-2002, 04:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Jeff92se
The bmw mufflers are dual chambered like the skyline/2000+ maxima ones are?
It's just a gimmick!!! I know it's just a gimmick!!! Those BMW engineers don't know what the hell they're doing!!!

Dual chambered mufflers =

BTW, I love the way my exhaust system sounds with the OEM variable-capacity muffler installed. Talk about purrrrrrring.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:39 PM

The 330i doesnt use a Variable Capacity muffler. I just started my moms 330 and exhaust came out of both tips. I dont think any BMW uses a VC muffler, but I could be wrong.
Old 07-08-2002, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Sound better? That's pretty subjective. But the motor config could make a difference(valvetrain doesn't really make a difference). Since all of the exhuast is one side for the inline 6, it could be different. But in general, displacement is probably one of the biggest factors. I suppose you can make a big displacement sound crappy, but it's next to impossible to make a small displacement 4 cylinder sound deep and nice.

You have to remember, yes that bmw is only 2.5 liters but it's still a 6 cylinder.

There's nothing like a small displacement V12 Ferrari at full song. I think they are only about 5 liters or so.(the older ones anyway)

have u heard some of the more upscale exhausts that u can get for WRX's? they are easy to mistake for v8's and turn heads, im not sure which system is the one ive heard on this car so many times. anyways jeff i think your right i think its the nature of block and how the pistons fire but if putting a performance cam in definately changes engine harmonics and sound then why wouldnt differences in the valvetrain ?
Old 07-08-2002, 06:48 PM

i think it is due to the fact that the engines are inline. notice even Jeeps sound very distinct when they start up and drive by. 4.0 is an inline 6. very different than say a chevy V6. same is true for our V6 and a BMW inline.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I really like the way my 330 sounds, especially at low RPMs.
And Nick was right about the muffler. Valve opens at certain RPMs. You can actually hear it clanking while driving in a garage or next to a wall. That sound is very soft but can be annoying sometimes though.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:53 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

It has to do with firing order and cyclinder numbers. Displacement does help things out. A good example is the General Motors Gen I/II 350s vs the new LS1 motors. The Gen I/II motors have that distinctive rumble and clean sound at all rpms. The LS1, on the otherhand, sounds very mechanical and lacks the deep hollow rumble of the older engines. The difference? Firing order. Don't get me wrong, you can get an LS1 to sound good, but it doesn't match the sound quality of the older 350s. Most F-Body guys agree on this. Ford on the otherhand pulled of the impossible by making their smaller and completely different 4.6 sound just like the 5.0. Simply amazing.

You'll never get a V8 rumble from a V6. It might sound good from idle to 2500rpms, but after that there's no mistaking there are only 6 pistons working.

I've found that my setup has a very nice throatiness at idle and in the lower rpms. There's just enough noise to let you know that this car isn't stock. Anything above 4000rpm is drowned out by the intake. A throttle induced tunable exhaust, if you will At cruise, my car sounds much like stock. No drone, no buzz. I've got a Y-pipe, B-pipe with no resonator, stock muffler, and a 3.5" resonated tip.

Dave
Old 07-08-2002, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

i didnt even read this thread, all i can say is dammmmmm ur sig pic is nice
Old 07-08-2002, 09:17 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!

i didnt even read this thread, all i can say is dammmmmm ur sig pic is nice
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=134592

Thanks bro for the compliment, '95s are the SHlT arent they? Soon I will be 5-speed like you and Dave B. and THEN I will feel the POWAH!
Old 07-08-2002, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by AndyXXL
I really like the way my 330 sounds, especially at low RPMs.
And Nick was right about the muffler. Valve opens at certain RPMs. You can actually hear it clanking while driving in a garage or next to a wall. That sound is very soft but can be annoying sometimes though.
Are you sure??? My moms 330i doesnt exhibit this sound. Like I said, I started the car up and exhuast exited both tips. On my Maxima, it only flows out one tip. Then when u rev it, the other tip opens and they flow in conjunction.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:26 AM
Former Sponsor

I really liked the exhaust note of the older 325s and 525s back in the early-mid 90's those sounded alot better than the newer ones just my opinion

and the WRX? it makes 'odd' sounds because its a flat four... its really distinctive, especially when coming down off of acceleration as the engine winds down it aint no V8 sound but it is sweet!
Old 07-09-2002, 06:07 AM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

Are you sure??? My moms 330i doesnt exhibit this sound. Like I said, I started the car up and exhuast exited both tips. On my Maxima, it only flows out one tip. Then when u rev it, the other tip opens and they flow in conjunction.
Check this out.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ight=resonator
Old 07-09-2002, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by AndyXXL

Check this out.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ight=resonator
Learn something new everyday. I just looked into it further and noticed the solenoid and valve. When the car is off the valve is open and when the car is at idle the valve is open. Is this normal?? When does the valve close??
Old 07-09-2002, 03:16 PM

Learn something new everyday. I just looked into it further and noticed the solenoid and valve. When the car is off the valve is open and when the car is at idle the valve is open. Is this normal?? When does the valve close??
I think it closes when you step on gas to create more backpressure resulting in increased torque. It opens up again once you've reached the desired speed.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:07 AM

The 330i doesnt use a Variable Capacity muffler. I just started my moms 330 and exhaust came out of both tips. I dont think any BMW uses a VC muffler, but I could be wrong.
You are absolutely correct. At idle exhaust fumes come out of both tips but bend down (I suggest with the engine off) and look into the right tail pipe and you will see the metal flap that can close and open depending on engine rpms. If you look behind the bumper of the 330i next to the right tailpipe you will be able to see the regulator that controls this flap under different driving conditions. Hope that clears some things up.