Group Deals / Sponsors Forum Find out more information on group deals that are going on for Maxima parts from our Sponsors.

Ksport 2005 Drift Season KickOff Special. $740 shipped!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005 | 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Nathan
Wei, congrats!

I'm hoping to receive my set before this weekend so I can show all the Toronto guys this Sunday at our big monthly meet. If others want them I'll send them your way.
Nathan, I'm pulling for you. I hope you recieve them before the week-end too.
I'm dying to buy these also, but would feel alot better once I've been able to experience them first hand.
Old 05-25-2005 | 03:47 PM

Ksports

So what's the verdict??? All you guys that got them already.....I've heard from a few guys, but not everybody that has them. I'm ready to order. It seems like the reviews have been good so far. Anybody else care to chime in on any BAD stuff.......or are these the best thing next to sliced bread?
Old 05-25-2005 | 04:37 PM

sliced bread i dunno, but in the field of suspension YES!
Old 05-25-2005 | 05:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Duck
hell i have had great customer service from ksport, and i have done a lot to get their name out there... and i think a lot of you can vouch for that one
I can definitely vouch for Ksport CO's being incredible. The bouncy ride I mentioned before was taken care of after finding a bit of preload on all the springs. There still hasn't been a peep coming from the pillowballs, either. Now I can't wait for my new wheels to get rid of that 'tucked in' look.
Old 05-25-2005 | 05:58 PM

Man, I really can't wait....!!!
Anyone willing to venture thoughts on if these are going to provide weight savings as well???????? (Compared to stock for sure, right? I would be comparing to Eibach/Koni yellows...)
Old 05-25-2005 | 06:37 PM

the whole ksport kit weights in about 42-45 lbs. Some one with the replaced stock suspension will be able to tell you how much the stockers weight.
Old 05-25-2005 | 06:54 PM

Sweeeet! Thats some great news/info..

I have to figure that the eibachs are.. at least.. 8lbs per corner and the konis... maybe 15...? that would make the weight savings around 50 lbs!!! Gotta love that the handling goes way up and the unsprung weight goes down!
Old 05-25-2005 | 07:29 PM

Question about installing them:

What torque do I have to tighten the lower strut mount bolts to?
Old 05-25-2005 | 11:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i will tell you this much on weight, the two front struts and springs weigh as much as all 4 coilovers... man it was disgusting... lol it def saves on some weight
Old 05-26-2005 | 12:45 AM

thanks....got my suspension yesterday!!! will install it tomorrow!!!! does it come with any stickers???
Old 05-26-2005 | 06:01 AM

Wei, thanks I just got my coilovers today! .....please check your pm.
Old 05-26-2005 | 06:29 AM

ksport throws in a free tshirt half the time but not always. Depends on who packed the product... You can always ask for stickers from ksportusa.com They are free i believe.
Old 05-26-2005 | 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Duck
i will tell you this much on weight, the two front struts and springs weigh as much as all 4 coilovers... man it was disgusting... lol it def saves on some weight
Were you converting from stock suspension?? Tnx
Old 05-26-2005 | 11:07 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Just called Courtesy Nissan. I can't tell you about the Konis, but I can tell you about the stock SE parts:

Struts = 9 lbs each
Shocks = 8 lbs each
Springs = 8 lbs each

Total Front = 35 lbs
Total Rear = 32 lbs

Grand Total = 67 lbs

Assuming the worst-case scenario, that the K-Sports weigh 45 lbs total, then they will save 22 lbs unsprung over stock!

Can't say how much Eibachs and Konis weigh, but judging by the fact that a pair of Koni Yellows for an Acura Integra weighs almost 20 lbs, the weight saving over that combo must be at least as good as it is over stock SE stuff.
Old 05-26-2005 | 11:13 AM

yeh baby congrats wei...its about time someone trust worthy is around....
Old 05-26-2005 | 12:00 PM

I am glad that my service is appreciated here. I do my best to make everyone happy as I am an car tuner just like everyone here. A trusting relationship goes a long way (wei)

If anyone can think of anything else that you guys like, i will see what i can do and get the best deal for ya!
Old 05-26-2005 | 12:04 PM

What would be amazing is if you can offer this deal again in a month
Old 05-26-2005 | 12:16 PM

payment sent.

mr. duck, when you are finally done tuning your suspension, you gotta let me know what settings you ahve it at. i will go directly to your settings and then tune mine from there if my likings are not the same as yours

joshua
Old 05-26-2005 | 12:44 PM

Hey Wei I got my ksports in the mail today! Thanks for the great service. The only bummer is I don't get to install them till next month. It was worth it for the price though.

Nagoballer
Old 05-26-2005 | 01:13 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by nismotek
I can definitely vouch for Ksport CO's being incredible. The bouncy ride I mentioned before was taken care of after finding a bit of preload on all the springs. There still hasn't been a peep coming from the pillowballs, either. Now I can't wait for my new wheels to get rid of that 'tucked in' look.
Look deep into your small brain, and think for a sec, then look at the pillowball mounts and tell me how in hell they could make any noises?
Old 05-26-2005 | 02:54 PM

Today I tried to install the front coilovers and I must say, it was sooo easy and effortless. Well thats also b/c I went from Ground Control coilovers to these, so no spring compressor needed.

As far as ride, they ride so smooth, controlled, decent on huge bumps and railroad crossings, and outstanding in hard corners. This was even with just the front installed and without even fiddling with the shock adjustments.

Wei, thanks again for all your help and I'm looking forward to that t-shirt in the mail!
Old 05-26-2005 | 03:05 PM

I just got my new suspension.
Old 05-26-2005 | 03:15 PM

payment sent, just to make sure these are all the same for any gen maxima right?
Old 05-26-2005 | 04:19 PM

I am new to the suspension world and I don't understand this "preload" talk. Someone please put this inlamest terms:

Can I ajust the height my car sit at with these??????

I don't want a Tein SS coil drop(2.something) I am looking for an even and moderate drop(1.5)

Thanks, I am learning as I go, sorry for the
Old 05-26-2005 | 05:08 PM

hey jinsu, i just installed my suspension and one of the rear suspension has a different stud.....can i get a new one??? it has 1 year warranty right???
Old 05-26-2005 | 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
Look deep into your small brain, and think for a sec, then look at the pillowball mounts and tell me how in hell they could make any noises?
With the D2's and Tein's for other applications, the pillowballs dry out and wear into grooves. When this happens, any weight transfer will cause the pillowball assembly to 'pop'. This is what Cattman said about their Progress CO's.
Originally Posted by Cattman
Although we believe in upgrading our products over time, you definitely won't see pillowball mounts - Progress and I have had more than enough bad experiences with them. Great example of an "innovation" that has more drawbacks than positive features. First, all that weight on such a tiny bearing surface is a predictable source of noise and rattles as soon as it wears and/or deforms a couple thousandths of an inch. Second, this kind of metal on metal, or at least solid on solid interface between the front suspension and the chassis transmits a huge amount of vibration. Third, somewhat indirectly, the types of mounting/rotational assemblies (between the top of the coil spring and the upper mount) used with a monoball-style strut mounts are frequently prone to excess noise and binding when turning at slow speeds.
Old 05-26-2005 | 06:59 PM

mr. duck everyone would love to know your settings and some pics for reference would be amazing.
I need all the help I can get.

Originally Posted by Laly
payment sent.
mr. duck, when you are finally done tuning your suspension, you gotta let me know what settings you ahve it at. i will go directly to your settings and then tune mine from there if my likings are not the same as yours

joshua
Old 05-26-2005 | 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by max929
I am new to the suspension world and I don't understand this "preload" talk. Someone please put this inlamest terms:

Can I ajust the height my car sit at with these??????

I don't want a Tein SS coil drop(2.something) I am looking for an even and moderate drop(1.5)

Thanks, I am learning as I go, sorry for the
Easy answer first: Yes, these coilovers allow you to adjust height (so do the Tein SS, actually).

Now, preload. On these coilovers, the spring is attached to a big threaded body on the outside of the shock. You adjust the ride height by turning a collar to adjust the position of this threaded body. You can also adjust where the bottom of the spring sits on the threaded body by turning another collar. This is the preload adjustment. Since the top of the spring is stationary (i.e. it's always at the top), moving the spring collar up the threaded body brings the bottom of the spring closer to the top, so it's more compressed. The spring now has preload. This means that there is now more force pushing down on the wheel, so it's more able to track irregularities in the road and stay in contact. Of course, as anyone who remembers their physics classes knows, there is also equal additional force pushing up on the car, and that means that the ride will be bouncier over rough surfaces.

The valving of the shocks in the K-Sport kits are matched to the springs the way they are, so it is highly recommended to use no preload. It's really just one of those nice-to-have things in case you find yourself wanting it at a racetrack where the surface is really smooth.
Old 05-26-2005 | 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by nismotek
With the D2's and Tein's for other applications, the pillowballs dry out and wear into grooves. When this happens, any weight transfer will cause the pillowball assembly to 'pop'. This is what Cattman said about their Progress CO's.

You know, I read what Cattman said and it got me thinking... would it be worth it to try to fabricate a rubber washer or something to fit in there and dampen the movement and vibration?
Old 05-26-2005 | 08:48 PM

Not unless anyone thinks its worth it... so far no one seems to think so.?

And, if memory serves from that Cattman link, you will sacrifice performance in doing so...
Old 05-26-2005 | 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by d00df00d
The spring now has preload. This means that there is now more force pushing down on the wheel, so it's more able to track irregularities in the road and stay in contact. Of course, as anyone who remembers their physics classes knows, there is also equal additional force pushing up on the car, and that means that the ride will be bouncier over rough surface .
OK I know I am going to sound like an ***, but - im a noob and I need to make sure that my understanding is not off-
Its not really bouncier but stiffer and more going to respond to bumps, right? Its not going to "bounce"...?
Old 05-26-2005 | 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Spaniard
OK I know I am going to sound like an ***, but - im a noob and I need to make sure that my understanding is not off-
Its not really bouncier but stiffer and more going to respond to bumps, right? Its not going to "bounce"...?
Well, yeah. I was sorta simplifying my explanation. The extra stiffness just makes it harder for the shock to control the movement of the spring, which means more bounce.
Old 05-26-2005 | 11:08 PM

Man, you guys rushed my paypal account with orders today. I am gonna work all day tomorrow to process the orders.

If anyone have quality problems, feel free to contact ksportusa first. They can help you resolve the problem faster and more effectivly. If you run into any problem just let me know and I will help you out.
Old 05-27-2005 | 10:05 AM

Hey guys.... this GD thread is getting super-cluttered with all the tech talk, so I created a new thread for that stuff:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=406790

Anyone with experiences to share, we need your input. Once we have a dedicated thread for technical stuff and information exchange, it'll be easier to refer to because you won't have to sort through 11 pages of PM notifications and support inquiries. Then we can keep this thread for basic questions and purchase/support issues.
Old 05-27-2005 | 12:30 PM

Ksports

Wei........You got paid......and PM'd. Thanks for all of your help. Wei is a great seller. He responded to all of my e-mails and helped me to resolve things! Great customer service! I'll try and wait patiently until the ending of next month.
Old 05-27-2005 | 01:17 PM
aka UNCDooD

also will I get a tracking number of any sort?
Old 05-27-2005 | 01:53 PM

yeah, i will also need a tracking number as well
Old 05-27-2005 | 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Easy answer first: Yes, these coilovers allow you to adjust height (so do the Tein SS, actually).

Now, preload. On these coilovers, the spring is attached to a big threaded body on the outside of the shock. You adjust the ride height by turning a collar to adjust the position of this threaded body. You can also adjust where the bottom of the spring sits on the threaded body by turning another collar. This is the preload adjustment. Since the top of the spring is stationary (i.e. it's always at the top), moving the spring collar up the threaded body brings the bottom of the spring closer to the top, so it's more compressed. The spring now has preload. This means that there is now more force pushing down on the wheel, so it's more able to track irregularities in the road and stay in contact. Of course, as anyone who remembers their physics classes knows, there is also equal additional force pushing up on the car, and that means that the ride will be bouncier over rough surfaces.

The valving of the shocks in the K-Sport kits are matched to the springs the way they are, so it is highly recommended to use no preload. It's really just one of those nice-to-have things in case you find yourself wanting it at a racetrack where the surface is really smooth.
d00df00d thanks for the break down. jinsu, I order the coilovers yesterday, an I in the month club too and can I get a tracking# as well????
Old 05-27-2005 | 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Nathan
Question about installing them:

What torque do I have to tighten the lower strut mount bolts to?

I put mine at 115ft/lbs.
Old 05-27-2005 | 05:23 PM

If its a simple matter to get me a tracking number as well, I'd like one!

Quick Reply: Ksport 2005 Drift Season KickOff Special. $740 shipped!