Group Deals / Sponsors Forum Find out more information on group deals that are going on for Maxima parts from our Sponsors.

Monsterflow and K&N filters, AEM intake bypass valves for $30!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 09:29 AM

hmmm so you are saying as long as we dont clean the k&n filters, we should be in the clear right?
Old 07-05-2005, 07:26 PM

Brian, do you by chance have any K&N filters w/ a 3.5" inlet? This going on my supercharger CAI setup
Old 07-05-2005, 08:02 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

how much is shipping to IA 50525 on a monsterflow?
Old 07-06-2005, 01:48 PM

hey if you get your hands on any more bypass valves, let us know.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:21 PM
I Broke OT

Originally Posted by Nismo3112
I'm guessing you can remove the frame and paint it any color?

The Monsterflow's are capable of being rinsed in water correct? If so, i'll be ordering one today..

i am also interested in the answers to both of these questions. is it capable to rinse it without damage and is it advised? also, how many times can/should it be rinsed if at all?

thanks

oh, and also, shipping on Monsterflow filter to 55447? MN?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:22 PM

Im very interested in getting one. You guys accept money orders correct? Ill have to get the adapter for my 3rd gen correct?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No more AEM Bypass valves? Of course, I have gone through 2+ rainy years of Oregon weather with my Injen CAI with no problems, but It'd be nice to have some insurance.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:41 PM

I'm a complete noob. Been reading the forums a bit, but am still confused. Have no car knowledge whatsoever basically(never worked on cars before). I was thinking about getting a Stillen Hi-Flow for my 98 Maxima GLE. Do I need to get a Monsterflow? What other stuff do I need? And should I even get a stillen hi-flow or a Injen CAI or should I get something else? Please advise on my purchasing needs!

btw, I have no idea what a MAF is, or what a MAF adapter is used for, or what berk intake is... And sorry if I'm being annoying, but I really have no idea what to do. Also, can I install this stuff myself, or should I let a pro do it?

EDIT
I'm kind of more leaning towards CAI now, after doing some reason, since they seem to yield more hp. Though I'm not still not sure what I should get yet..
Old 07-08-2005, 07:05 AM
3.5 in the works

Hey Brian, the K&N's usually come pre-oiled... is the same true for the Monster Flow (or siliconed I guess if that's what's used)?

Thx.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:11 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nismo3112
I'm guessing you can remove the frame and paint it any color?

The Monsterflow's are capable of being rinsed in water correct? If so, i'll be ordering one today..

I couldn't advise painting the frame unless you masked it off to only paint the surfaces on the outside of the foam (you wouldn't want to rish paint flaking off on the interior). Even then, you might run a risk of the paint being incompatable with the glass-reinforced plastic they use.

Yes, the filters can be rinsed in soap and water, or you can use the cleaning spray in the cleaning kit. Apart from that, you MUST use the Monsterflow tackifier spray after every cleaning to restore the original filtration properties.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 07-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by maximo-SE
hmmm so you are saying as long as we dont clean the k&n filters, we should be in the clear right?

Yes, that's my opinion. I'm not saying that its impossible to clean and re-oil one properly, but as I said, its difficult to clean one without disturbing the fabric (and you won't know if you do) and how the heck do you know when you've got exactly the right amount of oil on, everywhere on the surface?

BCC
Old 07-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by chris'smax
Brian, do you by chance have any K&N filters w/ a 3.5" inlet? This going on my supercharger CAI setup
No, this is limited sto stock on hand and we only have 3" filters. I'm not entirely sure they make a 3.5" size.

BCC
Old 07-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by nismos14
how much is shipping to IA 50525 on a monsterflow?

I'm out of the office right now, but it looks like about $9 to you via UPS ground. You can confirm the amount when you call to order.

BCC
Old 07-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
i am also interested in the answers to both of these questions. is it capable to rinse it without damage and is it advised? also, how many times can/should it be rinsed if at all?

thanks

oh, and also, shipping on Monsterflow filter to 55447? MN?
There's no reason for the filter medium to be damaged during cleaning, assuming you're not using sharp instruments to do it. Cleaning and rinsing should be done till the water runs clean. Should be repeated every 15k miles.

BCC
Old 07-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mattster
Im very interested in getting one. You guys accept money orders correct? Ill have to get the adapter for my 3rd gen correct?

Sure we take MOs, its our favorite method of payment since there's no transaction fee. JUst send it to Cattman Performance
10311 N Possum Run Lane
Or Valley, AZ 85737

Be sure to include the shipping address and your contact information. Also, make the MO payable to "Cattman Performance OR (your name)". Always a good policy - if it came back to you or you changed your mind, you can still cash it yourself. You will need the MAF adapter.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 07-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by kenji
No more AEM Bypass valves? Of course, I have gone through 2+ rainy years of Oregon weather with my Injen CAI with no problems, but It'd be nice to have some insurance.

Sorry, no more. We haven't carreid them before and probably won't in the future, I just don't think that they're that necessary with the PR CAIs.

BCC
Old 07-08-2005, 04:37 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Hey, we were all noobs at some point in time...

If you buy the Stillen filter, it will have everything you need - you won't need a filter. That said, why not buy the intake that Stillen copied, the JWT POP charger. At $125, I suspect its less expensive than the Stillen knockoff. We have those in stock and that kit is complete as well, nothing ielse is needed.

If you want to go the CAI route, let me know what year of car you have and we'll see if there's a Place RAcing or Cattman CAI available (they're basically the same).

BCC

Originally Posted by kodomo
I'm a complete noob. Been reading the forums a bit, but am still confused. Have no car knowledge whatsoever basically(never worked on cars before). I was thinking about getting a Stillen Hi-Flow for my 98 Maxima GLE. Do I need to get a Monsterflow? What other stuff do I need? And should I even get a stillen hi-flow or a Injen CAI or should I get something else? Please advise on my purchasing needs!

btw, I have no idea what a MAF is, or what a MAF adapter is used for, or what berk intake is... And sorry if I'm being annoying, but I really have no idea what to do. Also, can I install this stuff myself, or should I let a pro do it?

EDIT
I'm kind of more leaning towards CAI now, after doing some reason, since they seem to yield more hp. Though I'm not still not sure what I should get yet..
Old 07-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by DandyMax
Hey Brian, the K&N's usually come pre-oiled... is the same true for the Monster Flow (or siliconed I guess if that's what's used)?

Thx.

Same with the Monsterflows, they're ready to go. You don't need to apply tackifier spray until the first time you clean it.

BCC
Old 07-09-2005, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cattman
Hey, we were all noobs at some point in time...

If you buy the Stillen filter, it will have everything you need - you won't need a filter. That said, why not buy the intake that Stillen copied, the JWT POP charger. At $125, I suspect its less expensive than the Stillen knockoff. We have those in stock and that kit is complete as well, nothing ielse is needed.

If you want to go the CAI route, let me know what year of car you have and we'll see if there's a Place RAcing or Cattman CAI available (they're basically the same).

BCC
I have a 98 maxima GLE. And for the stillen, i was looking at this http://www.sportcompactonly.com/prod...=2129&c=99&l=2
what is the JWT POP charger? and which is better to get, cai or short-ram? i'm hearing a lot of mixed reviews, saying you should go stillen, but cai seems to yield better performance? like said before, i'm pretty confused...

also, i was talking to a friend asking if i could do installation myself. though this guy doesn't do modding, he knows a lot more about cars than myself, and he said i should get a pro to do it and not risk myself messing up my engine. would going to a mechanic to install be better for me since i have no clue what i am doing? or is installing really easy? I have knowledge of anything under the hood..
Old 07-09-2005, 03:12 PM

Brian,

I'm afraid I'm not following here. Why do you recommend NOT reoiling/recharging the K&N, yet recharging the Monsterflow is perfectly ok? Why is the monsterflow fairly immune to damage when cleaning, yet the K&N is not?

Was thinking of ditching my K&N for a monsterflow, that's why I ask.....

Thanks!
Thanks!
Old 07-09-2005, 04:21 PM
I Broke OT

i'm not sure if he suggested re-oiling the Monsterflow, but he answered my question of whether it could be cleaned or not by saying yes, it could.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Catt, I own a b15 sentra and i was wondering if i can get a K&N off of you to go on an AEM CAI. please let me know if you have the correct filter to ensure it fits. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2005, 03:56 PM

Im purchasing a hybrid intake system (frankencar midpipe + stillen highflow intake) without a cone filter. Which filter do you recommend i replace it with?
Old 07-14-2005, 04:38 AM

hey brian can i paypal you the payment? $38 total to the east coast as you said and its for a k&n filter. thanks
Old 07-14-2005, 10:55 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

The JWT POP charger is the original design - its just like the picture of the Stillen intake, except that JWT uses a double cone filter (inverted cone coming in from the end of the filter instead of that chrome metal cap = more filter area). What makes both somewhat unique is the large, cast metal base with a velocity stack to smooth out some of the turbulence (it bolts directly the MAF like an MAF adapter would).

The Stillen version is a copy of the JWT-type filter, although I don't know if the velocity stack profile is engineered specifically for the vehicle its for, like the JWT series (they cover most Nissans).

You are probably the best judge of your mechanical abilities, but this is pretty simple stuff. There's nothing inherently difficult about the installation, so if you know anybody who's dissassembled a stock Maxima intake you could figure it out together. The trickiest thing is to avoid snapping off the plastic bits that hold the stock intake together (keep everything, you'll possibly want to put that back in when you sell it). Often times the mechanic will be less patient about this than you would be.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance

Originally Posted by kodomo
I have a 98 maxima GLE. And for the stillen, i was looking at this http://www.sportcompactonly.com/prod...=2129&c=99&l=2
what is the JWT POP charger? and which is better to get, cai or short-ram? i'm hearing a lot of mixed reviews, saying you should go stillen, but cai seems to yield better performance? like said before, i'm pretty confused...

also, i was talking to a friend asking if i could do installation myself. though this guy doesn't do modding, he knows a lot more about cars than myself, and he said i should get a pro to do it and not risk myself messing up my engine. would going to a mechanic to install be better for me since i have no clue what i am doing? or is installing really easy? I have knowledge of anything under the hood..
Old 07-14-2005, 10:57 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by MaxxAddict
Brian,

I'm afraid I'm not following here. Why do you recommend NOT reoiling/recharging the K&N, yet recharging the Monsterflow is perfectly ok? Why is the monsterflow fairly immune to damage when cleaning, yet the K&N is not?

Was thinking of ditching my K&N for a monsterflow, that's why I ask.....

Thanks!
Thanks!

Sorry this took so long to answer, I'm not getting notification of PMs from the org anymore for some reason.

K&N - 1) semi-woven cotton felt fabric is much more delicate and easily disturbed during cleaning, producing thin spots in the fabric that allow more dust passage - worst of all, unless you stretch it real bad, you can't see where its too thin, and 2) its impossible to evenly re-oil the surface, making it almost certain that the felt will end up under or (more likely) over-oiled in various spots.

Monsterflow - 1) you can't disturb the coarse and fine foam pads unless you poke a hole through them, and there's no reason for that to happen, and 2) the Monsterflow is far easier to treat after cleaning, just a light overspray of the tackifier. A little everywhere and you're good to go - too much here and there is no problem, there's nothing to build up on the MAF hotwire.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 07-14-2005, 11:00 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by westcoastser
Hey Catt, I own a b15 sentra and i was wondering if i can get a K&N off of you to go on an AEM CAI. please let me know if you have the correct filter to ensure it fits. Thanks!

The K&N we're selling should work if the tube you want to fit it over is 3", simple as that. However, if you have a B15, you really ought to go for our Place Racing CAI liquidation for $135. We're sold out of most of the Maxima applications, but we have lots of Sentra CAIs left. Best intake ever made for the car, and they used to sell for $200!

You can order the CAI or filter by phone from the Cattman offices (520.730.9309, 9-6 Pacific Time, M-F – sales and tech support) or warehouse (800.759.9920, 8-5 Pacific Time, M-F, sales and customer service).

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 07-14-2005, 11:16 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by white97gxe
Im purchasing a hybrid intake system (frankencar midpipe + stillen highflow intake) without a cone filter. Which filter do you recommend i replace it with?

The Stillen intake (if you mean the JWT POP knockoff) has a much larger diameter base than 3", so neither of these filters will attach, you have to buy the specific K&N or JWT replacement filter. I don't know what Stillen charges for the K&N, but its not a cheap filter - the JWT double-cone "K&N-style" filter is $60! You can buy the complete Monsterflow filter and billet MAF adapter setup for $65 complete - I'd advise using that instead of the Stillen piece if you haven't bought it yet.

Good that you're using just the Frankencar upper tube, the rest of that intake assembly is disturbingly restrictive. We had to replace their filter/MAF adapter assembly with a JWT POP intake on a customers car in order to get representative dyno runs before and after a header installation - the car was basically starved for air until that filter was opened up. The power gain from replacing the Frankencar with the JWT was more than replacing the stock intake with the JWT. For that matter, we had to remove their "quiet" muffler/rear section for the same reason.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 07-14-2005, 11:17 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

hey brian can i paypal you the payment? $38 total to the east coast as you said and its for a k&n filter. thanks

That's the right amount. I'll send you my PayPal address via PM.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 07-15-2005, 12:52 AM

Brian, can I paypal you $38 for a Monsterflow shipped to South Carolina 29650?
Old 07-15-2005, 09:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

POP intake for 2002 max 3.5L

Whats required for the Monsterflow filter to replace stock intake and connect to MAF.?? Any drawbacks or problems to the MAF if replacing Stock setup.

I'm now out of warantee.

thanks
Old 07-15-2005, 10:09 AM

hey brian, im still waiting for the paypal addy so i can pay you. thanks
Old 07-15-2005, 10:43 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hokie350Z
Brian, can I paypal you $38 for a Monsterflow shipped to South Carolina 29650?

You sure can, I'm sending my paypal address via PM.

BCC
Old 07-15-2005, 11:46 AM

hey brian. just paid. if you have a tracking number once you ship, just notify me if you can. thanks
Old 07-15-2005, 11:35 PM

How would the monsterflow compare to an Apexi filter. I'm considering replacing my K&N cone filter (Frankencar intake) with a filter that won't damage the MAF but also give more hp. Moreover, will the monsterflow filter fit my current adapter that now has the K&N cone filter or will I have to purchase a different adapter?
Old 07-16-2005, 07:47 PM

The JWT POP charger is the original design - its just like the picture of the Stillen intake, except that JWT uses a double cone filter (inverted cone coming in from the end of the filter instead of that chrome metal cap = more filter area). What makes both somewhat unique is the large, cast metal base with a velocity stack to smooth out some of the turbulence (it bolts directly the MAF like an MAF adapter would).

The Stillen version is a copy of the JWT-type filter, although I don't know if the velocity stack profile is engineered specifically for the vehicle its for, like the JWT series (they cover most Nissans).

You are probably the best judge of your mechanical abilities, but this is pretty simple stuff. There's nothing inherently difficult about the installation, so if you know anybody who's dissassembled a stock Maxima intake you could figure it out together. The trickiest thing is to avoid snapping off the plastic bits that hold the stock intake together (keep everything, you'll possibly want to put that back in when you sell it). Often times the mechanic will be less patient about this than you would be.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
got it, thanks. what about CAI for 98 maxima gle?
Old 07-17-2005, 07:33 AM

Was about to Paypal you when I thought I might need the cleaning kit too. How much for the Monsterflow and cleaning kit to 29650?
Old 07-17-2005, 08:53 AM

Nice, I need a new Monsterflow - How much shipped to 04106? Do I have to call?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:56 AM
99Automagic

Good that you're using just the Frankencar upper tube, the rest of that intake assembly is disturbingly restrictive. We had to replace their filter/MAF adapter assembly with a JWT POP intake on a customers car in order to get representative dyno runs before and after a header installation - the car was basically starved for air until that filter was opened up. The power gain from replacing the Frankencar with the JWT was more than replacing the stock intake with the JWT. For that matter, we had to remove their "quiet" muffler/rear section for the same reason.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance

Gah!! So what are you saying? That my Frankencar intake is choking the crap out of my engine? I got a Apexi filter on that thing by the way. Please tell me this isn't so.

Old 07-18-2005, 03:18 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

hey brian. just paid. if you have a tracking number once you ship, just notify me if you can. thanks

That went out USPS Priority Mail, so it takes 2-3 days, but there is no tracking #. You should have gotten an email notification.

BCC

Quick Reply: Monsterflow and K&N filters, AEM intake bypass valves for $30!