Group Deals / Sponsors Forum Find out more information on group deals that are going on for Maxima parts from our Sponsors.

Monsterflow and K&N filters, AEM intake bypass valves for $30!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 04:57 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Monsterflow and K&N filters for $30!

We have a bunch of 3" Monsterflow and K&N air filters we'd like to sell. All are priced at $30. Its hard to imagine finding these at a lower price anywhere, The Monsterflows list for $99, the K&Ns for $49 and AEM bypass valves for $50. We got all this stuff when we recently bought out Place Racing's CAI inventory (also on sale, and now orders are dependably filled from our warehouse).

The Monsterflow filters are the same as the ones used in Place Racing and Cattman CAIs; the K&Ns also are the type that are compatable with CAIs (cylinder-shaped). I'm partial to the Monsterflow because it uses a silicone, rather then oil-based filtration agent, but both are great filters.

Either of these quality intakes can be mounted directly to the MAF with an MAF adapter to make a simple but very effective intake for $55. [We have MAF adapters in stock ($25) for 00-03 Maximas, and will have more 89-99 adapters soon.] As an MAF-mounted filter, I recommend the Monsterflow because they have a velocity stack built into the base to eliminate a lot of the air turbulence (same as the JWT POP intake). The K&N filters work better on long-tube systems that distance them from the MAF.

To replace the entire stock intake apparatus, we also sell the upper tubes in black and silver to go between the throttle body and MAF, complete with cool black clamps and connecting hoses - we have these for most Maximas at $85-90.

Of course these can also be used as replacement filters for CAIs, and at these prices why bother cleaning the old one? We do not recommend cleaning and remounting any oil-based cotton filter (like the K&N) on 2000 or later Maximas due to the increased sensitivity of the MAF hotwire to dust and carbonization.

Finally we have the AEM bypass valves at a great price ($30). For those concerned about sucking up water through a long tube intake, these should provide peace of mind - regularly $50, now $30!

You can order these parts by phone from the Cattman offices (520.730.9309, 9-6 Pacific Time, M-F – sales and tech support).

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 06-29-2005, 05:40 PM

All questions based on a 5.5 gen

Does any of this translate into a better price for your complete CAI?

As I still have stock intake, for $55 I can have a basic WAI or for $85 have a little 'bling' with my WAI?

EDIT:********
PLease ignore my above. After posting I saw the thread on the complete CAI for $135 and have now purchased the yellow unit for my '02.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:53 PM

I was going to wait till i learned more about the car before i moded but with this price i cant. Im a noob so what do i need to buy to intall a K&N cone filter into a stock system?
Old 06-29-2005, 06:43 PM

DO you actually have a paypal account that we could send the money to...im really interested in the Montsterflow filter and the AEM bypass valve.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:48 PM

Will both of these filters work for a Injen CAI for 00 maxima. I know that we require 3" filters. Wondering if both of these will work. If they will, very interested. How much would shipping be or is it free?
Old 06-30-2005, 10:09 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by white97gxe
I was going to wait till i learned more about the car before i moded but with this price i cant. Im a noob so what do i need to buy to intall a K&N cone filter into a stock system?

Well, if you take my comment above seriously, you will install a Monsterflow rather than a K&N if you want to mount it directly to the inlet of the MAF. The K&N has no velocity stack built into the base like the Monsterflow does, and as a result, the air coming across the hotwire in the MAF is much more turbulant - this is not a good thing. It "confuses" the MAF and ECU because the signals from the hotwire are flipping back and forth constantly. We've tried either type on the dyno, it really does make a different.

I'll just come out and say it, for the reasons I state above its NEVER a good idea to mount a plain filter directly to the MAF - the only filters I can recommend for use this way are the JWT POP filter, the Monsterflow or any other filter that has a decent velocity stack built into the base.

Note its a different matter when a K&N or similar filter is mounted to a long tube intake (like a Place Racing CAI or any of the others with a long tube between the filter and MAF) because the air turbulance stabilized as it goes down the tube (once the length of the tube is at least 5x the diameter, you'll have fairly stable airflow, so the turbulance from the filter is irrelevant).

Anyway, back to the essence of your question. All you need to complete a basic intake )in addition to the Monsterflow or K&N filter) is an MAF adapter, which bolts to the face of the MAF, and then the filter base slips over its 3" opening and you clamp it on.

Easy enough for any noob. Only challenge is taking out the stock system without breaking off plastic bits (be careful with the stock parts you take out, treat them carefully and keep track of the pieces, odds are good that you'll want to put it back in the car when you sell it).

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 06-30-2005, 10:12 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by MaxxedOut624
DO you actually have a paypal account that we could send the money to...im really interested in the Montsterflow filter and the AEM bypass valve.

I'm not real fond of PayPal, but yes, we do have an account. It still routes with my private email address, so I'll send that to you by PM.

You might want to check with me to make sure you've got the right total amount, including shipping, before you send payment.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 06-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Santa29
Will both of these filters work for a Injen CAI for 00 maxima. I know that we require 3" filters. Wondering if both of these will work. If they will, very interested. How much would shipping be or is it free?

Either filter will attach to a 3" tube. The only possible conflict would be clearance for the filter itself, wherever it ends up at the end of your Injen tube. The K&N is a cylindrical shape, pretty narrow, so I can't see it being an issue. The Monsterflow is relatively compact, about 6-7" diameter at the base, so if you've got room around the filter on there now it shouldn't be an issue.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 06-30-2005, 11:07 AM
STFU n00b!

Brian, count me in for two of the monsterflow filters..
I'm leaving town for a week, and will handle the transaction when I get back.. just make sure you save two for me.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:50 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Brian, count me in for two of the monsterflow filters..
I'm leaving town for a week, and will handle the transaction when I get back.. just make sure you save two for me.

Shouldn't be an issue, Matt, I've got about 80 of them.

BCC
Old 06-30-2005, 12:24 PM
Sittin' On Chrome

do you have a pic of the AEM intake bypass valves ?
Old 06-30-2005, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cattman
Well, if you take my comment above seriously, you will install a Monsterflow rather than a K&N if you want to mount it directly to the inlet of the MAF. The K&N has no velocity stack built into the base like the Monsterflow does, and as a result, the air coming across the hotwire in the MAF is much more turbulant - this is not a good thing. It "confuses" the MAF and ECU because the signals from the hotwire are flipping back and forth constantly. We've tried either type on the dyno, it really does make a different.

I'll just come out and say it, for the reasons I state above its NEVER a good idea to mount a plain filter directly to the MAF - the only filters I can recommend for use this way are the JWT POP filter, the Monsterflow or any other filter that has a decent velocity stack built into the base.

Note its a different matter when a K&N or similar filter is mounted to a long tube intake (like a Place Racing CAI or any of the others with a long tube between the filter and MAF) because the air turbulance stabilized as it goes down the tube (once the length of the tube is at least 5x the diameter, you'll have fairly stable airflow, so the turbulance from the filter is irrelevant).

Anyway, back to the essence of your question. All you need to complete a basic intake )in addition to the Monsterflow or K&N filter) is an MAF adapter, which bolts to the face of the MAF, and then the filter base slips over its 3" opening and you clamp it on.

Easy enough for any noob. Only challenge is taking out the stock system without breaking off plastic bits (be careful with the stock parts you take out, treat them carefully and keep track of the pieces, odds are good that you'll want to put it back in the car when you sell it).

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
So basically get a Monsterflow filter and a maf adapter. Do you sell the adapter? And how much will this run me all together?
Old 06-30-2005, 10:57 PM
OU > *

Will either the Monsterflow or K&N filters work with the Berk Intake I currently own and are these prices shipped?
Old 07-01-2005, 03:08 AM

is there any possible way to send a pic of the K&N, my email is ethnic6@gmail.com I'm very interested in purchasing it, thank u
Old 07-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by white97gxe
So basically get a Monsterflow filter and a maf adapter. Do you sell the adapter? And how much will this run me all together?

We sure do (read original post), they're $25 and the Monsterflow is $30 - a pretty good intake for only $55.

If you want to take it up a step, add one of our upper tubes (black or silver) to replace all the stock intake parts between the throttle body and MAF. We don't have upper tubes for all Maxima years, but we do for your 97. Total price would be $135 (some might say this is like the Berk intake, except that we developed it a few years before they did).

If there's a PR group deal CAI available, that's a better deal since you have the option of going underhood or CAI, but we're out of those for your car.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 07-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

AEM Bypass Valves are sold out

Sorry, didn't have very many AEM bypass valves in the first place and they've all sold.

BCC
Old 07-01-2005, 02:01 PM

cattman, how much to ship? In California!!
Old 07-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by S00NR1
Will either the Monsterflow or K&N filters work with the Berk Intake I currently own and are these prices shipped?

As long as the Berk includes some kind of MAF adapter with a simple 3" inlet, either filter will clamp over that. Again, I'd suggest using the Monsterflow in an intake setup that places it near the MAF.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 07-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by ethnic6
is there any possible way to send a pic of the K&N, my email is ethnic6@gmail.com I'm very interested in purchasing it, thank u
I'd be glad to, but I don't have one here at the office and I won't be down to my warehouse until late next week (closed for the weekend and then I'll be in SoCal for a few days). Its not a cone-style filter, its cylindrical, long and thin. My best guess would be that its about 5" in diameter and 9-10" long. It has a flat cap at the end, no inverted cone.

They are the filters that PR used to use in their CAIs.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 07-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by NisMo-Max
cattman, how much to ship? In California!!
Just $6 for a Monsterflow filter.

BCC
Old 07-01-2005, 04:01 PM
OU > *

As long as the Berk includes some kind of MAF adapter with a simple 3" inlet, either filter will clamp over that. Again, I'd suggest using the Monsterflow in an intake setup that places it near the MAF.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance

Here is my Berk setup....does this help you recommend a solution for me?

Old 07-01-2005, 04:41 PM

cattman, you have any filter for 4inch intakes, its for a tubro! thanks
Old 07-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by S00NR1
Here is my Berk setup....does this help you recommend a solution for me?

Well, given that the Berk appears to be exactly like ours (ah, innovation, don't you love it?), the Monsterflow should fit just fine.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 07-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by NisMo-Max
cattman, you have any filter for 4inch intakes, its for a tubro! thanks
Sorry, nothing in 4". Of course you could look at it this way... 4" is unnecessary for any 3.0 litre motor, under just about any circumstances (OK, 600+ hp, with the rev limiter at 8k might warrant it).

BCC
Old 07-02-2005, 07:28 PM

do you have pics of this monster flow filter with and wihtout the adapter? Thanks.

Jae
Old 07-04-2005, 09:40 AM

Is shipping still gonna be 6$ if you buy two of the monster flows? Total 66$ ? let me know.

Thank you
Old 07-04-2005, 10:43 AM

hey brian, im in need of a K&N filter for my frankencar intake. do you have one for the 2003 Max? 30+shipping right?
Old 07-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ETA on your webpage?? Oh How the G doing any future stuff for that vehicle?
Old 07-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by jaemax
do you have pics of this monster flow filter with and wihtout the adapter? Thanks.

Jae

Our out-of-date website isn't good for much, but there are actually pictures that should illustrate this for you - one shows the Cattman Monsterflow-based COMBO intake: http://cattman.com/img/prod/dsc_0411lo-rez%20cai.jpg

The filter is mounted to the 3" neck of the MAF adapter, which appears as a black flange bolted to the MAF adapter in that picture. I will point out that the ones we have now are silver. We still have the very cool black clamps.

If you want a close-up of the 95-99 and 00-03 MAF adapters, look here (noting that they are silver rather than black): http://cattman.com/img/prod/dsc_0393...%20adapter.jpg

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 07-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by 96white
Is shipping still gonna be 6$ if you buy two of the monster flows? Total 66$ ? let me know.

Thank you
Note that I wasn't quoting $6 as a flat shipping rate, he needed one sent to California. I just charge what I'm charged, but shipping for two should run about $8 (west coast) to $10 (east coast).

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 07-04-2005, 04:19 PM

What's shipping to VA? for a K/N or monsterflow filter.
thanks
**edit:for the monsterflow, do you have any other colors? besides red
Old 07-04-2005, 06:41 PM

forget about the kn&n i actually want the monsterflow if you have one. its a 3" so it should fit the frankencar intake right?

whats the price shipped to 02118 boston, MA. thanks
Old 07-04-2005, 07:03 PM

Our out-of-date website isn't good for much, but there are actually pictures that should illustrate this for you - one shows the Cattman Monsterflow-based COMBO intake: http://cattman.com/img/prod/dsc_0411lo-rez%20cai.jpg
Judging from this image it appears that the Monsterflow is made of foam (just like some Weapon-R and HKS filters), which is probably the worst material to use for a filter. Often the foam particles get sucked into the intake piping and cause MAF sensor failures and could potentially lead to engine malfunctions. K&N filters, on the other hand, use cotton gauze that offers one of the best filtration and air flow capabilities for performance intake systems.

So, I am correct by assuming that the Monsterflow is made of foam?
Old 07-04-2005, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by mm347

read the post. they are made from silicone. They are supposed to be the best in the market, retail is $100 for this filter. I just don't like the color, but I still get it.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:48 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by maximo-SE
hey brian, im in need of a K&N filter for my frankencar intake. do you have one for the 2003 Max? 30+shipping right?

Its a one-size-fits-all sort of deal, so sure, we have a K&N for your car for $30 + shipping. We'll be happy to sell you either, but I think you'll get better results from the Monsterflow - a little more power due to less air turbulance and and a little less risk of that sensitive MAF going south because it doesn't use an oil-based filter medium.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 07-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by mdemonte
ETA on your webpage?? Oh How the G doing any future stuff for that vehicle?
I keep saying "soon" because there's not a lot left to do, but I'm having a hard time finding the time to do it. Let's just say sometime in the next few weeks.

I think its very possible that we'll do something with the G, particularly the sedan.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 07-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Luigi38
What's shipping to VA? for a K/N or monsterflow filter.
thanks
**edit:for the monsterflow, do you have any other colors? besides red
Shipping should be about $8 from AZ to VA. The frame is sort of a brick red on all the filters we have (the filter is dark grey). They made dark grey frames too, but I've only seen pictures.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 07-04-2005, 10:56 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by maximo-SE
forget about the kn&n i actually want the monsterflow if you have one. its a 3" so it should fit the frankencar intake right?

whats the price shipped to 02118 boston, MA. thanks

Shipping for one filter is $8 to the East Coast.

BCC
Old 07-05-2005, 12:04 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by mm347
Judging from this image it appears that the Monsterflow is made of foam (just like some Weapon-R and HKS filters), which is probably the worst material to use for a filter. Often the foam particles get sucked into the intake piping and cause MAF sensor failures and could potentially lead to engine malfunctions. K&N filters, on the other hand, use cotton gauze that offers one of the best filtration and air flow capabilities for performance intake systems.

Despite the certainty of your opinion, I'm afraid your knowledge is incomplete. There are a number of formulations and even different fabrication processes that produce what could be generally referred to as "foam". I don't think its possible to determine exactly what materials have been used from a picture, so I'm not sure how you can say that because the Monsterflow looks like "foam" then it is subject to the same shortcomings you attribute to the other brands.

I've heard of bad foam filters too, but the pliable two-stage material that Monsterflow uses in their filters has nothing to do with the more rigid material in the filters you're referring to. There is no pattern of disintegration with the Monsterflow.

In addition to being particularly popular with the Miata crowd for some reason, the Monsterflow filters have been used in thousands of Place Racing CAIs for Nissans and Hondas over the last four years. We've sold hundreds of Cattman CAIs w/ Monsterflows over the same period, and there is no pattern filter media breakdown or MAF failure reported on the forum, none by Cattman customers, none through Place Racing (I know the owner), none through the companies I know that sell them to Mazda owners. [I had one customer say his disintegrated, but that was only after a Nitrous backfire through the intake cooked the filter. ]

K&Ns are pretty good filters when new, but although they don't flow as well as the Monsterflow, that's not why Place Racing and Cattman switched to the Monsterflow 4 years ago. We dumped the K&N due to patterns we saw firsthand of MAF failures due to volatilization of the oil-based spray when its used to "activate" the filter medium after cleaning. This was even happening to the pre-2000 Maxima MAFs that were a lot more bullitproof.

I should be clear that although I could be wrong, I don't think that this problem occurs much, if any, with new K&N filters, because they come (I assume) with exactly the right amount of oil sprayed evenly over the entire filter. They're not a bad choice if you're willing to throw them away the first time they get dirty. [Except they should never be used without a velocity stack (like the JWT POP intake base) if they're within 15" of the MAF.] At $30/each, I know I'd never clean the K&N, I'd toss it out.

The MAF problems are associated with contamination and the cases we saw came up most often after the filter was cleaned the first time and the oil re-applied. Nobody ever gets the oil on evenly, and most tend to overapply. This causes excessive volatilization and the hydrocarbon molecules in the airstream carbonize on the hotwire, building up an insulating layer and eventually ruining the unit. That's the first form of MAF-trashing contamination that I associate with oiled-cotton filters (there are many, the K&N is one).

The second potential problem with the K&N's oiled cotton filter element is that it can easily be disturbed during cleaning. From my experience its difficult not too move it around at least a little, and some will stretch it a lot as they backflush with air, water, etc. That enlarges the air passages, and thins the material; filtration becomes uneven and particle pass through it that wouldn't have when the cotton material was in its original condition. Particulate contamination seems to be the #1 source of MAF failure in the 00+ MAFs and anything that opens up gaps in the filter will increase this problem.

I think the only reason that the Monsterflow is not better known (and, as a result, better regarded) is that the company that owns the patents and fabricates them has never marketed them effectively.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 07-05-2005, 09:26 AM
Custom User Title

Shipping should be about $8 from AZ to VA. The frame is sort of a brick red on all the filters we have (the filter is dark grey). They made dark grey frames too, but I've only seen pictures.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance

I'm guessing you can remove the frame and paint it any color?

The Monsterflow's are capable of being rinsed in water correct? If so, i'll be ordering one today..

Quick Reply: Monsterflow and K&N filters, AEM intake bypass valves for $30!