Group Deals / Sponsors Forum Find out more information on group deals that are going on for Maxima parts from our Sponsors.

5th Gen Willwood Big Brake Kit anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 09:09 AM
Jer

Daryl's already said since there is demand they'll be doing it : they needed 6-8 weeks to get the kid made; it should be going on a guinea pig max soon just to make sure everything is ok... I figure in about 6 weeks or so it will be available, but more info will follow - it may be a little sooner.

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

have you contacted them to see if they will do it. i would just like a time table so i know what i can buy this month(intake to tap for dpi nos)
Old 05-16-2002, 10:58 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by Jer
Daryl's already said since there is demand they'll be doing it : they needed 6-8 weeks to get the kid made; it should be going on a guinea pig max soon just to make sure everything is ok... I figure in about 6 weeks or so it will be available, but more info will follow - it may be a little sooner.

Keep us updated as I am looking forward to seeing how pedal feel and stopping results are improved. I hope someone does a test on "stock" and then gets the kit and does the same test. It would provide wonders in information to the rest of us.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:45 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by Colonel

Keep us updated as I am looking forward to seeing how pedal feel and stopping results are improved. I hope someone does a test on "stock" and then gets the kit and does the same test. It would provide wonders in information to the rest of us.
I second that!

Someone should use a G-Tech Pro for BEFORE/AFTER results.
Old 05-16-2002, 04:03 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

sweet 6-8 weeks i can't wait, i hope less. i'll do a test of braking before and after, i just bled with DOT 4 and my tires are sick stickier so i shoulld get good results. i jsut hope the pedal feel is still there.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:16 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

...i jsut hope the pedal feel is still there.
You and me both....I am not to fond of the existing pedal and hope something is done to help it out.
Old 05-17-2002, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by Colonel

You and me both....I am not to fond of the existing pedal and hope something is done to help it out.
no what i'm saying is that the pedal feel on my 2k2 is AWESOME and i don't want to lose that. my brakes are sick now, 16mm bigger then 2k-2k1, but with my 18's they just look tiny and i think this would look hot and give me better braking at teh same time.

-steve
Old 05-20-2002, 04:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What exactly do we get for $800?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jer
[B]Absolutely correct - front rotors only. It's for all 5th gens - 2k through 2k2 and on.

For those of us who dont know what comes in a big-brake kit, can you tell us all that will be included in this deal please? I have to admit, I'm a bit confused about the "front rotors only" thing. Again, please tell us whats included in the kit! Thanx...

Deac
Old 05-20-2002, 04:57 PM

Re: What exactly do we get for $800?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Deac
[B]
Originally posted by Jer
Absolutely correct - front rotors only. It's for all 5th gens - 2k through 2k2 and on.

For those of us who dont know what comes in a big-brake kit, can you tell us all that will be included in this deal please? I have to admit, I'm a bit confused about the "front rotors only" thing. Again, please tell us whats included in the kit! Thanx...

Deac

what you get for that deal is usually the frpont rotors and calipers, brake ines, and the adapter to move the rotor out to fit over right seeing as it's bigger. everything you need, and pads too.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:28 AM

Re: What exactly do we get for $800?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Deac
[B]
Originally posted by Jer
Absolutely correct - front rotors only. It's for all 5th gens - 2k through 2k2 and on.

Deac
What's up man? The car looked killer this weekend at the Speedworld.com show. So like I told you at the show the $800 group buy price is the entire kit that includes:
13" Rotors
4 piston calipers
Pads
Steel lines
mounting hardware and braket.
Everything you need to get the kit working and on the car is included.
Old 05-21-2002, 12:29 PM

Re: Re: What exactly do we get for $800?

Originally posted by Maxstilln

What's up man? The car looked killer this weekend at the Speedworld.com show. So like I told you at the show the $800 group buy price is the entire kit that includes:
13" Rotors
4 piston calipers
Pads
Steel lines
mounting hardware and braket.
Everything you need to get the kit working and on the car is included.
Thanx for the shout man... So you do get 4 piston caliper but you only get rotors for the front is this right?
Old 05-21-2002, 03:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: What exactly do we get for $800?

Originally posted by Deac

Thanx for the shout man... So you do get 4 piston caliper but you only get rotors for the front is this right?
yes rotors and calipers for the front only, since the frotn does 75% of the braking anyway.
Old 05-30-2002, 05:20 PM

Precision Brake Kit for 5thgen available?

What is the status on this GB? On the 5thgen site someone is saying that he was the "guinea pig" for the 5th gen kit from Precision Brakes and that it is completed? see thread:

http://www.5thgenmaximas.com/vbb/sho...2631#post16121

what gives?

Old 05-30-2002, 10:22 PM
Jer

Re: Precision Brake Kit for 5thgen available?

I was to be the backup guinea pig for this actually The idea was give him the brakes, have him drive with them for a bit, and if everything goes OK, we make it official that the kit is ready. I'm still waiting for the final word, but keep your eyes peeled here; the GD should be ready for shipping very soon

Originally posted by SterlingMist00
What is the status on this GB? On the 5thgen site someone is saying that he was the "guinea pig" for the 5th gen kit from Precision Brakes and that it is completed? see thread:

http://www.5thgenmaximas.com/vbb/sho...2631#post16121

what gives?

Old 05-31-2002, 04:40 AM

Re: Re: Precision Brake Kit for 5thgen available?

Originally posted by Jer
I was to be the backup guinea pig for this actually The idea was give him the brakes, have him drive with them for a bit, and if everything goes OK, we make it official that the kit is ready. I'm still waiting for the final word, but keep your eyes peeled here; the GD should be ready for shipping very soon

can i still get in on the GD price and what is it as of now???

-steve
Old 05-31-2002, 07:52 AM
Jer

Re: Re: Re: Precision Brake Kit for 5thgen available?

The price will be the same as for the 4th gens : $800 - I am hoping maybe we can get it a little lower considering how many people have shown interest - the original $800 was for a 5 person buy.
Here is a list of interested parties; please Email me if you are still interested or want to add your name. Include your year, colour, model, and your name I'll pass it on to the appropriate parties and we will contact you for payment when this is ready (and we have a lower price maybe ).

Me
Pmp-n8a
CBass69187
chinaonnitrous1
emax95
SterlingMist00
mingo
augie
dmbmaxima88
PCGuRu2K
Colonel
Deac?
IceY2K1?
Dustyroads?

I have two friends local in Toronto whom I have to get in touch with; they're not on the board, one's a 2k, one's a 2k1.

Let me know; I'm posting this on the 5th gen forum too.

can i still get in on the GD price and what is it as of now???

-steve
Old 05-31-2002, 08:13 AM

mMm big brakes for my 2k2 no more lunch for me for the month of June.
Old 05-31-2002, 08:21 AM
Jer

Haha tell me about it : I bought a blower for $3k, nissan installing it for about $900, then there's the gauges/pod for $200, brakes for $800, tint for cheapo, the S-03's I bought w/new CSA rims... I need to STOP!
I managed to say no to HID's until next year, ditto for the bodykit and suspension work... by next summer I plan on either being dead or owning one big bad Y2K max All this after not touching the car for two whole years (almost)

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1
mMm big brakes for my 2k2 no more lunch for me for the month of June.
Old 05-31-2002, 09:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Precision Brake Kit for 5thgen available?

Check your email, I am still interested.

Originally posted by Jer
The price will be the same as for the 4th gens : $800 - I am hoping maybe we can get it a little lower considering how many people have shown interest - the original $800 was for a 5 person buy.
Here is a list of interested parties; please Email me if you are still interested or want to add your name. Include your year, colour, model, and your name I'll pass it on to the appropriate parties and we will contact you for payment when this is ready (and we have a lower price maybe ).

Me
Pmp-n8a
CBass69187
chinaonnitrous1
emax95
SterlingMist00
mingo
augie
dmbmaxima88
PCGuRu2K
Colonel
Deac?
IceY2K1?
Dustyroads?

I have two friends local in Toronto whom I have to get in touch with; they're not on the board, one's a 2k, one's a 2k1.

Old 05-31-2002, 11:55 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Precision Brake Kit for 5thgen available?

Originally posted by Jer

Me
Pmp-n8a
CBass69187
chinaonnitrous1
emax95
SterlingMist00
mingo
augie
dmbmaxima88
PCGuRu2K
Colonel
Deac?
IceY2K1?
Dustyroads?

Jer,

Please take me off the list. I'm going to wait for the front AND rear kit to come out. Plus, I'm hoping for some more feedback once people get them installed and drive around for awhile.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2002, 05:25 PM

i called precision brakes today and spoke with some one that works there and they are READY TO GO, they make them to order and the wait is 1-2 weeks. the price is 899 retail and had 13 inch slotted x-drilled rotors, wilwood 4 pot calipers, powdercoated brackets, SS lines and wilwood compound D pads. the pads are upgradeable and you can get just SLotted rotors if you road race and are worried about cracking them. i'll wait for this group deal and hopefully get them for under 800

-steve
Old 06-01-2002, 08:09 PM

Question.....

What is the weight of the Wilwood caliper and what is the weight of the larger rotor in comparison to the OEM setup. Will we be reducing our unsprung weight or increasing it?

Thanks....
Old 06-01-2002, 09:57 PM

Re: Question.....

What is the weight of the Wilwood caliper and what is the weight of the larger rotor in comparison to the OEM setup. Will we be reducing our unsprung weight or increasing it?

Thanks....
i would imagine since they are slotted and x-drilled that even thought theyt are bigger they weight less or equal.
Old 06-02-2002, 01:42 PM

Re: Question.....

Thanks....
The rotors on these weigh about 1.5 lb's less then the oem ones. They will free up about 20 lb's of unsprung weight
Old 06-02-2002, 02:15 PM

Re: Re: Question.....

Originally posted by emax95

The rotors on these weigh about 1.5 lb's less then the oem ones. They will free up about 20 lb's of unsprung weight
do you mean the equivalent of about 30 lbs or SPRUNG weight=3lbs of unsprung.
Old 06-02-2002, 03:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Question.....

do you mean the equivalent of about 30 lbs or SPRUNG weight=3lbs of unsprung.
I always read that 1 pound of sprung weight equals 8 lb's of sprung weight. These rotors are one pound lighter then the 4th gen oem ones so I figured since the 5th gen brakes(especially teh 2002's) rotors are a little bigger they are heavier too. So 20-25 lb unsprung weight savings probably
Old 06-02-2002, 03:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Question.....

I always read that 1 pound of sprung weight equals 8 lb's of sprung weight. These rotors are one pound lighter then the 4th gen oem ones so I figured since the 5th gen brakes(especially teh 2002's) rotors are a little bigger they are heavier too. So 20-25 lb unsprung weight savings probably
i heard it was 1=10 but whatever, it's close. 20 lbs at least weigth savings. looks like i can cancel my diet now

-steve
Old 06-02-2002, 03:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question.....

i heard it was 1=10 but whatever, it's close. 20 lbs at least weigth savings. looks like i can cancel my diet now

-steve

Maybe it is 10 pounds thnen, I think I may be confsuing one gallon of gas weights 8 lb's LOL! BTW Steve I sanded my intake manifold for about 15 hours and it's still close to being done.
Old 06-02-2002, 03:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question.....

Maybe it is 10 pounds thnen, I think I may be confsuing one gallon of gas weights 8 lb's LOL! BTW Steve I sanded my intake manifold for about 15 hours and it's still close to being done.
did you try the drill thingie like i told you.
Old 06-02-2002, 03:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question.....

did you try the drill thingie like i told you.
I took the thing off the car and used a orbital buffer on the flat areas then I used my dremel a little bit and then I did a lot by hand. It is a slow slow process.
Old 06-02-2002, 04:56 PM

Are they going to make rear XD rotors?
Old 06-02-2002, 06:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question.....

I took the thing off the car and used a orbital buffer on the flat areas then I used my dremel a little bit and then I did a lot by hand. It is a slow slow process.
damn, this is gonna take a while. i'm gonna try and hook it up to a drill and get most of it done while it's on the car. it doesn't look hard to take off, just like 5 bolts but we have to take out FSTB's off and either unbolt the TB and de-attach it but then the FSM says you have to do some Throttle Body Learning thingie.
Old 06-02-2002, 08:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question.....

damn, this is gonna take a while. i'm gonna try and hook it up to a drill and get most of it done while it's on the car. it doesn't look hard to take off, just like 5 bolts but we have to take out FSTB's off and either unbolt the TB and de-attach it but then the FSM says you have to do some Throttle Body Learning thingie.
I removed the manifold, runners and TB's all together. The bottom right bolt on the runners would not come off with out striping the bolt so I took it all off at once. All together you have to remove 9 bolts, 3 nuts, 3 plugs, 2 vacume lines and 3 hoses Plus two screws and one plug on the intake and of course the 6 nuts on the FSTB. It took me about 30 minutes to take it off and about 10 to put it back on. Have fun!
Old 06-02-2002, 08:05 PM

what are you people doing now?!?!?
Old 06-02-2002, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1
what are you people doing now?!?!?
Trying to polish my intake manifold.
Old 06-02-2002, 08:47 PM

Trying to polish my intake manifold.
*sigh*....i need some maxima 2k2 friends out here..
Old 06-02-2002, 10:47 PM

i got the 300zx conversion.. what can i salvage? can i still use the SS brake lines?
Old 06-02-2002, 11:58 PM
Jer

I think you should be ok with the SS lines you got there...

FYI, I will be calling them Monday to ask about rim fit/template and the rears. If I don't, I owe everyone involved a beer

Jer

Originally posted by mingo
i got the 300zx conversion.. what can i salvage? can i still use the SS brake lines?
Old 06-03-2002, 04:22 AM

[i'm prolly gonna hve mine extrdue honed just for the heck of it. QUOTE]Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1
what are you people doing now?!?!? [/QUOTE]
Old 06-03-2002, 12:28 PM
Jer

Update from Nigel@PB

Hey guys,

Just spoke w/Nigel and got a few answers for you :

- Rear XD's are possible; expect to pay around the same price (if not the same) as for the front kit. They haven't made any -yet- but it can be done with just 1 order.

- GD price is fixed at $800 This is for 10 people; Nigel claims they don't like doing group deals anymore so it's the best he can do.

- They can send you a template if you have doubts about wheel fit (on stock 17's in particular). You MUST have 17's at least though if you want these to fit

Let me know if you guys still want in; as soon as I have 10 people email me their interest I will pass it along and you can order!

Thx,
Jer
Old 06-03-2002, 12:32 PM

Re: Update from Nigel@PB

Originally posted by Jer
- Rear XD's are possible; expect to pay around the same price (if not the same) as for the front kit. They haven't made any -yet- but it can be done with just 1 order.
I think people were looking only for stock rotor replacements for the rear ... that's all I wanted n e ways ... exact same specs but cross drilled ...

Quick Reply: 5th Gen Willwood Big Brake Kit anyone?