Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

HID Theft Counter Measures in the I35/I30?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 05:22 PM

HID Theft Counter Measures in the I35/I30?

The I35/Maxima are essentially the same car. Over the past 2 years the Nissan Maxima has become a target for theives because of the HID headlights.

What system is being used in the I35/I30 that prevents thieves from stealing the HIDs?

The reason I ask can be found Here .

TIA.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:47 PM
Got Projectors?

Re: HID Theft Counter Measures in the I35/I30?

Originally posted by Ozmotear
The I35/Maxima are essentially the same car. Over the past 2 years the Nissan Maxima has become a target for theives because of the HID headlights.

What system is being used in the I35/I30 that prevents thieves from stealing the HIDs?

The reason I ask can be found http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=199725 .

TIA.
I don't think it's much of an issue for us as the Maxima folks for a couple reasons.

1.) Our cars are fairly rare compared to Maximas and Acura TL's - thus most thieves don't know much about our cars, including whether they're HID equipped or not.

2.) Most people still haven't realized that there is no longer an I30 and there is now an I35. The reason I mention this is because on the 2nd gen I30's HID lights were optional, or only available on 't' models. Only on the I35s are HID lights standard, and like I mentioned before, people still haven't seemed to notice the difference. If you notice, HID thieves only seem to be hitting cars that come with HID as STANDARD equipment. It's too much a risk to steal a headlight and have it *might* be HID when a guaranteed HID maxima is down the block. Another plus with regard to that is that the I30 halogen headlamp and I30/I35 HID headlamp look virtually identical.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:15 PM

Are the Ballasts part of the headlights or are they kept seperate?

Also, do they (the ballasts) short out when removed?

Would someone please take a detailed photo of the engine compartment. I'd appreciate it.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:14 AM
Got Projectors?

Are the Ballasts part of the headlights or are they kept seperate?

Also, do they (the ballasts) short out when removed?

Would someone please take a detailed photo of the engine compartment. I'd appreciate it.
I'm pretty sure the ballasts are part of the headlights, and most likely...like every other headlight out there, the ballasts probably stay good when removed, seeing as it is a serviceable part.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:12 PM

Thnx for your help.

Seeing as how the designs are identical, I'd appreciate any support you I35/I30t guys could provide.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:24 AM

Re: HID Theft Counter Measures in the I35/I30?

You really think that a thieve would waste the time to steal a car just so they could get the hid system. You guys must be smokin something. I would think the overall value of such a common vehicle with engine, body components, interior and others would make more sense.

The reason I ask can be found Here .

TIA.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:31 PM
Got Projectors?

Re: Re: HID Theft Counter Measures in the I35/I30?

Originally posted by AllGo
You really think that a thieve would waste the time to steal a car just so they could get the hid system. You guys must be smokin something. I would think the overall value of such a common vehicle with engine, body components, interior and others would make more sense.
Umm...if you read carefully, you would see that he only asked about antitheft for headlights....nothing to do with stealing the actual car.

Get it straight before you criticize.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:06 AM

Re: Re: Re: HID Theft Counter Measures in the I35/I30?

I am still not sure what your referring to. So what their asking is how nissan is preventing theft of the hid systems from their cars? I don't think that this has reached epidemic proportions to create a issue with how nissan builds the vehicle. I can only imagine that your proposing some type of device that if unplugged would need some code or special procedure to reset and make these units functional in another vehicle. Maybe I'm just behing the hid anti-theft safety measures
Originally posted by MetaOrbit

Umm...if you read carefully, you would see that he only asked about antitheft for headlights....nothing to do with stealing the actual car.

Get it straight before you criticize.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:04 AM

Just bought my I35, and not quite sure on all of its lighting features. The lamps look like HIDS, light like HIDS, and are beatutiful blue like HIDS: am I safe to assume I have HIDS? '02 I35.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by AcuraLegend
Just bought my I35, and not quite sure on all of its lighting features. The lamps look like HIDS, light like HIDS, and are beatutiful blue like HIDS: am I safe to assume I have HIDS? '02 I35.
as mentioned in a previous post in this thread.....hid came standard on i35's.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by falconey
as mentioned in a previous post in this thread.....hid came standard on i35's.

I can read man, but I'm having to post 15 times before I can make my own threads or pm. Just trying to make as many replies as I can.

Thanks for the info tho.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:22 AM
KH3 by popular demand

I would do my own preventative measures like installing a hood lock or something, but many cars are coming standard with hid. I would say the problem with the maxima headlights and yhose of like design are everything is on the headlight like the ballasts so it makes it easy for a theif to come with a crowbar and pry them out, in and out in 5 mins. or less.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:47 AM

guys the I35's have a bolt at the bottom of the lamp, that holds it too the body of the car. it is only accessible from the bottom of the car. the space is very, very, very, very, cramped, and serious scrapes and bruises are incured trying to remove it. just ask anyone who has "cleared" they're I35 lamps and they will testify as to how difficult this is to remove.
to only time saving way is for the thief to pull the lamp out, therefore breaking the clip that the bolt secures it self too, this is a sure indication is was stolen and not properly removed.