Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

harsh ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 10:14 PM

harsh ride

I have to vent about how much I am dissapointed in my I35 as far as the ride goes. I know I am comparing apples to oranges but I own a 2002 I35 and a 2002 trailblazer and I must say that the blazer has more of a comfortable ride than the infiniti. I can float over rail road tracks and not even know they are there in the blazer but if I go over the same tracks in my I, it feels as if me and the whole car are going to fall apart. It is so harsh and stiff. I mean literally, you dont feel a thing in the blazer over tracks, it is so soft and suttle. The I never sits still on the road. You feel ever little ant you run over, every crease, crack, dip, etc. It just doesnt sit still. How do they call this a luxury car? What can I do to change this? New shocks, springs, what? New car? I am in a love hate relationship with this car. Ugh!
Old 06-16-2003, 12:17 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Drive the blazer.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:41 AM

Thanks, that really helped
Old 06-16-2003, 08:28 AM

i agree.the ride sux on the i.i have a 2001 i30,and it rides like my moms hyundai.i cant complain about anything else though.i love it.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:52 AM

get a lincoln town car. i can hook ya up lol (no, for real, i can haha)
Old 07-01-2003, 12:52 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally posted by JSpecMax
get a lincoln town car. i can hook ya up lol (no, for real, i can haha)

Seriously though, do you guys not test-drive cars before you buy them? If you don't like it then don't buy it.

Anyways, I think the general consensus of I/Max owners here will tell you the suspension is way too soft, thus you see many of us buying drop springs and stiffer struts. I don't think I've ever seen anything made to make the car even more soft and floaty
Old 07-01-2003, 06:26 PM

i dont have a problem with a stiff ride.the i30/35 and max feel like a piece of **** when you hit a bump.it dosnt feel solid.i can only imagine in a couple of years how bad it will be.the new altima or lexus is300 ride stiff and handle excellent,and when you hit a bump dont feel like it is harsh.harsh is the key word.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:40 PM

I don't want a soft and floaty ride, I just dont think that the change in the ashtray should end up the floor everytime I go over RR tracks. They could have made it absorb a little more and not just deliver everything to the cabin. I did drive the car before I bought it and even though something like this would take more than just a test drive around the block to judge, this alone would not have changed my mind. All I wanted to know was is there anything that would not make it softer or firmer, but just make it absorb more imperfections in the road.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:51 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally posted by Allenz
I don't want a soft and floaty ride, I just dont think that the change in the ashtray should end up the floor everytime I go over RR tracks. They could have made it absorb a little more and not just deliver everything to the cabin. I did drive the car before I bought it and even though something like this would take more than just a test drive around the block to judge, this alone would not have changed my mind. All I wanted to know was is there anything that would not make it softer or firmer, but just make it absorb more imperfections in the road.
Well, normally I would say check your struts, but there is no reason they should not still be in perfect working order.
Maybe look into adjustable struts and set them on the softest setting....
Old 07-01-2003, 10:05 PM

I dont think I have ever heard anyone insult the ride of an infiniti like that before. I work at a lexus dealership and have driven just about every car under the sun, but id have to say you would be crazy to think that a nissan altima would ride better then the I35. Obviously the trail blazer would cushion bumps better, it weighs more then 2 tons and has very thick side walls on its tires to absorb shocks. And trust me the IS300 is solid, but it definetly is not nearly as smooth over bumps like the I35 is. If you dont like the ride think about a new tire pressure setting in your tires or a new wheel and tire combo. For the record I agree with mike, who doesnt test drive the car they are about to buy. It sounds like you made that mistake because no one would invest 35g's into something that rides the way you describe it.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:06 AM

are you sure there's not something wrong with the suspension on that car because i work at an infiniti dealer and i drive those new I30/I35 all day. the ride on those i feel is very comfortable and the suspension absorbs the bumps very well. even my dropped 98 I30t is not that bad and i have 18" racing harts on it with KYB AGX and Eibachs. i don't know why your car's suspension would be that bad, i've never heard of that problem before
Old 07-24-2003, 11:38 AM

Seems like you woke up one day and said to yourself, "I'm going to purchase an I35!" went to the dealer, put down the cash and hopped into the car and realized what you dont like about it. Usually, people go out and test drive multiple vehicles of the same class...seems like something you didnt know. and yes, as you stated in your original post, you are comparing apples to oranges. thats what makes apples different from oranges...they're two totally diff things from the start! anyhow, try checking your tire pressures...i believe it should be 30/30 (it will say in the door panel on a sticker). sometimes the dealers leave them too high since they come off the truck like that. otherwise, if thats ok, maybe you should just get rid of the I35 and go back to the blazer.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:39 PM

at the infiniti dealership we do check the tire pressure of all the new cars coming off the truck. when sold we adjust them at 29/32 front/back. maybe that's the problem but it still shouldn't be a harsh ride at all