Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

01' i30t Stereo Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 12:02 PM

01' i30t Stereo Question

So my old car got wrecked..totalled in fact, by a Metro Transit Authority city bus...
My wrecked up car

And in that car was my very very very important (to me) tuned stereo system.

My old car & stereo (not wrecked)

Well as it turns out, we went car shopping on Saturday, to buy me a new car. My parents were going to buy me a Mazda 6s..which would have been nice...but they looked 2 buildings down, low and behold there's an Infiniti dealer (the same one we bought our i30t from 2yrs ago). Yeah the mazda being 24k, the camry being 29k, and the maxima being 28.9k...we decided to just spend the same (as the camry) on an infiniti, because we knew it'd be much much nicer for the same cost. So my parents are getting a brand spanking new i35, and I get their 01' i30t with 30k miles on it. Not a bad deal, since that car is infinitely better than my Malibu....

Herein lies the problem... My dad is glad to give me his car, with one exception: he forbids that I modify the car in anyway as far as a stereo system goes. If you looked at my sounddomain page, you can see I went just about all out on that car. Don't get me wrong, to the average joe the Bose system in the infiniti is awesome, but I hold audio to quite the higher standard. I used to cry (not really) when I listened to a cd in my car, then in my dads. The clarity is so much better in my system, as well as the bass.

The speakers in the infiniti are all bose, and they're all amplified on the speakers themselves, making it extremely difficult to put new speakers in w/o making 'modifications' as my parents would say. Well I have resigned myself to accepting that I cannot put new speakers, or my Pioneer DEH-P9300 cd deck in without cutting up the dash. I DID have xm radio, but I guess I will forego that too.

My question now is, I know I can at least get better bass. I am looking at a 10" Elemental Designs Series A subwoofer and either my 400.4 Rockford amplifier to power it, or my 1500wrms MA Audio Class X amplifier to power it. Where can I tap, or is there somewhere I can find an RCA equivalent output to run to the amplifier in my system? Can I just remove the bose subwoofers input and use it as an RCA input to my amplifier?

The reason I want to run a setup like this (albeit with less quality than my old system) is to maintain the stock stereo setup, but also up the bass a bit. Anyways, if any of you i30t owners out there know how to tap into the bose system, your help would be greatly appreciated. I would have probably figured this out by now if i knew 2 years ago when we bought the car that i'd end up with it one day.
We can all thank the metro transit authority for totalling my car (it ran a red light into me and another car @ 60mph...)

Thanks!
-Nguyendot

PS- Can we get a sticky post that has links to aftermarket products for these cars, so that we can have it organized into one single thread?
Old 07-14-2003, 01:38 PM
Got Projectors?

Re: 01' i30t Stereo Question

Sorry to hear about your old car, but looks like you got something much more fun I used to have a 97 Lumina with the 3100...I like this much better

Anyways, I understand what you're saying about the audio situation.

Getting RCA outputs on the OEM HU is actually quite easy. There is a PAC adapter called the AOEM-NIS2 that plugs into the back of the Head Unit and gives two pairs of RCA outputs (front and rear). It also has a lead for a remote wire.

It is completely plug and play and very easy to use/install. I currently use this adapter myself. I'm sure you're familiar with Line Output Converters, as they're an option too, but I will tell you - my setup used one at first, and the quality was HORRIBLE. Sound improved 100x when I began using the PAC adapter.

You might want to do what I have done, and remove the stock bose freeair sub on the rear deck. It allows for a nice port into the cabin as well as seems to eliminate some of the rear deck rattles.

You can also swap out the tweeters in the A pillars fairly easily (they're 4 ohms, so most aftermarket add-on tweeters will work) and they'll stay looking "stock" behind the pillars.

For the PAC adapter, you can order it here: http://www.affsave.com/pac5.htm

I ordered mine from there, and it's the cheapest price I know of today.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I might have left something out on the audio, so feel free to see my homepage as well (I've mentioned a few things there).

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/metaorbit/

Oh and lastly, welcome!
Old 07-15-2003, 03:55 PM

Just wondering, it says 95-99 nissan bose, my car is 2001. Does this make a difference?
Old 07-15-2003, 05:33 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally posted by nguyendot
Just wondering, it says 95-99 nissan bose, my car is 2001. Does this make a difference?
No difference at all. Like I said, I'm using it on my 2002, I know others using it on their 2003. They just never got around to updating the website.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:50 PM

cool, i'll give it a try, hoping my dad doesnt find out i put a system in the car...lol. I've got so much stereo equipment laying on my floor right now that i cant use...
Old 07-15-2003, 06:21 PM
Got Projectors?

Hehe good luck. What's great about this adapter is that there is no permanent modification to the wiring, so it can easily be returned to stock.

Not to mention, as long as your dad never sees what's inside your trunk...he'll never know

BTW - there is a perfect location to run your power wire from the battery into the car on the driver's side under the hood. It'll be on the firewall, not too far down - it's a round rubber plug that you can pull out with your fingers. Set a light in your driver's side floorboard and you should be able to see your floormats through the hole from under the hood.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:03 PM

I already have the 12cd changer for the car, i hope that harness doesnt plug into there..
Old 07-16-2003, 01:37 AM
Got Projectors?

I already have the 12cd changer for the car, i hope that harness doesnt plug into there..
I doesn't. It goes in between the HU and the original vehicle wirign harness (plug).
Old 07-16-2003, 10:24 AM

Well i'm going to keep all my options open. Hopefully I can convince my parents to just let me install my head unit in the car. I have been hard pressed to find a dash kit for my i30t...Anyone know where I can find one??
Old 07-16-2003, 10:44 AM
Got Projectors?

Well i'm going to keep all my options open. Hopefully I can convince my parents to just let me install my head unit in the car. I have been hard pressed to find a dash kit for my i30t...Anyone know where I can find one??
Like pretty much everything else, the comparable part for a 2000+ Maxima will work.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:00 PM

cool
I'll go look for a 2001 model then. I just wish they made a double din model so i can put 2 dins on top of each other instead of having the usual 'pocket'
Old 08-06-2003, 06:09 PM

there are 2 different kits for the I30 I35 that are the smae used for the 2000-2002 maxima. one is a gray/black kit that was originally made for the 4th gen maximas which is made by metra. but you can find a American International kit (AMI) that has factory matching colors of the dash. also if you don't want to spend the money for the other harness to give you RCA outputs you can purchase a regular PAC adaptor from your local Audio electronics store from anywhere b/w $10-$30. just tap that PAC convertor onto the wire for the factory sub after the Bose amp. then all you need to do is plug in your rca wires and hook up your amp. easier then running throughout the whole car. then take out your factory sub for a great port hole. i know b/c i did this in my 2002 Maxima GLE with BOSE.
any other questions just ask. PEACE!