Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

k&n air filter (kind of long story)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

k&n air filter (kind of long story)

hi, I have a 2002 I35, and recently my service engine light came on. So this morning, i drove to the dealership, and they told me that it came on because I installed a k&n air filter, and that has caused damage to the mass air flow sensor. I thought that they would say this, so before i took the car to infiniti, i took the car to autozone and they scanned it and said that the mass air flow sensor may be broken. Infiniti said they need to remove the k&n air filter and replace it with a infiniti air filter, and replace the mass air flow sensor. Infiniti said that they wouldn't be able to do the repair under warranty because I have a k&n air filter. Before they changed anything, I asked Infiniti to give me proof in writing that the k&n air filter is causing the problem. Now, i am waiting for a call back from a guy at k&n. I want to see if there is a way that I can fight this.

I think that the dealership is giving me trash here. They are just too cheap to replace it under warranty, so they blame it on me for having the air filter. Has this happened to anybody out there, or does anybody have any info or suggestions for me? Thanks.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:44 AM

i work at an infiniti dealership in MA and yes they are right, even the smallest modification to the stock car will void the warranty. so yes, if there is a k&n filter in there they will not work on the car unless it's paid for. i believe the explanation is in the manual as far as voided warranty in case of a modification. i don't see why your mafs would be damaged though. it shouldn't be because of the K&N filter unless you did it yourself. but either way i am pretty sure the infiniti dealership will not cover that under warranty. sorry dude
Old 08-05-2003, 01:11 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I really doubt they can do that to you unless they can prove the filter caused the problem. What if you had an aftermarket Napa type filter, would they give you a problem then?
The dealership will do what ever they can not to do work under warrenty, so you better stand up for yourself!

I really don't think any modification to a car will cause the warrenty to be voided. What about if you had aftermarket suspension or wheels would that cause them not to stand behind a fautly transmision??

Did you recently re-oil the filter by any chance? Sometimes too mcuh oil can cause problens with the MAF, then all it needs is to be cleaned
Old 08-05-2003, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by I30tMikeD
I really don't think any modification to a car will cause the warrenty to be voided. What about if you had aftermarket suspension or wheels would that cause them not to stand behind a fautly transmision??
[/B]
if there was something wrong with the transmission and it was under warranty then ofcourse they would cover it under warranty but if they find out that the aftermarket wheels and tires were the cause for the faulty transmission then you're outta luck.
so hopefully your k&n filter wasn't the cause of the problem
Old 08-05-2003, 01:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

but what about the magnuson moss act, which basically says that dealers cannot void the warranty on a car that has had something aftermarket done to it. k&n air filters are tested and proven, they weren't just created yesterday, so it doesn't make sense to me that it has something to do with it. No, I did not recently re oil the filter. I have 11,000 miles on the car, and I've had the filter for about 6,000 miles. I didn't install it lately, which further proves my point that if the mass air flow sensor is broken, it's not k&n's fault.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:23 PM

I would agree with what I30MikeT has said. They must prove to you that the air filter was the absolute cause for the damage. Since there is no sure way they can do that, they must otherwise replace the damaged part. Usually, the warranty will be voided on a part-by-part basis...if you directly modified the MAF sensor and it was visible that you did so, and because of this modification, the MAF was damaged, then they are not liable for it. However, changing something else and then coming to the conclusion that the filter caused it is a cheap excuse to not have to do the warranty work. I read somewhere that dealerships try to avoid warranty work simply becuase the company pays the techs and there is no diagnosis fee, and on top of this, the dealership is not really compensated for as much money as they could acquire directly from the customer. Since the customer would have to pay a diagnosis fee, and then hourly labor plus parts, they would make more money off the customer that way. Since your car is so new, they would just hope that you would give in and be like "oh well, ok, here is my credit card, go ahead and charge me full price for everything."

What you SHOULD have done in the first place was replace your original filter into the car before taking it there so that all this would have been avoided in the first place. The absolute wrong thing to do was to report it and such, since now they may put it into the computer into your notes that you have an aftermarket modification. They will not be specific about it in most cases, and if you tried to take it to another dealer they woudl see the notes and refuse your repairs also (unless the dealership was awesome...which as we all know, is highly unlikely). Otherwise, you would have just been able to leave the dealership without signing anything, go home, replace original filter, and go to another dealer and complain about the same problem and they would be obligated to replace the MAF for you.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:28 AM

Yhea, I really can't believe you just didn't put the stock filter back in??????
Old 08-06-2003, 09:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i didn't even think about replacing it until I was there. And I didn't sign anything, I'll try replacing it with stock next time and then going to another dealership. If they still refuse warranty, then whatever. I'm so fed up with infiniti with this that i don't even care anymore. I'm trying to sell the car, so I'm in a rush. I gotta make space for my new subaru wrx sti
Old 08-06-2003, 10:32 AM

First of all, how could you NOT have signed anything? The dealer would look at anything without you first signing some paperwork indicating that you know what they are about to do, and that your comments/concerns were recorded in the notes so that you and the techs have an understanding of what is to be addressed. Therefore, I would assume that when you brought your car in, you pulled into the bay, told the service writer what the problem was (MAF code), and that you want it to be looked at.

Service writer then draws up the service order with yoru comments/concerns on there (such as, "Cust. states CEL and faulty MAF. Check and advise."). Then, they would look at the car, and as you had written, they would say that the MAF damage was due to your K&N filter. Then they will most likely "update" the service order, to which they will add a line about the K&N or modification and voided warranty on the MAF. Then you would sign again and be on your way.

Anyhow, i can understand you are mad about the whole situation. but I would have taken out the filter before giong to the dealer in the first place. on top of that, I dont see how a part that is only worth a few hundred (and as others have posted, under 100 at junkyards) would incline you to sell the car (which is quite new still). I could understand if your tranny failed three times, but this...
Old 08-06-2003, 10:41 AM

Where did he say he's inclined to sell his car? Maybe I missed it?
Old 08-06-2003, 10:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm not getting a new car because of this problem. I'm getting a new car because I want to. The subaru has nothing to do with the infiniti.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by mutatedfrog
I gotta make space for my new subaru wrx sti
Can't argue with that decision
Old 08-08-2003, 09:59 PM

strange.... i would go with different dealer.... may infiniti dealer never said anything about my aftermarket intake..... they actually think it's cool.....
Old 08-27-2003, 01:38 AM

hmmmmm

Consumers Bill of Rights

Your Rights to Personalize Your Vehicle

ARTICLE ONE: You have the Right to buy high-quality, reliable aftermarket performance and specialty parts, accessories and styling options.

ARTICLE TWO: You have the Right to use high-quality aftermarket parts and know that your new car warranty claims will be honored. In fact, your vehicle dealer may not reject a warranty claim simply because an aftermarket product is present. A warranty denial under such circumstances may be proper only if an aftermarket part caused the failure being claimed.

ARTICLE THREE: You have the Right to install and use emissions-legal aftermarket performance parts without incurring hassles and onerous procedures during state vehicle emissions inspections.

ARTICLE FOUR: You have the Right to actively oppose any proposed (or existing) laws or regulations that will reduce your freedom to use aftermarket automotive parts and service or will curtail your ability to take part in the automotive hobbies of your choice.

ARTICLE FIVE: You have the Right to patronize independent retail stores and shops for vehicle parts and service. The U.S. aftermarket offers the world's finest selection of performance and specialty parts, accessories and styling options. These aftermarket products satisfy the most discriminating customers seeking personalized vehicles for today's lifestyle.

from sema.org
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8123

at the least you could tell them to fix it.
at the most, you can get them involved in a legal battle that they'd lose, but you'd both lose money on court...