Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

01' i30t ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 01:36 AM

01' i30t ride quality

So i read some posts before about people complaining about the ride quality, and I didn't really notice it, but my ride quality SUCKS in my car. It's fun to drive and i just kept telling myself 'its the sports suspension' etc... In the end, the ride just plain sucks when the roads aren't perfect.... Is this normal? I mean I've driven a G35 coupe for a few days...and its more of a 'sports' car than my i30t ever will be, and its suspension is much tighter, less body roll, AND....its much less harsh when rolling over uneven pavement (majority of all roads lol). My i30t also happens to 'hop' when im turning on the highways... if i go over 60mph on one of our interstates (i44-East) it will hop, losing grip, having the entire car shift about half a lane away from the way im turning... I'm surprised i havent hit anyone..its just uncomfortable to take a WIDE curve in that car on the highway.... i'm not gonna slow to 30mph on the highway to take a turn... I think the suspension is either faulty, or just plain sucks.... It works fine on good pavement..but then again any suspension would... I hate wheel hop, and I really think that's a problem with this car... I drove in my dad's i35 and it was no where near as bumpy.....nor did it jump lanes on the highway... The g35 certainly did not, and i was going FASTER ...(since its got awesome acceleration)... I just don't get it. I just wish the suspension wasn't so awkward in hopping over the tiniest bumps, and making the bigger ones suck more...I love the car, but if there is any way to get the suspension fixed (its still under warranty....)... i'd love it..(if it is truly broken)
Old 10-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

See if your struts are blown.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
See if your struts are blown.
The dealership has test-driven my car (not for that reason), and didn't say there was anything wrong with it... If it is the struts, i am still under warranty... The ride has always been this way, tho...

Also, i've noticed my dads i35 is much more powerful... which I guess you can attribute to the 255hp 3.5L....but when it comes to stopping... his car feels like the brakes are fading BAD.... when I hit the brakes, I'm expecting it to come to a halt as quickly as my car... i figured same..if not better/newer brakes... but instead it keeps going and I swear i've almost rear-ended so many people because that car doesn't have nearly the stopping power of my i30t..... My parents don't notice because they don't drive as aggressively as me..but that can surely be a problem if they have to make a quick stop.... Any ideas?
Old 10-08-2003, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by nguyendot
The dealership has test-driven my car (not for that reason), and didn't say there was anything wrong with it... If it is the struts, i am still under warranty... The ride has always been this way, tho...

Also, i've noticed my dads i35 is much more powerful... which I guess you can attribute to the 255hp 3.5L....but when it comes to stopping... his car feels like the brakes are fading BAD.... when I hit the brakes, I'm expecting it to come to a halt as quickly as my car... i figured same..if not better/newer brakes... but instead it keeps going and I swear i've almost rear-ended so many people because that car doesn't have nearly the stopping power of my i30t..... My parents don't notice because they don't drive as aggressively as me..but that can surely be a problem if they have to make a quick stop.... Any ideas?
Thats odd, because I stop too quickly in my I35. It maybe possible that... well I really don't know why that would be. Has your dads car ever been in an accident?
Old 10-08-2003, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by gqmac2
Thats odd, because I stop too quickly in my I35. It maybe possible that... well I really don't know why that would be. Has your dads car ever been in an accident?
His car is pretty new... no accidents... We bought it about 2 months or so ago... It's pretty much just broken in..
Old 10-09-2003, 12:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have a 96 i30.....and the same things happens to me..... it sucks taking wide curves...i have to slow down in fear of the wheels skipping and me losing control......... bumps and bad roads are horrible......i've just gotten used to it
Old 10-09-2003, 04:11 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by thebigmin
i have a 96 i30.....and the same things happens to me..... it sucks taking wide curves...i have to slow down in fear of the wheels skipping and me losing control......... bumps and bad roads are horrible......i've just gotten used to it

I don't have that problem
Old 10-09-2003, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
I don't have that problem
I do

I think when I take my car back for service (the stereo steering wheel controls aren't working), I'll have them address the suspension issue. Odds are, they'll tell me it's the 'sport'...err 'touring' suspension and that's how it's supposed to be. Of course I'll argue that if it were *more* sporty, then it should grip the road *better* and not worse... I really am fearful of curves in the highway (not turns..but just your ordinary bends and curves) because if they're bumpy at all... my car will skip... and fly through the air just about...into the next lane.... It's great when the road is completely level and my wheels don't hop...grips great then... just not when its bumpy....
Old 10-09-2003, 01:45 PM

I am glad I did not get the "Sport" Package. I don't experience that problem at all.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by gqmac2
I am glad I did not get the "Sport" Package. I don't experience that problem at all.
It's great on flat roads...grips like a charm... its just the highly used highways... I need to take my dads new I35 out and see how it fares on the highway curves... Also... anyone else with the 4spd auto tx notice that it shifts rather ....how do you say.... joltingly? Is there any way at all to prevent the car from down shifting so harshly? I don't floor the car during acceleration, and it downshifts to get to 40 or so mph and jolts harder than usual... If you accelerate realllllly slow it doesn't do it, and if you floor it, it doesn't do it... I mean I think it's normal, but I really hate how it does that... the 5spd auto from the g35 is so much smoother... :/
Old 10-09-2003, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by nguyendot
It's great on flat roads...grips like a charm... its just the highly used highways... I need to take my dads new I35 out and see how it fares on the highway curves... Also... anyone else with the 4spd auto tx notice that it shifts rather ....how do you say.... joltingly? Is there any way at all to prevent the car from down shifting so harshly? I don't floor the car during acceleration, and it downshifts to get to 40 or so mph and jolts harder than usual... If you accelerate realllllly slow it doesn't do it, and if you floor it, it doesn't do it... I mean I think it's normal, but I really hate how it does that... the 5spd auto from the g35 is so much smoother... :/
Thats something else I don't experience in the base I35 I have. Maybe the sport version is tweaked more than people think.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:00 PM

I have the same problem with my 00' I30. It will lose traction if you go over a bump while turning. As soon as my warranty runs out, I am installing an Eibach pro kit and Koni adjustables (hope it cures the problem).

My only problem with the auto trani is that it shifts TOO smoothly. When you floor it, the shift from 1st to 2nd is very slow. The revs sort of linger before the shift. This probably takes like a half second off of the 0-60 sprint. Oh, and is the whistling normal when the revs gety high. Is this an electronicaly controled trans? Maybe that is what the high pitched whining/whistling is.?