Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

nope wait this is the last question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004 | 03:11 PM

nope wait this is the last question...

what if i dont upgrade my springs just yet and i just proceed to install adjustable shocks?would that ruin balance or would i be a smart idea?cause in my mind shocks are more expensive than springs soo....i would get the more expensive first and then get the cheaper stuff...besides i want more comfort than speed anyways...i really dont mind being sorta high...as long as its comfy...
Old 09-27-2004 | 04:31 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by cefiro8701
what if i dont upgrade my springs just yet and i just proceed to install adjustable shocks?would that ruin balance or would i be a smart idea?cause in my mind shocks are more expensive than springs soo....i would get the more expensive first and then get the cheaper stuff...besides i want more comfort than speed anyways...i really dont mind being sorta high...as long as its comfy...
Doing it that way won't ruin balance. Different springs with old struts would. However, if you are going through all that work to disassemble the unit to put on new struts, you might as well replace the springs. I mean they are the cheapest part of the job, and you will be kicking yourself in the @ss the whole time for not doing it. Especially if you decide to do new springs later on down the road. Even if you don't mind sitting up high, the wheel gap is so so ugly and intolerable. It makes the car's tires look small as hell!
Old 09-27-2004 | 09:56 PM

what if i have thick tires to begin with...i can care less about the way the car looks...as long as IM comfortable...i mean...it is a luxo...so the way it looks doesnt really bother me...as long as it looks classy...also would removing the strut bar i have on right now make the ride more comfy?
Old 09-28-2004 | 06:25 PM
Armed and Dangerous

what if i have thick tires to begin with...i can care less about the way the car looks...as long as IM comfortable...i mean...it is a luxo...so the way it looks doesnt really bother me...as long as it looks classy...also would removing the strut bar i have on right now make the ride more comfy?
Thick side wall actually does help with ride comfort, but I feel one of the MOST inportant aspects of a luxo is the "look", and there is not another single luxo that I can think of that has wheel gap like the I30. Plus, it is definitly NOT classy at all.

If comfort is what you want, get the illumina struts and put them on 2. Also, replace all the the rubber seats, bushings, boots, and that pesky bearing. That will give you the smoothest ride you could imagine. I drove around for I day on 2 and my ride felt like a brand new Q45 or some smooth Lexus!

Naturally I prefer a more sporty ride so I keep it on 3 front, 4 rear, but that is the great thing about illuminas. You can change them when ever you feel!

Keep the strut bar. It makes the ride more less bouncy, and tighter in turns, which in my mind is more comfortable that feeling like I am about to fly off the road.
Old 09-28-2004 | 08:55 PM

so what ur saying is....
the adjustable shocks would push up my car?cause if thats the case...then forget it...if not...then i would be fine with the heigt im happy with it for now...

how much would it cause to replace all the things you said...where could i get the parts?i know the iluminas would set me back a pretty penny til christmas but yea...so it should be about...and around...800 bux maybe??right?where would the cheapest illuminas be bought other than EBAY.??
Old 09-29-2004 | 07:09 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Several points here.

First, the adjustable struts will NOT lift you up and create a larger wheel gap. It will ride at the same height as stock. As a matter of fact, the Illuminas with stock springs are reported to be the most COMFORTABLE setup available. With that said, you WILL maintain the huge wheelgap that you have from the factory, which is unsightly, but not a negative in terms of performance.

Second, whether you are doing the work yourself or paying to have it installed, you WILL be kicking yourself if you do not do it all at once. Spending a whole day on a DIY strut install is not a big deal...but spending 2 days (one now, one down the road) is a huge PITA. If you are PAYING to have it done, that is even MORE of a waste, because it is likely that for less than what you will pay in labor costs to have the springs installed down the road, you could buy the springs NOW and have it all done @ once. It should NOT cost any more to install struts AND springs than it would to install just struts. If someone tries to charge you more, find a different shop. It is actually EASIER to get the suspension back together on lowering springs than stock ones, due to the spring height.

Now, I DO realize that if you simply do not have the cash to buy the springs, buy the struts, and pay to have it installed, that is not an option. Some people on here do not realize that money is tight and that other org members have other expenses and priorities that overshadow dropping an additional $100 on springs. IF IT WERE ME, and if I had the choice between a DIY install and springs OR a professional install without lowering springs, I would take $10, buy the haynes/chiltons, and tackle the job at home with the help of another org member. It will take one afternoon with 2 guys. I have done the rear strut and spring install- on my own (no help)- in less than an hour. It does help to have extra hands to do the front. I buy dinner for my helper, and he does the same for me if I help him out. Trading favors gets a lot of work done here on the right coast.

Regarding a GREAT price on Illuminas, try here---> http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....=1#post3244417

I have never seen a price that low. If nothing else, I paid $160 for the rear illuminas (including shipping) from sport compact only/southwest autoworks. I would think that you could find fronts to go with them for under $240, if you look around.

ALL TOLD, including new bearings, new rubber parts, used springs, and new illuminas, it can EASILY be done for under $600. Add install costs if you do NOT DIY and you could edge close to your $800 mark, but a DIY is easy, if you have a whole day and a spare set of hands. I would highly recommend lerning a bit about your I30 by tackling i the install at home. It saves money and gives a huge sense of satisfaction.

Please feel free to ask me any follow-up questions.
Old 09-29-2004 | 07:18 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Oh yeah, one other thing- if you want a set of springs that look good on the I30 for $100 shipped, let me know- My Intrax come off this week or next.
Old 09-29-2004 | 08:57 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Well put.........
Old 09-29-2004 | 03:37 PM

phenryviv....is there a way u can keep those and not sell them to anyone else???so i can save some money and do everything at once whenever i get enough??

y are u taking them off?
Old 09-29-2004 | 08:05 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

phenryviv....is there a way u can keep those and not sell them to anyone else???so i can save some money and do everything at once whenever i get enough??

y are u taking them off?
How long are you thinking? I can, if it is a reasonable amount of time.

Anyway, I am taking them off because I really like a soft, almost stock-like ride, AND I scrape on the speed bumps on my street. Sounds like a dumb reason, but it bugs me, and I got a good deal on the Tein H-Techs (used).

It ONLY rubs on the ones on my street, nowhere else...they are ghetto speedbumps, though.

Let me know how long you are thinking and I will let you know.
Old 09-29-2004 | 10:07 PM

if possible til xmas?i doubt if thats even reasonable tho...if u do thank u very much...
Old 09-30-2004 | 04:39 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

That is a BIT longer than I had wanted to hang onto them...BUT if it makes it any easier, my paypal accepts credit cards, and I can probably wait a month...
Old 09-30-2004 | 06:55 AM

its not that dude...im only 17...i barely make any money...i need the time to save the money for them...its so hard for me to get quality used(or new)parts....so yea...i probably make like 150/2weeks so yeah...its very hard for me to get that within a month...so yea...its up to you if u dont want to keep them for that long...but yeah...if u have other bidders...
Old 09-30-2004 | 07:08 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

I have no other leads right now, so we will see. Before I do anything with them, I will check with you.
Old 09-30-2004 | 10:59 AM

I'm gettin a pair of Tokico Illuminas and I been lookin and readin up on springs and have come to 2 choices which seem to be the best for a drop. I was originally planning on keeping Stock or getting SE Springs, but if I was to get 19's the space would be disgusting. So, I figured either the S-Techs or the Tokico Springs. Any recommendations?

Also, where can I find the Strut Bearings and Boots for the cheapest so I can do the whole setup at once?
Old 09-30-2004 | 11:55 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

S-techs are LOW. You would be better with Progress, Eibach (a bit harsh, maybe), H&R, Tein H-Tech, Intrax, even maxSpeeds. On 19's in NJ, I would not run Sprints or Tein S-Techs...
Old 09-30-2004 | 01:12 PM
Armed and Dangerous

get the bearings and boots from www.everythingnissan.com. Call the 1-800 #. Every thing is wholesale which is like 50% off.

As far springs go, I got the CE springs which lower the ride by 1.5 inch which in my mind is perfect. I know they are not the top choice (I don't know why), but the quality and workmanship along with the fit and finish were top notch! I have been driving around on them for a month with now complaints. The best part of all is they are only $150!