Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

CEL: 0104 on 96 I30!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Armed and Dangerous

CEL: 0104 on 96 I30!

My friend who has a 96 I30 w/ 125,000, recently got the 0104 CEL. The code is for the VSS or related wiring. However, his speedo keeps cutting out on him, and a swift pound on the dash brings the needle back up again.

Do you think that the two are related? He wants to go a head and rip the cluster apart, and I told him not be so rash!

Anybody know where the VSS is located on the transaxle?

Also, why did my ATTN: SYCEFIRO thread get locked? That is the only way I have to communicate with him as his mailbox here is full and he NEVER responds to the emails I send to his yahoo address.

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0104 points to a problem with the Vehicle Speed Sensor or the associated wiring.

The Vehicle Speed Sensor installed on the transaxle. The part inside the transaxle has a plastic gear which is driven by the internal parts of the transaxle. The part outside is a signal generator which produces a square wave of amplitude 5.2 volts and frequency proportional to vehicle speed.

Remove the VSS, attach a voltmeter to the electric leads, and spin the gear
by hand. If you get zero volts, it's dead.

One owner discovered his VSS was not fully seated in the transaxle. He just tapped it inward, and retightened the 10mm mounting bolt.

For more information please refer to the Chilton repair manual (page 4-22) or the Haynes repair manual (page 6-16).
Old 10-07-2004, 05:50 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Regarding the Syferio thread, once it is posted, he can see it and get in touch with you. It is his responsibility to contact you directly or clear out his PM box. I did not lock it, but I am sure that that is the reason.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:52 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by i30ds
My friend who has a 96 I30 w/ 125,000, recently got the 0104 CEL. The code is for the VSS or related wiring. However, his speedo keeps cutting out on him, and a swift pound on the dash brings the needle back up again.

Do you think that the two are related? He wants to go a head and rip the cluster apart, and I told him not be so rash!
Has your friend TRIED the diagnostic from the FAQ that you quoted? Try that first. My inclination would be that he has a loose connection somewhere behind the speedo and gauge cluster. Has he changed his gauges, bulbs, or anything else lately? Or EVER?
Old 10-07-2004, 06:55 AM
日産

The two are directly and electronically related. Is your friend's cruise control not working properly? I've dealt with the 0104 issue for past two years and wasted so much money to finally fix it so here are some suggestions:

1. Pull out the instrument cluster and inspect the back electrical circuit. Check if there is any visible loose or broken connection. Pull out the harness connectors and snap back in. Also check all the philips screws that attach speedo, tachometer, temperature gauge and fuel gauge through the circuit board into the cluster to see if they are tightened enough. I recommend re-tightening them because in my case this was the cause of my VSS code after all, and it doesn't cost your friend anything.

2. If you still pull the code 0104, replace VSS. Sensor itself only costs you like $20. I didn't know this and it cost me more than $200 when a Nissan dealer replaced the whole sensor assembly. VSS is on the transaxle case. If you know where the fuel filter is, and look down from there, you can see the sensor. I did not personally replace it but from what I heard from other .org members, replacing VSS doesn't seem to be a difficult task.

3. If you still pull 0104 after 1. and 2., there are several paths and possibilities:

1) Replacing VSS harness
2) Short circuit in wiring between speedo and VSS (There is a TSB on this. I tried this but didn't work out.)
3) Replacing whole instrument cluster (Some .org member did this to fix the 0104)

Hopefully it is just a matter of sensor replacement....
Old 10-07-2004, 07:06 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by i30ds

Also, why did my ATTN: SYCEFIRO thread get locked? That is the only way I have to communicate with him as his mailbox here is full and he NEVER responds to the emails I send to his yahoo address.
You know who the two moderators of this forum are. If you have questions on why things happen you can use the PM function.

You posted your ATTN thread. He responded. You informed him that his PM box was full. Mission accomplished. It is up to him clean out his PM box or respond to his email. Yes I did lock it but I let it stay open until he responded because I am a nice guy

Just so we are clear. ATTN threads are not allowed.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:43 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Thanks guys. I will relay these suggestions to him. He has never swaped out the gauges or needles or anything related to the cluster. We will try hasei's suggestions of inspecting the cluster and tightening down the screws and possibly changing the VSS.

In the future, I will PM the moderator with questions about why a thread got locked. I just was not sure if it was acceptable to do this.