Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

How about a 6spd I35 conversion?? hmmmmm.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 07:01 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

How about a 6spd I35 conversion?? hmmmmm.....

Hey guys, I ran into an old friend of mine who was driving a sterling mist 02 SE 6spd max. His max got totalled a few months back, and the salvage yard that holding his wrecked max stripped the transmission and a few parts out of it. He was telling me that they are selling the 6spd tranny pretty reasonable.

If you could do it or if there was an option to buy a I35 with 6spd would any of you do it/ or have bought one in a manual just like the maximas? Man, I like doing crazy stuff to my cars, but I go through cars (buy new cars) like a **** star does women. I am wondering how it would effect my car in the future or would anyone buy a 6spd I35 two years down the line.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:10 AM

Go for it

I don't know if any I35 guys have done the conversion but you would have very unique, I personally think the I35 looks better than the same year Maxima.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:16 AM
Got Projectors?

It would be cool in that after all the speculation that's been done about it in the past couple years that there would finally be a finished product to show for it

You'd sure as hell have a hard time explaining to anyone that's not a Maxima/I30/I35 enthusiast why your I35 has a 6 speed manual transmission, however.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
It would be cool in that after all the speculation that's been done about it in the past couple years that there would finally be a finished product to show for it

You'd sure as hell have a hard time explaining to anyone that's not a Maxima/I30/I35 enthusiast why your I35 has a 6 speed manual transmission, however.
upon resale the average man would accept anything you told him. He would think that the car came that way if the MT was installed properly.

And might I add that if you had enough ***** to do this you would have the respect of every member on this site, as you will have gone where no man has gone before.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by i30ds
upon resale the average man would accept anything you told him. He would think that the car came that way if the MT was installed properly.
In most cases you're probably right...though something might seem fishy to the guy that punches in the VIN on Carfax or the like and it comes back as "auto."

But like I tried to say earlier...it'd definitely be cool to see.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I got a 00 I30 and ive put serious thought on a 2000 maxi 5 spd swap. It would be unique and cool. I say GO FOR IT!! If I would have the money I'd do it!!
Old 12-05-2004, 02:55 PM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by orlando00i30
I got a 00 I30 and ive put serious thought on a 2000 maxi 5 spd swap. It would be unique and cool. I say GO FOR IT!! If I would have the money I'd do it!!
I am still thinking about it, but there is one huge thought that comes to mind though. My car is brand spanking new, and I only have 2000 miles (if that) on my car and the 6spd tranny and components are coming from a 2002 maxima with 55,000 miles on it, and it's been driven hard (i know the owner). I have the ***** to swap in the transmission, HOWEVER, i don't know if i really want a two year old tranny with 55,000 miles on it, in a 04 car with 53000 less miles on the engine.

What I am thinking about doing is just buying the transmission and hold it until i run up the miles on the car, then swap the tranny. The only thing is, by the time I reach 35-40000 miles I am pretty much bored with a car and I want another model.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:52 PM

isnt the warranty pretty much toast as well?
Old 12-05-2004, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Karkov
isnt the warranty pretty much toast as well?
Yeah u will not have warranty anymore, but who cares you can take it to shows, and it will be known as the only i35 6spd..
Old 12-06-2004, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by leeI35
I am still thinking about it, but there is one huge thought that comes to mind though. My car is brand spanking new, and I only have 2000 miles (if that) on my car and the 6spd tranny and components are coming from a 2002 maxima with 55,000 miles on it, and it's been driven hard (i know the owner). I have the ***** to swap in the transmission, HOWEVER, i don't know if i really want a two year old tranny with 55,000 miles on it, in a 04 car with 53000 less miles on the engine.

What I am thinking about doing is just buying the transmission and hold it until i run up the miles on the car, then swap the tranny. The only thing is, by the time I reach 35-40000 miles I am pretty much bored with a car and I want another model.

Will you be swapping the tranny yourself? If so, I'd just go for it. If the tranny that you put in goes bad, just swap back in the auto. You can also do this if you sell the car to keep the resale value high (it'll be easier to sell too I imagine). This way you can have more fun before you get bored with the car.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:52 AM

I'd think you need a new ECU also.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:43 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by Gates
Will you be swapping the tranny yourself? If so, I'd just go for it. If the tranny that you put in goes bad, just swap back in the auto. You can also do this if you sell the car to keep the resale value high (it'll be easier to sell too I imagine). This way you can have more fun before you get bored with the car.
I have a race shop that I deal with here in MD that takes care of all my custom mods/fabrication/and anything else, so basically, I give them the idea and then they make it happen. Depends on how much work is REALLY involved in doing this and also the down time and cost, I might either make it happen or not. My race shop needs to see how much stuff did the salvage yard really take off the maxima before they can determine if the can do the swap or not for me. This means I have to buy the transmission ahead of time, and if I buy it and it they can't do it, then I just wasted $$$ on a 6spd tranny that would just be sitting around and that's means my suspension mods will have to wait.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:42 PM

I have a race shop that I deal with here in MD that takes care of all my custom mods/fabrication/and anything else, so basically, I give them the idea and then they make it happen. Depends on how much work is REALLY involved in doing this and also the down time and cost, I might either make it happen or not. My race shop needs to see how much stuff did the salvage yard really take off the maxima before they can determine if the can do the swap or not for me. This means I have to buy the transmission ahead of time, and if I buy it and it they can't do it, then I just wasted $$$ on a 6spd tranny that would just be sitting around and that's means my suspension mods will have to wait.
Didn't you say it was a friend's tranny, can't you just borrow it, take it to the shop, if you cant do it then return it to him...
Old 12-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Armed and Dangerous

The only real work would be to drill through the fire wall for the clutch master cylinder. Other than that, it should be a straight forward install.

Also, why not get a new tranny and clutch, and take the rest from the wrecked maxima?
Old 12-06-2004, 06:49 PM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by orlando00i30
Didn't you say it was a friend's tranny, can't you just borrow it, take it to the shop, if you cant do it then return it to him...
I can't, in my first post i explained that the car was totalled and is sitting in a salvage yard. He had a lean holder on the car and the car is not really his it's the lean holder. HOWEVER, my friend knows where the car is residing and was up to the insurance company and lean holder to leave the vehicle at the salvage yard to be stripped. The salvage yard is who has the tranny and other salvageable pieces from the maxima. LONG STORY SHORT, I have to buy the tranny from the salvage yard first.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:51 AM
Donating i30 Owner

ahh does that tranny have the slip diff.. like the anniversary edition max..?
Old 12-16-2004, 10:46 PM
MaxedOut97SE

Do what you want, good luck, but I bet the car would fall apart if you converted.

Old 12-17-2004, 07:12 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by MaxedOut97SE
Do what you want, good luck, but I bet the car would fall apart if you converted.
I know that's why I am not thinking about the 6speed conversion anymore. I rather get the JWT Cams, Technosquare ecu flash, valve body mod and then supercharger if i want to go all out. I figure that will get me into the 12's with some practice. So then my goal would be met, and I will still be able to pull those mods off with ease if I do want to trade my car in, in the future.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:48 AM
MaxedOut97SE

Yeah I mean c'mon here these are Infiniti's.....not civics and neons....let those rice rockets continue to think they're cool while you drive in style in a premium branded car. One time this a$$hole in some POS stanza got smoked by me a number of times.....so the dude rolls down his window and tells me about his friend with a 6 speed Max that would smoke me....my reply was " Um...ok.....my friend has an M3 that would smoke that...your point?" Then i was like "I don't give a f@ck this is an Infiniti, not a nissan, If I wanted a Maxima I would have bought that..actually thats what I traded for this"....he got mad and was like "Oh it's your fathers car" I shot back with "Um no wanna see the title?" He drove off.

Old 12-20-2004, 10:11 PM

For my age, the 2001 3.0L I30 is pretty fast. It has power whenever I need, but it also has a lot of torque steer too, but I still love it.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:13 PM

My bad guys I posted my previous reply at the wrong place, sorry.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:15 PM

Not a bad idea with the 6speed tranny. But do you really want to go through all that trouble to find out it does not work? Anyways just to switch gears a little. I have an 03 Max and was wandering if the power rear sunshade on an 03 or 04 Infiniti I35 would fit on the Max. I believe the rear windshield is about the same size on both cars. I am thinking of buying one from an Infiniti dealer.