Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Airbag light flashing (and Queens, NY warning)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 11:15 AM

Airbag light flashing (and Queens, NY warning)

Just had my battery and alternator changed- the alternator was pretty much completely shot leading to my battery problems. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions/advice with that problem.

Now, after hitting a huge pothole in Queens (Wasn't going fast, it was a deep hole) and really smacking the front end of the I30, the airbag light started flashing. Not right away, maybe a few hours after I hit the thing. I'm thinking it happened more as a result of hitting that hole rather than having the alternator changed.

Anyone know how to diagnose that?

Also, if anyone's in Jamaica, Queens, stay away from Archer and around 168th. There's a deep maybe foot wide trench that stretches the entire length of the street.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:27 AM

d'oh! forgot to check the 4th Gen FAQ

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=254238

Gives the procedure for resetting the Airbag light:

a) Open driver's door. Look for rubber covered button low on the B pillar (Driver's Door Switch, DDS).

b) Turn ignition from OFF to ON.

c) Press DDS 5 times within 7 seconds.

d) Turn ignition OFF. Close door. Start engine.

e) If the light stays on/still blinks, head to the Dealer.

Oh lord, please let that light turn off. Nothing worse than taking one's car to the dealer for diagnosis or repair.

-r
Old 02-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Donating i30 Owner

yea i had this proba few weeks ago.. did reset.. then it came back a feaw days ago... gonna reset one more time.. then if it comes on.. again.. = ( imam take it to my guy.. then .. -= ( dealer..

i have an extender warranty is that covered..?
man now i have to look at the face of the sutpid dealer workers when the see my headlights... = \
Old 02-07-2005, 02:59 PM

Can a private mechanic diagnose that? I thought only the dealer had the equipment.

Not sure if that's covered under an extended warranty. The airbag system is supposed to be checked at around 10 years after manufacture- so cynically I assume it wouldn't be covered.

Would the headlights void the warranty? That would suck.

Remember - stay away from Archer Ave. That whole road looks like it was flown in from Iraq.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:21 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by I30racerx
Can a private mechanic diagnose that?...
Yes. Anyone can buy any of the specialty tools (including consult) required for any job on that car.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Donating i30 Owner

OH BEFORE YOU GO TO MECH do the reset for the airbag.. and if the light dissapears.. it might me the thing int eh steering wheel.. srry i forgot the name.. ahh it at tip of tounge... anyway it runs the wires through the steering so that when u turn the steering the wire doesnt get pulled out.. if something goes wrong with that.. this can happen..
Old 02-08-2005, 03:05 PM

i30ds - That makes sense. I'll see if my local guy can check it out before heading to the dealer.

Homer - I've gotta check that wire. How would I get to it? Is the connector on the engine side of the steering column or on the passenger compartment side?
Old 02-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Donating i30 Owner

oh my friend its not repairable.. its not the wire.. its the mechanism... if it is deffective its gone... new one is couple hundred bucks... but do the reset if its the mechanism the reset should bring it back to normal....
Old 02-16-2005, 02:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by I30racerx
Not sure if that's covered under an extended warranty. The airbag system is supposed to be checked at around 10 years after manufacture- so cynically I assume it wouldn't be covered.
Actually, just went through this myself. Turns out that airbag failure IS covered by warranty, but not where you'd expect. Read the fine print in your warranty supplement, and it is covered by the POWERTRAIN WARRANTY. I had to dig the supplement out of my glovebox and show it to the service manager before they'd agree to cover it under warranty. Once they saw it, they asked to photocopy that page for future reference.

So if you're still under at least your powertrain warranty, get it into the dealer and enjoy driving one of their G35s for the day while they fix it for free.