Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Do 2002 & newer I35s have same issues as Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 01:32 PM

Do 2002 & newer I35s have same issues as Maxima?

The lease on my 2002 Maxima will be up in a year. I really like all the features the car has that many other cars do not (heated steering wheel for instance) and I'm thinking I could pick up a used I35 when I have to hand in my car. Seems to be a little nicer on the inside and has a few things the Max doesn't (rear heated seats, sunshade, etc..)

Are the 2002 and up I35s plagued with the same issues as the Maxima?

Bose stereo problem? (I've gone through 5 under warranty)

Hood fitment?

I plan on owning the car for a while and I know the costs can add up if they are no longer under warranty.

Bottom line is I love the car, but don't want to be stuck with similar quirks outside of a warranty.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax1996
The lease on my 2002 Maxima will be up in a year. I really like all the features the car has that many other cars do not (heated steering wheel for instance) and I'm thinking I could pick up a used I35 when I have to hand in my car. Seems to be a little nicer on the inside and has a few things the Max doesn't (rear heated seats, sunshade, etc..)

Are the 2002 and up I35s plagued with the same issues as the Maxima?

Bose stereo problem? (I've gone through 5 under warranty)

Hood fitment?

I plan on owning the car for a while and I know the costs can add up if they are no longer under warranty.

Bottom line is I love the car, but don't want to be stuck with similar quirks outside of a warranty.
Well MadMax I own a 2002 I35 (and have since it was 6 months old) I have to tell you that unfortunately the I35 does suffer from similar problems as the Maxima. For ex, I have been through 3 Bose head units since I have owned the car. I have been through rattles, creeks, squils, squats, bangs, thuds, and other noises that cause people to freak out with their vehicles and all have been dealt with under warranty. Its inevitable, the Maxima's twin has some of the same problems....

On a good side of things though, if you buy a used I35 from a CPO Infiniti dealership, you can purchase the extended warranty and get up to 5 years (and up to 110,000 miles) on the car warranty coverage with no deductible. So if you want to own the car for a while, I would suggest this to you so you will not go through the same problems.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:18 PM

I have a 2001 I30T, which I bought CPO last year. In retrospect, my car is pretty decent, no major transmission problems or anything else. Only problems are the crappy Bass subwoofer, assorted squeaks/rattles with the dash, and a crappy ride.

I'm not sure what you're looking for (sporty or not), but if I were to do it again, I may have opted for a 2000 or 2001 Lexus ES300 and paid a few grand more but it would have been well worth it to not deal with stupid things.

Anyway, ES300 is rock solid I hear, and sure it's not thrilling to drive, but our I30/Maxima/I35 isn't exactly a Porsche either ya know? Oh and it has a much better luxurious ride as well.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the input guys. What makes me want the car is pretty much the engine - it's great. Fast, smooth and pretty efficient (coming from a V8 T-bird this thing sips gas). My Maxima SE's ride is a tad stiff but it never bothers me. I figure the I35 is more like a Maxima GLE, which I'm fine with. I've just become used to having certain features.

The Lexus IS300 is a great car - but a bit short on horsepower and it's a smaller car (interior room).

I really also like the Acura 3.2TL Type S. The styling is a bit bland but I'd trade that for the Honda reliability. BUT - they don't even put automatic headlights on it! Even my T-bird had that! I've also heard of transmission issues - which Honda has stood behind thankfully. I've driven an 04 TL and it's like butta - but I don't think the value of them will drop enough in a year for me to be able to afford it (price range is low 20k).

The G35 is a great car too, but it has it's own issues (checked on a G35 board). Apparently it's known to have squeeks and rattles also! Not entirely crazy about the interior layout either (power window and seat buttons awkwardly located, stereo volume on right side of dash and isn't rotary, etc...) I also don't think it has a heated steering wheel (call me spoiled - but a car of his caliber should have it IMHO).

Another car I've always loved is the Lexus GS300/400/430. I could probably afford an older GS300 (2000/01, maybe 02 in a year from now) but the 300 is a bit short on power, or at least next to my Maxima it is. The GS400 has 300hp but I'd have to go with an older one with higher mileage to swing the price. I hear the reliability of these cars are top notch - BUT if something should go wrong, I can only imagine it would be big bucks.

I like the TSX also, but like the IS300 it's a bit short on power. Oh well - I still have a year to figure it all out. I'm a "car guy" and am pretty aware of all the models out there... decisions decisions.... I just would like to have a car at the same level as the Maxima - don't want to step it down.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:11 PM

Its good to know your doing your homework on these models. (I was in the same boat in 2003 when I bought my 02 I35 from a guy who traded it in for a 04 Maxima, crazy right?) But I feel your pain. Realiztically the I35 is a tremendously gracious car that gives you a bit of everything. Inside and out, the I35 has the styling, the class, the size, the feel, the amenities, the power, and best of all the appeal of a true luxury car. (Unlike the competition which lack something to compete in the price range.) The only beef I have ever had aside from the ones I mentioned before is resale value. It is hella low and is dropping MORE now that the new 06 M35/M45 has been released.