Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

UGH CV Boot Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 05:06 PM

UGH CV Boot Problem!

So I posted a few weeks ago saying that I was having ticking while driving coming from my front passenger side wheel area. WEll today I had enough and when I got home I took the wheel off to see what the hell that noise is.

I saw greece all over everything behind my rotor!!! Then I found a hole big enoug to fit a golf ball into in the side of my CV Boot!! DAMN IT!!

So, I am thinking I should let the professionals fix this one. Any thoughts?

Also, can someone tell me what will happen if I drive with the CV boot like this for another 3 to 4 weeks? Will I be alright? I hope so because I can't get it fixed right now!!!

Thanks again.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:56 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

It will be fine to drive around like that, but the axel should be replaced. Don't just replace the boot. A new axel can be had for around $100, install can be kinda a PITA so it is up to you if your up to the task. Replacing the whole axel is the way to go and won't cost much more. When a boot is torn like that all sorts of stuff can get in that joint, you don't want to just replace the boot then 5K miles have to replace the CV joint because it failed due to being left to the elements for so long
Old 04-25-2005, 08:35 PM
SimStones

yeah, you're gonna wanna replace the whole axel. It took me about 5 hours to do both axels, the only thing i couldn't do was break the axel nut, i had to take it to a shop to break it. The passenger side is a bit tougher than the drivers side, patience and gloves will work wonders. My nuckles are still reeling from the experience.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:32 PM
日産

I replaced both axles last year. A few notes from what I went through.

1. Replacing axles by yourself can save you money but as Mike implied you may or may not be able to do it depending on how difficult it becomes as you proceed, or what tools you have. For example I was able to change driver's side, but failed to do so by myself on passenger's side. I took out three 12mm bolts on the support bearing but just couldn't separate the shaft from the bearing. I brought the car to a shop and they used torch to separate it.

2. Check your driver's side drive shaft, too. It may be OK for now but chances are, if one side is gone, the other side may be going too pretty soon. That's what happened to me.

3. Contrary to what most people said, I was able to loosen axle nuts on both sides without any difficulty. If you take time and put spare tire on, you will be able to loosen it while the car is still on ground.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:15 AM

Thanks for all the info guys! I think I will take the car to a shop for this one and have them do the work. I also think I will go ahead and replace both Axles and the drive shaft all at once. Damn, this sounds like it will be rather expensive, but hopefully my car will be brand new after this. LOL

Does anyone know if you can purchase parts and then take them to a shop and have them perform the work? That may be the way to go huh?

Oh well, thanks again for all the help guys!
Old 04-26-2005, 06:17 AM

your car doesnt have a drive shaft just left and right axles
Old 04-26-2005, 07:24 AM
日産

Originally Posted by Dr.Monkey1313
Does anyone know if you can purchase parts and then take them to a shop and have them perform the work? That may be the way to go huh?
Depends on a shop you bring your axles to. Try finding a independent shop and make sure that the shop accepts the parts you sourced. Franchised chains such as Midas or Car-X don't usually accept parts they did not source themselves though they don't manufacture ones and have to source from auto parts shops anyway. You can buy remanufactured axles from any auto parts shop like Autozone or Advance Auto Parts. Alternatively, if you want a new axle you can buy one from raxles.com though they are little more expensive than remanufactured ones.

My recommendation is to buy a new axle from raxles.com and have an independent shop replace it. Make sure you get your old axle back to send to raxles.com so you don't get core charged.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:48 AM

CreativeDesignes: LOL oh! Well thats' good news. I mean, if my car doesn't have that then it means nothing can be wrong with it right??? LOL

hasei: Thanks for the info. I will check out that site and see what they have and the $$. I will call around to some shops and see if they will hook me up. UGH, I hate this part about cars. You know, the part where you have to fix broken stuff. lol
Old 04-26-2005, 11:59 AM

Hey everyone, just an FYI:

I just called www.raxles.com and here is what they said about the 96 I30 front right and left axles.

Drivers side $119
Passenger side: $149
No core charge, but you need to send your old ones back. If you don't, then there is a core charge. They send you a pre paid stamped envelope to send yours back.

Before ordering, they need to know if your car has LSD or not? I have a 96 I30 Automatic, does anyone know if I have LSD? LOL

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:06 PM
日産

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....&highlight=LSD

My understanding is that most U.S. Maximas and I30s don't have a LSD.