Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Sunroof problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 07:43 PM

Sunroof problem

I started a post a while back but I couldn't find it to add to. Basically, my sunroof on my '00 I30 moves in 2" increaments no matter which switch you push. The auto open annd close does not work. Both switches will tilt or open the sunroof.

The consensus in the last post was bad motor/controller. I replaced it with a new one. No change. So I replaced the switch assembly. No change.

What else could it be?

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-08-2005, 07:50 PM

Does anyone have an electrical schematic of the sunroof that you could email me?

Like, is there a position sensor or something?

Thanks!

carl_muehlenbeck@yahoo.com
Old 06-08-2005, 10:11 PM

OK all you tech gurus, time to chime in.

When I disconnect the battery for at least 10 min, the buttons go back to one button for tilt, one for slide. If I hold the slide button to open, it will open at a contant speed until it gets half way open, then it goes back to 2" increments on both buttons. The only way to get it out of that mode is to disconnect the battery again.

Freakn' weird!

Does anyone know of a reset or adjustment procedure for this sunroof?
Old 06-09-2005, 12:09 PM

Dang....I could assist but understand that the setup is a bit different than mine.

That's an odd quirk.

The only adjustment I ran into after tearing mine down (headliner out, entire rack out, etc) was on the motor itself. It has a travel limit indicator on it and is adjustable only by turning the gear that moves the roof and noting where the limit indicator is. Next you have to install the motor and see if it closes and opens correctly. If it doesn't, you pull the motor back out and move the limit indicator again and retry it.

Getting the motor out was an all day task. I have a post deep within here if you want the process.

One other person here had your same year and reported about a month or 2 ago that the motor went bad (and the whole time I was thinking the cables had broken like mine had).

Good luck and do post when you figure it out.....
Old 06-09-2005, 11:46 PM

I think the dude that was the same year was me. Cables seem good. The consnensus in that post was motor/controller. $200 later I still have the same problem. It is defenitatly a reset/adjustment issue. I don't have a clue how to do it.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by cmuehlenb
I started a post a while back but I couldn't find it to add to. Basically, my sunroof on my '00 I30 moves in 2" increaments no matter which switch you push. The auto open annd close does not work. Both switches will tilt or open the sunroof.

The consensus in the last post was bad motor/controller. I replaced it with a new one. No change. So I replaced the switch assembly. No change.

What else could it be?

Thanks for your help!
Here is a schematic of the sunroof:

Click Here

You need to replace the relay.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:21 AM

Just the relay? Sweet! Looks like an easy cheap fix (finally). Just sux that it went the way it did to figure it out though...

I wonder...just to make sure.... are there other identical relays on the same interface board that will allow you to trade them? (to make sure that the relay is bad) This would esnure you're not spending evan more money for what could be a chaffed wire somewhere.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Double E
Just the relay? Sweet! Looks like an easy cheap fix (finally). Just sux that it went the way it did to figure it out though...

I wonder...just to make sure.... are there other identical relays on the same interface board that will allow you to trade them? (to make sure that the relay is bad) This would esnure you're not spending evan more money for what could be a chaffed wire somewhere.

I'm not sure it is going to be cheap. You never know with Nissan parts.

One more thing you might do is to check the fuse, if you haven't already done so. A bad ground might also be the problem...but I still suspect it is the relay, and there is only one of them.

Either way, you need to have someone with a knowledge of the circuitry to do the testing. If it were me, I'd take it to a place that installs sunroofs rather than to a regular mechanic -- the labor rates will be cheaper...especially for the electrical diagnosis.

Here's why I suspect the relay:

Any time you have a circuit in which a momentary relay is involved, and the operation occurs intermittantly, on its own like yours, you have to suspect the relay. A relay contains a electromagnet hooked to a low load/low voltage switch that, when activated, closes a circuit to a high load motor that cannot be connected directly to the switch -- hence the sole purpose of the relay.

I would not trade relays since they are very application-specific. You can easily have the sunroof relay tested for proper operation.

As you can see by the wiring diagram, the ony other thing that could go bad is the circuit breaker, but if it did, it would shut down as soon as current hit it and not allow for intermittent operation of the sunroof.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:53 PM

The relay seems to work every time the switch is pressed. It just only works for two inches of travel. It almost seems like the sunroof is confused, the moter is moving the same amount of turns as is does in tilt mode. The problem is that it does this fixed number of turns in slide mode too. So you have to push the button like 6 times to get a full open. For some reason, the sun roof is stuck in tilt mode with both buttons.

This changes when I disconnect the battery for at least 5 min. It goes out of tilt mode, the buttons work like they should, until the sunroof is slid half open, then it goes back into tilt mode again and only moves 2 inches at a time. Disconnecting the battery must reset the motor controller memory. But then, it goes nuts again when its half open. But the auto open never works. I wonder if it's a mechanical deal?

I don't think the relay is bad. It is a consistant problem. If the relay had intermittant failures, then the problem would be more random. The fuses are good too.

M13, M73, M111 looks like it fires the relay. I think this is where the problem is. Where do these connect? I don't understand what is going on there. What are those two dots?

Thanks!!
Old 06-10-2005, 06:39 PM

The relay seems to work every time the switch is pressed. It just only works for two inches of travel. It almost seems like the sunroof is confused, the moter is moving the same amount of turns as is does in tilt mode. The problem is that it does this fixed number of turns in slide mode too. So you have to push the button like 6 times to get a full open. For some reason, the sun roof is stuck in tilt mode with both buttons.

This changes when I disconnect the battery for at least 5 min. It goes out of tilt mode, the buttons work like they should, until the sunroof is slid half open, then it goes back into tilt mode again and only moves 2 inches at a time. Disconnecting the battery must reset the motor controller memory. But then, it goes nuts again when its half open. But the auto open never works. I wonder if it's a mechanical deal?

I don't think the relay is bad. It is a consistant problem. If the relay had intermittant failures, then the problem would be more random. The fuses are good too.

M13, M73, M111 looks like it fires the relay. I think this is where the problem is. Where do these connect? I don't understand what is going on there. What are those two dots?

Thanks!!
Well, I don't wish to argue here. I'll just reiterate the need to have the circuits checked out.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:25 AM

Most of the circuitry in the schematic has been replaced with new components except the relay, fuses and CB. There is nothing really to checkout. There must be a sensor some where that's out of adjustment or bad. I bet thats what M13, M73, and M111 is.

Thanks for your help! I will get it figured out sometime.

DR-RIP: Thanks for the schematic!
Old 06-13-2005, 11:01 AM

You're very welcome.

BTW, M13, M73, and M111 are ground points on the car body, not sensors.

My money is still on a bad relay.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:55 PM

This sounds an awful lot like the problem I had with my 6th gen maxima. There was actually a TSB for it I believe.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:44 PM

I was looking for TSBs on this. There was one for sunroof opens by it self. This one replaced the motor and frame due to water damage. There was another on sunroof tilts on its own, this one replaced the switch. I couldn't find any more. I replaced both components.

If you run a across this TSB, let me know.

DR-RIP

Why would they tie three grounds together like that. They have to be switched, otherwise the relay would be fired all the time since these three signals complete the circuit that fires the relay. The other side goes directly to power. It could be a return from the switch. I can't find any sensors.

I will check the relay anyway.
Thanks!
Old 06-13-2005, 07:15 PM

I was looking for TSBs on this. There was one for sunroof opens by it self. This one replaced the motor and frame due to water damage. There was another on sunroof tilts on its own, this one replaced the switch. I couldn't find any more. I replaced both components.

If you run a across this TSB, let me know.

DR-RIP

Why would they tie three grounds together like that. They have to be switched, otherwise the relay would be fired all the time since these three signals complete the circuit that fires the relay. The other side goes directly to power. It could be a return from the switch. I can't find any sensors.

I will check the relay anyway.
Thanks!

These chassis grounds connect to a whole host of other components. Despite how they appear in the diagram, they are not actually close to one another.

I have not seen a TSB related to your specific problem.

Can you get hold of a multimeter? They are fairly cheap at Wal-Mart or Radio Shack. You can use one to test the sunroof circuitry.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:46 AM

Hello all, i just bought a 2002 I35 last week and I am currently experiencing the same problem with the sunroof. when I test drove the car the switches worked fine. The day of the pick-up the full slide switch all of a sudden didn't work and i was only able to open the sun roof with the tilt button (at a slow pulsing rate). The car is still under warranty so i'll be bringing it in the infiniti dealership soon to get it checked out. i'll keep you gusy updated.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:59 PM
Donating i30 Owner

DEALER my friends. sunroof probs can get very very expensive at dealer unless ur under warranty..
Old 06-18-2005, 02:54 AM

on a similar note, I too am experiencing problems with my Sunroof. I've a 96' Maxima, and the roof slides about half way but then it stops sliding although i hear the motor running when i'm pressing the button...Is it broken or more likely that something is stuck in the track? I'm going to try and check more today.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by SiOrange
Hello all, i just bought a 2002 I35 last week and I am currently experiencing the same problem with the sunroof. when I test drove the car the switches worked fine. The day of the pick-up the full slide switch all of a sudden didn't work and i was only able to open the sun roof with the tilt button (at a slow pulsing rate). The car is still under warranty so i'll be bringing it in the infiniti dealership soon to get it checked out. i'll keep you gusy updated.
Cool, Let me know how they fix it.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2005, 09:41 PM

I had the same problem! My moonroof worked normally with no indication of malfunction/failure until 3 days ago. In the morning, I jumped in the max, started her up and pushed the auto-open button on the moonroof. Instead of opening up it simply started to TILT!

It happened just like cmuehlenb said above. Because the switches were malfunctioning, I never got a GOOD closed position. Good thing it's not rain season. I let it go for a few days hoping it would somehow go away as quickly as it appeared...yea right. So I searched the .org via Google and found this thread. I thought disconnecting the negative battery cable was a good idea so I did just that.

I waited about 5 minutes and re-connected the negative cable.
To my amazement and relief the moonroof works like it should!
I tested it about 3 times each auto-open/auto-close/open/close/tilt open/tilt close and it seems to be operating normally. Too bad it didn't work as good for cmuehlenb...tough break man. Hope you get it solved soon...keep us posted and let us know how it goes.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:27 PM

It must be an adjusment or something. I will try again. You gave me Hope!

Thanks for the reply!
Old 11-08-2005, 02:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any Possible Answer To This Sunroof Problem???

Samething happened to me yesterday. The only thing is yesterday I can out to my car and noticed the sunroof open and my trunk open? Weird huh????

So I close the trunk and try to shut the sunroof....it goes 2" and stops...so I push the button again...2" and stops...after it gets to a somewhat closed position it goes into a tilt position.

Now my sunroof is stuck in a tilt position. I've disconnected my battery for 10min, 3 hours, & 8 hours! I cant get the the sunroof out of tilt mode.

I get a click noise when I push the tilt mode button....

HELP!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2005, 02:58 PM
Got Projectors?

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...3&postcount=14
The above link details a way to "reset" the 00-01 sunroof, perhaps it might help:

1. Close your sunroof all the way.
2. Turn off your car.
3. Disconnect your battery.
4. Turn on your lights, and step on your brakes. Do it like 10 times. (You are basically draining the system.)
5. Hook up your battery.
6. Tilt your sunroof up, then back down.
7. Pull back on the slide lever. It should be fixed.

It's basically like rebooting your computer.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:34 AM

i got this problem like a couple months ago and didn't catch this thread. does this resetting method work? have any of you other guys tried it yet?
Old 02-07-2006, 02:43 PM

Xservice0183: I had a similar issue and if you go to my cardomain page, I have posted the instructions that you may need to fix it. I also posted some more info about what parts to ask for from Nissan. i hope that helps. PM me if you need more info.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/796084 Go to the 3rd page.