Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Instrument Cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 11:53 AM

Instrument Cover

I bought a new cover from everythingnissan.com for my instrument gauge because the old one was scratched up. Does anyone know how to install this? I tried unscrewing the top two screws but cannot figure out where the screws are the hold the bottom section on (where the gas tank, cruise, etc. are located) Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-08-2005, 12:36 PM

Remove the plastic around the steering column. You can get to the screws from underneath. When you have that out of the way, you should be able to locate the screws holding in the guage cluster. Then you just have to unhook the wiring harnesses in back.

It may be a little different on your car, but I bet it's pretty much the same.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:56 PM

There are no screws that hold the bottom of the plastic section of the black trim piece you are talking about on. You unscrew the top 2 screws and then gently pry the bottom part out by sliding in a thin flat blade screw driver in between the side of the trim piece and the dashboard. May want to wrap the screwdriver with a thin cloth or papertowel.

The bottom of the trim piece is held in place by a clip type thing on either side. You need to drop your steering wheel before you will be able to remove the guage clister. If you need help with how to do that, let me know and I can help. I have removed the damn guage cluster a million times. lol
Old 07-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Armed and Dangerous

You need to remove the plastic around the steering column. The screws are on the bottom.

After that is out of the way, you need to remove the 2 screws at the top.

Then gentely pull the bottom of the black trim out... it is held in place by a couple of screws.

After that is out, disconnect the security light, fuel release, interior lights, and cruise contronl buttons.

You now will have a direct shot at the gauge cluster. You can remove the 3 screws that hold it in, in order to give yourself a little more wiggle room, but that is optional. I left them in when I replaced my glass.

Getting the old glass out is a b!tch... You pretty much just have to fucc the holy hell outta the thing in order to get it out. Since you are putting in a new one in anyway, fuccing it up should not be an issue.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:23 AM

ok I tried to install the glass this morning.... I took 4 screws out of the bottom of the plastic on the steering column. Are there only 4 screws or are there more? I tried to pry apart the two plastic halves and there's something at the back holding the dang thing together! I didn't want to use a whole lot of force because it felt as if it was going to break. Does anyone have an idea of how hard it's supposed to be to pull the halves apart.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by Davis81387
ok I tried to install the glass this morning.... I took 4 screws out of the bottom of the plastic on the steering column. Are there only 4 screws or are there more? I tried to pry apart the two plastic halves and there's something at the back holding the dang thing together! I didn't want to use a whole lot of force because it felt as if it was going to break. Does anyone have an idea of how hard it's supposed to be to pull the halves apart.
There are 6 screws. You probably have 2 more further down the trim.