Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

New here

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 06:41 PM

New here

Hello,

Well now that I have over 15 posts, I can make a thread I thought I'd introduce myself.

Anyways, I have been into Nissans/Infinitis for a while now.

I currently have two Infinitis:

1994 G20: Bought it a month ago with 100K miles. Bought it for $1,600. (My distributor just went out. I need a new one...let me know if you have it or know anyone that does).

2000 I30t: Bought it about 5-6 months ago with 124K miles. Now it has 132K miles. I bought it for $4,200.

I put in about $1000 worth of work in it (4 tires, alignment, and alternator).

The other day, however, I had a sad problem. My engine went out. I dont know why though. My engine was in a good shape. Ran strong. I think it was when I changed my alternator, I didnt tighten it enough and so when the bracket (that holds the alternator from the top) broke off, it was rocking back and forth hitting the engine (probably caused damage).

Anyways, its at the shop right now. I found an engine with 10K miles which came off from a '00 Maxima. Hes asking $600. The guy said I can pay 1/2 now and 1/2 after I install it. He lives about 40 min away from me.

Is this a good deal?

I will find out tommorow how much it will cost me (parts and labor).

Anyways, heres my I30:

- Omar
Old 10-27-2005, 07:58 PM

Let me be the first to say welcome

Now for the price of the engine, it sounds like a good deal, I say go for it.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:40 PM
Armed and Dangerous

There is no way that your alternator breaking off that bracket could have damaged your engine... especially to the point where you need a whole new engine.

I dont think your engine "went out". Can you define the problem with the car more?
Old 10-28-2005, 05:22 AM

Well the other day I was driving on the highway and all of a sudden I heard like a "clunking" noise whenever I would try to accelerate. I immediately pulled over.

Right before I turned the car off, the RPM was lower than normal and the low oil light came on.

I turned the car off and got out. I take the dipstick out. There was steam blowing out of it. It smelled like something was burning.

The dipstick was covered in oil all the way to the top.

I check under the car, and it dripped oil a few times, but stopped.

Im totally confused as to what happened.

Do you or anyone know?

By the way, thanks for the welcome.

Thanks,

Omar
Old 10-28-2005, 07:08 AM

First off welcome to the board ....this will probably be your greatest resource for information and modification to your I35...ENJOY! Second, I had a 5-speed 93 G20 about 9 years ago and it was probably the best little car I have ever driven!! You will have loads of fun with that car.

Now to your engine. First $600 sounds like a great price for a complete engine replacement. Labor on something like that will be in the $5-600 neighborhood...So you're looking at around $1.2K for the swap. From what you described it sounds like you may have had a slow oil leak. Did you check the oil in car recently? Have you noticed oil under the car where you park it? If you were running the engine dry, obviously you could have possibly thrown a rod. Did you get any kind of warranty with the purchase? If so, that's something the dealer/seller is responsible for - especially if they sold you car w/ a leak.

Good Luck!!
Old 10-28-2005, 08:11 AM

Welcome to the org! Your I30 there looks nice in the pics, especially for having so many miles. That engine replacement sounds like a great deal considering it only has 10K miles on it. I'm no mechanic so I cant really help you diagnose the problem you were having, sorry. Good Luck!
Old 10-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by Omar
Well the other day I was driving on the highway and all of a sudden I heard like a "clunking" noise whenever I would try to accelerate. I immediately pulled over.

Right before I turned the car off, the RPM was lower than normal and the low oil light came on.

I turned the car off and got out. I take the dipstick out. There was steam blowing out of it. It smelled like something was burning.

The dipstick was covered in oil all the way to the top.

I check under the car, and it dripped oil a few times, but stopped.

Im totally confused as to what happened.

Do you or anyone know?

By the way, thanks for the welcome.

Thanks,

Omar
If you did run the engine low on oil, you probably threw a rod or spun a bearing and the crank. If that is the case, then you will need a new engine. But there is no way this was caused by your alternator.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:11 PM

This is totally off topic, but how come I have over 15 posts and can't start a new thread?