Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Ground wires question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 10:20 AM

Ground wires question

Can someone technical please explain what ground wires are and what they do for our cars?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I was just curious.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:25 PM

Lesseee,

Kind of a newbie question for someone with over 1K posts...but an honest question all the same.

Here's what I know:
Our cars use a 12v negative ground (DC) electrical system. That means on your battery, only the positive terminal is directly connected to the major electrical components of the car (or the connections are branched off from fuse boxes of some sort that have a major positive connection from the battery). The other connection from the battery (negative) is directly connected to the frame of the car and the engine block.

This means that most major components are mounted to the frame or engine block for the negative portion of a complete circuit and sometimes you'll even see a wire from an electircal component coming from a plastic part that bolts to the frame (like the dome/courtesy lights).

Over time, there can be some downside to the negative part of the battery hooking to the frame as opposed to directly to the the electrical device, but in most cases, there is no issue from time taking it's toll on the metal surfaces of the frame & engine block. This method also eliminates 2 paths of wire going to every device in the car and instead the entire car & engine becomes the "negative wire".

Many Euro-built cars back in the day, used a positive ground system but it worked much the same way. Some still use it.

I've been thinking about getting an upgraded negative mounting block and upgraded cables to see about a difference. Others here had noted more immediate electical input responses from Auto tranny's & lights in general and I suppose it may also extent the life of the alternators & batteries.

Hope that helped.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:26 PM
attomica

I haven't felt the need to upgrade the current electrical system in my 2000 I30t, but the car I had before that was a 1991 RX-7. That car was a fantastic piece of machinery, but there were some nagging electrical issues that came up with some frequency. For example, the tachometer was electronic and received its signal from a sending unit. It stopped working one day. I ran a few random wires from the negative battery terminal to various points on the chassis and it resumed function. Radio reception was a lot better after that too. I guess it just increases "electrical flow".

Old 01-06-2006, 07:36 AM

Thanks for the info. I know it's a newbee question, but I am the first to admit that I am not a technical guy when it comes to cars. I am more of a visual mod guy.

It doesn't sound like I need to worry about doing anything with these correct?

Again, thanks for the info.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by Dr.Monkey1313
Thanks for the info. I know it's a newbee question, but I am the first to admit that I am not a technical guy when it comes to cars. I am more of a visual mod guy.

It doesn't sound like I need to worry about doing anything with these correct?

Again, thanks for the info.
I would not worry about it. I put one on as I had heard that it helped the electrical system on the car (i.e. reduce headlights dimming when you rolled up the window), but I felt no effect. You would be better off to put on a new alternator to resolve that issue than a grounding kit.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:58 PM

Thanks i30ds.

Every time I see you post something, I look at that picture and think, "damn, what a clean freekin' engin compartment!!" LOL Nice job!
Old 01-07-2006, 12:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Personally I noticed a difference on automatic with my 7 wire grounding kit only after replacing the aftermarket aluminum (bad conductor) block spacer to a brass spacer ($1.50 piece from hardware store). The most noticeable difference is that the TCM seems to works more efficiently, allowing me to stay in one gear all the way to redline and have better control over auto-shifting. Its a subtle upgrade at best, I got mine with a voltage stabilizer for $80 total, and I hear I got ripped for it, so if you can find the package deal for $50, pick it up, it helps a bit and makes your engine bay look more professional :
Old 01-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Thanks i30ds.

Every time I see you post something, I look at that picture and think, "damn, what a clean freekin' engin compartment!!" LOL Nice job!
Thanks! When I first bought the car, the engine was extremely dirty... It looked like it had never been cleaned. So I sprayed it down with some castrol engine degreaser, hosed it off with water, and then just maintained it from time to time with a little armor all on a rag. It really works great.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:49 AM

I will have to try that out maybe this weekend! So you just spary the Castrol Engine Degreaser all over the engine bay, let it sit for a few and then hose it off? And that won't harm anything under there? I don't need to cover anything up or worry about water on anything, do I?

I will have to try that. Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:17 PM

I will have to try that out maybe this weekend! So you just spary the Castrol Engine Degreaser all over the engine bay, let it sit for a few and then hose it off? And that won't harm anything under there? I don't need to cover anything up or worry about water on anything, do I?

I'm pretty sure its a good idea to cover up the distributor. Anybody else?
Old 01-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by clayman88
I'm pretty sure its a good idea to cover up the distributor. Anybody else?
Yeah, but too bad we don't have one.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Yup. It comes in a plastic purple spray bottle. I covered up my cone air filter with a plastic bag and a rubber band, but since you probably have the stock air box, you won't need to cover anything up. Just give the engine ample time to dry in the warm sun after you hose it off.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Donating i30 Owner

well instead of putting ground wires ... change the damm connector that connects to the battery terminal.. the ones that come stock suck...

i noticed shifitn on auto became better paired with the REDtop battery
Old 01-11-2006, 05:13 AM

True, those stock connectors at the battery posts do suck. The negative wire looks weak too. It may be just the thing I do next...
Old 01-11-2006, 07:20 AM

Sweet. I may try this in a few days. Thanks for the info.

On another topic, i am going to post a new question about converting from the stock air box to cone air filter. Look for that post and give me your thougths when you can

Thanks
Old 01-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Sweet. I may try this in a few days. Thanks for the info.

On another topic, i am going to post a new question about converting from the stock air box to cone air filter. Look for that post and give me your thougths when you can

Thanks
Just get either of these:

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/cus...asp?PartID=360
http://www.stillen.com/Sportscars_de...d=43667&page=1

The stillen is cheaper and higher quality, so I would go with that. Not only does the kit include a cone filter but it has a velocity stack that mounts up the the MAF housing and then the cone clamps down on that. The whole thing is mounted on to a bracket for support. THe kit includes instructions and all you need is wreches to do this job.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by i30ds
Yeah, but too bad we don't have one.
LOL...wow...I dont claim to know a whole lot about cars, but I thought all cars had a distributor.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:12 AM

Clay,

It's true. We don't have a distributor in the traditional sense of the term. Of course, a spark is sent to the plugs, but it is actually sent (or triggered) directly from individual coils atop each spark plug by our computer.

Read my long post on the topic in a thread from a few weeks ago.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:58 AM
大陆弟弟

So does anyone have a writeup with pics for installing a grounding kit for a 5.5gen? I know irish has one about his 5th gen...
Old 01-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Armed and Dangerous

LOL...wow...I dont claim to know a whole lot about cars, but I thought all cars had a distributor.
You thought wrong.

Our cars do not have a distributor as it has a coil pack for each individual spark plug... thus a distributor is not needed... hence the term "distributorless ignition". I guess its a good thing you really don't claim to know a whole lot about cars.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Donating i30 Owner

Just get either of these:

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/cus...asp?PartID=360
http://www.stillen.com/Sportscars_de...d=43667&page=1

The stillen is cheaper and higher quality, so I would go with that. Not only does the kit include a cone filter but it has a velocity stack that mounts up the the MAF housing and then the cone clamps down on that. The whole thing is mounted on to a bracket for support. THe kit includes instructions and all you need is wreches to do this job.

the most debated mod for our cars.. everyone claims that u looose on low end.. and here in ny all i use is accel dont get to go that fast.. so i don tknwo..
Old 01-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by HomerMAC
the most debated mod for our cars.. everyone claims that u looose on low end.. and here in ny all i use is accel dont get to go that fast.. so i don tknwo..
Yeah, I've read the threads, and I think the lowend loss thing is bullsh!t. I know the way this car drives like the back of my hand, and I never detected any loss anywhere in the rpm range. I did not detect any gain either though. Anyways, even so, the audible tone that the engine emits with a cone filter is worth it alone.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:04 PM

You thought wrong.

Our cars do not have a distributor as it has a coil pack for each individual spark plug... thus a distributor is not needed... hence the term "distributorless ignition". I guess its a good thing you really don't claim to know a whole lot about cars.
Thanks for restating the obvious there, buddy.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Thanks for restating the obvious there, buddy.
You're welcome... just stopping the spread of obvious misinformation, buddy.