Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Oh My F'ing Gosh, I Got A Hit An Run...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 09:52 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Oh My F'ing Gosh, I Got A Hit An Run...

Yep as the title would say, I parked my car on 9th street (one way) in DC this morning (for some dumbass reason) and I got side swiped. The F'er clean swipped my quarter panel and rear wheel well. I am so pissed off right now I can't even think straight. I usually park in the garage, but today I had to run an a quick aaron and decided to park at a meter for an hour. Low and behold, I got nipped. I just came back from to estimates shops and one is $546 and the other is $808 worth of damage.

I need help. My deductable is 500 because I put my fiance on my insurance and Insurance is already high on both of my cars (no tickets or accidents). Should I go through insurance or pay for the damages myself??? Man I want to cry so bad. I didn't get a note or nothing how F'ing rude man. I was suppose to go to the car show this weekend and meet up with the DC crew for a meet and now this shiat. For all of those hit and run drivers
Old 01-24-2006, 09:55 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

and sorry guys no picks. My camera phone is broke and I only had a disposal camera in my glove box.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Man, sorry to hear that Lee. Tough call for sure. Insurance shouldn't go up if you do make a claim though. Is one of the shops better than the other?
Old 01-24-2006, 10:45 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by StL I30
Man, sorry to hear that Lee. Tough call for sure. Insurance shouldn't go up if you do make a claim though. Is one of the shops better than the other?
the $546 is a shop that Passport Infiniti uses and they are number 5 in the DC/MD/VA area on top body shops. Their name is NT Body Shop. The only thing is they do not take credit cards. Cash or cashier check, ARGH!

The other $808 is the toyota collision department that I usually go to, to get all my body pieces painted i.e. ST-R kit, Fogs minor dents and scratches.

Toyota is charging arm leg and I might have to use insurance. Where as NT body shop is pretty reasonable and I saw tons of infinitis on the lot getting repaired. I trust my toyota shop because they have done a really good job on all of my custom work however, $808 is pretty steep.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:13 AM

lee so sorry to hear about the damage man. i'm feeling angry right now. i would go with the shop that does Infiti's, because they "seem" to have more experience with Infiniti's. they would seem most likely to repaint things to "factory" specs. also take a look at their work, talk to any of the customers you see hanging around.
the paint on our cars is layered with a certain amount of drying time between each layer, same goes for the clearcoat. this is what i was told by 2 infiniti dealerships when i was looking for a shop to paint my bumper. they said to ask the shop people exactly how they do the painting etc, etc.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:52 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by kingofsorrow
lee so sorry to hear about the damage man. i'm feeling angry right now. i would go with the shop that does Infiti's, because they "seem" to have more experience with Infiniti's. they would seem most likely to repaint things to "factory" specs. also take a look at their work, talk to any of the customers you see hanging around.
the paint on our cars is layered with a certain amount of drying time between each layer, same goes for the clearcoat. this is what i was told by 2 infiniti dealerships when i was looking for a shop to paint my bumper. they said to ask the shop people exactly how they do the painting etc, etc.
Man kings, this is pissing me off so bad. I am trying to save for the brake kit, and now this shiat. I can't believe this. At least my rear passenger body skirt is ok. I would hate to have to reorder any of the ST-R pieces. I think I WILL go with the infiniti shop like you said. They had a dark blue 2000-2001 I30 and a pearl white I35 getting repaired so, I guess I can trust them.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Got Projectors?

Ugh...I know that feeling. But as you said, at least the hard-to-get parts didn't get damaged...been there done that.

I would say just pay for it out of pocket. No need to save $100-300 when it could bite you in the end with higher rates (or if you REALLY need to file a claim if someone wacks you a lot worse). That's what I ended up doing. Of course I'm 21, so insurance rates were a huge concern for me.

Sucks, but it all worked out in the end.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:04 PM

I try my best to avoid reporting anything to the insurance company that's just my philosphy. Or you could report it get your few dollars back and switch to another company before the accident hits whatever searchable databases these companies use in regards to accidents.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:19 PM

This is a time when you get a really high estimate, and then get it fixed somewhere alot cheaper. Have the person doing the estimate to add in cost of painting entire car, you say paint won't match if only some parts are done. Usually the insurance takes the body shop estimate, get two or three, use the highest ones. Go and fix alot cheaper, there are big differeneces in body shops.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:59 PM

sorry about the accident dude i would go through the insurance comapany and get it done properly and i would look to getting the car repainted totally cause silver stands out like some other colors but it may all be up to the insurance company
Old 01-24-2006, 03:38 PM

yeah in massachusetts anyways you wouldn't get surcharged for that, I think dc is also one of the no-fault states (I know dc isn't a state!) and has similiar laws, but I could be wrong. If it makes you feel any better, try to look at it like "it can always be worse"

I love your car btw, I'm jelaous of the sport side-skirts and black headlights, they make it look very nice.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:58 PM

Sorry to hear about your ride Lee.. I think I remember when you first got it too.

Just like Meta said, if you are only going to pay only $100 to $300 more than your deductible, pay it out of your own pocket. Technically, a hit and run should not impact your insurance rate because you're not at fault but that could depend on the insurance companies's interpretation.

Man.... it pisses me off to no end when I hear stories like this. Kind of makes me want to install a hidden cam in my car since I park mine outside all day, at home and at work..

Old 01-25-2006, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Uber-Oakley
Sorry to hear about your ride Lee.. I think I remember when you first got it too.

Just like Meta said, if you are only going to pay only $100 to $300 more than your deductible, pay it out of your own pocket. Technically, a hit and run should not impact your insurance rate because you're not at fault but that could depend on the insurance companies's interpretation.

Man.... it pisses me off to no end when I hear stories like this. Kind of makes me want to install a hidden cam in my car since I park mine outside all day, at home and at work..

Technichally a hit and run shouldn't impact your insurance, but remember insurance companies have to consider fraud.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:26 PM

That sucks big time, man. I'd be so angry I'd probably kick a dog! Any chance the building you were parked outside of had security cams?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by clayman88
That sucks big time, man. I'd be so angry I'd probably kick a dog!
ROFL..that cracked me up big time.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:27 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by clayman88
That sucks big time, man. I'd be so angry I'd probably kick a dog! Any chance the building you were parked outside of had security cams?
Not at all. I was on the corner of 9th and I street and the right there is the US Treasury Dept. The corner where I parked is a blind spot. I am wondering if it was one of those Tow trucks that the city sends out to tow violators. The body shop said the scrapes look like it came from a metal bumper like a Tow truck, dump truck, garbage truck or delivery truck. Who knows, I just know I am out $546 bucks (not including any other damage they didn't see until they start the repair work). I could easily spend that money else where on something more important than a F'ing scrape. V-Day is coming up and other stuff.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by leeI35
Not at all. I was on the corner of 9th and I street and the right there is the US Treasury Dept. The corner where I parked is a blind spot. I am wondering if it was one of those Tow trucks that the city sends out to tow violators. The body shop said the scrapes look like it came from a metal bumper like a Tow truck, dump truck, garbage truck or delivery truck. Who knows, I just know I am out $546 bucks (not including any other damage they didn't see until they start the repair work). I could easily spend that money else where on something more important than a F'ing scrape. V-Day is coming up and other stuff.

well thats your valentines day present to your car as per yur wife you on yur own bro
Old 01-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Tha Snatcher

Damn man, sorry to hear that
Old 01-26-2006, 02:38 PM

I know how bad that sux. Someone did the same thing to me. Unfortunately they got both passenger doors, fender, and scratched my wheel. It was like 3 grand worth of damage.

Maybe a week earlier I also got keyed at school and they got some of the front fender and both doors... What the *** is that!!!

I guess I can be thankful that it was all on one side
Old 02-06-2006, 07:45 AM
dentalstud

The answer is simple: don't run any more "aarons". The time could be better spent at school learning the difference between a common boy name (AARON) and "a short trip taken to perform a specified task" (ERRAND).

Old 02-06-2006, 08:27 AM
boost me.....

Originally Posted by dentalstud
The answer is simple: don't run any more "aarons". The time could be better spent at school learning the difference between a common boy's name (AARON) and "a short trip taken to perform a specified task" (ERRAND).
Thanks for that, I'm sure he appreciated it...BTW this is the internet/....not english class dude...
Old 02-06-2006, 08:33 AM

2 of my friends got a hit and run on their Maximas last month in DC. Never park in the street there!
Old 02-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by dentalstud
The answer is simple: don't run any more "aarons". The time could be better spent at school learning the difference between a common boy name (AARON) and "a short trip taken to perform a specified task" (ERRAND).
I'm sure you forgot the "just kidding around with ya" smiley, right?