Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

New domelight

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 11:53 AM
Got Projectors?

New domelight

I have a new domelight

It's a 1 watt Luxeon Star LED. I don't think I've ever seen any LED this bright in my life. And all this from 1 LED. It puts any other LED replacement bulb I've seen to shame, and (I think) it's brighter than the stock incandescant bulb that was in there.

The pics were taken in daylight with the camera phone, so quality/brightness is not the best. I'll try to take some more at night...it's just incredible. The whole interior is lit up pure white.

Old 04-30-2006, 11:53 AM
Got Projectors?

And I found these on my phone...a couple pics of the new stance with JUST H&R front springs. Still need to resolve the rear spacer issue and go to town with my new PC 7424...ugh...can't wait for summer.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:35 PM

WOW! that is bright Meta. i heard about these, didn't know they were really that bright. i have one of them 9led bulbs, in blue from ebay. it's pretty bright, but nowhere near the bulb you have.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:36 PM

by the way are your rims 18"? you're gap in the rear and front is higher than mine.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Got Projectors?

They're 17" and I'm running 225/50/17 all around. I think with the OEM G35 tires you're running that your overall rolling diameter is larger and thus you've got less gap. The more I look at the pics though the more I miss the look of my H-Techs

That and your wheels are more flush than mine. The gap appears larger than it is because mine are tucked in towards the car. If I can ever get the spacers worked out that should all be fixed.

And yeah, this Luxeon Star is BRIGHT. I did not give anything up when I put this thing in. It was well worth the money.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:39 PM

hey meta. nice car^^ love the rims. well i was just wondering what kind of luxeon star LED that was, like the part number. thanks for the help.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Got Projectors?

Thanks man. It's actually a 1W Luxeon star LED mounted on a driver board.

They're made by a guy who seems to really know his stuff. I ordered it from his website here: http://www.taskled.com/dome.html
Old 05-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Chassis Freak

Wow, never heard of those. That guy knows what he's doing. I installed Metal Maxima's 25-LED dome light and I'm very happy with it. The Luxeon looks much simpler to install but he says it puts out a wamer white than most white LEDs, and I like the cold blueish white of LEDs...looks high tech. Anyway, good find.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by VQuick
Wow, never heard of those. That guy knows what he's doing. I installed Metal Maxima's 25-LED dome light and I'm very happy with it. The Luxeon looks much simpler to install but he says it puts out a wamer white than most white LEDs, and I like the cold blueish white of LEDs...looks high tech. Anyway, good find.
It's supposed to be a warmer white but, at least to me, it appears to still have a blue-ish tinge to it. I don't think it's that far off from the other white 5-led bulbs that I have.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:48 AM

so is it like 35 bux for dome light ?
Old 05-02-2006, 08:54 AM
Got Projectors?

It's like $33 shipped for the domelight module.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:57 PM

i checked the luxeon site and there the leds are cheaper, whyd you go with this guys as opposed to theres which is the same hexagonal led&base?
Old 05-02-2006, 04:59 PM

thats a good price for a mounted Luxeon Star LED. Or you could save a few bucks and do it yourself. I prefer to spend the extra $10 to save an hour of my time.
Lumileds makes some bright LEDs! I have some test LEDS and a flashlight from them. Wow!
Old 05-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by Nakulbhatt87
i checked the luxeon site and there the leds are cheaper, whyd you go with this guys as opposed to theres which is the same hexagonal led&base?
Do some research on Luxeon stars. Amongst other things, you'll find that they need current regulation and and some sort of heatsink as they generate heat. The driver that comes attached to the Star in this case already regulates the current and acts as a sort of heatsink.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:50 PM

oh ok. see, i didn't know they needed the heat sink i saw it as another product on the website, but that makes sense cool man it looks great. Does the led disperse the light evenly or is it a pretty concentrated range (of course less than the incandescent lamp but still "LED like" concentration)?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Got Projectors?

The light is cast at a pretty wide angle. I'd say it lights just as well or better than the stock filament bulb.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
The light is cast at a pretty wide angle. I'd say it lights just as well or better than the stock filament bulb.
from the pic it seems so
well see wen he posts the night pics
Old 05-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Got Projectors?

I'm having trouble right now getting my camera to take a good night shot of it.

Let's just say that last night when I had the domelight on that it was INCREDIBLY bright. Every corner of the car was lit in sharp white. It's such a cool effect. Even when outside, looking through the tint, it's BRIGHT.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:40 AM
Learning English...

Hey Meta, it's a pleasure to read your threads and also others guys like Kingofsorrow.....! I'd definitely buy it, cuz this is how the doom light has to look like.

Get some more pics plz
Old 05-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Meta,

great looking light!!...does this light have the dimming affect as well??
Old 05-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by djbonsu
Meta,

great looking light!!...does this light have the dimming affect as well??
It kinda does...kinda doesn't. It doesn't turn immediately on and off like a LED typically would, but it doesn't fade in and out as slowly as the stock incandescant bulb either. It's like an accelerated dim/fade really.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Learning English...

I tried to purchase the same dome light, but i got an answer - they are not making/selling them anymore...
Seems that the guy(probably owner) started making some kind of drivers for computers or a stuff like this...
Old 12-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Got Projectors?

That sucks. I was about to contact the guy too about a new application.

Perhaps you could see if he's still selling the CC1W driver boards and mount your own Luxeon star?
Old 12-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Learning English...

It would better if you contact him directly, because i did that by a friend of mine who is now in the States for couple of days... And also - my Ensglish $uck$...
Old 12-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Got Projectors?

Eh, I don't really need anything (I've got alternatives) right now but I figured it might help you out if you really wanted one.

BTW - I don't know what you're talking about; your English has always been pretty good.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:51 PM
Learning English...

Eh, I don't really need anything (I've got alternatives) right now but I figured it might help you out if you really wanted one.
You see, i didn't realize that... but first of all let we see what SyCefiro is going to bring for a doom light(leds)...
BTW, what exactly do you mean with that - (I've got alternatives)...? Some kind of other Leds or what...? Thx
Old 12-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Got Projectors?

Oh, I'm just re-doing my license plate lights. I'm going to experiment with some LED modules from superbrightleds.com (when I get them). I was thinking about using the Luxeon stars, but the potential for heat buildup (constantly on when headlights operate) and the high cost drove me away initially - I was going to discuss them with George (I think that's who runs Taskled) - but now that it appears he's out of the game it's a moot point anyway.

Anyhow, I doubt the modules I'm going to use would be bright enough for dome light replacement.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Chassis Freak

Be sure to post a thread in the General Max forum when you do your license plate LEDs with photos and what you did...I'm very interested in doing the same.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:55 AM
Learning English...

Oh, I'm just re-doing my license plate lights. I'm going to experiment with some LED modules from superbrightleds.com (when I get them). I was thinking about using the Luxeon stars, but the potential for heat buildup (constantly on when headlights operate) and the high cost drove me away initially - I was going to discuss them with George (I think that's who runs Taskled) - but now that it appears he's out of the game it's a moot point anyway.
Anyhow, I doubt the modules I'm going to use would be bright enough for dome light replacement.
Wow, let us know how the final product is looking like after you made it...Thx
I found an interesting thread about these led lights with How-to and pictures. It's in Russian language, but someone might help with the translation if needed...
For exapmle - license plate light

Originally Posted by VQuick
Be sure to post a thread in the General Max forum when you do your license plate LEDs with photos and what you did...I'm very interested in doing the same.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:32 AM
Chassis Freak

That's a nice housing but the light output of those normal LEDs is too narrow. I don't like the light pattern on the plate.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by brio_max
Wow, let us know how the final product is looking like after you made it...Thx
I found an interesting thread about these led lights with How-to and pictures. It's in Russian language, but someone might help with the translation if needed...
For exapmle - license plate light

That's pretty cool. I know Metal Maxima did something similar to this a while back.

I don't want to use conventional 5mm or 10mm LEDs though, I want to use something more akin to superflux LEDs. And I'm going to attempt to use a voltage regulator to keep 'em safe.