Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Aftermarket HU install, No sound to speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 07:54 PM

Aftermarket HU install, No sound to speakers

Okay, sorry if this has been covered before. I already searched the audio forums and could not find any info for my car about this issue.

I have a 2K I30t with factory Bose unit. I finally purchased new aftermarket HU to replace my Bose crap. Got a wire harness from Best Buy for a 2K max. wired up the HU properly (I have done this many times to other cars) but I get no sound from the Bose speakers. The HU lights up and functions normally. I can see the tracks playing on the HU but no sound what so ever, what gives. Do my Bose speakers have separate amps that need to turn on and be connected to the new HU? Or do I need to wire from scratch all new speakers? What have you guys with aftermarket units done? Please help. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes, by far, your best bet is to replace all the interior speakers. The only speakers you can replace without having to rewire from scratch is to replace the pillar tweeter.

If you are still using the existing BOSE amplifier, you need buy an AOEM-PAC-NIS2 Pac adapter to allow an external input(i.e. RCAs from rear of HU or an iPod)

This is the reccomended for ease and future customization:
If you are willing to do some work that will pay off in the end, go ahead and bypass the BOSE amplifier, using your aftermarket HU to directly power new aftermarket speakers. (OR even run a 4-channel amplifier from your RCAs) (components are reccomended in the front, because you will lose the pillar tweeter when bypassing BOSE HU.)

yes, this is a major pain, but it will be worth it in the end. I had to do the same thing with the Infinity system in my Diamante. I spent way too much money on that system
Old 09-08-2006, 10:09 PM

yeah i agree, definetly better in the long run.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:31 AM

Thanks for the replies. This really cleared things up. I was afraid I had to do that, but it does seem better in the long run. This is one more reason I hate Bose CRAP! By the way, does anyone know the size of my front and rear speakers? Is there a website that I can find out? Thanks

mydecember1985,

I'm LMAO at your sig. remember, Caring is sharing bro...
Old 09-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Got Projectors?

Actually, if you're running a new HU, but still keeping the bose speakers/amps, you need the ROEM-NIS2. That will give you sound through the speakers.

However, as stated above, if you're going to run aftermarket amps and speakers all together, then you don't need the aforementioned adapter.

The AOEM-NIS2 is for people keeping the stock bose HU but wanting RCA outputs for aftermarket amplifiers.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:15 AM

Sorry. had a long night at Outback. Wasnt thinking.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:04 PM

Okay all. Thanks for your replies. I took the common sense approach and stayed up all night until 3:45am on sat wiring my car for new speakers. I ran all new wires for all four doors through the factory openings and laid all the ground work for my new amp. It was a pain but after hearing my new speakers, I was totally satisfied. Thanks for all your help.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:27 PM

You did that pretty quickly. That'd take me prolly like 3 days, but I guess thats cus Im a tard :

And I'm very glad someone appreciates my weird sense of humor. G/f thinks im an idiot.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:57 AM

Alot of people forget that you can just use the bose amps and speakers, all you have to do is hook up the blue remote turn on wire and you can use your existing bose speakers. It does'nt sound the greatest,but it will play until you get the nerve to rewire your interior. I had a 2k I30 and I put a pioneer avic-n1 in and used my bose system. Sounded great to me! Others may disagree.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Armed and Dangerous

That is true...
Old 09-14-2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mrdz03
Alot of people forget that you can just use the bose amps and speakers, all you have to do is hook up the blue remote turn on wire and you can use your existing bose speakers. It does'nt sound the greatest,but it will play until you get the nerve to rewire your interior. I had a 2k I30 and I put a pioneer avic-n1 in and used my bose system. Sounded great to me! Others may disagree.
I wish I knew that before hand.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by KI30t
I wish I knew that before hand.
It's not the best way to go. You're essentially running an amplified signal into another amplifier...

If your in a pinch a better way to go would be this:

Buy a radio w/front and rear RCA inputs. Buy a set of generic RCA plugs. Cut the plugs off leaving yourself about 3" before the plug. Strip the RCA wires to expose the wires. Get a aftermarket radio harness for your car. Wire the 4 speakers from the harness you bought into the RCA cables you prepared. The speaker wires from the radio go nowhere. Wire up the power/ground/antenna/amp turn on from your radio to the harness. Ground the radio to the car or the brackets that hold the radio. The black wire on the harness you bought is not a ground. Plug your RCA's into your new radio. Put the radio back in and you are done. No BOSE adapter needed.
Then you're essentially sending the low-level signal into the amplifier much like you'd do a whole new aftermarket setup.

I meant to give credit to that but I lost the original thread I found it in. It was in the Audio Forum.

Anyways, I've always spent the $50 or so bucks for the PAC interface I needed to simplify my wiring and simplify my life. Was more than worth it to me.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:18 PM

Can anyone tell me where to run the power wire from under the hood to the interior of a 5th gen Maxima? I will be running 8 gauge wire from the battery to a pair of amps mounted to the back of the rear seats. Running RCA patch cables and new speaker wire is not an issue, been there done that on many other vehicles. That said, I can't seem to find a good spot to run my new power wire. Any suggestions?
Old 03-04-2011, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by skatinnatin
Can anyone tell me where to run the power wire from under the hood to the interior of a 5th gen Maxima? I will be running 8 gauge wire from the battery to a pair of amps mounted to the back of the rear seats. Running RCA patch cables and new speaker wire is not an issue, been there done that on many other vehicles. That said, I can't seem to find a good spot to run my new power wire. Any suggestions?
In my I30, there was a rubber grommet on the drivers side firewall. You can pull that out, and it's a straight shot to the cabin.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mydecember1985
Yes, by far, your best bet is to replace all the interior speakers. The only speakers you can replace without having to rewire from scratch is to replace the pillar tweeter.

If you are still using the existing BOSE amplifier, you need buy an AOEM-PAC-NIS2 Pac adapter to allow an external input(i.e. RCAs from rear of HU or an iPod)

This is the reccomended for ease and future customization:
If you are willing to do some work that will pay off in the end, go ahead and bypass the BOSE amplifier, using your aftermarket HU to directly power new aftermarket speakers. (OR even run a 4-channel amplifier from your RCAs) (components are reccomended in the front, because you will lose the pillar tweeter when bypassing BOSE HU.)

yes, this is a major pain, but it will be worth it in the end. I had to do the same thing with the Infinity system in my Diamante. I spent way too much money on that system
hi I got a harness with the rca to hook into the hu but after I hooked everything up I could hear music but very low even turned all the way up should I get that harness u were talking about AOEM-PAC-NIS2 will that help
Old 03-24-2019, 10:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Please help

I got the dash kit for my 06 maxima and it came with the harness one for power and one for speakers I guess I hooked everything up and I got sound but very low even when I turn it all the way up would thatAOEM-PAC-NIS2 harness make a diffrence or did I do something wrong please I would appreciate any help thanks
Old 03-31-2019, 10:10 AM

The AOEM-PAC-NIS2 adapter is used when you are replacing the Bose radio. Did the car originally have the Bose radio? If the car did not have the Bose radio, using the AOEM-PAC-NIS2 adapter would cause low volume.

Similiarly, if the car did not have the Bose radio, using the RCA connections on the replacement radio will cause low volume.

So back to the original question - Did the car originally have the Bose radio?