Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Is it Worth It.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 08:28 AM

Is it Worth It.....

that is the question. Here is the situation. I am @ 153K on my I30 and I am now having tranny issues. Aside from "clunking" shifts at low RPMs I am now experiencing slips going from 2nd to 3rd. This happens during normal driving after about 30 continuous mins. So, for example, if I'm out driving normally the tranny shifts HARD from 1st to 2nd but is driveable. After 30 mins or so,,,then the slipping begins. If I pull over and park, give it a few mins, I can get it to return to "normal" at least long enough to get me to a stopping point.

So, now my question is....is it really worth it to pursue a tranny rebuild/replacement. Seems like most of the people that rebuild transmissions end up having more issues down the road. So, before I drop $1K+ on this, I just wanted to get people's thoughts.

Oh..and you should add into the equation that the car won't be paid off until Feb 08 ...so trading in could prove to be "difficult" in its current condition. Anyway...let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!
Chad
Old 05-14-2007, 08:38 AM
大陆弟弟

I would see if your car needs the TCM update, as most 00-01s did. Also, if that doesn't help, consider changing the tranny fluid for a temporary fix.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Armed and Dangerous

If you do decide to replace go with a low milage used tranny over a rebuilt one.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by n3985
I would see if your car needs the TCM update, as most 00-01s did. Also, if that doesn't help, consider changing the tranny fluid for a temporary fix.
What is this TCM update? I have an '00 but I am not experiencing any transmission problems yet (knock on wood), what kind of symtoms should I look for?
Old 05-15-2007, 06:36 PM

It was a technical service bulletin, cars below a certain VIN can use a TCM reflash I think.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:59 PM

Do you know how I can find out if my car is covered? I get the a similar feeling when I'm driving up hill or 20mph in the neighborhood.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:42 AM

To find out if you are covered, take your car to the dealer and have them run the VIN.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:33 AM

Mine was similar to the description wiothout the slippng & it just needed the throttle position sensor adjusted. No issues since. 150K miles.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by I30 Boogie
that is the question. Here is the situation. I am @ 153K on my I30 and I am now having tranny issues. Aside from "clunking" shifts at low RPMs I am now experiencing slips going from 2nd to 3rd. This happens during normal driving after about 30 continuous mins. So, for example, if I'm out driving normally the tranny shifts HARD from 1st to 2nd but is driveable. After 30 mins or so,,,then the slipping begins. If I pull over and park, give it a few mins, I can get it to return to "normal" at least long enough to get me to a stopping point.

So, now my question is....is it really worth it to pursue a tranny rebuild/replacement. Seems like most of the people that rebuild transmissions end up having more issues down the road. So, before I drop $1K+ on this, I just wanted to get people's thoughts.

Oh..and you should add into the equation that the car won't be paid off until Feb 08 ...so trading in could prove to be "difficult" in its current condition. Anyway...let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!
Chad
Before going the expense of a tranny rebuild/replacement, I would recommend changing (not flushing) your tranny fluid, leaving enough room to add a quart of Lucas Automatic Transmission additive. I did that on my 1992 Max when it had 2nd-3rd slipping issues at 200K. After adding the Lucas, the slipping completely disappeared and it remained slip-free for another six years and 103K miles.

Basically, you have everything to gain and nothing to lose. Ignore the Lucas detractors here because the auto tranny additive does work, and it has worked not only for me but also for seven other people I know.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by dr-rjp
Basically, you have everything to gain and nothing to lose.
That is not true at all. Since ATF is has detergents in it, sometimes putting in fresh fluid can strip the clutch packs down even more and render the tranny completely inoperable.

Ignore the Lucas detractors here because the auto tranny additive does work, and it has worked not only for me but also for seven other people I know.
They are "detractors" because they have run into problems using Lucas products which I have personally experienced before and being one of those "detractors" I would stay the hell away from Lucas additives.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by i30ds
That is not true at all. Since ATF is has detergents in it, sometimes putting in fresh fluid can strip the clutch packs down even more and render the tranny completely inoperable.
It depends on how long the old fluid has been present doesn't it? I'm going to have a drain and fill done on my 2001 I30 soon with about 70K on it (and no evidence that it's been changed before) and everyone tells me I shouldn't have to worry about damage to the tranny from fresh fluid. I could definately see it doing damage to one with twice those miles though.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:12 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Yeah it does. You'll probably be fine at that milage (even though it should be done every 30K), but the guy with 153K might want to think twice if he has not kept up on it.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:15 PM

Yeah it does. You'll probably be fine at that milage (even though it should be done every 30K), but the guy with 153K might want to think twice if he has not kept up on it.
30K? The recommended maintenance guide says every 60K. I'm sure 30K would be better for it. What really bothers me is that all the dealers in my area only offer a "power flush" which strikes me as a bad idea because it overpressurizes the system. And they all want to charge $200-$250 for it. Is transmission fluid that expensive?

And I'm sure I'll be fine changing it now. The dipstick shows the fluid as clean and the car was gone over top to bottom by Infiniti techs before I bought it.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by MattB85
30K? The recommended maintenance guide says every 60K. I'm sure 30K would be better for it. What really bothers me is that all the dealers in my area only offer a "power flush" which strikes me as a bad idea because it overpressurizes the system. And they all want to charge $200-$250 for it. Is transmission fluid that expensive?

And I'm sure I'll be fine changing it now. The dipstick shows the fluid as clean and the car was gone over top to bottom by Infiniti techs before I bought it.
Flushing definitely will ruin your tranny.

Also, making recommendations to people with tranny issues w/o FIRST asking them if they have ever had their fluid changed is a bit irresponsible. Mea Culpa. I admit that I naturally assumed Boogie's ride had the ATF changed at least once before.

Natural assumption since everyone else here did the same with the exception of Matt who raised the comparable issue of the fluid's age.

The School of Thought has always been that if you have never had your ATF changed in 153K of driving, then don't do it.

However, you still can try draining off enough fluid to accomodate a pint of the Lucas Automatic Transmission additive.

The additive is not a permanent fix for worn bands or clutch plates because only an overhaul can do that. But, it will put off the inevitable for a long time to come, and it will reduce or eliminate the slipping in the process.

This is a big plus if you plan on getting another car at some point as opposed to keeping what you have indefinitely.

If the idea of putting an "additive" in your car somehow bothers you, keep in mind that every type of fluid in your car had some kind of additive in it.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:33 PM

Flushing definitely will ruin your tranny.

Also, making recommendations to people with tranny issues w/o FIRST asking them if they have ever had their fluid changed is a bit irresponsible. Mea Culpa. I admit that I naturally assumed Boogie's ride had the ATF changed at least once before.

Natural assumption since everyone else here did the same with the exception of Matt who raised the comparable issue of the fluid's age.

The School of Thought has always been that if you have never had your ATF changed in 153K of driving, then don't do it.

However, you still can try draining off enough fluid to accomodate a pint of the Lucas Automatic Transmission additive.

The additive is not a permanent fix for worn bands or clutch plates because only an overhaul can do that. But, it will put off the inevitable for a long time to come, and it will reduce or eliminate the slipping in the process.

This is a big plus if you plan on getting another car at some point as opposed to keeping what you have indefinitely.

If the idea of putting an "additive" in your car somehow bothers you, keep in mind that every type of fluid in your car had some kind of additive in it.
Yeah I'm definately staying away from those power flushes, but there are some flush systems that don't put extra pressure on the system and thus change out almost all the fluid without destroying the transmission. IIRC the BG transmission flush system is one of the ones that doesn't overpressurize the system.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Armed and Dangerous

The problem with tranny flushes is not that it "overpressurizes" the system (an auto tranny opperates off pressurizing the fluid in general). The real problem is that it does not replace the filter.

You can always drain the fluid, drop the pan, clean the magnet, replace the filter, and then refill on your own.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:49 AM

OK guys...sorry I haven't been checking this thread - been really busy w/ other things. But, to clarify, I bought the car w/ 40K on it and I have not changed the tranny fluid during my ownership . So, I am going to try the Lucas additive. If I understand, just drain 1 qt of tranny fluid - enough to fill w/ one qt opf Lucas, right?

This is the same suggestion I got from a friend of mine. He also said that changing out the fluid would in all liklihood ruin the transmission altogether.

I will come back and post what happens...keeping my fingers crossed!

Chad
Old 06-29-2007, 09:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by I30 Boogie
He also said that changing out the fluid would in all liklihood ruin the transmission altogether.
That is bull****, your freind doesn't know what he's talking about. I hate that myth, it's exactly that, a MYTH!!!, dirty old burnt trannsmission fluid past its prime doesn't do a damn thing to 'hold the trannsmission togethor' or stop the plates from slipping in any way. Change the fluid, that is one of the first steps in diagnosing any trannsmission related problem.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:53 AM

I went ahead and had my local dealer flush the transmission today using the BG machine and Nissan OEM transmission fluid. I didn't really expect much of a difference since the car has only 69K on it but it really makes a huge difference...the shifts were smooth before but are now almost imperceptible.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:54 PM

I went ahead and had my local dealer flush the transmission today using the BG machine and Nissan OEM transmission fluid. I didn't really expect much of a difference since the car has only 69K on it but it really makes a huge difference...the shifts were smooth before but are now almost imperceptible.
Would all Infiniti dealers have this same machine?

What did they charge you?
Old 06-29-2007, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by 02SEinStL
Would all Infiniti dealers have this same machine?

What did they charge you?
I don't think all dealers have it, but many do. This site will find you one: http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/index.php.

They charged me about $200 for the service which included 10 quarts of Nissan/Infiniti transmission fluid.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:52 AM

I don't think all dealers have it, but many do. This site will find you one: http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/index.php.

They charged me about $200 for the service which included 10 quarts of Nissan/Infiniti transmission fluid.
Hey thanks for the link - sure enough, they list my Infiniti dealer just 2 miles away
Old 07-02-2007, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
That is bull****, your freind doesn't know what he's talking about. I hate that myth, it's exactly that, a MYTH!!!, dirty old burnt trannsmission fluid past its prime doesn't do a damn thing to 'hold the trannsmission togethor' or stop the plates from slipping in any way. Change the fluid, that is one of the first steps in diagnosing any trannsmission related problem.
But the same "myth" has been previouly posted in this thread. I'm not saying that you're wrong or right...I'm saying that I don't know and now I am getting conflicting advice.

Some say change it - Some say don't and now I am
Old 07-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well all I can say is that it's coming from personal experience of 3 cars with really old fluid having shifting problems go away with a fluid/filter change. One was my cavalier that had slipping bands, after a fluid/filter change it lasted another summer before starting again and another change didn't help obviously. The other was my dads work van around 150k it would have a really hard time going into o/d, changed fluid and filter, problem solved for 80k, started doing it again so I changed fluid & filter again and the problem went away, he has almost 300k and it's fine, though I expect it will need it again soon. The last was a freinds 300zx that had all sorts of problems and was really fuxord.

Changing it may help, it may not, but it's where I would start, and I know it's BS because of the wisdom of my shop teacher, guy was a genuis. Also, what do you have to lose? even if it was to make it worse you're about to drop $1k, oh and you mentioned trading it in would be difficult in it's current condition, every time I've traded a car in they drive it in a circle in the lot and never go over 10-15mph
Old 07-03-2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
oh and you mentioned trading it in would be difficult in it's current condition, every time I've traded a car in they drive it in a circle in the lot and never go over 10-15mph
At the Honda dealer I used to sell cars for we would drive potential tradeins around the block to see if they had transmission issues among other things.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Not a myth at all... I've personally experienced tranny failure after a fuild and filter change on a car with 90K and no prior fluid change.

Before first gear was just slipping and after, first gear was the only gear... a long with the slippage. Coincidence... I think not.

After I drained the new fluid from the tranny out came chunks of the clutch packs... the new fuild stripped them down and was the reason why the tranny could not leave 1st gear.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:03 PM

Not a myth at all... I've personally experienced tranny failure after a fuild and filter change on a car with 90K and no prior fluid change.

Before first gear was just slipping and after, first gear was the only gear... a long with the slippage. Coincidence... I think not.

After I drained the new fluid from the tranny out came chunks of the clutch packs... the new fuild stripped them down and was the reason why the tranny could not leave 1st gear.
This is exactly why I had the fluid changed at 69K with a properly operating transmission so something like that won't happen to me.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:04 PM

My question is... How does everyone feel about Royal Purple Products? I am still having the hard shift from 1st to 2nd. I also have a little leak. I believe it is the rear main seal. Could be completly wrong as I am an idiot... To a point. I have heard good reviews on the Royal Purple products. Havnt eard anything about it in our cars.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Never used it myself... you might want to take this over to the fluids section of the forum.