Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

pre 99 5spd into 01?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 07:58 AM

pre 99 5spd into 01?

Alright, YET ANOTHER 5spd swap thread! yay!
before i get smitten for posting another thread, consider this question.
I did use the search function, and i found out that many 5th gen maximas use 4th gen trannys. Now the pre '99 i30 has VLSD. Since the transmission is different i would need another driver's side axle. Which axle would that be? A 1st gen I30 axle? Would that fit on the 01?
Old 09-15-2008, 08:18 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

I would assume that a 4th gen axle would work as long as its a VLSD axle and your using the VLSD transmission. But again, its just an assumption on my part...

On another note, have you converted the foot e-brake to a hand brake yet?
Old 09-15-2008, 08:51 AM

very true, i did not consider this so far. But as stated in another thread, many overseas cefiros have mt. So what I did, is I shot sycefiro an email. He deals with some OEM cefiro parts, so maybe he could organize a handbrake assbly as well...
Old 09-15-2008, 08:55 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

You might need to swap the striking rod so the shifter stays centered.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:08 AM

I remember researching this issue when I was gonna do a 6 speed swap in my '99 acura TL. Someone did it by swaping over all e brake related parts and the center console from the shifter - back to the armrest from a CL i believe. If we are able to swap JUST the console from the armrest, forward to the shifter from a maxima, that would take care of not having to custom make any consoles... or having to pay an arm and a leg to ship over cefiro parts...the rest will be easy
Old 09-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

strinking rod is in the transmissions and appears to be the same size/length. The bar that goes from the back of the transmission to the shifter rod will probably need the be changed.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:59 PM

so from this list of things,
what is interchangeable between the gens and what is
fifth gen that i need?

Parts Needed:
5spd tranny (try and get the I30 LSD or Canadian Maxima LSD if possible – doubt it)
Both Manual drive shafts (if you have ABS you need specific ones, if you don't have ABS you can use ABS ones)
1 clutch kit (clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing)
2 shifting rods (support rod + control rod) (acquire used w/ all the hardware)
Return spring (connect to the 2 shifting rods (Buy this new, the stiffer the tighter your shifter feels)
1 5spd starter
1 shifter (Acquire used to get nuts and bolts (buy with the shifter rods)
1 shifter console piece (interior)
1 shift consul bracket (Replaces your auto one) (interior) (dealer name plate bolt and transaxle hole cover)
1 brake pedal
1 clutch pedal
1 master cylinder
Hydraulic lines for clutch
1 slave cylinder for clutch
1 extra set of tranny harnesses (might come w/ 5spd tranny)
1 18ga wire and wiretaps
Assorted cotter pin set.
1 Manual Fly wheel
1 Manual motor mount
Tranny Fluid (GL-4 or redline is preferable)
Locking pin and clip for the clutch pedal to the master cylinder (you could bend a nail but I would go to the dealer and pay $4)
2 nuts that fit the threads on the clutch pedal.
1 bolt that bolts in the top of the clutch pedal (the dealer can find it's size for you)
1 bolt that connects the control rod to the tranny (the dealer can find it's size for you)
Old 09-16-2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by McSteve
very true, i did not consider this so far. But as stated in another thread, many overseas cefiros have mt. So what I did, is I shot sycefiro an email. He deals with some OEM cefiro parts, so maybe he could organize a handbrake assbly as well...
Got your email... unfortunately, there are less Manual Transmission for oversea's Cefiro.

SYCEFIRO
Old 09-18-2008, 09:41 AM

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591872

Thats the link to the TL swap I mentioned before. He also did an engine swap at the same time and pretty much rewired the entire car. If we were to do that, we wouldnt have to rewire much, if anything at all for a manual swap. We can follow the same procedures for the 4th gen swap. We just have to relocate the e-brake in addition.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:44 AM

I am currently piecing together my manual swap as well. I got a quote from the dealer for a 01 maxima 5 speed lsd tranny brand new for 2200. I just bought 01 maxima manual ecm from another member and transverse link. Looks like we will need shift linkage and such. Only 2 sensors on the tranny to my knowledge are speed sensor and reverse switch and those can be wired into one of the old auto lines for easy splicing. Oh yea, you will need a new gauge cluster for the speedometer to work unless you use an apexi after market speedometer. Most the parts to be used for the swap will be from 00-01 max vq30. Oh yea by the way, pic up one peice stainless steel clutch line. This will eliminate the hard line hose and rubber hose 2-piece setup. I just got mine in the mail =)

Last edited by NismoCefiro; 09-25-2008 at 02:47 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:07 AM

As for axle, 4g axle in a 5g is a no-go, but if you needed a vlsd 5th gen axle the 'ae maxima came with that.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by McSteve
so from this list of things,
what is interchangeable between the gens and what is
fifth gen that i need?

Parts Needed:
5spd tranny (try and get the I30 LSD or Canadian Maxima LSD if possible – doubt it)
Both Manual drive shafts (if you have ABS you need specific ones, if you don't have ABS you can use ABS ones)
1 clutch kit (clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing)
2 shifting rods (support rod + control rod) (acquire used w/ all the hardware)
Return spring (connect to the 2 shifting rods (Buy this new, the stiffer the tighter your shifter feels)
1 5spd starter
1 shifter (Acquire used to get nuts and bolts (buy with the shifter rods)
1 shifter console piece (interior)
1 shift consul bracket (Replaces your auto one) (interior) (dealer name plate bolt and transaxle hole cover)
1 brake pedal
1 clutch pedal
1 master cylinder
Hydraulic lines for clutch
1 slave cylinder for clutch
1 extra set of tranny harnesses (might come w/ 5spd tranny)
1 18ga wire and wiretaps
Assorted cotter pin set.
1 Manual Fly wheel
1 Manual motor mount
Tranny Fluid (GL-4 or redline is preferable)
Locking pin and clip for the clutch pedal to the master cylinder (you could bend a nail but I would go to the dealer and pay $4)
2 nuts that fit the threads on the clutch pedal.
1 bolt that bolts in the top of the clutch pedal (the dealer can find it's size for you)
1 bolt that connects the control rod to the tranny (the dealer can find it's size for you)
Things I'm sure of:
the 2 shifting rods.
driverside axle.

(Ignore 5-speed starter, and 5-speed passenger axle, they don't exist, your existing one will do)

As for pedals, I don't know. Shifter console trim peice is a no brainer though, that is a no-go from 4g to 5g.

As for what would be different from a 00/01 I30 to 5th gen, you would want/need alot of stuff from a maxima, unless you wanted to have no trim around the shifter or no e-brake.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
As for what would be different from a 00/01 I30 to 5th gen, you would want/need alot of stuff from a maxima, unless you wanted to have no trim around the shifter or no e-brake.
If your use to nissan trucks, foot brake isnt so bad. Ive never used my ebrake other than at a stop. You dont need ebrake unless your some ricer in a neighborhood doing 60 on a corner. Ive hit my non-existant clutch but never really use ebrake. My infiniti is my 1st auto out of 4 cars. I cant stand auto!

Also if you need some help, i have full FSM for A33 max and A33 i30 avail as PDF. Makes looking up what you need simpler as well as wiring.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:58 PM

wouldn't the 99 I30 5spd center console fit? it looks like a really close match!

Old 10-15-2008, 02:10 PM

nevermind, in direct comparison not that similar after all.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Learning English...

Looks like you would need some parts from the Euro spec I30

I don't think it's worth it, unless you make a 6M/T swap.
Just a thought.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:44 PM

i don't think you can really swap a 6spd into the 00's. But Euro spec is a good idea. I will be in Germany for a month over winterbreak, and as well next summer for a longer period of time. The whole reason why i am interested in the 5spd swap is that i am saving up to go FI.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:22 PM

Dang, I guess that 6-spd swap is out for me .
Old 10-16-2008, 02:46 PM

U can get a 6th speed in a 5th gen however you will need to use all linkages from 5.5. Since 5th gen uses traditional shiftlinkage rods and 5.5 uses cables for linkage. Stick with 4th or 5th gen tranny. I got most my parts. Problem I currently face is I want to do the swap my self, however I need the ECM programmed for my key. Once the ecm is switched out, unless u have consult or nvis programmer, you wont start. I may have to go to my friend who works at infiniti to do the bulk of the swap so we can get the car started. The biggest roadblock is not actual parts but this stage. If you are getting a dealer to swap this, you should have no probs.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:28 PM

don't you know anyone with a trailer or you could probably tow your car to their parking lot?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:31 PM

also:
will it not start with your auto ECU in? I thought it will start, but you will have a CEL. So you could just drive it to the dealer and have them swap your ECU.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:55 AM

Dunno anyone with a trailer, thought about the tow but $75 +. The SECU has a sensor around key hole and is plugged directly to SECU then to ECM. ECM will not even let the car fire and starter wont even turn if code is not recognized in the key. Anti theft device. I have a compustar alarm with a transponder. I wonder if I can modify the transponder to run... Ill see if my friend at infiniti can plug in my manual ecm and program it for the key then unplug it so when im ready to swap i dont have this issue. Ill update ya when i figure it out. Also the whole truck thing, ha i retract my statement and will say for 104 at courtesy nissan, you get the whole ebrake assemly with all necessary hardware. I see minor dremel job here.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:41 PM

I'm confused, what ebrake essambly? The EU spec?
And did you think about just letting the auto ECU inplace to see if it starts up with a CEL?
Old 10-30-2008, 02:24 PM

The foot brake bracket is in place of the clutch pedal. You will need to remove the bracket. You can get ebrake assembly from a maxima from courtesy parts for 104. This include short cable, ebrake lever and hard ware to plug up where the cables meet right under the chassis. Everything is bolt on except for trim piece. From the looks, not too much dremel usage. As for the ECM, I have thought about that. Im not sure how the ECM is diff from auto to manual, but i imagine idle may or may not be a problem etc. My CEL is on right now regardless as my rear O2s dont like me, haha.