Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

did any of the i30/35 come with a 5sp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 03:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

did any of the i30/35 come with a 5sp?

???did any of the i30 or i35 come with a 5 or 6 speed tranny? i might be lookign for a new car soon and this may put infiniti on my list.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:29 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

From 2000 to 2004, all i30/i35 were autos.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

96-99 had an optional 5MT, with the I30t having a VLSD 5MT.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:51 PM

With enough money, a 5spd swap would be possible.

Definately not the best way to spend a few grand, but you'd be somewhat cool
Old 11-26-2008, 01:52 PM

ahahah..nah..not really looking to swap..nice idea though. thanks guys. i checked out some on autotrader. cost less than a max.. its funny. too bad they are all autos. why did infinti use 4spd autos..that was not a good choice.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:52 PM

i had a 91 legend 5 spd for a few years..loved that car.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:29 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Max Noob
ahahah..nah..not really looking to swap..nice idea though. thanks guys. i checked out some on autotrader. cost less than a max.. its funny. too bad they are all autos. why did infinti use 4spd autos..that was not a good choice.
why was it not a good choice?
it matched up with all of it's competition and more importantly, it worked!
Old 11-26-2008, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
why was it not a good choice?
it matched up with all of it's competition and more importantly, it worked!
+1 to that. Infiniti is the luxory division of nissan... If you want a standard tranny, get a maxima with one.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:18 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by essential1
+1 to that. Infiniti is the luxory division of nissan... If you want a standard tranny, get a maxima with one.
the I30 was available with a stick as well.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

If you wanted an A32 with an LSD, you bought an I30t...
Old 11-26-2008, 07:57 PM

The Legend is my favorite car of all time. I'd have one now if I could afford a 3.5 RL Swap (the legend's only REAL flaw was the headgaskets)....

When Iigned up for the site, I must have been drunk because I put my "cars owned" as my screen name. Haha

th 4sp auto is a beast. With VSLD that thing gets to high-gear super quick. Get some 18"+ tires and the performance rivals a 3xx BMW. Drop it, and stabilize the lower body, you have an out performing FWD 3xx BMW
Old 11-26-2008, 10:50 PM

headgasket blew on mine..sad day ....
Old 11-26-2008, 11:37 PM

The 3.5 swap was just done for the 1st time in 06. It's a generally new method for treating the HG problems of the Legend. You cn do a 3.5 swap into a 6spd manual, but it's incredibly difficult....it requires a lot of modification to the transmission housing for everything to line up....when I get my next Legend, I'm not sure if I want to just get an auto so I can do the swap, or maybe hope someone develops a kit for the 6spd

This is turning into a hijacked thread. PM me if you wanna talk Legends
Old 11-27-2008, 12:57 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by AcuraLegend
The Legend is my favorite car of all time. I'd have one now if I could afford a 3.5 RL Swap (the legend's only REAL flaw was the headgaskets)....

When Iigned up for the site, I must have been drunk because I put my "cars owned" as my screen name. Haha

th 4sp auto is a beast. With VSLD that thing gets to high-gear super quick. Get some 18"+ tires and the performance rivals a 3xx BMW. Drop it, and stabilize the lower body, you have an out performing FWD 3xx BMW
a legend is heavy by comparison to the maxima.
yes having a 6 spd would be nice for some, but the issues I've heard complained about over on the legend board make a maxima appear to be a much better choice.

I do know a guy who has a legend currently, has had several others including his track beast that he spun off the road with on his way back up here from some big legend meet up down there.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:08 PM

You must know Alex! Alex is a good friend of mine. I met him at a local meet last year in Austin. He's a great guy, a real enthusiast to the Legend community.

He's already got his next Legend in the wroks. That coupe he had was a MONSTER.

I think the Max is much sportier than the Legend. It's also cheaper to own and maintain. The Legend new was a 40k+ car, it was in the same clas as the LS400, the BMW 5/7 series, and the Mercedees E Class. It was also rated at the top of it's class almost eveery year....

From a driving standpoint, that's why I chose the i35. It drove A LOT like the Legend I was coming from. Not exactly, the maxima/i35 is MUCH sportier, but the accelration and ride quality qas almost identical. I even considered a new RL, but the new RL (1996-2004) was a WORSE car than the Legend. Ironic.

If it weren't for the FWD, the Legend would be the PERFECT luxury car. Just enough sports, plenty of power, TONS of style, just a weak cooling system, and FWD...

Take a Legend body and bolt it to an NSX frame, keep the RWD and beefier v6-you have my perfect car. If I ever get ~200k to **** around with, West Coast Customs here I come!

Last edited by AcuraLegend; 11-27-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:45 PM
mod or sell?

You must know Alex! Alex is a good friend of mine. I met him at a local meet last year in Austin. He's a great guy, a real enthusiast to the Legend community.

He's already got his next Legend in the wroks. That coupe he had was a MONSTER.

I think the Max is much sportier than the Legend. It's also cheaper to own and maintain. The Legend new was a 40k+ car, it was in the same clas as the LS400, the BMW 5/7 series, and the Mercedees E Class. It was also rated at the top of it's class almost eveery year....

From a driving standpoint, that's why I chose the i35. It drove A LOT like the Legend I was coming from. Not exactly, the maxima/i35 is MUCH sportier, but the accelration and ride quality qas almost identical. I even considered a new RL, but the new RL (1996-2004) was a WORSE car than the Legend. Ironic.

If it weren't for the FWD, the Legend would be the PERFECT luxury car. Just enough sports, plenty of power, TONS of style, just a weak cooling system, and FWD...

Take a Legend body and bolt it to an NSX frame, keep the RWD and beefier v6-you have my perfect car. If I ever get ~200k to **** around with, West Coast Customs here I come!
yes I know alex. I haven't talked to him in a little while. the last batch of stuff he needed was at a time I couldn't grab it unfortunately.
I actually met him through a friend of his that got screwed when he bought a VE5 I had previously.
Goofball friend junked that car while alex was away and that bothered alex because it was finally a good runner and I had the windows the car needed in my garage all ready to go.

if you watch the threads he posts on latest projects over there, my comments are usually there somewhere. I use a similar screen name there too.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:35 PM

I dont spend a lot of time in the peformance section, but I might see you in the 2nd gen forum sometime!

/HIJACK
Old 11-27-2008, 07:05 PM

From 2000 to 2004, all i30/i35 were autos.
Originally Posted by phenryiv1
If you wanted an A32 with an LSD, you bought an I30t...
the I30 was available with a stick as well.
Show me where i said A32... I clearly stated 2000-2004 which = A33.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:13 PM

a legend is heavy by comparison to the maxima.
+1...going between a G2 Legend and my wife's old A32, you could DEFINITELY feel the difference in weight...with 190hp in the A32 just felt so much peppier than the 200 in the G2...but damn that Legend sedan back seat was HUGE...you could probably fit a whole A32 back there

The A33 I35 feels heavier, but the 255 seems to more than make up for that...

My parents have both owned G1 and G2Legends and my sister now has a G2 sedan and both parents are now in TLs (and of course I still have my G1) and so its always been a toss up for me...but only between A32/A33 Infinitis and Legends...the Maxima (in my head at least) just seemed to be below the "Legends and I's" if only by name-association...you tell a layman that you own a Maxima and its often no big thing...you tell them you own an Infiniti and you'll often get "ohh nice..." sight unseen....assuming they arent aware of the whole shared platform thing hahaha...
Old 11-28-2008, 04:06 PM

sam knows his ****! He's totally right

He bought his wife an a33 after the a32 got slammed.

I think you also recently got another g2 sedan, didn't you bro?

Of course the g1 is his baby. I never was attracted to the g1's except for the 1990 coupe, but to each his own.

The Legend is a boat. It weighs close to 5,000lbs. The coupe is actually heavier! (I think)

I agree with Sam: Nissan (Infiniti) and Honda (Acura). Thing with Acura is, they alienated too many consumers (me included) when they droppecd the Legend. the 1st gen Tl's and 1st Gen RL's were "ok" but NOTHING compared to the days of: Integra, Vigor, Legend

The new RL with the alleged v8 might change that, and the new TL is just too bland for my liking. I LOVE the way the TSX drives, it's the most "fun" sedan I've ever driven. i35 included.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Max Noob
???did any of the i30 or i35 come with a 5 or 6 speed tranny? i might be lookign for a new car soon and this may put infiniti on my list.

95-99 yrs at a point
Old 11-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Show me where i said A32... I clearly stated 2000-2004 which = A33.
I never said that you did specify A32 or 33 you f@ggot. I was responding to the OP, who just asked if an I30/35 had a 5/6 MT. If I had wanted to respond to your post, I would have qouted you, like I did now...so STFU.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:44 PM

Good idea to start sh!+ with a mod.

lulz
Old 11-29-2008, 07:41 AM

I never said that you did specify A32 or 33 you f@ggot. I was responding to the OP, who just asked if an I30/35 had a 5/6 MT. If I had wanted to respond to your post, I would have qouted you, like I did now...so STFU.
Thats funny, a mod calling calling people names when he was clearly wrong. If anyone else were to do that, they would be banned in a second. I wasnt trying to start anything with you or anyone else.

You In fact did quote me.

http://forums.maxima.org/6725573-post10.html

I am not the OP.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:42 AM

The new RL with the alleged v8 might change that, and the new TL is just too bland for my liking. I LOVE the way the TSX drives, it's the most "fun" sedan I've ever driven. i35 included.

Yeah I got a blk/blk 91 sedan beater for the wife to drive around in until we could decide on a permanent replacement car...oddly enough we sill came back to the I

I read an article this past week that the V8 may not even reach production until the generation AFTER next...so like 2015...

And +1 Acura has sure lost their way over the last decade and a half....and those new fugly nose arent helping one bit...

Btw...6 speed I35 would be awesome...

Never driven a manual I but I have driven a manual Max from 2nd-5th generations and its definitely got my vote over the auto in any generation of Maxima...
Old 11-29-2008, 12:03 PM

Yeah I heard that too. It's hard to believe that Acura is doing so wel with such bonehead decisions. Goes to show you how dumbz0r the American car consumer is

So your wife has a g2 AND an a33? It better be BJ-day everyday. lol. Was that out of line? I didn't mean it do be
Old 11-29-2008, 01:39 PM

i found the legend over priced compared to the I30s, which if im not mistaken the I30 had a longer features list, but aside from that the legend was the hands down better looking car, i like them.

and only 96-99 I30s came with the MT option
Old 11-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Thats funny, a mod calling calling people names when he was clearly wrong. If anyone else were to do that, they would be banned in a second. I wasnt trying to start anything with you or anyone else.

You In fact did quote me.

http://forums.maxima.org/6725573-post10.html

I am not the OP.
I called you a name because you came in here trying to swing your d!ck around like you were telling us something new and ground-breaking, when in reality you were only half-right at best. I quoted you only ADD TO what you had said. You then quoted ME as if I was trying to put words in your mouth, when all that I was doing was addin the info that you clearly lacked. You tried to flex up on what I had said as if I was wrong. Yet it was you who were too ignorant to actually just answer the OP's question and move on. I get tired of jonny-come-lately pr!cks coming in here and trying to act like you knwo what he F is going on around here, and then people wonder why the old guys with all of the knowledge stop posting or move on. Well, people like you are the answer.

In other words, you did not know the full answer to the OP's question so you posted what little elementary information that you had. Your first post was true- A33 I30s were all auto. My post- right after yours- gave the other information necesary for the OP to have all of the info that he needed. After that, you should have just kept your mouth shut. But your assanine comment about buying a Maxima if you want a manual was just plain stupid. You act as if the info that you posted was all that the OP needed to know, but my posts were far more informative, and at least one flat-out corrected your stupidity.

You posted that people waning a manual should buy a Maxima, but if the buyer wanted a factory LSD prior to the 2001 AE Maxima, the 96-99 I30t with a VLSD was the only way to go- and for that reason, some people (including myself) bought an A32 I30t 5MT. You conveniently left that off- probably because you did not know that. Hence, what you posted was only half of the truth. On top of the LSD, the I30t offered a number of improvements or enhancements over the maxima, so again, your blanket statement is just ignorant.

Thanks for playing.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:48 PM
mod or sell?

Of course the g1 is his baby. I never was attracted to the g1's except for the 1990 coupe, but to each his own.
what was different about the 90 vs the earlier ones?
I had an 87 years ago, wasn't bad bit the trans was piece of crap.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:33 PM

The 1990 coupe borrowed a lot of the "lines" that came out in the g2 just the next year:

Bad pic, but it's all i could find quickly.

The tranys is the g1's were the weak point. The HG's in the g2's were the weak point.

There's a guy @ a-l.com putting an NSX engin into a g1. The NSX won't fit into a g2 engine bay (go figure, 2.7L v6 [g1] vs. 3.2LV6[g2] and the g1 has a bigger engine bay. The g2 engine is also traverse mounted)
Old 11-29-2008, 08:35 PM

The 90 Coupe was pretty much the same as previous coupes but it had some super slick wood grain, clear rear turn signals, and a revised ecu and tcu...

The G1 autos are definitely weak, but the manual trannies can go on and on almost indefinitely....same story with the engines...the c25 and c27s can sure take a LOT of abuse!
Old 11-29-2008, 10:27 PM

I called you a name because you came in here trying to swing your d!ck around like you were telling us something new and ground-breaking, when in reality you were only half-right at best. I quoted you only ADD TO what you had said. You then quoted ME as if I was trying to put words in your mouth, when all that I was doing was addin the info that you clearly lacked. You tried to flex up on what I had said as if I was wrong. Yet it was you who were too ignorant to actually just answer the OP's question and move on. I get tired of jonny-come-lately pr!cks coming in here and trying to act like you knwo what he F is going on around here, and then people wonder why the old guys with all of the knowledge stop posting or move on. Well, people like you are the answer.

In other words, you did not know the full answer to the OP's question so you posted what little elementary information that you had. Your first post was true- A33 I30s were all auto. My post- right after yours- gave the other information necesary for the OP to have all of the info that he needed. After that, you should have just kept your mouth shut. But your assanine comment about buying a Maxima if you want a manual was just plain stupid. You act as if the info that you posted was all that the OP needed to know, but my posts were far more informative, and at least one flat-out corrected your stupidity.

You posted that people waning a manual should buy a Maxima, but if the buyer wanted a factory LSD prior to the 2001 AE Maxima, the 96-99 I30t with a VLSD was the only way to go- and for that reason, some people (including myself) bought an A32 I30t 5MT. You conveniently left that off- probably because you did not know that. Hence, what you posted was only half of the truth. On top of the LSD, the I30t offered a number of improvements or enhancements over the maxima, so again, your blanket statement is just ignorant.

Thanks for playing.
I wasnt trying to swing my **** around. And yes I know what the A32 I30 offered over the maxima. I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. This is an internet message board... I admit to being mislead by your post and thinking that your were trying to prove me wrong. Didnt know you were trying to add on to this post. Thats all I have to say about that situation.

I'm not pointing this towards anyone, but dont assume that because someone doesnt have alot of posts on the org they dont know there stuff. There is tons of knowlege out there about the A32, A33, and A34 chassis that is not and will probably never be on this forum. There are multiple local maximas that have unique setups never even mentioned before on the org. They wont show stuff on here because of the attitude most people tend to give off on here.

Time to squash this off topic crap...

The answer has been given and this topic has been discussed countless times.

A32 I30s had the option of either a 5 speed vlsd manual or a 4 speed auto
A33 I30/I35 were only equipped with the auto
Old 11-30-2008, 07:50 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Sam o nela
The 90 Coupe was pretty much the same as previous coupes but it had some super slick wood grain, clear rear turn signals, and a revised ecu and tcu...

The G1 autos are definitely weak, but the manual trannies can go on and on almost indefinitely....same story with the engines...the c25 and c27s can sure take a LOT of abuse!
yeah, I had the auto and it was a pile. I sold the car for $600 to a guy I know and his wife beat the crap out of it. some people have no respect for their cars.

I didn't see any external differences between 90 and earlier. the C27 wasn't a bad motor, it enjoyed spinning.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Thanks to a random post (since deleted) reminding me that this thread is still open...

...it is now closed.