Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Buying Tires, a few questions. Please Look!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 02:37 PM

Buying Tires, a few questions. Please Look!

I know there are a couple threads in regards to tires, but nothing answering my questions. And some of the threads are years old, so they may not apply to today. First question is, the manufacturer recommends 215/55/17. Right now, there are 225/50/17 on there from the previous owner. When it comes to the tires I am looking at (Goodyear Eagle GT), the 215/55 come with a 440 treadwear rating and 50k warranty. The 225/50 come with a 400 treadwear rating and no mileage warranty. So, should I stick with the 225/50 or will 215/55 still look/perform how I need it to? I live in Wisconsin, so I will be dealing with snow/ice/rain. During the spring/summer, I do drive spirited, and like to put my baby to the test from time to time, so I would like for this tire to last while also providing performance. The current tires are Falken Ziex 912. Anyone with any input or personal experience between the two tires sizes? What about 235/45? Or is that pushing it too much for the snow? All the tires are priced within 5 bucks of each other, so that's not a concern
Old 11-01-2012, 07:42 PM

I've learned the mileage warranty's are pretty much useless. One time on my BMW I bought 4 new tires. One of the tires was wearing much much faster than the others. It was wearing evenly just way faster. After 6 months, about 12K miles it was to 30% tread left, the others were about 70%. Manufacturer still refused to honor warranty even though I had receipts for alignment, balancing, rotations etc.

Another time recently on my Xterra, one of the tire started flaking at the sidewall. Tire was 3 months old. Manufacturer said tough, it's just cosmetic.

That being said I would not let a warranty be my deciding factor. Id rather buy the roadhazzard the installer offers. Here in Texas @ Discount Tire, if you buy the roadhazzard and have any problems it is pretty much no questions asked.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:17 AM

Ok, well my main concerns were about the tire size on my I35. I see this forum isn't as active as it once was, and that's a shame. I'll try to find my information elsewhere.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:20 PM

Manufacturers always seem to have an excuse for not honoring their warranties, so I don't really worry about them. If you buy a cheap tire, don't be too surprised if you have a problem with them. Tires that cost more usually are better performing and last longer.

If you still have questions, try searching through Maxima.org's tire and wheel forum,
http://forums.maxima.org/tires-wheels-53/

As for the sizes, try to get the manufacturer's size. Any other size creates a speedometer inaccuracy. The ones on your car are smaller than the factory size. When the speedo indicates 65 mph, you are actually going 63.88.

There are links in the stickies for info like this. This is one of them:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos
Old 11-07-2012, 04:35 PM

couple of notes and a suggestion

The Tire Rack website will list the # of revolutions / mile or the circumfurance of the tires on their site. You can see if the 50 series matches the 55 series. Being 2-5% off probably won't be noticeable...

I have a couple of tire experiences that have gone well recently, with mileage and warranty:

- had a truck with Michelin LTX tires on it for 5 years, and 32 K miles ( it is a van we use for trips only). The van failed inspection due to sidewall cracking. Michelin warranties tires for 6 years due to workmanship. Tire depth was 65% of new and they gave me 65% credit on a new set of tires after all that time.

- I'm older and don't hot rod around much, but do drive 150 miles a day, mostly between 70 and 80 mph. I've had good luck with Kumho EXSTA Platinums. Got 70K miles out of the last set. They are softer and will not corner like a Bridgestone that came with the car, but ride much better.

Good luck,
Chuck
Old 11-08-2012, 01:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You need to look at the speed ratings on the tire as well as the load ratings. I would say the 225/50 are more sport focused where the 215/55 is more luxury.

By sport I mean more meet in the road and lower profile, which equals to more noise and harder ride.

Luxury, quietness and softer. All things being the same it's a small difference so the difference is minimal. I have 225/50 on mine because its an i30 t for touring and I bought snow tires before that where one or two sizes thinner and it felt a little more robbery on the road but that was with winter tires, but I would say there was a small difference that was notable but not a day and night.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:06 AM

I went with the 225/50/17 Goodyear Eagle GTs. Got $50 off for ordering off of Sears website, and an additional $80 mail-in rebate, so they came out to roughly $150 a tire installed and balanced. 400 treadwear rating, so hopefully they last awhile. They are wide and meaty, which I like. Grips and corners the road pretty good, considering my other tires were bald. No excess road noise or vibrations yet, so hopefully I made a good choice. Thanks for your input guys, appreciate it