Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

LED Tails not working?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:38 AM

LED Tails not working?

I have aftermarket LED tails on my 01 and I've had them I'd say for atleast 5 years and have loved them. Never had any problems until now. Parking lights are off....all other lights on my car work perfectly fine, including the brake lights which is weird because the run off the same LED's just get brighter? I disconnected the connections, but thing is there's no bulb to replace except for the turn signal bulb. The LEDs section is hardwired in, and messing with the connection did absolutely nothing.

Did these just burn out because they're old or what? Any ideas would be much appreciated as I try not to drive at night now, which makes things difficult when it gets dark at 430, otherwise I will need to buy a new set ASAP.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:30 AM

5 year old LED technology is not necessarily the same as current LED technology. Automotive LED applications 5 years ago tended to be fairly bulky and cheap, especially aftermarket.

If the brake portion works but the tail portion does not, I'd visually check all the components (specifically resistors and capacitors) for signs of failure (burned components have a charred appearance).

There are likely two different circuits to power the LEDs...and the circuit that's attached to the parking lights has failed, but the part that attaches to the brake lights has not. Thee should be some ICs visible...look near there on that visual inspection I mentioned earlier.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:52 AM

First off, I'd like to thank you for the detailed info and speedy response.

Now with that being said, I'm not very good with electrical work other than household stuff so I opted to buy new LED tail lights altogether for $100. I bought the Eagle Eye brand as I am very pleased with their headlights and foglights. However, the LED tails are NOT plug & play!! They fit, the turn signal bulb fits, but the LED circuit connection does not fit the stock harness. My old tails did so I even tried to detach it from them and use, but t hat didn't work either.

I desperately need my car for tomorrow night and I have no idea what the hell to do. I've waited over a week over Christmas to get these and now I'm screwed both ways...FML
Old 12-28-2012, 12:00 PM

sorry to hear that, man.

I don't have experience with LED tails...but you need to figure out which wire is the power and which is the ground.

Do you have any friends who are good with electronics that can help in a pinch?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Max Mutes
First off, I'd like to thank you for the detailed info and speedy response.

Now with that being said, I'm not very good with electrical work other than household stuff so I opted to buy new LED tail lights altogether for $100. I bought the Eagle Eye brand as I am very pleased with their headlights and foglights. However, the LED tails are NOT plug & play!! They fit, the turn signal bulb fits, but the LED circuit connection does not fit the stock harness. My old tails did so I even tried to detach it from them and use, but t hat didn't work either.

I desperately need my car for tomorrow night and I have no idea what the hell to do. I've waited over a week over Christmas to get these and now I'm screwed both ways...FML
it connects to the bulb sockets for the brake lights. not the factory harness.