Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

air bag light

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:24 AM

air bag light

I replaced my two front air bags and the air bag module on my 99 Infiniti i30t
The car I removed them from was from a 98 i30t.

At first the light was flashing kinda fast.
Then I went into diagnostic mode.
From the code it seems I got was for the driver side, side air bag.
I checked the connections which were fine.
Then the light was flashing slow (which meant that the problem was fixed and needs to be cleared).
Which I did the door switch procedure again.
And it went away.

Then today after about 2 hours of driving the airbag light was flashing kinda fast again. Did diagnosis mode again and now its giving me a code for the passenger side, side airbag.

I would like to also add that there's a small gray wire that went onto one of the screws that held down the airbag computer there's three torx screws and one ten millimeter screw were that gray wire goes. Well that screw broke. And I moved the wire to one of the torx screws and also made another wire and ground that one for better connection.

Now...when it comes down to replacing the airbag computer does it have to be the same exact year or numbers gotta match or is it just a fluke that maybe there's a connection issue with my car?

And advice is appreciated
Old 05-01-2014, 01:42 AM

There was an issue with either the 98 or 99 Maxima where the wire that came up from the floor to plug into the passenger side air bag was too short. When it was plugged in, it was stretched tight and the tension would eventually cause the connection to go bad.

As to the compatibility, I don't know. The Infiniti part numbers are different for the 98 and 99. This includes the side sensors as well as the main sensor under the console. I wonder if you might need to change the side sensors to match the main sensor under the console.

The sensor part numbers for the Maxima are the same as for the Infiniti, so if you look for parts, this gives you more donor cars.

Note - I re-read what I typed and I realized I used the word sensor where you used the word computer. Hope I didn't confuse you.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:21 PM

Thank you for the response.
I removed them from a 98 i30t. That's as close as I got to it being similar to my car, lol.
So I figured out the problem.

When people google or search how to reset the air bag light people are suggesting to do the door button procedure.

Only that does is put the system in diagnostic mode. But what they're not telling You is when you put it in diagnostic mode you leave it there drive for a few and park the car leave it off for a few seconds. Then start the car back up. If the problem is gone the light will then flash on and off slow. Then you do the door button procedure then the light will clear out.

My issue was my srs computer seen the side air bag was different than from what it was connected to.
Because the code for the driver side , side air bag came up.
Did the procedure.
It went away then the code for passenger side , side air bag came up. Did the procedure and it went away.

Again thanks for the advice