Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Best I35 replacement Starter

Old 04-20-2018, 07:23 PM

Best I35 replacement Starter

Folks, would you please suggest the reliable starter for replacement on I35. I don't want to buy a dealer starter but would like to consider reputable OEM replacement. I have an occasional cranking issue. I have replaced the ignition switch and relay, but after 2 months once in a while the car clicks and does not start. It happens every other 5 starts, so I am thinking it is a starter.
Would appreciate your input. Thank you
Old 04-21-2018, 09:09 AM

Replacement starter are a crap shoot. There is no guaranteed to be good starter (or alternator) out there. You have the re-built starters and the brand new starters to choose from. Neither one is better than the other.

The starters and alternators from the dealer are rebuilt units, the letter R on the end of the part number indicates that. When it comes to rebuilt units, it all depends on the company that did the rebuilding. A few are good, most are not. What you get from your local auto parts store will be the same as anywhere else. Most will work out of the box, some won't. Some will still be working a year later, some won't.

The new manufactured starters are pretty much like the rebuilt ones. They are made in China and are cheap garbage.

It is depressing. Just get a good guarantee and hope it works. I would suggest that you buy it at a local store rather than order it on line. The reason being is that if it fails, you can go to the store for the replacement instead of waiting several days for shipping.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Replacement starter are a crap shoot. There is no guaranteed to be good starter (or alternator) out there. You have the re-built starters and the brand new starters to choose from. Neither one is better than the other.

The starters and alternators from the dealer are rebuilt units, the letter R on the end of the part number indicates that. When it comes to rebuilt units, it all depends on the company that did the rebuilding. A few are good, most are not. What you get from your local auto parts store will be the same as anywhere else. Most will work out of the box, some won't. Some will still be working a year later, some won't.

The new manufactured starters are pretty much like the rebuilt ones. They are made in China and are cheap garbage.

It is depressing. Just get a good guarantee and hope it works. I would suggest that you buy it at a local store rather than order it on line. The reason being is that if it fails, you can go to the store for the replacement instead of waiting several days for shipping.
That is what I was planning to do, so I called Autozone this morning. All manufacturers that I never heard about, no Bosch, or Mitsubishi, or AC Delco-old reputable names for electrical after market components. It is really scary what to buy???
Old 04-22-2018, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by osetleo
That is what I was planning to do, so I called Autozone this morning. All manufacturers that I never heard about, no Bosch, or Mitsubishi, or AC Delco-old reputable names for electrical after market components. It is really scary what to buy???
Thank you, Dennis for sharing your frustration
Old 04-22-2018, 11:33 PM

Your best bet is to find a local alternator/starter shop that does rebuilds and have them rebuild your starter. Of course this depends on that shop doing a quality rebuild, so check reviews if you can.