Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

My I-35 rides rough and bounces the wrong way

Old 10-30-2018, 01:01 PM
  #1  
Newbie - Just Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 8
My I-35 rides rough and bounces the wrong way

I am new to nissan/infiniti. I notice when I drive over damaged roads or a larger than normal bump, it feels like my wind shield is about to crack, also at freeeway speeds, my car bounces from the right front end to the left rear when the freeway starts changing elevation. Could this be due to the shocks? or does it need a new alignment?
Shawn33 is offline  
Old 11-02-2018, 04:32 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 10,377
I would definitely start with having the struts & shocks checked. Also check the front sway bar for broken end links.
DennisMik is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 08:10 PM
  #3  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 132
Shawn mine does the exact same thing at the moment, can't wait to figure out what the issue is.
The whole story is I had a broken motor mount, which was causing a "shudder" on acceleration, but the car rode smooth over bumps, undulations etc.
Well I got the motor mount fixed and all of a sudden this thing rides exactly like what you're describing, every bump or undulation I go over feels like my teeth are about to rattle out. It's crazy, imagine riding a Radio Flyer wagon over a washboard road. That's what it feels like, plus the "warble" from side to side also like you're describing.
Please share any findings you have regarding this issue!! I will do the same.
sb001 is offline  
Old 11-10-2018, 10:40 AM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 162
Originally Posted by Shawn33 View Post
I am new to nissan/infiniti. I notice when I drive over damaged roads or a larger than normal bump, it feels like my wind shield is about to crack, also at freeeway speeds, my car bounces from the right front end to the left rear when the freeway starts changing elevation. Could this be due to the shocks? or does it need a new alignment?
What is the mileage? If its well over 100k.... Its time for suspension parts to be replaced.
Nmax5150 is offline  
Old 11-10-2018, 07:06 PM
  #5  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by Nmax5150 View Post
What is the mileage? If its well over 100k.... Its time for suspension parts to be replaced.
I would not necessarily agree with a blanket statement like that. Whether or not suspension parts need to be replaced has to do with WAY more than just mileage on the car. Driving style, typical vehicle load, type of surface you regularly drive on, etc. 150,000 miles of one-passenger driving over smooth surface won't necessarily wear out anything.
That said, I'm having the same issues as the OP. I finally jacked up my car this afternoon and took a look underneath. Considering the way my car was jackhammering over bumps it was a huge surprise to me that only the struts look to be shot- control arm bushings, sway bar linkages, tie rods, CV axles, all appear to be in extremely good condition.

Last edited by sb001; 11-10-2018 at 07:13 PM.
sb001 is offline  
Old 11-11-2018, 05:44 AM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 162
Originally Posted by sb001 View Post
I would not necessarily agree with a blanket statement like that. Whether or not suspension parts need to be replaced has to do with WAY more than just mileage on the car. Driving style, typical vehicle load, type of surface you regularly drive on, etc. 150,000 miles of one-passenger driving over smooth surface won't necessarily wear out anything.
That said, I'm having the same issues as the OP. I finally jacked up my car this afternoon and took a look underneath. Considering the way my car was jackhammering over bumps it was a huge surprise to me that only the struts look to be shot- control arm bushings, sway bar linkages, tie rods, CV axles, all appear to be in extremely good condition.
I worked on these cars for 10 years.. A car with 150k will most certainly need to have suspension parts replaced... I made a ton of money on these cars..lol
Nmax5150 is offline  
Old 11-11-2018, 05:04 PM
  #7  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by Nmax5150 View Post
I worked on these cars for 10 years.. A car with 150k will most certainly need to have suspension parts replaced... I made a ton of money on these cars..lol
OK- which parts are guaranteed to need replacement at 150k miles?
sb001 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
jasonaaronfox
4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
11
08-12-2010 09:04 AM
charheep
5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
2
06-10-2004 01:45 PM
wariow
4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
8
01-14-2004 09:36 PM
MaxMA
4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
7
04-11-2001 10:28 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My I-35 rides rough and bounces the wrong way


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.