Maximas for Sale / Wanted Have a Maxima that you want to sell? Looking for a Maxima? Let the world know about it. Be sure to include your location in the description!

1997 SE 5spd, 150k miles, a lot of recent maintenance/modifications

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 07:22 AM
KaZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

SOLD - 1997 SE 5spd, 150k miles, a lot of recent maintenance/modifications

SOLD to paemt6220

Just purchased a new Nissan (splurged and bought an '03 350Z Track Model) and I've now got three Nissans, so this one needs to go... I really hate to sell it, as I JUST finished doing a LOT of work to it, but seems to be the way things goes as of late.

1997 Nissan Maxima SE
5spd Manual Transmission
Fully Loaded - Leather, Bose, Auto Climate, Heated Seats, ABS, Power Front Seats, Sunroof, Mudflaps, etc... its all there!
150,XXX miles (just rolled the other day)

Recent Maintenance Modifications (all performed at ~142k miles)

Gen5 Nissan OEM Clutch
RAxles drive axles
Mobil1 Synthetic Transmission Fluid
Cosmo Short Throw Shifter
Anniversary Edition Shift ****
Cosmo Racing Intake (Annodized Red)
Motorstorm Underdrive Pulley & New Belts
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Nissan OEM Coolant w/ Water Wetter and Distilled Water (ran perfectly cool running all the way to Redline for 3 20 minute sessions while out at MSR in Texas back in late May!)
KYB AGX Shocks
H&R Lowering Springs
KYB Shock Boots and Bump Stops (Front & Rear)
Energy Suspension Lower Control Arm Bushings
Energy Suspension Front Sway Bar Bushings
OEM Lower Control Arms
OEM Sway Bar End Links
BlehmCo Stage II Lower Tie Bar
Cattman/Progress Rear Sway Bar
Custom Enterprise Front Strut Bar (Annondized Red)
Slotted & Dimpled Rotors (Maxima.org Group Buy through AutoMax95)
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Hawk HPS Brake Pads
Speedbleeders
SuperBlue Racing Brake Fluid
OEM Rear Brake Calipers
'06 Nissan Maxima SE 18" Wheels & Tires
Goodyear Eagle RS 245/45/18 Tires
Clear Front Bumper Lights
Custom Enterprise Black Headlights & Black Corner Markers
35% Metallic Window Tint (including Sunroof)
New Windshield Installed in May '06
Optima Red Top Battery

She drives great... she is a TOTAL blast to drive (for what she is). I had her out at the track this summer at the 2006 National Z Convention and I was out there passing a lot of other Zs (NAs, Classics, 350Z, and even a couple Twin Turbos), as she CORNERS great! I even had the infamous Matt Blehm as my instructor who has driven the car and gave it modest praise.

Known Issues:

Paint is less than perfect... she came from Chicago before I owned her and has a number of bumper scrapes and rubs. Car was also recently struck (within the last year) by a RoadRaging fool and the front right fender was bent in a bit and the front bumper was given a few more rub marks/etc. I've pulled the fender and replaced the corner markers and everything is straight, but obviously not perfect. I went ahead and purchased new front and rear bumper covers, a new fender, and a new grill, and they all go with the car, but are still primered, and will need to be painted prior to installation. I also pulled the pinstripe using a pneumatic pinstripe remover kit, only to find out the rear 1/2 of the car had been cleared OVER the pinstripe. =( It looks ok, but I wet sanded a few areas to see if I could blend it a bit better. Paint is fine in most areas, but the car needs a good highspeed polish to smooth out the wetsanding... I don't own a highspeed polisher, and haven't had the time to have someone take a look at it.

She also has a slow transmission leak. When I replaced the axles with the RAxle units, I replaced the transaxle seals... the drivers side proceeded to start leaking slowly... I then had a trusted mechanic replace it, and a week later it started leaking again... =( My mechanic thinks its the axle popping out of place and I'm going to contact RAxle about the unit to see what the options are about getting a replacement.

A/C Compressor clutch seems to be making a little noise... but it works fine, just a touch noisy.

Exhaust has a minor resonance at 2700rpm due to a hole at the back of the resonator... exhaust was on my eventual to do list, but I bought another car.... so it wasn't done.

Otherwise she is PERFECT. Starts right up everytime, no noise (other than the A/C Compressor occasionally). Pulls STRONG, drives awesome! She gets 20+MPG with a lead foot (I think the normal tanks are like 21-23mpg mix driving). I was able to get 27mpg crusing on the highway during my drive from VA to TX when I relocated to Dallas back in late July (Cruising in the mountains at 80mph). Drives straights, rides smooth, and rolls quiet (well, compared to my 350Z's tires she is whisper quiet). Interior is in GREAT shape, leather is soft with only moderate wear and tear on the driver's outer boulster. A/C Blows cold, and all the windows including the sunroof work perfectly and smoothly. I have both keys and keyfobs (remotes).

Asking $4000, FIRM, which is basically below KBB Private Party / Edmunds TMV for her configuration, and doesn't even cover all the parts recently installed! I just dropped almost $4,000 getting her to her current state (try and buy all the parts I listed above, and then find the cheapest way to have them all installed and you'll be SHOCKED to find out how great a deal she is!). If anyone is interested, I can give you a cost breakdown if you like. Just shoot me an email and I'll reply.

She is currently located in Dallas, TX. I just relocated here last month. I'm located just north of Downtown in Uptown, right off of I75. She'd make a GREAT daily driver, or would be an EXCELLENT candidate for a 3.5L swap... that was where I was heading (was planning on dropping in a 3.5L and buying a header back cattman exhaust for it), but I bought my 350Z...

Feel free to email with additional questions or picture requests.

She currently has an aftermarket stereo, but the bose stuff will be going back before I sell it.

Email: kazsmir@gmail.com

Thanks for checking her out!

SOLD to paemt6220
Old 08-21-2006, 10:37 AM
KaZ

A few shots of her at MSR:

Note the ripple in the fender... this is POST RoadRage moron... so I've already pulled the fender and replaced the various lights before I left for TX. So this is basically how she looks now... minus the blue tape obviously! =)

Old 08-21-2006, 10:38 AM
KaZ

Old 08-21-2006, 03:27 PM
KaZ

If anyone wants to see anything in particular pictures wise... let me know and I'll get some shots tonight... she is currently parked in a garage next to my 350Z which is where she'll be until my family and I get back to TX driving from VA with our '06 Maxima, which will then obviously take up the garage.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2006, 07:57 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Damn, wish I didn't sell my '97, and wish I had the money for yours!!
Old 08-24-2006, 08:02 AM
KaZ

Originally Posted by nismos14
Damn, wish I didn't sell my '97, and wish I had the money for yours!!
Its not that much man... =)

How is the SE-R treating you?
Old 08-24-2006, 08:26 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

It's treating me very well. No major issues, not every many minor ones either. Just wish it had an LSD and I'd be all set
Old 08-24-2006, 08:29 AM
KaZ

It's treating me very well. No major issues, not every many minor ones either. Just wish it had an LSD and I'd be all set
Ah... yeah I got the VQ35 bug from my wife's '06 Max... Was going to wait until I could afford a G35 Coupe, but the wife said no to that one (didn't like the way it looked) and said to get 350Z... my only concern was it being a 2 seater, having two sons and all... and she quelled that by saying we already had the Max... no need for two four seaters... who am I to argue... =)
Old 08-24-2006, 09:35 AM
Banned

can i just ask, why are all the lights on the front end taped up when racing?
Old 08-24-2006, 10:40 AM
KaZ

Originally Posted by goldtooth
can i just ask, why are all the lights on the front end taped up when racing?
Help prevent chips and/or cracks/shattering. Its common for track use. Its just a few layers of painters tape that you'd use inside your house to tape up trim when painting a wall, etc. =) Corner markers and bumper lights were brand new... didn't want to chip those from flying rocks tossed the car in front of me, etc...
Old 08-24-2006, 11:00 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by KaZ
Ah... yeah I got the VQ35 bug from my wife's '06 Max... Was going to wait until I could afford a G35 Coupe, but the wife said no to that one (didn't like the way it looked) and said to get 350Z... my only concern was it being a 2 seater, having two sons and all... and she quelled that by saying we already had the Max... no need for two four seaters... who am I to argue... =)

Haha, sounds like the wife is a winner!! Enjoy the Z, please get one with LSD if you can.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:08 AM
KaZ

Haha, sounds like the wife is a winner!! Enjoy the Z, please get one with LSD if you can.
Oh, I got a track model... has everything but leather and nav, cuz who needs those? =)

I was going to post a picture from the Dealership's site, but they already pulled it (they're quick!). But this is basically the same Z... just someone elses' in Cali... =) But same model, color, etc... =)

(Picture changed, so I removed it)

Well, that might actually be Silver Stone (dark grey), where as mine is Chrome Silver... =) But its close
Old 08-24-2006, 11:32 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Oh man I didn't realize you already got it!! How do you like it? How much did ya get it for?
Old 08-24-2006, 11:42 AM
KaZ

Well... it was traded in by an Z Enthusiast (2nd owner) who was going back to Law School... couldn't afford the payment on it. Used Sales Manager (who I dealt with) said he traded it in for an '05 Accord Coupe, 4yl, manual, etc... said the guy about cried. =( They had it listed on the sheet at $23,991, internet special was $21,991.

I'd already seen a few Base & Enthusiast models between $19k and $24k in the area, all crap... drove one at a Cadillac place that wanted $24k for... Hadn't even been cleaned, 3rd ground, engine bay and interior were just horrible... scratches in the door... but it was SilverStone! You could tell a woman owned it (nail scratches on the drivers door from grabbing it at the top to push open and pull closed). I drove that one and was certain I wanted one, just not that one... I told the guy it wasn't worth $18k, and he looked it up and said they had over $20k in it... and figured correctly that I wouldn't even buy it if he sold it to me at their cost, and of course I said no... I then came back to work and searched around some more, and found my Track Model at a Honda Dealership, just 20 miles up the highway. Grabbed the wife and drove up there to check it out...

Immaculate car, just a few minor scratches/chips in the paint, all of which had already been touched up, etc (you can see them, but they're not horrible, but eh, its going to be a daily anyway). Had a Nismo R-Tune intake already installed, tires were decent... drove it, loved it. Very firm suspension... I almost think it might have aftermarket goodies its so firm and solid... but it might just be the track model settings, I'm not sure, I haven't had a chance to get under it and look.

Dealer said they traded it at $21k, and had their normal $800 pack on it (the usual checks, cleaning, etc, to put it out on the lot). So they said the lowest they'd go was $21,800. KBB retail is $26,175, Edmunds TMV retail is $24,465 with Private Party at $23,580 for KBB, and $22,701 for Edmunds. So I figure buying the car at sub Private Party pricing was pretty much stealing the car... I love it. =)
Old 09-01-2006, 07:14 AM
KaZ

Still available...
Old 09-01-2006, 11:12 AM

damn, if i had 5k i would buy that in a heartbeat! veeery nice. MSR is an awesome experience, too. Free bump for a nice car
Old 09-01-2006, 11:20 AM
KaZ

Thanks. Its a great car, but its just now become the 3rd vehicle... =( So she is being a bit neglected... I need to get some better pictures of her. Something I should do this weekend.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:15 PM
dot dot dot ...

Interesting..

So the exhaust is stock?
Old 09-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Im just a little confused. So Your selling the Max. with all the mods in for 5,000?
Old 09-05-2006, 04:23 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

He has done all that work and you're worried about the exhaust?

I as$ume he'd be leaving it all in there as most parts wouldn't transfer into his 06 Max or his Z, and he wouldn't have listed them if they weren't gonna be included.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:03 AM
dot dot dot ...

Just getting the facts straight since everythinhg else seems to be in perfect order, I thought I'd ask 1 petty detail. Also, Dallas is closer to me than most of these other A32 5MT's.

At least I'm not a traitor
Old 09-05-2006, 07:32 AM
KaZ

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Interesting..

So the exhaust is stock?
Yes, Exhaust is original... it was the next on my list for replacement... but never got there...

Originally Posted by RussianMobsta
Im just a little confused. So Your selling the Max. with all the mods in for 5,000?
Yeah... I mean I've LOVE to get more money for it... but I'm not about to part the car out... I don't have the time, nor do I want to deal with the hassle... so basically its a $4k Maxima, with an additional $4k in recent mods and maintenance, for an asking price of $5k. AND the $4k in mods/maintenance doesn't include labor... that's just parts. I did all the labor myself, so obviously to me it wasn't a factor, but trying to reproduce these mods on any other Maxima, you'd have to add for labor, unless you're handy with a wrench and willing to install all the parts yourself. It took me over 3 days to install everything in a single weekend...

I as$ume he'd be leaving it all in there as most parts wouldn't transfer into his 06 Max or his Z, and he wouldn't have listed them if they weren't gonna be included.
Yeah, nothing really of "value" to the new Max transfers... I mean I guess I could swap the intake... but its not much value... everything else wouldn't transfer, except the wheels and tires, but even there, the new Maxima has an taller overall wheel & tire package. (245/45/18 tires, versus the 245/40/18 tires on the '97)

Just getting the facts straight since everythinhg else seems to be in perfect order, I thought I'd ask 1 petty detail. Also, Dallas is closer to me than most of these other A32 5MT's.

You talking about me or him?

Its a great car... it just has a few minor exterior issues (all cosmetic really) and everything else is great... pulls strong, good gas mileage, perfect suspension & brakes (obviously), and its good to go for a while...

I wish I could get more money for it... as I've seen others with less mods go for more, but they were in a little better cosmetic shape.... so I'm being realistic about the price...

If you guys need/want pictures of anything, let me know... they'll unfortunately be camera phone pictures, but they're pretty clear (not the greatest, but decent).
Old 09-05-2006, 09:23 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by KaZ
You talking about me or him?
Talking to him... all in good fun.

I'm intrested in this car, need to do some financial planning, and will PM you when I get things sorted out. Shouldn't be more than a week.

Thanks for your time.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:33 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

I still have a VQ + 6spd - weight... I'm happy
Old 09-05-2006, 10:23 AM
KaZ

Talking to him... all in good fun.

I'm intrested in this car, need to do some financial planning, and will PM you when I get things sorted out. Shouldn't be more than a week.

Thanks for your time.
Oh I knew it was all in fun... just was waiting to see whether it was he or I that needed to jest back...

Sounds like a plan... she's parked safely on the street outside my townhouse (only have a two car garage, which is housing the Z and the '06 at the moment). But if you need some additional pictures/etc, let me know... but she looks just like those MSR Pictures... just needs to be vacuumed out (still haven't really given her a thorough cleaning since I drove it out here from VA), and modded to your liking.

I still have a VQ + 6spd - weight... I'm happy
Same here... just even less weight... and I still have the '06 too!
Old 09-05-2006, 10:35 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Haha... I'd say we're doin pretty good... all in the nissan family
Old 09-05-2006, 10:38 AM
KaZ

Haha... I'd say we're doin pretty good... all in the nissan family
Yup... and more reliable than buying 'merican. Not sure whether that should make me laugh or cry... lol
Old 09-05-2006, 10:58 AM

Kaz,could you email me any other pictures that you have?Thank you for your time.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:00 AM
KaZ

Originally Posted by zcarmaniac
Kaz,could you email me any other pictures that you have?Thank you for your time.
Sure... I've got a bunch of the pictures from when I took the car apart and installed all the new bits (should have taken more, but I think I have enough). They're all on my home PC, and need to be resized, but I'll edit them tonight and get them emailed. PM me your email address, and I'll get them to you tonight.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am interested...How is your driving habits? Do you always floor it? I see you used it in the track.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:55 PM
KaZ

Originally Posted by ting
I am interested...How is your driving habits? Do you always floor it? I see you used it in the track.
I like the sound of the intake, let me put it that way... Aside from that, it almost always got over 20mpg every tank... with a few exceptions... here is the last four months worth of logs I have (what I had entered on gasprices.com). Car was driven as a daily driver for a while (I worked ~20 miles from home, about 80% highway, 20% city), so it commuted 40+ miles a day for a while... never had a problem with her... she has never let me down! Only real problems of note were when the wife ran it of gas one time (women) and the occasional blown tire (not the car's fault). I also drove her out to Dallas, TX and BACK to Virginia Beach, VA back late May / early June for the National Z Convention (week before Maxxus)... I then drove her out to Dallas when I relocated in late July... so that accounts for ~4500 miles worth of what you see below (driving between 5/28-6/4 and 7/22-7/23). Trip in late May / early June was with the car fully loaded... 3 adults and 1 child, plus luggage... trip in July was just myself, but a car full of clothes, and other personal items (computer, etc) for my temporarily pre-relocation.

Average Fuel Economy (MPG) - 22.56

Purchase Date / Price ($/G) / Gallons Purchased / Total Cost / Odometer / Station / Filled Tank? / MPG / * Notes

8/7/2006 3.059 16.019 $49.00 149,808 Exxon Y -
7/23/2006 3.029 14.195 $43.00 149,498 Costco Y 19.35 Lewisville, TX
7/22/2006 2.769 15.259 $42.25 149,127 Love's Y 26.14 Little Rock, AR
7/22/2006 2.799 13.218 $37.00 148,715 Exxon Y 27.00 Cookeville, TN
7/22/2006 2.799 14.022 $39.25 148,389 Shell Y 24.66 Christiansburg, VA
7/21/2006 2.869 16.905 $48.50 148,040 Costco Y 24.89
7/7/2006 3.049 17.056 $52.00 147,723 Costco Y 18.75
6/14/2006 3.079 16.238 $50.00 147,399 7-Eleven Y 19.00
6/4/2006 2.949 16.445 $48.50 147,071 Costco Y 20.20
6/4/2006 2.699 16.857 $45.50 146,653 Shell Y 25.42
6/3/2006 2.539 14.967 $38.00 146,250 Conoco Y 23.91
6/3/2006 2.599 14.813 $38.50 145,876 Road Runner Y 24.99
6/2/2006 2.799 13.932 $39.00 145,543 Sams Club Y 22.48
6/2/2006 3.099 4.840 $15.00 145,474 Quix N -
6/1/2006 3.099 4.840 $15.00 145,389 Texaco N -
6/1/2006 2.949 8.477 $25.00 145,225 Valero N -
5/29/2006 2.899 16.557 $48.00 144,884 Exxon Y - Caddo Mills, TX
5/29/2006 2.539 14.571 $37.00 144,475 Pilot Y 24.70 West Memphis, AR
5/28/2006 2.649 12.456 $33.00 144,131 Exxon Y 23.61 Crossville, TN
5/28/2006 2.539 14.967 $38.00 143,839 RaceWay Y 23.44 Christiansburg, VA
5/26/2006 2.939 13.099 $38.50 143,490 Costco Y 23.32
5/13/2006 3.079 15.020 $46.25 143,231 Costco Y 19.77
5/6/2006 3.019 16.561 $50.00 142,926 Costco Y 20.31
4/28/2006 3.129 13.424 $42.00 142,594 Costco Y 20.05
4/22/2006 3.029 9.245 $28.00 142,291 Costco Y 22.57
4/18/2006 2.919 17.128 $50.00 142,106 Costco Y 20.01
4/10/2006 2.759 14.045 $38.75 141,732 Costco Y 21.84

I tend to drive "spiritedly". I'm not a nut, but it is a "Sports Sedan". I rev match for downshifts, I slow using engine with the transmission in gear, and I like to hear the growl of the intake when I accelerate... but I've never redlined the car (even at the track), and very rarely was it ever close to redline for very long (most it had ever been up there was at MSR). For the most part I shift before 4krpm and tend to skip shift when farting around town or just doddling on the highway. Only on merges to the highway do I row it through the gears and get on it when necessary.

Always changed the oil every 3-5k miles, and I've only used Synthetics while I've owned the car and used premium filters (OEM Nissan, PureOne, Mobil1, etc).

Basically... I'm a Nissan Enthusiast... I've owned MULTIPLE Nissans in my life... and a variety of imports

'85 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (first car)
'95 Subaru Impreza
'99 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
'97 Honda Prelude
'00 Nissan Maxima SE
'91 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
'97 Nissan 240SX SE
'84 Datsun 200SX Turbo
'88 Nissan 300ZX
'74 Datsun 260Z
'06 Nissan Maxima SE
'03 Nissan 350Z

Family has owned:
'76 Datsun 280Z 2+2
'97 Nissan Maxima SE
'00 Honda Odyssey
'88 Nissan Maxima SE
'86 Nissan 300ZX Turbo
'93 Nissan 240SX SE (converted to a 180SX RHD w/ CA18DET)
'95 Nissan 240SX SE
'05 Nissan Maxima SE

So imports and especially Nissan's tend to run in the family...

Plus I shadetree on '90-'96 Nissan 300ZXs in my spare time... I've worked on over 100 different Zs in the past 6 years... done timing belts, suspensions, turbos, wiring harnesses, clutches, transmissions, whatever... you name it, I've probably done it when it comes to a 300ZX... Basically, I take good care of my cars mechanically... I don't screw around. I do a lot of research, and I buy only what I feel is worthwhile... I don't cheap out on my parts! =) I cheap on the labor and install it all myself... but I never cheap on the quality of the parts!

Most of the cosmetic issues were pre-existing when I bought her (front and rear bumper scuffs, minor door dings, ya know, the usual). The front fender/bumper stuff was more recent and not my fault. I've owned the Maxima since 2000, and it was purchased from the 2nd owner who resided in Chicago. I flew out sight unseen, and bought it off an ebay listing. I drove her home without a single problem, and haven't had any problems since. ^_^ She has been a great car... but I had already tasted the power and rush of a the Twin Turbo Z... and having sold mine for family/financial reasons back in early '05, I've been lingering for more power, that I just can't get out of this Maxima without some SERIOUS upgrades... =( So I caved and bought my '03 350Z. Its a good base for now... and eventually I'll probably end up turbocharging it for the extra kick in the pants!

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:10 PM
KaZ

More Pictures

150,097, in case it isn't legible.

AE Shift ****

Heated Seat Switches

Scratches in the door (most have been there for over 5 years, some are more recent from kids' bicycles in my old neighborhood)
Old 09-05-2006, 04:11 PM
KaZ

Old 09-05-2006, 04:12 PM
KaZ

Bumps and bruises from her incident with the Road Raging moron...

Could be pulled, smoothed, and just repainted, but I do have a replacement fender & bumpers that do come with the car, but they obviously need to be painted.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:14 PM
KaZ

Rear scraps from previous owner parking it in Chicago

Leather Interior
Old 09-05-2006, 04:15 PM
KaZ

Rear Leather Seats

CE Front Strut Bar, Cosmo Intake (Injen Copy), Optima RedTop Battery

Same as above

Mobil1 Clean 7500 (Synthetic Blend for higher mileage cars)
Old 09-05-2006, 04:17 PM
KaZ

Cattman / Progress Rear Sway Bar (hard to see, but you can spot the brackets... trust me, its there, lol).

Sorry for the quality... like I said... Camera phone... they looked a lot "clearer" on the phone... lol. Also a bit bigger... 640x480 ain't all that big I guess... lol

If anyone wants something more specific, let me know... I'll retake pictures of requested stuff.

Stereo DOES NOT convey with the car... its going into the 350Z, hence why it wasn't mentioned in the original post (actually, I think I said the stock Bose stuff comes with the car...)
Old 09-05-2006, 04:51 PM
KaZ

New LCAs

Parts

Tires

More Parts
Old 09-05-2006, 04:53 PM
KaZ

And more parts still...

Parts

Parts

Brakes

Before
Old 09-05-2006, 04:54 PM
KaZ

Tire specs

Right Rear Complete, with new brake caliper

Left Rear Complete, also with new brake caliper

Rear Main

Engine After Removal of Old Rear Main

Quick Reply: 1997 SE 5spd, 150k miles, a lot of recent maintenance/modifications