Members Rides Post Pictures of your car here. No Maxima? No problem.

My 97 SE 5spd - New 17x9 FN01RCs

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mr****s95SE
if you want to get more aggressive, go with the GC's as the Koni Yellows are able to be shortened.
Correct

what some people do is go with 3rd gen Koni Reds inserts in front as they are short for that application but can fit in 4th gen housings.
True, but by "short" you really do mean short. I would not recommend slapping a set of reds into housings unless you have a very short, stiff spring. My car never bottomed out with Reds on it, it compressed so far the nose of the car just mashed the pavement.

Full travel of the Reds is about 2" less than the Yellows. They have ~1.5" shorter bodies and are overall 3.5" shorter. That is a LOT of lost extension travel.

only thing with the Reds are that they are non-adjustable.
False--they aren't adjustable on the car. The adjusting procedure is identical to the rear Konis; remove from car, compress fully and turn the strut rod.

BUT you dont have to hassle with shortening the Yellows. tradeoff i guess.
You will have to hassle with lengthening the Reds if you want them to last for more than a few months.

the Koni Yellow/GC is a pretty popular combo among autoXers and roadracers as spring rates and dampening can be customized from the manufacturer.
It's a good setup, no doubt. I have my yellows on full firm though and lately they are feeling soft. Keep in mind you cannot adjust compression damping without having them rebuilt. I think it's set pretty well for our cars in general but if you're looking for a stiff suspension instead of a "sport-touring" suspension you might want to look elsewhere.

I am working on an interesting solution to further shortening Yellows. It is pretty simple and it may not work, but it will be interesting for sure.