Members Rides Post Pictures of your car here. No Maxima? No problem.
View Poll Results: Should I color-match the roof spoiler or should I leave it as is.
Yes(color-match)
63.33%
No(leave it black)
36.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

My 5th Gen (Work in Progress)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 08:45 AM

Day 2 of Build: Cont. Clutch

Woke up early and cleaned out the tranny, then followed it with a coat of paint.

I'll keep y'all posted as we finish the process of the replacing the clutch. Car shoulf be running by the end of the day.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:28 AM

nice work man! I like the "mini" air filter on the from valve cover, Ive never seen it before and its def unique.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by BigLou55
nice work man! I like the "mini" air filter on the from valve cover, Ive never seen it before and its def unique.
Thanks bro.

So the clutch is in. That's the end of day 2 of the build. We had a few things give us a hard time but we worked through them. Need to break in the clutch. Day 3 of build will probably be next Saturday. I'll probably do the injectors and fuel pump, before we get to the main show... Big thanks to my boy Gabe aka Lyzek for busting his behind with me and miss our Cowgirls game together, and my girl for helping the day go by smoother(food and drinks) and not flipping out for all the handprints I left everywhere... Haha.

Last edited by VQtHuRtY; 11-20-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:55 AM

So, I've encountered the infamous leaking passenger axle. Its leaking from the seal, theres no play in the shaft when its secure in the tranny, which is very good. I will be replacing my axle seal hopefully today and see how that goes...
Old 11-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

nice build man she's looks great
Old 11-22-2011, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by se-rj
nice build man she's looks great
Appreciate it, bro.

Just got done replacing the axle seal. The old one was busted. Ill take a picture of it tomorrow. The leaking seems to have stopped(knock on wood). Lets see how she does tomorrow.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:09 AM

nice 5th gen ,,hows the stechs workin out ,,i had them but nyc streets are bad nd i had to upgrade to ss teins coilovers
Old 12-05-2011, 08:51 AM

Day 3 of Build:

Been very busy in the man cave working on the ride. Here's some pictures.

No hood, no bumper.

Making well needed space. Removed radiator and fan assembly, cross member, and a few others.

Y-pipe is off. (Will probably be up for sale shortly)

Removed exhaust manifold.

Turbo Manifold is on.

Closer look at the money maker.

Then it was time to address the oil dilemma. We taped the oil pan. Had to grind down the compressor a little for a better fit. Did the return line. Now giving oil pan time for the silicone gasket to dry up, then we'll see if theres any leaks.

Meanwhile, we mounted the intercooler. And got all the Charge pipe together. A front view.

Charge pipe mocked, blow off valve.

Still need to tap the water line since the turbo is to be oil and water cooled. Then the car would be off to the shop to get minor fabs done (downpipe, external wastegate, intake pipe). Other than that, the only thing left would be the fuel system. I have to change out the injectors and fuel pump, and get the car to get a tune.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by ENVYMAXI03
nice 5th gen ,,hows the stechs workin out ,,i had them but nyc streets are bad nd i had to upgrade to ss teins coilovers
They do the job for now. Since I installed the KYB's, its rare i bottom out. I have plans to upgrade to coilovers in the future, though.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:57 PM

nice build! curious to see how it pulls. gotta give me a ride in it!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by VisciousMo
nice build! curious to see how it pulls. gotta give me a ride in it!
Haha. The ride should be heading to Turbo Elements tomorrow for some fabs. As soon as I get it back, I'll get back to work on it. Shouldnt be too much left before it goes in to JMS for a tune. As soon as I get it tuned, I'll take you for a spin.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:07 PM

What are you using to tune? wideband?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Maximus2010
What are you using to tune? wideband?
I will be using AEM FIC. That's what the tuning shop felt it was better for my application. They dispite E-Manage, which was my first choice, but they build quality vehicles and have done this a few times to say the least. So, I'm following their expert advise.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:19 AM

This has come a long way. Keep it up
Old 12-06-2011, 10:48 AM

im curious what numbers it produces. Keep the pics coming
Old 12-06-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by tseng1023
This has come a long way. Keep it up
Thanks man. Its a work in progress, it'll only gonna get better from here. I have other areas i want to focus after the car is tuned and all. I want to put some work on the interior and wheels department.

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
im curious what numbers it produces. Keep the pics coming
Im not too concerned on what numbers it puts down, at first. Just want the car running good all the time. There's a few things I want to upgrade in the future... I want this Maxima to be around for a while.

Last edited by VQtHuRtY; 12-06-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:06 PM

First startup vid. There's a big exhaust leak, making the turbo pulsate.

http://youtu.be/6sPIiKsuPzo

Last edited by VQtHuRtY; 12-06-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:08 PM

Any pic of the turbo manifold off? Just curious on how it looks. Single turbo v6's always made me wonder how the manifold looks like.

Would that Y pipe fit a 4th gen?...
Old 12-10-2011, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by VQtHuRtY
I will be using AEM FIC. That's what the tuning shop felt it was better for my application. They dispite E-Manage, which was my first choice, but they build quality vehicles and have done this a few times to say the least. So, I'm following their expert advise.
I disagree with those experts, when it comes to stuff like this bro educate yourself to the fullest don't ever trust a so called expert, every car is different. The FIC is good and works pretty good on the maxima so you should be fine but if I recall you can't adjust timing.

First startup vid. There's a big exhaust leak, making the turbo pulsate.

http://youtu.be/6sPIiKsuPzo
Why are you running it without an air filter bro?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by MaxiNone
Any pic of the turbo manifold off? Just curious on how it looks. Single turbo v6's always made me wonder how the manifold looks like.

IMO a single turbo V6 (or V8) should be fed from a reverse y-pipe or a forward y-pipe. Thats how mine is, I wouldn't use a manifold making one bank feed the turbo more then the other, but to each his own either way it isn't wrong. The manifold may be spooling the turbo quicker then my setup thats an interesting point but it just seems there would be turbulence considering one bank is coming in quicker and more then the other. Interested in seeing the final graph to see the power curve!

Good **** OP but get a filter on that turbo bro!
Old 12-11-2011, 05:29 PM

IMO a single turbo V6 (or V8) should be fed from a reverse y-pipe or a forward y-pipe. Thats how mine is, I wouldn't use a manifold making one bank feed the turbo more then the other, but to each his own either way it isn't wrong. The manifold may be spooling the turbo quicker then my setup thats an interesting point but it just seems there would be turbulence considering one bank is coming in quicker and more then the other. Interested in seeing the final graph to see the power curve!

I wasn't bashing him, I was just curious on how the manifold looks since I couldn't picture it with the pic of the turbo on. For some reason I thought the turbo was going to sit up top around the empty area above the tranny...
Old 12-11-2011, 05:44 PM

I wasn't bashing him, I was just curious on how the manifold looks since I couldn't picture it with the pic of the turbo on. For some reason I thought the turbo was going to sit up top around the empty area above the tranny...
No one is bashing anyone in anyway I'm confused by your post, hopefully my post isn't coming off in some type of harsh or bad way, if it is, it's not what I meant at all I was just comparing the different setups and my thoughts about it.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:10 AM

Dude, you're more than welcome to drop by the house and take a look at it. Im always down to meet other enthusiasts. And yes, it will fit a 4th Gen.

I disagree with those experts, when it comes to stuff like this bro educate yourself to the fullest don't ever trust a so called expert, every car is different. The FIC is good and works pretty good on the maxima so you should be fine but if I recall you can't adjust timing.

Why are you running it without an air filter bro?
Let me add, these "so called experts" just won Forced Induction Pro class yesterday at IFO San Antonio with a STREET CAR. And by street car, I mean, he drives this car to and from work, drove the car with full interior back home from the track, no trailer. They know their stuff. I'm going with their advise. Thanks for your suggestion, though. The FIC does allow adjusting the ignition timing. Here's a link to the website.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/engine...oller-f-ic-12/

And the reason why it does have a filter is because the upgrade GT35 upgrade doesnt come with an intake pipe, so one will be fabricated for me. The car is down and not running. If you place close attention, the fans weren't on yet. The downpipe nor wastegate are not installed either. The purpose of turning on the car at that time was to make sure oil was getting to the turbo and there was no leaks from the return line nor from where we taped the oil pan.

Good point on the turbulence factor. I've thought about it. But, the purpose of this car is not to be a race car. I'm looking for a quick daily driver and Im sure I will get just that, once it's done.

Last edited by VQtHuRtY; 12-12-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:10 AM

Not arguing bro but you basically stated they don't care for the EU when its been proven to be the best tuning tool for our vehicles. Like I said every car is different, you can be an experts on many levels but the Maxima is not your "average" build car. Reagrdless the FIC will work well and some have used it in the past so you have nothing to worry about either way. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:26 PM

Not arguing bro but you basically stated they don't care for the EU when its been proven to be the best tuning tool for our vehicles. Like I said every car is different, you can be an experts on many levels but the Maxima is not your "average" build car. Reagrdless the FIC will work well and some have used it in the past so you have nothing to worry about either way. Good luck!
That's exactly what I said. They dispite it, where my words, if I remember correctly. There's nothing to argue about. You gave your opinion, which you are intitled to and I respect. You're not gonna change my mind, so that's that.

Let me add the that the owner of JMS, Joaquin Alpizar, is a technician at the local Nissan/Infiniti dealership, and is the only UpRev dealer in the area. So, they are very familiar with Nissan powerplants. Here's a clip of the so called experts that will be tuning my ride. A piece of info, these passes where done on drag radials. No slicks used Sunday. Driven to and from track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8KAB...e_gdata_player

Last edited by VQtHuRtY; 12-12-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:29 AM

That's exactly what I said. They dispite it, where my words, if I remember correctly. There's nothing to argue about. You gave your opinion, which you are intitled to and I respect. You're not gonna change my mind, so that's that.

Let me add the that the owner of JMS, Joaquin Alpizar, is a technician at the local Nissan/Infiniti dealership, and is the only UpRev dealer in the area. So, they are very familiar with Nissan powerplants. Here's a clip of the so called experts that will be tuning my ride. A piece of info, these passes where done on drag radials. No slicks used Sunday. Driven to and from track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8KAB...e_gdata_player
I don't understand why an Evo has anything to do with your Maxima but ok.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:36 AM

I don't understand why an Evo has anything to do with your Maxima but ok.
I've respected your opinion and comments, although at times I've felt there some what ignorant. But you should be stoned to death for the above comment. The only reason I posted the vid is to show the caliber of the "so called experts" at JMS. But let's keep my thread clean and on topic.
So the ride should be heading to Turbo Elements for the last fabrications. After that is a few more tweaks and then to the tuning shop. Hopefully by the end of January it'll be tuned and swooshing around town.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:05 AM

I've respected your opinion and comments, although at times I've felt there some what ignorant. But you should be stoned to death for the above comment. The only reason I posted the vid is to show the caliber of the "so called experts" at JMS. But let's keep my thread clean and on topic.
So the ride should be heading to Turbo Elements for the last fabrications. After that is a few more tweaks and then to the tuning shop. Hopefully by the end of January it'll be tuned and swooshing around town.
Sorry it was not my intention to sound like a jackass, if I did I apologize bro. What I was trying to get at is with our cars, that don't have much readily available especially when it comes to FI and tuning, vs. a car like the EVO that has a ton of stuff readily available compared to us; its a totally different story.

Not bashing those guys bro I'm sure they are experts even with Nissans, but the Maxima, especially 01 and older, are a very different vehicle, even the 02-03 have Uprev they can use and we don't. Comparing even a 350z to a Maxima is apples to oranges when it comes to tuning and FI. I am sure they will tune it right with the FIC, I wasn't disagreeing with that. My original statement was disagreeing with the EU since its the #1 choice for many of us who are FI.

Anyway sorry for cluttering up the thread I was trying to support you not debate you and I may have came off wrong, now finish that BUILD!
Old 12-13-2011, 12:05 PM

Sorry it was not my intention to sound like a jackass, if I did I apologize bro. What I was trying to get at is with our cars, that don't have much readily available especially when it comes to FI and tuning, vs. a car like the EVO that has a ton of stuff readily available compared to us; its a totally different story.

Not bashing those guys bro I'm sure they are experts even with Nissans, but the Maxima, especially 01 and older, are a very different vehicle, even the 02-03 have Uprev they can use and we don't. Comparing even a 350z to a Maxima is apples to oranges when it comes to tuning and FI. I am sure they will tune it right with the FIC, I wasn't disagreeing with that. My original statement was disagreeing with the EU since its the #1 choice for many of us who are FI.

Anyway sorry for cluttering up the thread I was trying to support you not debate you and I may have came off wrong, now finish that BUILD!
You're good bro. Dont sweat it. Im waiting on Turbo Elements to come pick up the ride.

Last edited by VQtHuRtY; 12-13-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:01 PM

Dude, you're more than welcome to drop by the house and take a look at it. Im always down to meet other enthusiasts. And yes, it will fit a 4th Gen.

i might be interested in the Y pipe if you decide to get rid of it...
Old 12-14-2011, 09:13 PM

I really like the red stripe you added. Definitely adds a lots of character to the wheels. Nice ride. Keepin it clean!
Old 12-15-2011, 09:10 AM

i might be interested in the Y pipe if you decide to get rid of it...
Y-Pipe is for sale. I would hate to get rid of it by itself. I would like to sell the whole exhaust system. Im asking for $200. Comes with Fed Spec Exhaust Manifold (giving them free, dont need them, dont want them), y-pipe, test pipe, mandrel bent 2.5" catback exhaust with Magnaflow Dual Tip Muffler. Its a steal. PM me. You can come check it out... as long as you bring me a cold Corona. Lol

Last edited by VQtHuRtY; 12-15-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by darkwater
I really like the red stripe you added. Definitely adds a lots of character to the wheels. Nice ride. Keepin it clean!
Thanks bro. I liked the stripe as well, although the wheels will not have it in the future. Im wanting to go a different route with the SER's

Last edited by VQtHuRtY; 12-15-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:00 AM

Y-Pipe is for sale. I would hate to get rid of it by itself. I would like to sell the whole exhaust system. Im asking for $200. Comes with Fed Spec Exhaust Manifold (giving them free, dont need them, dont want them), y-pipe, test pipe, mandrel bent 2.5" catback exhaust with Magnaflow Dual Tip Muffler. Its a steal. PM me. You can come check it out... as long as you bring me a cold Corona. Lol
lol, i'll hit ya up...
Old 12-26-2011, 01:09 PM

Small update:

Ride is
Old 12-26-2011, 01:16 PM

Thanks bro. I liked the stripe as well, although the wheels will not have it in the future. Im wanting to go a different route with the SER's
Another fan of the red strip here
I am going to do that to my 4th gen rims
Old 12-26-2011, 01:18 PM

Small update:

Ride was picked up and trailered to Turbo Elements. An intake pipe from the turbo to the air filter will be fabbed to make the intake sit right behind the battery. A 3" downpipe awaits to be fabbed, as well as an external wastegate.

As soon as I get the car back I will be installing the last few things to get the car running. I need to tap the water and run a water line to the turbo. Install slim fans, change the injectors and fuel pump. Then off to get a tune.

Last edited by VQtHuRtY; 12-26-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:07 PM

Half my Christmas present from my girl came in.

OBX Short Shifter

Also received the intake manifold gaskets, so I can replace my injectors once the car is back from the shop.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice to see this making some serious progress. Just a quick question, are you losing your A/C with the 3" downpipe? If not I would love to see how you had the downpipe routed. I always wished I had taken the extra steps to see what this kit could do on my car with the improvements I had planned. But you are doing that. If you don't mind me asking, how much have you spent on this entire project? You can PM me if you don't want to share it here publicly.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by nismomaxct
Nice to see this making some serious progress. Just a quick question, are you losing your A/C with the 3" downpipe? If not I would love to see how you had the downpipe routed. I always wished I had taken the extra steps to see what this kit could do on my car with the improvements I had planned. But you are doing that. If you don't mind me asking, how much have you spent on this entire project? You can PM me if you don't want to share it here publicly.
Whats going on? Im loosing my AC momentarily as the ac line will be removed while doing the 3" downpipe. I may have to re route it or bend it a little. Not expecting it to be more than $50 if I have to reroute it. Im tipping over 4g's That's everything being brand new(turbo setup$2800, injectors$500ish, fuel pump$100, clutch kit$500ish, tripod$50ish). To tell you the truth, I want my car to be a well rounded car that will be boosting for a long time. I will focus on other areas of the car next(interior, wheels, suspension, etc.) All I will do next to the kit to add power will be to upgrade the intercooler and the charge pipes. I'm sure I can squeeze lots of power out of it once that's done.

Quick Reply: My 5th Gen (Work in Progress)