5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

mp3 player new location/hardwired

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 04:53 PM
retired moderator

mp3 player new location/hardwired

as some of you may recall I did a "custom" hardwire of the FM modulator to Bose setup using an Alpine XM receiver and my Dell jukbox MP3 player....works great, but decided I didn't like 3 things:
1. the location.....kind of had to lean forward to reach it
2. the location worried me if my passenger airbag ever went off, I might get an mp3 player going 500mph toward my face..
3. too many loose wires, especiallyl when using the cigarette lighter charger.
(you can see these in the 2ND pic below)

So i made a new bracket, a little nicer looking than the old one, painted the Dell holder, relocated it to a different area, and hardwired the charger directly into the cigarette lighter's wiring behind the dash (lighter still works, of course). While I was at it, I also hardwired my cell phone car charger and ran it so it comes out on the left of the console where my phone holder is (not pictured). I'm probably gonna relocate the Alpine face unit to inside the storage compartment between the seats, but that' s a project for another day.

bottom line: minimized ugly wires, relocated MP3 player in a better location

First pic is the new setup, second pic is the old setup.

old setup:
Old 11-25-2004, 12:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nice irish. deffinetly looks better this way. no wires runnign along the daash.
i was thinking of doing something similar with my ipod.
but saw a kit for the car which plugs directly into the cigarette lighter doulbes as a charger/fm transmitter/ and has a swiwel arm to adjust to your comfort. no wires at all. if that doesnt work .. i might do something similar to yours. thanks for ideas.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:31 PM
retired moderator

yeah you mean the transpack thing that they sell...I thought about that, but heard that the FM modulator doen'st work all that clearly, though the design of it is very nice and convenient. The setup I have is actually wired INTO the Bose antenna for a clearer signal than a transmit FM modulator....

I still plan on cleaning up the wiring a little, but this is "stage 2" of the setup I guess.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah I like that location better.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
yeah you mean the transpack thing that they sell...I thought about that, but heard that the FM modulator doen'st work all that clearly, though the design of it is very nice and convenient. The setup I have is actually wired INTO the Bose antenna for a clearer signal than a transmit FM modulator....

I still plan on cleaning up the wiring a little, but this is "stage 2" of the setup I guess.
thanks for the info about transpack. i got an aftermarket Pioneer radio. u think it'll work if i hardwire it into auxilary control?
Old 11-25-2004, 07:59 PM
retired moderator

yeah if you have a pioneer, you should be able to plug the ipod into the rca inputs via a cable you can buy at radio shack.....
Old 11-25-2004, 08:12 PM

yeah if you have a pioneer, you should be able to plug the ipod into the rca inputs via a cable you can buy at radio shack.....
have u seen the new radio .. i think alpine makes it? u can control yuor mp3 player straight from the radio
Old 11-25-2004, 08:13 PM
retired moderator

not sure, I'm not really an expert on audio stuff, the mp3 wiring was pretty straightforward, but can't tell you about radios....
Old 11-26-2004, 05:56 AM

There is an adapter from alpine KCA-420i it lets you control the ipod straight from the alpine headunit. but since i have the pioneer i just might do it your way
Old 11-26-2004, 07:17 AM

as some of you may recall I did a "custom" hardwire of the FM modulator to Bose setup using an Alpine XM receiver and my Dell jukbox MP3 player....works great, but decided I didn't like 3 things:
1. the location.....kind of had to lean forward to reach it
2. the location worried me if my passenger airbag ever went off, I might get an mp3 player going 500mph toward my face..
3. too many loose wires, especiallyl when using the cigarette lighter charger.
(you can see these in the 2ND pic below)

So i made a new bracket, a little nicer looking than the old one, painted the Dell holder, relocated it to a different area, and hardwired the charger directly into the cigarette lighter's wiring behind the dash (lighter still works, of course). While I was at it, I also hardwired my cell phone car charger and ran it so it comes out on the left of the console where my phone holder is (not pictured). I'm probably gonna relocate the Alpine face unit to inside the storage compartment between the seats, but that' s a project for another day.

bottom line: minimized ugly wires, relocated MP3 player in a better location

First pic is the new setup, second pic is the old setup.

old setup:
I hope you didnt plug all of those things into the cig. lighter wiring without using an addt'l relay...

Not good for electrical system...
Old 11-26-2004, 05:06 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Igor911
I hope you didnt plug all of those things into the cig. lighter wiring without using an addt'l relay...

Not good for electrical system...
I only wired my cell charger into the cig lighter (which I don't use anyways)....the mp3 is wired into a different wiring set.

just out of curiosity though, why would wiring both into the cig lighter be a problem? In my old car I had one of those double adaptors for the lighter and used to run my discman and my cellphone on it at the same time...no problems. I would think that if there was a problem, the fuse would blow, right? Anyhow, didn't do that, but curious as to why you say that. What/where would you add a resistor?
Old 11-26-2004, 05:52 PM
† ErV †

In V3 you should tuck the wires behind the stereo. I have wires routed there, behind the headliner, side panels.. it's a pain sometimes but worth it.

Old 11-26-2004, 05:57 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by EvilRoadsVictim
In V3 you should tuck the wires behind the stereo. I have wires routed there, behind the headliner, side panels.. it's a pain sometimes but worth it.
yeah eventually I will hide them better...but this is better than how it was before.....once it warms up again I plan to really make it look good, and clean!
Old 11-26-2004, 11:59 PM

Here's my old iPod setup:

No pics of the new setup yet, but it's not much different, except the iPod is completely hidden now. I recently upgraded my HU to an Alpine CDA-9833, so I added the KCA-420i to the mix. Nice unit, although it's tough getting used to browsing my MP3s via the HU controls instead of on the iPod itself. Since I didn't need to have the iPod exposed anymore, I routed the cables into the top part of the armrest so the iPod is now completely out of view.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:44 AM

I added my XM to the console using an FM modulator installed behing the console. still need to do some more clean up, but it is much better than my previous 'wires everywhere' install

Old 11-27-2004, 03:43 PM
retired moderator

you guys with the automatics have it good....room to put stuff right in front of the shifter us 5-speed/6-speed guys would end up with bloody knuckles with the players mounted there
Old 11-27-2004, 07:43 PM

Nice work on the "home-made" mods once again, Josh.... I think its pretty darn neat and clean as it is.... ... although I gotta say, with all those receivers and MP3 players, ya sure must listen to a lot of crap when ya drive....

Hope ya had a good Thanksgiving....
Old 11-27-2004, 08:26 PM
retired moderator

without music, you can hear all the squeaks in the car thanks to our lousy roads...so the music is key