General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Has anyone used paint from www.paintscratch.com

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 07:28 PM

Has anyone used paint from www.paintscratch.com

I've used it before and here are my impressions.

Its expensive....30 bucks for a 12oz can of paint, 15 for a can of clearcoat.
I painted my grille body color(like stock 3rd gen se's). I did NOT use the paintscratch clearcoat, but one I bought at Pepboys(5 bucks instead of 15). The result is that it has chiped pretty bad. I'd say on the grille there are atleast 25 chips and I've even touched some of them up in the past.

Pros: Its very easy to use. The spray is very fine and really...its hard to tell I did it with a can over a factory spray. In fact, you can't tell at all(well minus the god damn chips)
The color matched perfectly. Its maybe....MAYBE a hair darker, but my car is 9 years old after all and it may very well have faded a bit.

Some thoughts on why its chipped? : Maybe I applied the paint to heavy? I did wait for it to dry, but I think I did heavy coats. Maybe because I used a clear coat by a different manufactuer?

How much do you think a shop or the dealer would charge to paint a spoiler? If its about 50 bucks....I'll have them do it.
Old 06-22-2002, 07:49 PM

I've used them, and wasn't that impressed. The pearl is a PITA to get right, and it cost be like $70.00 for 2 half ounce bottles. I put it on and like you did, I used the pep boys clear coat because there was no way I was going to pay 21.00 for a bottle of clearcoat and it turned out too pearly. I'm sure it would work fine for black, red, silver, white, or any other 1 coat color, but for pearl just buy some Cadillac pearl at Pep Boy's.
Old 06-22-2002, 08:06 PM

i ordered from towerpaint.com it was $15 for a 12oz spray can. I have to order the base and the top coat, seeing how the pearl white is a two step process. My front Stillen lip looks really good, with a slight over pearl look. It originally matched pretty good, but a few days later, the pearl must have kicked in.
Old 06-23-2002, 11:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Has anyone used paint from www.paintscratch.com

Originally posted by Mike S.
I've used it before and here are my impressions.

Its expensive....30 bucks for a 12oz can of paint, 15 for a can of clearcoat.
I painted my grille body color(like stock 3rd gen se's). I did NOT use the paintscratch clearcoat, but one I bought at Pepboys(5 bucks instead of 15). The result is that it has chiped pretty bad. I'd say on the grille there are atleast 25 chips and I've even touched some of them up in the past.

Pros: Its very easy to use. The spray is very fine and really...its hard to tell I did it with a can over a factory spray. In fact, you can't tell at all(well minus the god damn chips)
The color matched perfectly. Its maybe....MAYBE a hair darker, but my car is 9 years old after all and it may very well have faded a bit.

Some thoughts on why its chipped? : Maybe I applied the paint to heavy? I did wait for it to dry, but I think I did heavy coats. Maybe because I used a clear coat by a different manufactuer?

How much do you think a shop or the dealer would charge to paint a spoiler? If its about 50 bucks....I'll have them do it.

The reason why it could have chipped is that you used a different brand clearcoat that is my guess. I would always try to stay with the same brand of paint. Also from what I was told you do not want to try to mix enamel with laquer, and vice versa so I was told, but I am no expert.