General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How important is a manual tranny to you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 04:57 PM

How important is a manual tranny to you?

Just curious, because the manual is a strange beast in this day and age. I live in Philly and I still like the manual, doesn't seem to bother me at all. For example, we got a very late start yesterday to the shore and it was a nightmare all the way from the bridge. I looked at my ODO and 1 hour later we got 29 miles!!! Needless to say, it was 1st gear, 2nd gear, neutral, 1st gear, 2nd gear, neutral....

I think I would still want a manual in anything up to a mid-sized sedan. When you get up there, would you really want a manual in a full-sized sedan, like 745 or S500? Probably not. It's interesting to me that 6-spd autos have arrived on the scene and that the tranny lever is back to the steering column on the 745 and even Honda CRV. That 745 bad-boy has alot of avant garde features in it...would have to be a CEO to drive something like that haha gotta love a sedan that's over 4400 lbs and does 5.9 0-60 and 26 mpg on the highway....sheesh
Old 06-23-2002, 05:03 PM

Re: How important is a manual tranny to you?

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine
Just curious, because the manual is a strange beast in this day and age. I live in Philly and I still like the manual, doesn't seem to bother me at all. For example, we got a very late start yesterday to the shore and it was a nightmare all the way from the bridge. I looked at my ODO and 1 hour later we got 29 miles!!! Needless to say, it was 1st gear, 2nd gear, neutral, 1st gear, 2nd gear, neutral....

I think I would still want a manual in anything up to a mid-sized sedan. When you get up there, would you really want a manual in a full-sized sedan, like 745 or S500? Probably not. It's interesting to me that 6-spd autos have arrived on the scene and that the tranny lever is back to the steering column on the 745 and even Honda CRV. That 745 bad-boy has alot of avant garde features in it...would have to be a CEO to drive something like that haha gotta love a sedan that's over 4400 lbs and does 5.9 0-60 and 26 mpg on the highway....sheesh
I love manuals. I think that with autos being so popular now, the manual is a rarity, and even a luxury item. It also defines the real sports car. Whenever I see someone drive a stick, I give them a thumbsup. It's very rare to see them anymore...except on 80's Festivas and Civics
Old 06-23-2002, 05:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I live in Miami and rush hour driving is a b!itch, but still wouldn't want to get an Auto. I know of two friends my age (27) that bought auto's because they were tired of having to shift all the time. To me, that means that they were never enthusiasts to start with, just cheap bastards that wanted get the cheaper price of a manual.
Old 06-23-2002, 05:46 PM

i thought the 745i has the tranny lever to be in the same place it was before.. but they just changed it to a round dial..?
Old 06-23-2002, 06:11 PM

Re: How important is a manual tranny to you?

I flew a 1000 miles away to get a manual. I have owned one auto in my life and probably won't own another until I'm much older. My reasoning is simple. I don't want my car doing something I can myself. And auto-shifting doesn't cut it.
Old 06-23-2002, 06:57 PM
mb1

I have seen the light...

I will never get another auto in my life...
Old 06-23-2002, 08:13 PM

A manual tranny is a must for me. Driving a auto is way to boring.
Old 06-23-2002, 08:41 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Must have a 5 speed...
Old 06-23-2002, 09:35 PM

A S500 with a 6sp would be the pimpest thing ever. Didnt you used to beable to get 7series bmw's with a 5/6sp back in the mid 90's? I wish MB would let the world have a 6/6sp option on some of its larger cars. I was in Eu for a few months last year and everything was stick, even city busses. Im sure over there most all of the mb come with a stick, why cant htey make one for our gas powered cars
Old 06-23-2002, 09:40 PM

I don't care what I get as long as its fast
Old 06-24-2002, 03:20 AM

Originally posted by Champagne97
i thought the 745i has the tranny lever to be in the same place it was before.. but they just changed it to a round dial..?
I found out that dial is supposed to control the car's various systems via a menu on a screen. The tranny is controlled by a lever on the steering column or buttons on the steering wheel I think.

Maybe a 6-spd auto on a big car like that beats a manual...just the level of people who would ride in a 745 may make an auto better.

Still, the clutch is good for us ordiary folks with our ordinary cars! As they saying goes, let's work.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:59 AM

I like the stick. I dont know, but the idea of shifting through the gears and having all that power (providing you have a powerful car) at your finger tips, its just a awsome feeling. Driving in traffic might be a pain but when your driving at night and you downshift then punch it, hearing the engine roar to life while the cool wind blows in your face, theres no better feeling in the world ( and i have never drivin a stickshift). I dont know if any of you guys have seen Toy Story 2 but theres a part where the three three eyed aliens tell buzz to use the wand of power. Thought it was kinda funny
Old 06-24-2002, 07:09 AM

I've had a drivers licence for 30 years now and have owned only one auto - for about six months in the 70's.

Driving a stick makes you a better driver. You're much more aware of your vehicle's performance and traffic flow.
Old 06-24-2002, 07:19 AM
//M5'ver

we are talking about cars.. not your choice of girl friends

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
I don't care what I get as long as its fast

Old 06-24-2002, 08:20 AM
I'm so hood

The only rides I'd opt for an auto would be luxo-barges, or trucks. And I'm not a big truck guy (if I stick around here, probably inevitably have a winter beater truck once I get a nicer car, but...)

When I was looking for a car a year ago, I didn't even consider automatic maximas. I fall asleep when I drive autos, and find myself not paying as much attention to the road.

Unfortunately it seems the automatic is HEAVILY favored here in my city in general (I've only seen three other manual maximas total, all generations...the service guy at my dealership about three weeks ago said out of all the 2K2s they've received, one was a 6-speed). It frustrates me for three reasons:
- auto creep in traffic (that's not bad)
- variable speed going up and down hills (THAT crap really stews me.
Getting behind someone in an auto on an uphill, going to pass
while still maintaining my constant speed, and then having them
drive up on my side on the downhill)
- lack of attention. Everyone in this city sleeps at green lights
for at least 5 seconds it seems. Me, I'm always watching other
traffic + lights at intersections.

It's sad what's happened to the "standard" transmission over the years. The biggest slap-in-the-face is autoshifting. I guess I just love the third pedal a bit too much
Old 06-24-2002, 08:26 AM

Manual for LIFE!

Well, depends on the size of the car.. Let's take the Benz E55 and BMW M5. One is auto only, the other is 6 speed manual. Those cars weigh in at around 3800-4000 punds. To me, that weight of vehicle is the point where'd I'd switch to an automatic. If the car weighs less, manual, more, automatic. I don't really mind that the E55 is an auto. An S class Benz or 7 series Bimmer would have to be exclusively auto, which they are. They're just too big to be nimble enuff for the manual tranny dynamics.

DW
Old 06-24-2002, 10:38 AM

See the sig.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:55 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

i got the auto and regret it. Next car will DEFINATELY be stick. I live in NYC where traffic is everywhere, you just can't avoid it.. but it's okay. I know people with manuals here and they are fine with it. I'd only get an auto if i was going to build a drag car.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:14 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Manual is a must

Since I have been driving, 13 now I am 29, I have owned one auto. I got rid of it for that EXACT reason...it was an auto.

I actually prefer a manual in traffic. I hate riding the brakes when I am "creeping" rather just let the clutch out get a roll and feed gas and gear.

I am gonna be in a world of hurt in about 10 year though. Seems like manuals are going the way of the Dodo. Not sure if driving will be fun anymore at that point...I need a 4 door and manual.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:02 PM

i was born and raised in India and out there, autos have entered the market about 5 yrs ago and still 90% of the cars on the road are manual. even the public buses and the massive double-decker buses are manual transmission. when i came to the US, i was really surprized by the number of autos on the street and even the worst traffic here is not half as bad as that in cities like Bombay in India. and considering i learned to drive in that traffic on a manual, i will always prefer a manual to an auto. i love my 5spd GXE
i have a habit of peeking into every car as i walk through the parking lot to see if its manual or auto. out here in the US, at times i never find a manual. in april on my visit to india, i tried the same thing and i couldnt find an auto in the parking lot
Old 06-24-2002, 03:52 PM
starcruzer

Manual Transmissions Rule

Driving with a manual is part of the total driving experience. I had an MGB when I was 18 and that hooked me on driving and manual transmissions. I reverted back to a manual once, but never again. I looked for 2 months before I found the Maxima I wanted with a 5 speed. Definitely worth the wait. I will say that the Nissan manual is not as crisp and precise as some manuals I've had (like the Acura and Honda) but I wouldn't trade it.

Old 06-24-2002, 03:59 PM
I'm needing a caw

Driving an auto wouldn't be so bad if Nissan at least offered a decent auto tranny. As of now, they still use the basic 3sp + overdrive? That sucks. Plus no triptronic. Acura has a 5sp auto and Mercedes has a 6sp auto. Maybe Nissan is just forgoing the 5 sp auto and ramping up for the CVTs now.

Actually a paddle shifted 6 sp w/ an electronic clutch would be my choice(if it was available for maximas)
Old 06-24-2002, 04:25 PM

Personally I wouldnt want anything but a Manual. I love driving manuals, it gives you more to do when driving and increases your attention while driving. As for autos, If I was 50 years old I would get one. IF i was to get a auto I would get one in a GM or BMW cause by far they are the best auto's on the market.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:20 PM
Sports Button FTW

i haven't messed with the manual to a great degree but the little time that i have dealt with it, i have just fallen in love...so much in love i'm converting my car to stick....yea i thought of selling car and all...yea i know its a lot of money, yea i know...i know....i thought it out...much better for ME this way....
Old 06-25-2002, 05:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Manual tranny is VERY important!!

Hey people, i live in Australia and have a 5 speed 96 maxima (its an A32(4th Gen), but the lights, boot, bonnet etc. like the I30 infiniti) and i have never in my life seen another 5 speed maxima, and to make matters even worse the A33(5th gen) in australia ISN'T EVEN AVAILABLE IN MANUAL, so that could make it difficult to get one cause i'm keen to upgrade to an A33 :P. this brings me to another question, is the a32 5speed compatible with the A33. Also does anyone know who i could purchase an A33 5 speed off of??

Thanx Heaps
Old 06-25-2002, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP
As for autos, If I was 50 years old I would get one. IF i was to get a auto I would get one in a GM or BMW cause by far they are the best auto's on the market.
...FWIW, from someone who'll be 47 next week (fighteningly close to 50) - I'll keep driving a manual until I get arthritis in my left leg so bad that I can't use a clutch.

And oddly enough, GM makes autos for BMW - which would be enough to make me reconsider buying a BMW with an auto.