Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

Hiding your NOS kit.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 08:02 PM
Ford Only.

Hiding your NOS kit.

Anyone have pics of how they hid their NOS kits in the trunk? I am curious if you can put the bottle where the spare tire goes and put the mat over it and put the spare tire on top of the mat, so when you open the trunk you dont see anything but the spare tire? any input?
Old 02-24-2004, 08:32 PM

i would suggest install the bottle and everything the way u want it then buy a big gym bag big enough to fit over the bottle and able to zip it up, cut a hole in the bottom of the gym bag fit it over the bottle and stands put some odds and ends in the bag to cuver the bottle a bit and zip up the bag... and ur all done with..thats what i plan on doing.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:45 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by DaThrillr
i would suggest install the bottle and everything the way u want it then buy a big gym bag big enough to fit over the bottle and able to zip it up, cut a hole in the bottom of the gym bag fit it over the bottle and stands put some odds and ends in the bag to cuver the bottle a bit and zip up the bag... and ur all done with..thats what i plan on doing.
hahaha, that is tight. I was also thinking about using a Bazooka sub box.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Old 02-24-2004, 09:11 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by Jime

ahhhahahahaha, that is the best ish I have seen. only thing is if you get pulled over and the cop asks, "whats in the bag?" what do you say? haha. Atleast, you can turn it off and on. is it legal that way? passengers also might not like it much.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:14 AM

well the line has to be disconnected to be legal so u better work fast as soon as you see lights
Old 02-25-2004, 03:18 AM

Nitrous is not illegal where I live so I can not only have it connected I can leave the bottle open if I want.

However, I use it mainly at the track and remove when I get home, its going to be mounted on a quick disconnect plate for this season.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:08 AM
I am Roid Rage

I think it violates a DOT code to have an un-capped bottle in the cabin. By capped, I mean a cap that prevents the valve from breaking off and turning the bottle into a missle, not a cap that regulates flow. Of course, if it is a genuine violation, which it is in commercial enterprises, I doubt a cop would enforce it.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:40 AM

I did exactly what Jime did. Except for in the trunk.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:19 AM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by teejnut
I did exactly what Jime did. Except for in the trunk.
nice, you are in SoCal too...ever been harassed? do you have gauges on the pillar?
Old 02-25-2004, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by dmontzmax
nice, you are in SoCal too...ever been harassed? do you have gauges on the pillar?
Nope never been harassed. But then again never been pulled over in the Max. I hope I don't get harassed, cause I usually have the bottle hooked up not always open though.

I have gauges in the extra DIN below my HU.

I've always wondered what the fine or consequences was if you did get caught with a nitrous bottle hooked up. Any ideas?
Old 02-25-2004, 11:41 AM
Ford Only.

Nope never been harassed. But then again never been pulled over in the Max. I hope I don't get harassed, cause I usually have the bottle hooked up not always open though.

I have gauges in the extra DIN below my HU.

I've always wondered what the fine or consequences was if you did get caught with a nitrous bottle hooked up. Any ideas?
I was going to ask the same thing

Where do you buy that bag?
Old 02-25-2004, 01:34 PM

I was going to ask the same thing

Where do you buy that bag?
Yeah I've asked and no one really knows the consequences. I hope it'd just be a fine... a small one I hope...

Umm, I went to sport chalet and found the cheapest bag they had. I think it was like $10-$15 something like that.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:02 PM

you really want to find out how legal it is????

then when you see a cop at the local 7/11 ask him.

officer i want to install a nitrous kit for track use. is it legal to have the bottle in the trunk at all times or do i have to remove it. can i disconnect my nitrous feed line ????
or call the CHP and ask them
Old 02-25-2004, 02:21 PM

yup just calle dfor you don. as long as its not connected hiding it is another story .

you can put it in the trunk buy a junk @ss sub and you can have an encolsure made for it that looks like a speaker box. solenoids and everything else can be easily hidden in the engine bay. in this case fule lines is your firend.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:45 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by jdmmax
yup just calle dfor you don. as long as its not connected hiding it is another story .

you can put it in the trunk buy a junk @ss sub and you can have an encolsure made for it that looks like a speaker box. solenoids and everything else can be easily hidden in the engine bay. in this case fule lines is your firend.
haha, dude...before I read this I was just talking about my Bazooka sub in the 97, how it could fit in there. PERFECT and I can mount it stationary, just need a cheap dummy speaker and some partical board and carpet.

BTW: Thanks for calling dude.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:15 PM

thanks for finding out!

did they tell you what would happen if they did catch you?

hiding the bottle and the solenoids isn't too hard. its just when they look inside and see the nitrous pressure gauge.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:01 PM

i like the idea about putting the bottle in the spare wheel well...then putting the trunk mat over it and putting your spare in the trunk on top of the mat
Old 02-25-2004, 06:23 PM
Ford Only.

thanks for finding out!

did they tell you what would happen if they did catch you?

hiding the bottle and the solenoids isn't too hard. its just when they look inside and see the nitrous pressure gauge.

I am going to try and find a small gauge and hide it in the ash tray the 3rd gen ash tray is bigger than the 4th gens (just in case you are thinking how is he going to do that). I will put the triple gauge pod I have on and put water temp, fuel press, and EGT in there...I want to be stealth! The switches will be in a place NOBODY will think of.

So far here are the ideas:

1. Gym Bag - pretty cool, but not good enough IMO.

2. Fake Speaker Box - really leaning towards this one.

3. Spare tire area - I am afraid the bottle will be just a tad too tall once mounted. Plus if the spare tires is on top of the matte, whats under it?

4. Mounting a piece of partical board against the back seat, just far enough out for the bottle to fit behind the back seat and in between the board. On the showing side of the board I will mount my amps. I dont think the board has to come back far. This is done on my 97, not to hide anything but just for the amps to mount on, looks really factory.

So...which do you think is the least obvious?
Old 02-25-2004, 10:01 PM

buy a smaller bottle
Old 02-26-2004, 12:42 AM

man you can't hide stuff from cops. if they want to search your car they will.

cop asked me if he can search my car.
i said what are you looking for.
he said anything illegal.
i was like d@mn uhhh i think im pushing it.

ok go ahead i had nothing to hide
Old 02-26-2004, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by jdmmax
man you can't hide stuff from cops. if they want to search your car they will.

cop asked me if he can search my car.
i said what are you looking for.
he said anything illegal.
i was like d@mn uhhh i think im pushing it.

ok go ahead i had nothing to hide

my main purpose of the bag is just so that everytime i open my trunk everyone around doesn't see it. and if you say no to a cop who wants to search your car i'm sure he'll give you more headaches and crap.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:49 AM

Exactly, I do it more to keep prying eyes at the track from seeing what I have as well as anywhere else I happen to be.

For the same reason I usually keep my solenoids etc out of plain view as well as the rest of the system. The lines are easy to hide under the hood with black wire loom.

I even had an NHRA inspector ask me why I was running in the class I was in with no power adders. He didn't even know I had nitrous installed after looking under the hood. Of course anyone who knows what they are looking for will find it but the casual looker most folks at the track thought my car was stock. Which is exactly what I want them to think. Of course after you make a 12 sec pass they know it ain't stock.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:32 AM
Ford Only.

This is true, but if I can conceal it in a speaker box or in such a way to where he opens the trunk and sees it is VERY clean, cause my trunk is always clean. And just sees two speaker boxes and pokes around and doesnt find anything else I am good. Believe me you can get away with stuff. When I was around 15 y/o I had a knife in my sock, we were at a ditch party and it got ransacked by the cops. This cop was searching me up and down and ran his hand right over the knife not ONCE, but TWICE. If I was some psycho I could of pulled it out and stabbed him in the neck and he wouldnt of known. When I was 18 (keep in mind I was saved at 18, before then was crazy, so dont hold this against me). I had a 1/2oz of weed in the gas tank flap, I got pulled over and they searched down the entire car, even brought out the dog and they did not even check there. They ended up letting me go and I was sweating bullets. When I got arrested they searched my house, I kept my stash in my couch, I would flip up my couch, it had a hole in the bottom and I would keep a pound or so in there, they searched the entire house and DID NOT find it. You can hide stuff from cops, I dont know if it is luck or not, but you can.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:38 AM

This is true, but if I can conceal it in a speaker box or in such a way to where he opens the trunk and sees it is VERY clean, cause my trunk is always clean. And just sees two speaker boxes and pokes around and doesnt find anything else I am good. Believe me you can get away with stuff. When I was around 15 y/o I had a knife in my sock, we were at a ditch party and it got ransacked by the cops. This cop was searching me up and down and ran his hand right over the knife not ONCE, but TWICE. If I was some psycho I could of pulled it out and stabbed him in the neck and he wouldnt of known. When I was 18 (keep in mind I was saved at 18, before then was crazy, so dont hold this against me). I had a 1/2oz of weed in the gas tank flap, I got pulled over and they searched down the entire car, even brought out the dog and they did not even check there. They ended up letting me go and I was sweating bullets. When I got arrested they searched my house, I kept my stash in my couch, I would flip up my couch, it had a hole in the bottom and I would keep a pound or so in there, they searched the entire house and DID NOT find it. You can hide stuff from cops, I dont know if it is luck or not, but you can.
gangsta...

where you planning to put the nitrous gauge? cause i think that'd be the hardest to hide, cause if you put in the glove, ash tray, center console, etc i'm sure a cop would search those places. just curous.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Ford Only.

gangsta...

where you planning to put the nitrous gauge? cause i think that'd be the hardest to hide, cause if you put in the glove, ash tray, center console, etc i'm sure a cop would search those places. just curous.
One of those places. Actually, if I recall they CANNOT search your car. You CAN say NO. They will hold you up, but if they do not have a search warrant they cannot search. They CAN bring a dog out and run him around the car and that is good enough he can detect firearms and/or drugs. Also, if you do let them search your car and you keep your glove box locked they have to ask you while searching the car "can we open your glove box? or can we look in the trunk also? you have rights. I just dont know what the law is for nos.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:55 AM

Yeah, I think legally they don't have the right to search, but I'm sure they would haggle you a lot more...
Old 02-26-2004, 10:58 AM
Ford Only.

Yeah, I think legally they don't have the right to search, but I'm sure they would haggle you a lot more...
yeah. I just sent an email to a cop I know, he works from 11am-6am for the LAPD Rampart Division. I sent him a link to this thread also, I hope he can give some good feedback.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:17 AM

well i only got searched once and that was while me a a friend were lining up to race. but we didn't go yet and got poped. they had nothing on us and let us go. but there was a security guard that saw us racing a few times before. so we could have really gotten phucked over if we were ****s to cops. got a 30min lecture and we went on our way.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:36 PM

or modify the n20 guage to say volts or some other non-n20 related guage. hehe
Old 02-28-2004, 05:19 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Good idea if you want to go through the trouble Nismo.
Check this page out for some ideas on hiding n2o:
http://www.gafba.com/articles/article.asp?tid=4

I know it's a LS1, but it is very informative to us in some ways.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:58 PM

Just dont act like a smart *** at a border crossing, they have the right to there you car apart for suspecion (dont know how to spell) for illegal firearms, drugs, and whatever else. A friend of mine had a max that was taken apart, panels, dash, seats, all just cause he was crossing mexicans over and go caught, so they went into seeing if had anything more than someone in the trunk. Its Fuxked up.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:04 PM

haha i was thinking of that f & f seen when vin had all those bottles inside of his seat. Whatsup with that?? I never really caught onto that...
Old 03-01-2004, 07:06 PM

http://www.raceworx.com/hidden_systems.html

check this out a whole list of ****
Old 03-02-2004, 07:26 AM

When I was considering getting an NX kit I was going to plan to hide it by using a sub box.

Was going to make a box out of thin thin mdf, stick an old JL free air sub in the box.. carpet it and stick it over the bottle.

Gone.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:43 AM

my bottle is in the same place the Jime's is, however i just throw a tall over the bottle instead of the gym bag idea.