Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

What causes intake detenation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 01:22 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

What causes intake detenation?

Over the weekend I saw another spraying max back fired thru his intake, it pop off his intake from the MAF and the coupling but fortunately for him, it didn't do any damage other than dragging his cone filter a few hundred yards.
Now I'm trying to figure why it happen so it won't happen to me. I understand if u run too lean, it cause backfire/detentaion in the cyclinder usually out the exhaust but with it backfiring thru the intake, which means the mixure ignited in the IM, what would cause that?
I talked to the guy and he thinks that he was just spraying straight fuel down the IM since he found his ground lead to his nitrous soleniod to be disconnected, now if no nitrous was mixed in with the fuel, he would definately be spraying just a mist of fuel but the question is, is the IM or engine hot enough to ignite the fuel before the it got to the cyclinders? Could this happen or would it be something else like?
Old 08-09-2005, 04:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is the NX definition of a backfire.

Q. What is nitrous backfire?

A. Nitrous backfires can be caused by two situations. 1. A nitrous system that is two rich or a system that atomizes the fuel poorly, thus causing pooling or puddling of fuel in the intake manifold. 2. A system that is operated too lean.

I believe what caused this backfire is exactly what you described. Spraying straight fuel into the intake. The nitrous is required to atomize the fuel, without it the fuel will definately puddle in the intake. The ignition comes from the cylinder because the mixture ignites before the intake valves close and the resulting small explosion in the cylinder then blows back into the intake and ignites the fuel laying there.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:55 PM

so how can we prevent this?
Old 08-09-2005, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by NisMo-Max
so how can we prevent this?
First you make sure all your connections are tight. Leaving the nitrous solenoid ground off is not as bad as leaving the fuel solenoid ground off but almost.

Thats why I use the Maximizer with a wideband, it will shut the system down automatically if the a/f ratio suddenly goes nuts.

However, you should also know that when something is wrong to back off until you correct it. Running that much extra fuel without nitrous would result in greatly reduced power and is a sure indication that there is a problem. If the fuel solenoid ground had of been disconnected he probably would have lost the engine.

Thats why its important to know your setup and understand how everything works. Its also why I tell everyone they should do the install themselves so they get to understand what connects to where and why and do a few simple checks to make sure it all works before hitting it for the first time. Its not really difficult to understand but the results of error can be costly.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:55 AM

ok so other than having bad electrical connections, what are the chances for example of a NX shark nozzle or a solonoid to mechanically malfunction and not spray nitrous but only fuel?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:55 AM

Anything can happen, I had a fuel solenoid seize. NX fixed it if course because they are guaranteed for life but they don't fix your engine if you blow it.

The nozzle won't malfunction there are no moving parts but it can get plugged or partially plugged from dirt so its extremely important to have a filter and make sure no contamination enters when changing nozzles etc.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:41 AM

cool. i just had a conversation with some guy at a local shop, he suggest i do a dry kit since i am only going to stay below 75shot. to just get a fuel pump. My goal is the $440 nx wet kit because i thought a wet is the safets rout. but now im thinking about intake backfire. Jime, once i am spraying and the nitrous tank gets empty or the pressure of it drops, wont I spray mostly fuel? and wont that cause possible backfire? backfire and leaness are my main fears.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:36 PM
DONE

if your worried about running out your bottle, get a pressure gauge. i would say do a wet set up. it's what i run and i have had no problems. i like it because i know that there is enough fuel. i also recommend to everyone that wants to spray nitrous install it themselves. it has helped me a lot in knowing how everything works. the only problem i have had was when i first tried to spray i didn't pay attention and had my lines hooked up backwards(nitrous jet on the fuel side and vis versa). switched them and it has be flawless.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:35 PM

cool thanx for the advice. thats wat im doing now. im looking for a good price on a pressure gauge and a pod. i also gotta buy another line for the gauge rite?
Old 12-05-2005, 10:01 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Also the reason I brought this subject up was because I ahd a VI, I was concern of the nitrous "puddling" that some says occurs while others don't.... With a stock IM this wouldn't have been a issue to me.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:48 AM

Well i assume since the vi has more complicated runners it runs the chance of puddling? compared to the 4th gen IM.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:52 AM

If any of you guys want that $440 NX kit(Wet) I have one for sale. Mine includes accesories that are sold separate.

The extras I have are all the safety equipment for the track( pressure gauge on bottle, blow down tube and 3000psi cap)

Bottle heater, and a XRP fuel tee. The NX fuel tee is crap.

I have the jets for 35, 50 and 75 shot.

I will also include the MSD digital window switch. I heard you can send it in to MSD and they will make it work on a maxima.

I don't know if I can sell on here, If I can't mods can go ahead and delete this post. If I can PM me a offer. If you are local the bottle will be filled with nitrous when you pick it up.

I don't plan to run nitrous on my altima anymore. If you want I can include an Injen WAI that might fit a maxima that has the nozzle on it.

I will also include 2 bottle brackets. On is the NX one and another is a $65 adjustable bracket. If you are local I'll give you a price discount since I won't have to ship it.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:17 PM

This is why it's either direct port or dry for me.
Single fogger is too much of a risk in my opinion.