Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

Looking for a good Nitrous Kit/Set-up.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:41 AM

Looking for a good Nitrous Kit/Set-up.

I havent found any threads on the 3rd gens ve that are up to date. Hey guys. I am now in the market for a Nos kit for my 94 VE 3.0 manual trans. I have a CAI/Y-PIPE/HIGH FLOW EXHAUST/NEW INJECTORS/KNOCK/COILS/ECT. My VE is strong and sound. I am looking for a clutch upgrade also. Now i am new to the NOS thing but know my way around an engine. Could someone lead me in the right direction or possibly a certian kit. I am wanting to go all out and not ***** foot around with starter kits but i want it to last. Is there a best bang for the buck deal anywhere. What shot range should i stay around and should i go wet/dry.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Thanatos
I havent found any threads on the 3rd gens ve that are up to date. Hey guys. I am now in the market for a Nos kit for my 94 VE 3.0 manual trans. I have a CAI/Y-PIPE/HIGH FLOW EXHAUST/NEW INJECTORS/KNOCK/COILS/ECT. My VE is strong and sound. I am looking for a clutch upgrade also. Now i am new to the NOS thing but know my way around an engine. Could someone lead me in the right direction or possibly a certian kit. I am wanting to go all out and not ***** foot around with starter kits but i want it to last. Is there a best bang for the buck deal anywhere. What shot range should i stay around and should i go wet/dry.
You want to go wet if you want to get the most out of the setup. Dry kits just up the fuel pressure to supply the extra fuel needed and overtax the injectors. Wet kits supply both nitrous and fuel at the stock pump pressure.

There are numerous kits (wet and dry) and they all work. However I like NX because they were the first to produce the wet kit and they do not even sell a dry kit. They also have a lifetime warranty on their solenoids and will rebuild them free every year if you pay the shiping. They sell in the $400-450 range for the 20923 kit and if you later decide to upgrade to 2 stage etc etc it will all work together.

I am currently connecting up a 2 stage NX kit with an FJO progressive controller to run a 200 shot (100+100).

If you have bucks to throw away go for a direct port kit but I have run a 200 shot single stage without any problems so I don't think a direct port kit is really necessary.

Start off with a 35 shot and work up, even a 35 is a kick in the crotch and will help you learn about how it works without blowing your engine because you messed up in the installation or bypassed some safety features.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jime
You want to go wet if you want to get the most out of the setup. Dry kits just up the fuel pressure to supply the extra fuel needed and overtax the injectors. Wet kits supply both nitrous and fuel at the stock pump pressure.

There are numerous kits (wet and dry) and they all work. However I like NX because they were the first to produce the wet kit and they do not even sell a dry kit. They also have a lifetime warranty on their solenoids and will rebuild them free every year if you pay the shiping. They sell in the $400-450 range for the 20923 kit and if you later decide to upgrade to 2 stage etc etc it will all work together.

I am currently connecting up a 2 stage NX kit with an FJO progressive controller to run a 200 shot (100+100).

If you have bucks to throw away go for a direct port kit but I have run a 200 shot single stage without any problems so I don't think a direct port kit is really necessary.

Start off with a 35 shot and work up, even a 35 is a kick in the crotch and will help you learn about how it works without blowing your engine because you messed up in the installation or bypassed some safety features.
Thanks for the reply and great info. I was wanting to go wet anyhow. I have heard alot of good things about the NX wet kits and was wandering about the jetting. Is there a kit that i can get that will allow me to start out at a low setting and let me get up to the 100+ range.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Thanatos
Thanks for the reply and great info. I was wanting to go wet anyhow. I have heard alot of good things about the NX wet kits and was wandering about the jetting. Is there a kit that i can get that will allow me to start out at a low setting and let me get up to the 100+ range.
I believe that kit I quoted (20923) comes with 35-50-75 jets so great to start with. Extra jets you can order for any shot you want. Install is pretty easy if you take your time. Most guys find the bottle install takes the longest because you have to decide where you want it and a spot you can drill 4 holes that you can access underneath to put the nuts on.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:40 PM

Also what about plugs. I am currently running NGK Iridium BKR5EIX-11. Will these be sufficiant or will i need something else.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:44 PM

I run BKR6EIX's for up to a 100 shot and 7's for anything higher, both gapped at .035. Wise move using the Iridium's, they work great with nitrous but copper plugs work ok too. Just don't use the stock plugs with nitrous they don't play well together.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jime
I believe that kit I quoted (20923) comes with 35-50-75 jets so great to start with. Extra jets you can order for any shot you want. Install is pretty easy if you take your time. Most guys find the bottle install takes the longest because you have to decide where you want it and a spot you can drill 4 holes that you can access underneath to put the nuts on.
Yeh. I believe the install should be a breeze because i am very picky about how things are done to my cars. I have been installing car audio professionally for 12 years and building engines for about the same. I have just been skidish about the whole nitrous thing. I dont really know why. I guess i have been more of an all motor type.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:33 PM

This will be my first NOS set-up on a engine. I have built some stout engines without it. The VE is a complex one. Are there any engine build/stroker kits for the VE? Like rods/pistons/stronger wrist pins or cams. Is their even a comlpete rebuild kit for these. I have a second VE i would love to make a monster out of.