Benefits of exhaust cut-out? - Maxima Forums

Go Back  Maxima Forums > Advanced Performance > Nitrous
Reload this Page >

Benefits of exhaust cut-out?

Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

Benefits of exhaust cut-out?

Old 05-27-2009, 04:43 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delafield, WI
Posts: 486
Benefits of exhaust cut-out?

I posted a thread here about where to mount it: http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-location.html

Here's my thoughts. Help me out if it would be pointless. My car's exhaust is stock. My wife likes it that way since its our daily driver. I was thinking a cutout either right after the Y pipe or after the resonator in the B pipe would help me out when I'm spraying at the track. I'm assuming my stock exhaust is hurting the 75 shot power potential. Would a cut out help me out in this scenario? Then the car would be quiet as can be when I'm not at the track and not spraying. Any thoughts?
jr schultz is offline  
Old 05-27-2009, 07:08 PM
  #2  
Turbo 3.5
iTrader: (69)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 7,796
just run it in place of the cat, and yes it will help
t6378tp is offline  
Old 05-27-2009, 08:14 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delafield, WI
Posts: 486
I need my cat to pass emissions where I live. Is there any room to mount it before the cat? Maybe just after the cat is what I have to do.
jr schultz is offline  
Old 05-28-2009, 06:59 PM
  #4  
Turbo 3.5
iTrader: (69)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 7,796
just have them put flanges on the cat and cutout and swap them back and forth for the track
t6378tp is offline  
Old 05-28-2009, 08:28 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delafield, WI
Posts: 486
Originally Posted by t6378tp View Post
just have them put flanges on the cat and cutout and swap them back and forth for the track
Good idea. Thanx!
jr schultz is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 08:53 AM
  #6  
NWP Engineering.com
iTrader: (128)
 
Aaron92SE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Walstonburg, NC
Posts: 14,068
And in my experience, the cutout is going to leak a tiny bit. I sometimes put Ultra Copper RTV around the plate, but that doesn't last too long before it starts leaking again. Also, without a cat and with a slightly leaking cutout, expect your car to sound crappy. But when it's open, expect it to sound pretty mean!

So your best bet to still have a quiet stock exhaust system that sounds exactly like stock, swap the cutout in and out when you need it. If it turns out that you and the wife don't mind the noise it makes with the cutout in place and closed, then leave it in. But mine has flanges on it so I can swap it out with the cat if I wanted to. But I always leave my cutout in place. I can care less what my car sounds like as long as it beats the car next to me.



Also, here is my 3.5 with the cutout open. VQ35 with headwork, cams, headers, and equal length mandrel bent Ypipe:
Aaron92SE is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 12:18 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delafield, WI
Posts: 486
Aaron92se...Sweet car! Sounds mean and is fast! Here's what I decided to do to please my wife and mother nature. My car doesn't have an o2 sensor behind the main cat, so I am going to have an exhaust shop cut off my resonator, move the cat back a little bit, and then put the cut-out where the cat was. Then I don't have to change out the cat every time I want to use the cut-out, and the deleted resonator will give my car a slightly better tone than stock.
jr schultz is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 01:25 PM
  #8  
NWP Engineering.com
iTrader: (128)
 
Aaron92SE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Walstonburg, NC
Posts: 14,068
Originally Posted by jr schultz View Post
Aaron92se...Sweet car! Sounds mean and is fast! Here's what I decided to do to please my wife and mother nature. My car doesn't have an o2 sensor behind the main cat, so I am going to have an exhaust shop cut off my resonator, move the cat back a little bit, and then put the cut-out where the cat was. Then I don't have to change out the cat every time I want to use the cut-out, and the deleted resonator will give my car a slightly better tone than stock.
That will work if you have enough room underneath your car. On my 3rd gen, my cat sits in a recessed area meant for it. If I moved it further back, it will hang down way too low.
Aaron92SE is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 05:31 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 763
I think I need to invest in one of these.. Good info Aaron, looks like your car is running strong! Sounds like a beast!!
Juiced SE-R is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 08:11 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delafield, WI
Posts: 486
Originally Posted by Aaron92SE View Post
That will work if you have enough room underneath your car. On my 3rd gen, my cat sits in a recessed area meant for it. If I moved it further back, it will hang down way too low.
I still may do what you did, since it would be a little cheaper. But, if I go with the other way, the cat will be able to sit in the area where the resonator is. Should be enough room there. Anyone with a 5th Gen confirm this?
jr schultz is offline  
Old 06-05-2009, 06:26 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delafield, WI
Posts: 486
Just an update...I did the cut-out the way I was advised in the above posts. $26 for the cut-out from Summit and $20 to have the flanges welded on. Getting the old cat off was a pain because of the rusted bolts, but I'm happy with the results. Best $46 I ever spent on my exhaust! I'm sure this will improve my times at the dragstrip...New nitrous times coming soon.
jr schultz is offline  
Old 09-27-2009, 12:33 PM
  #12  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
Sorry to hijack your thread. I'm new here and i dont know why i can't create a new topic.

Will a exhaust cut-out, just after the cat cause i've got a o2 sensor on it, will be benefic on a 3.0 with only a ypipe and a ram air intake or a 2.5" catback will be better?

Thanks
Jean Seb is offline  
Old 09-27-2009, 01:09 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 739
Originally Posted by Jean Seb View Post
Sorry to hijack your thread. I'm new here and i dont know why i can't create a new topic.

Will a exhaust cut-out, just after the cat cause i've got a o2 sensor on it, will be benefic on a 3.0 with only a ypipe and a ram air intake or a 2.5" catback will be better?

Thanks
wha??
perkman87 is offline  
Old 09-27-2009, 03:35 PM
  #14  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
Sorry if you dont understand, i dont speak english very well.

Mainly my question was; witch exhaust setup will be the best with only bolt-on, no tune on a vq30de-k.

1.Exhaust cutout just after the cat or
2. a complete 2.5" catback. or

The gain will be noticeable over the stock exhaust?


Last edited by Jean Seb; 09-27-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Jean Seb is offline  
Old 09-27-2009, 03:54 PM
  #15  
VQ30 DE T
iTrader: (41)
 
accordingtou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,162
Originally Posted by t6378tp View Post
just run it in place of the cat, and yes it will help
Originally Posted by Jean Seb View Post
Sorry if you dont understand, i dont speak english very well.

Mainly my question was; witch exhaust setup will be the best with only bolt-on, no tune on a vq30de-k.

1.Exhaust cutout just after the cat or
2. a complete 2.5" catback. or

The gain will be noticeable over the stock exhaust?
accordingtou is offline  
Old 09-27-2009, 04:00 PM
  #16  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
Thanks you

What i need to do with the o2 sensor on the cat?
Just weld a o2 sensor bung on the cut out?
Did the ecu will give me code?
Jean Seb is offline  
Old 09-27-2009, 04:27 PM
  #17  
VQ30 DE T
iTrader: (41)
 
accordingtou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,162
Install an O2 similator which tricks the ecu into thinking the cat is present & working
accordingtou is offline  
Old 05-19-2011, 08:29 PM
  #18  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Franklin, Tennessee
Posts: 196
Hey would cutting off the muffler and running the pipe out to where it should be cause power loss, Iv heard it does and it doesnt so if anyone on here has experience with just cutting the muffler off please let me know, its a 2003 maxima SE. thanks
zsolt117 is offline  
Old 05-20-2011, 08:39 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
iTrader: (43)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Baltimore, Md
Posts: 10,554
Originally Posted by zsolt117 View Post
Hey would cutting off the muffler and running the pipe out to where it should be cause power loss, Iv heard it does and it doesnt so if anyone on here has experience with just cutting the muffler off please let me know, its a 2003 maxima SE. thanks
It wont do anything but make the car louder.
ajcool2 is offline  
Old 10-05-2011, 04:18 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,625
Originally Posted by ajcool2 View Post
It wont do anything but make the car louder.
not true. it opens up top end quite a bit for a little bottom end sacrifice. if your racing and wanna get the best time, have your finger on the switch and click it open after you hit 3k that way you don't lose any power in any range.

I tucked my cut-out right up in that little space above the cross member. That way if i ever bottom out, it is protected. Placed the button right next to the steering wheel heater.

i did the cutout option for the same reason, to keep the woman happy and preserve the luxury aspect of the maxima.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 10-05-2011 at 04:20 PM.
twentyeggs is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
My Coffee
New Member Introductions
15
06-06-2017 02:01 PM
Justin Kroll
5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
3
10-01-2015 07:03 PM
09maxshawn11
5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
5
09-30-2015 10:28 AM
Socalstillen
4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
1
09-26-2015 12:01 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Benefits of exhaust cut-out?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.