Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

Who has a Dry shot setup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:08 PM

Who has a Dry shot setup?

As we all know, a wet shot is always the best way to go, but I am considering going with a small dry shot to get my turbo spooling up, by small im refering to 35-50shot. This would be for a track only purpose, so I will have a tune just for this, nitrous will shut off at 5psi for example.

My question is, does anyone have experience with tuning with a dry setup? I will NOT spray my MAF (I hate the idea and will not do it), so I am looking to see how much a small 35 or 50dry shot affects the A/F ratio. Any input would be appreciated. Obviously I would be tuning, starting off by richening out and work my way up, but wanna get an idea of those that have tried it.

If curious as to why I am using dry, well I want to absolutely eliminate the chance of int backfire, I am also using meth injection, i know its not likely to occur but there IS a chance, also its cheaper, less plumbing, simpler install, and only for a small shot.

Last edited by streetzlegend; 04-16-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:51 AM
Turbo 3.5

I had a dry setup and you don't spray the maf, it bumps the fuel psi up to get the extra fuel. I had stock injectors and they maxed out on a 75shot and I switch to wet kit.

For example if your injectors are good for 500hp and your making 450 then a 35shot is fine but if you making 480 and 35shot will lean out your setup also you have to retune the car. I would just get a wet kit since it has it's own fuel and you can tune it seperate and leave the cars tune alone
Old 05-09-2010, 11:38 PM

How does it bump the fuel pressure?
Old 05-10-2010, 04:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Bleeds nitrous pressure to the vacuum line on the stock FPR, raising the fuel pressure, that's why its not as reliable as a wet setup.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jime
Bleeds nitrous pressure to the vacuum line on the stock FPR, raising the fuel pressure, that's why its not as reliable as a wet setup.
Eeek I dont like the idea of that at all. Thats why I was just thinking of spraying the dry shot alone, and adding the fuel through my corrections on the EU. its only for the track so i have no issue having two maps at all. just wanted an idea of how much afr changes given X amount of nitrous hp shot
Old 05-10-2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Eeek I dont like the idea of that at all. Thats why I was just thinking of spraying the dry shot alone, and adding the fuel through my corrections on the EU. its only for the track so i have no issue having two maps at all. just wanted an idea of how much afr changes given X amount of nitrous hp shot
wanna run a automatic 03
Old 05-10-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by perkman87
wanna run a automatic 03
Bring it son!
Old 05-10-2010, 07:55 PM

Bring it son!
Why waste the gas. You know you'll lose... lol jk

wanna run a manual '92
Old 05-10-2010, 08:00 PM

jwt dry nitrous ecu's add fuel at the injectors with out raising fp. Maybe give them a call and see if they'll tell you how much fuel to add. Does the emu have the ability to switch between two different fuel maps on the fly via a trigger wire of some sort?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by 505max94se
jwt dry nitrous ecu's add fuel at the injectors with out raising fp. Maybe give them a call and see if they'll tell you how much fuel to add. Does the emu have the ability to switch between two different fuel maps on the fly via a trigger wire of some sort?
Yup, it does. even if its not on the fly with a switch, it dosnt take more than 3min to load a differnt map, a few seconds really. But yeah you have dip switches.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:14 PM

Why waste the gas. You know you'll lose... lol jk

wanna run a manual '92
Id love too, but them 60' you got are hard to match lol. The best 60' iv ever had has been 2.0 WITH a 35shot, stock stall just dosnt help me whats so ever, so I rely on raw power to make up for it top end lol. Eventually ill go to the 1/4 track and see where im at. Aiming for high 11s but as rule of thumb you have to add 1 second to your actual goal and thats what you run lol. Thats why im looking for a dry shot to get me off the line and get this thing spooling, the rest if history.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:45 PM

Id love too, but them 60' you got are hard to match lol. The best 60' iv ever had has been 2.0 WITH a 35shot, stock stall just dosnt help me whats so ever, so I rely on raw power to make up for it top end lol. Eventually ill go to the 1/4 track and see where im at. Aiming for high 11s but as rule of thumb you have to add 1 second to your actual goal and thats what you run lol. Thats why im looking for a dry shot to get me off the line and get this thing spooling, the rest if history.
When you get your car tuned really well and up the boost, you should be much faster than me. I can't wait to see what it runs.

I'm going to the track on friday with a full bottle. lol. If my tranny doesn't explode, I should run a low 12. My goal is also a high 11. If I can't do it with my current set up, I'll spray a 200 shot with race fuel. I also might get nano nitrous. We'll see.

Yup, it does. even if its not on the fly with a switch, it dosnt take more than 3min to load a differnt map, a few seconds really. But yeah you have dip switches.
If it's not instantly changeable with a trigger wire, I wouldn't do a dry shot. You want the fuel map to switch as soon as the nitrous is engaged and switch back as soon as it's disengaged. That's the only way that I'd do a dry set up. Truth is, I wouldn't do a dry setup at all.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:46 AM

When you get your car tuned really well and up the boost, you should be much faster than me. I can't wait to see what it runs.

I'm going to the track on friday with a full bottle. lol. If my tranny doesn't explode, I should run a low 12. My goal is also a high 11. If I can't do it with my current set up, I'll spray a 200 shot with race fuel. I also might get nano nitrous. We'll see.

If it's not instantly changeable with a trigger wire, I wouldn't do a dry shot. You want the fuel map to switch as soon as the nitrous is engaged and switch back as soon as it's disengaged. That's the only way that I'd do a dry set up. Truth is, I wouldn't do a dry setup at all.
no I wont have it change as soon as it sprays, i get to the track, load the dry nitrous map and thats it, spray all i want. then at the end of the night when I go home, just load up the street map and thats it.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:37 PM

Why don't you just run a wet kit? Much easier.

The only way I would run a dry kit is if I had an ecu that could do this below.
The hondata ecus for hondas have this option. It works great. It changes when the nitrous is engaged. Really cool setup.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:44 AM

no I wont have it change as soon as it sprays, i get to the track, load the dry nitrous map and thats it, spray all i want. then at the end of the night when I go home, just load up the street map and thats it.
You should be fine with that setup as long as you stick with a low enough shot so you don't max the injectors, like you indicated a 35-50 to spool up the turbo won't come close to maxing them.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:37 AM

yeah, no way im maxing them out, 600CC. I think i'll be fine with it, just gotta richen out my table n see how it goes.

Krazy6: Although it might not be an issue, I am very paranoid in having methanol, nitrous, fuel, and positive pressure all flowing inside the manifold, in a waste spark ignition setup. You imagine what a back fire would be like with that combination? I dont even want to think about that lol. Backfires happen, even to the most experienced such as Jime. Just a very small slip up and BAM! Dry shot would be alot safer for these very small shots