Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Finally can ask questions on s/c

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 01:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Finally can ask questions on s/c

Alright now I ask some dumba$$ questions and wont feel stupid.

Well Sunday is the day for the supercharger install, Saturday I am getting the vB done at Maximum Tuning by Jeff.

My questions are as follows.

1. Those of you who have gone with a CAI setup for the s/c, where or what did you do to the Windshield Washer tank? I dont see any room to put both the Cone filter and the tank. Only other thing I can think of is getting a custom tank put in. I saw Chestboso's writeup on it, but when I looked at my setup, no way I got room for both.

2. I cant seem to figure out this whole colder spark plugs deal. There is all this talk about if you go more than 100hp, then you want 2step colder. Well since I am going with a 3.125 pulley, I will most likely be putting out about 300+wHP. So that is over 100hp. Should I go with 2steps or just 1step colder plugs?

3. On the pulley change, it has been said a certain part of the stillen braket needs to be shaved off. Does anyone know off their head exactly which "peg" needs to be shaved? I want to make sure this is done correctly since I am taking this car on a 800mile trip 3days after the s/c install.

4. Last question, someone told me that the idler pulley, the 2" pulley with the side rails, has to be installed the correct way. If not this is where people run into issues of the belt slipping off or shreding. To me it doesnt seem to be a right or wrong way to install this pulley. Both sides look exactly the same depth. Is this correct only on 4th gen or does it apply to both?

Thanks for any help, I got to get this right so I dont end up half way through my trip and on the side of the road trying to perform a belt change.

Dixit
Old 11-20-2002, 05:43 AM

Re: Finally can ask questions on s/c

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Well Sunday is the day for the supercharger install, Saturday I am getting the vB done at Maximum Tuning by Jeff.

My questions are as follows.

1. Those of you who have gone with a CAI setup for the s/c, where or what did you do to the Windshield Washer tank? I dont see any room to put both the Cone filter and the tank. Only other thing I can think of is getting a custom tank put in. I saw Chestboso's writeup on it, but when I looked at my setup, no way I got room for both.

2. I cant seem to figure out this whole colder spark plugs deal. There is all this talk about if you go more than 100hp, then you want 2step colder. Well since I am going with a 3.125 pulley, I will most likely be putting out about 300+wHP. So that is over 100hp. Should I go with 2steps or just 1step colder plugs?

3. On the pulley change, it has been said a certain part of the stillen braket needs to be shaved off. Does anyone know off their head exactly which "peg" needs to be shaved? I want to make sure this is done correctly since I am taking this car on a 800mile trip 3days after the s/c install.

4. Last question, someone told me that the idler pulley, the 2" pulley with the side rails, has to be installed the correct way. If not this is where people run into issues of the belt slipping off or shreding. To me it doesnt seem to be a right or wrong way to install this pulley. Both sides look exactly the same depth. Is this correct only on 4th gen or does it apply to both?

Thanks for any help, I got to get this right so I dont end up half way through my trip and on the side of the road trying to perform a belt change.

Dixit
Dixit,

1. I lost the washer reservoir, sometimes you have to pay a price, and I did. Granted the Max is not my daily driver, so when I do take it out, I generally know the weather is gonna be OK. I thought about the idea of custom tank, but it was too much of a PITA to accomplish.

2. I would recommend you stay at the 1 step colder plugs. 2 step may be a neccessity in the realy hot months, but by then you should be able to tell if you need them.

3. The bracket shave is indeed a must do, NYMJAYJAY took some pics of where he had to shave his bracket a few weeks ago. Do a search from nymjayjay and I am sure you will turn it up.

4. I am not too familiar with the Idler pulley setup on the 5th Gens, but if it is the same as the 4th gens, then I believe it does not matter. Maybe they were refferring to the tensioner pulley, that one can lead to confusion.

Anything else, just ask.
-Del
Old 11-20-2002, 09:09 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

No room for me in the 4th without doing some serious squashing...

Old 11-20-2002, 09:21 AM

If your going to do a CAI dont do thet crap with the PVC elbow from home depot. Order a 3" mandrel bent J or U section and chop it up to fit. Be sure to get a filter that is rated for your peak CFM flow. K&N rates them on their web site, for 10ps @6500rpms you need a filter that flows ~490cfm, I went bigger on my filter so it has some head room for when it gets dirty.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:54 PM

Re: Re: Finally can ask questions on s/c

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

If your going to do a CAI dont do thet crap with the PVC elbow from home depot. Order a 3" mandrel bent J or U section and chop it up to fit. Be sure to get a filter that is rated for your peak CFM flow. K&N rates them on their web site, for 10ps @6500rpms you need a filter that flows ~490cfm, I went bigger on my filter so it has some head room for when it gets dirty.

One more pic
Old 11-20-2002, 01:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

Where are you guys ordering the 3" pipe from?

A local shop is offering to make the pipe for me, plus install the CAI, for $125. I supply the filter, they supply the pipe and wire and install it. That includes cutting the hole in the side (removing the fender to make sure it's a clean cut), extending the wires on the MAF (5th gen MAF), and connecting and bolting everything in place.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Finally can ask questions on s/c

Originally posted by Tanman

A local shop is offering to make the pipe for me, plus install the CAI, for $125. I supply the filter, they supply the pipe and wire and install it. That includes cutting the hole in the side (removing the fender to make sure it's a clean cut), extending the wires on the MAF (5th gen MAF), and connecting and bolting everything in place.
3.5 inch diameter Mandrel bent piping obtained from http://www.stahlheaders.com/.. [part number 215350000 180 Deg U-bend 3-1/2" 16 7" 12" legs], Cut down in half, then have only two inch of leg after the bend completes ~$28.00

Straight off maximadriver.com

Old 11-20-2002, 02:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Finally can ask questions on s/c

3.5 inch diameter Mandrel bent piping obtained from http://www.stahlheaders.com/.. [part number 215350000 180 Deg U-bend 3-1/2" 16 7" 12" legs], Cut down in half, then have only two inch of leg after the bend completes ~$28.00

Straight off maximadriver.com

Yeah, I've seen those instructions, but I think that's engineering shorthand or something. WTF is 16 7" 12" legs? Cut down in half? Is that lengthwise or cut in two? Maybe if I saw the stock pipe I'd know what he's talking about .
Old 11-20-2002, 02:51 PM

Since your seeing Jeff on Sat just ask him where he shaved it. He installed my blower the other day and since I used the 3.33 he had to shave a little too..
Old 11-20-2002, 02:57 PM

I listed the T clamp you need on my site below my sig. I below pg 2. $125 and you supply the filter, forget it do it yourself.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:43 PM

What is that pipe going through in the fender? looks like something exploded and the shrapnel just bent and a pipe was stuck through. Is that a rubber piece or metal?

Another question, on a 5th gen, you got to cut a fairly large hole to get this bad boy in. But what is key here compared to 4th gens is that you also need to put the MAF somewhere on there as well. 4th gens have the MAF on the charged air pipe. We have it on the other pipe. Plus our MAF is built for drawn air, not pushed/forced air readings. So putting it on the charged pipe might not be a good idea.

Dixit
Old 11-20-2002, 03:58 PM

What is that pipe going through in the fender? looks like something exploded and the shrapnel just bent and a pipe was stuck through. Is that a rubber piece or metal?

Another question, on a 5th gen, you got to cut a fairly large hole to get this bad boy in. But what is key here compared to 4th gens is that you also need to put the MAF somewhere on there as well. 4th gens have the MAF on the charged air pipe. We have it on the other pipe. Plus our MAF is built for drawn air, not pushed/forced air readings. So putting it on the charged pipe might not be a good idea.

Dixit
That's why I want it done professionally, to avoid that ghetto cutting job like on Jay's .

Actually, I don't think the 5th gen needs to be cut much more, just enough so the pipe will fit and make a good smooth connection to the SC intake port. As for the MAF, it goes in the wheel well and connects between the filter and the pipe. I think you'll need an adapter like on the Frankencar to connect the filter to the MAF. You also need to extend the wires across the engine bay for the MAF. Messing with the MAF is another reason I'd rather let a shop do it. If they mess up the MAF, I can make them pay for a new one .
Old 11-20-2002, 05:03 PM

That's why I want it done professionally, to avoid that ghetto cutting job like on Jay's .

Actually, I don't think the 5th gen needs to be cut much more, just enough so the pipe will fit and make a good smooth connection to the SC intake port. As for the MAF, it goes in the wheel well and connects between the filter and the pipe. I think you'll need an adapter like on the Frankencar to connect the filter to the MAF. You also need to extend the wires across the engine bay for the MAF. Messing with the MAF is another reason I'd rather let a shop do it. If they mess up the MAF, I can make them pay for a new one .
I agree with you on the MAF setup, but what you may be forgetting is that the MAF pipe is about 4"s long and then putting on the large cone/cylindrical filter will make it too long and I believe wont clear the bottom splash gaurd or the bumper cover at the bottom porting. I think the best and only way around this is putting a hold into the piping and then installing the MAF sensor directly on the pipe either in the fender or say 3"s from the s/c opening. This should not be hard to do at all.

Dixit
Old 11-20-2002, 05:10 PM

I agree with you on the MAF setup, but what you may be forgetting is that the MAF pipe is about 4"s long and then putting on the large cone/cylindrical filter will make it too long and I believe wont clear the bottom splash gaurd or the bumper cover at the bottom porting. I think the best and only way around this is putting a hold into the piping and then installing the MAF sensor directly on the pipe either in the fender or say 3"s from the s/c opening. This should not be hard to do at all.

Dixit
Unless the MAF sensor is easy to remove from the stock pipe, it'd be tough to go back to stock if you move the sensor. Also, I wouldn't want to mess with the MAF, considering all the problems people have with them. I think most of the 5th gen SC'd folks with CAI just connect the filter to the MAF to a pipe to the SC.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:17 PM

Unless the MAF sensor is easy to remove from the stock pipe, it'd be tough to go back to stock if you move the sensor. Also, I wouldn't want to mess with the MAF, considering all the problems people have with them. I think most of the 5th gen SC'd folks with CAI just connect the filter to the MAF to a pipe to the SC.
Very easy. There are two philips heads screws that allow the sensor to come off and then be relocated. And you wont risk screwing it up if you dont mess it up like spray some crap over it or break it. Other than that, it is fine.

Dixit
Old 11-20-2002, 06:57 PM

Dixit

I can get it purdy when I have a chance. I now have tools that I didnt have back then. Gimme a break it was freezing cold when I did the install, I didnt have a garage back then, I was at a parking lot outside. From the top it does not look nasty like that.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by JAY25

I can get it purdy when I have a chance. I now have tools that I didnt have back then. Gimme a break it was freezing cold when I did the install, I didnt have a garage back then, I was at a parking lot outside. From the top it does not look nasty like that.
No prob, didn't mean to bash, just wanted to justify my spending the money to have a shop do the work instead .
Old 11-20-2002, 11:53 PM

Dixit
Hey Dixit, I was supposed to go with you guys up there on the 23rd as well, but I chose to have him ship the VB to me which should arrive any day now. Anyway, I went to nymjayjay homepage and couldn't find any pics of the shaved SC bracket. Can anyone link me to it since I would like to start my SC install tomorrow night with the 3.33" pully. Thanks.

-Ben
Old 11-20-2002, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
Hey Dixit, I was supposed to go with you guys up there on the 23rd as well, but I chose to have him ship the VB to me which should arrive any day now. Anyway, I went to nymjayjay homepage and couldn't find any pics of the shaved SC bracket. Can anyone link me to it since I would like to start my SC install tomorrow night with the 3.33" pully. Thanks.

-Ben
Damn you going s/c as well. I know the part they say you need to shave it obvious, but I just wanted to know to make sure as well.

Yeap, Corey, me, Damax, and Cash are rolling up Saturday morning at 5am.

Dixit
Old 11-20-2002, 11:59 PM

Damn you going s/c as well. I know the part they say you need to shave it obvious, but I just wanted to know to make sure as well.

Yeap, Corey, me, Damax, and Cash are rolling up Saturday morning at 5am.

Dixit
I still don't know which part it is to shave, and to get to the pully, I basically have to remove all the black hex screws?

-Ben
Old 11-21-2002, 02:21 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Finally can ask questions on s/c

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
I still don't know which part it is to shave, and to get to the pully, I basically have to remove all the black hex screws?

-Ben
Yeap, need to remove the s/c from the s/c mounting plate. Change the pulley and put the belt on, you will see what needs to be shaved when you hold the belt tight.

Dixit
Old 11-21-2002, 05:39 AM

No prob, didn't mean to bash, just wanted to justify my spending the money to have a shop do the work instead .
Pretty dosn't = faster

Just look under my hood
Old 11-21-2002, 05:54 AM

benblanco... he posted them here about 2 weeks ago... here is the link to the thread.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=165054

Good Luck with your install.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by delio
benblanco... he posted them here about 2 weeks ago... here is the link to the thread.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=165054

Good Luck with your install.
Oh this is nice........ Perfect. You the man Delio

Dixit
Old 11-21-2002, 08:40 AM

Oh this is nice........ Perfect. You the man Delio

Dixit
I try I may have that one moved to this forum so I can sticky it.