Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

I am officially SUPERCHARGED!!! But my Setup is VERY odd!! Check it out...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 05:49 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Re: Re: IT'S FIXED

Originally posted by Confused
Congrats~! you never told us what code you threw..

Thanks. I'm not exactly sure how to check for the codes, but he said it came on during the CAI install, went off, and came back on. So probubly not a huge deal, but I would like to get rid of it. Also, i'm thinking of swapping in the 6-1 disc. What do you think?
Old 01-08-2003, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
You could try the 6:1...

What spark plugs are in their?
Not sure which brand, but I know they are 1 step colder then stock

How much peak boost?
Pretty sure it was 7.5 - 8psi...I never looked for an EXACT figure though.

What gauges do you have again?
EGT, Fuel Pressure, Boost.

And remember, I peaked out at 70psi on fuel pressure, which is more then enough i'm told.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

TRy it but mind the EGT's.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:52 PM

TRy it but mind the EGT's.
That and the fuel pressure! Most people run the 6:1 with the 3.33", so i'm hoping for the best.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:36 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by iansw
I don't just chirp second gear, I spin out sometimes. I can't have it at WOT in even a very slight turn or pavement change during the 2-3 shift alot of the time.

and I'm Auto.

Gotta love that MEVI.

Glad to hear it's all working well - before going to the 6:1 disc, I would suggest getting the thing tuned on a Dyno. Then figure out where to go from there.

IanS
did you ever get your blower re-built ?
Old 01-09-2003, 03:36 PM

::UPDATE::

I just installed the 6:1 disc and me and my bro went for a ride. He said at redline (full boost) I hit 65 fuel psi. Is that good? The power increase is noticable over the 8:1 too. My car hauls like a bat out of hell now. I LOVE IT. I forgot to pay attention to the EGT, but saw it in the corner of my eye and it didn't get anywhere dangerous.

I downshifted into second at 43mph. My car jerked to the left, then the right really quick and took off amazingly fast. I squeeked my tires. I am on a dynomaxx $120 clutch, lesser then OEM standards. I need to cool it or its gonna blow. I'm saving for an ACT. What would have happened in that situation with the ACT? WHat about a 1-2 shift at WOT? With my current clutch, I only get a squeek on smooth roads.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:04 PM

65 is good
Old 01-11-2003, 10:18 AM

65 is good
Good to know.

Can my stock clutch be robbing me of power? I notice on the 1-2 shift that going into second gear feels really weak, like there is a lag. All other gears feel weak going into as well. It seems like a clutch can make as big a difference in "feel" as a supercharger.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Good to know.

Can my stock clutch be robbing me of power? I notice on the 1-2 shift that going into second gear feels really weak, like there is a lag. All other gears feel weak going into as well. It seems like a clutch can make as big a difference in "feel" as a supercharger.
If the clutch slips, it definately can rob you.

Congrats on the install. Why did you go with the 3.33" pulley? You were talking at one time of going smaller, I think. Better safe than sorry?
Old 01-15-2003, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Stephen Max

If the clutch slips, it definately can rob you.
So I shouldn't feel bad if I can't chirp second gear? Guys with my setup + ACT usually squeel into second...

Congrats on the install. Why did you go with the 3.33" pulley? You were talking at one time of going smaller, I think. Better safe than sorry?
Exactly right. 3.33 is the limit for the 6:1 disc which means you squeeze max HP out of that setup. The only other thing I had to do is change my spark plugs to one step colder and now i'm set. All gauges read normal. With the 3.125, IMO you start getting into headaches with running rich, spark plugs, FMU discs, ect. I am def. happy where I am, although I wish the boost kicked in sooner. (like 2800 instead of 3150ish)
Old 01-15-2003, 09:54 PM
GoldenGlory

Originally posted by Craig Mack

So I shouldn't feel bad if I can't chirp second gear? Guys with my setup + ACT usually squeel into second...

Exactly right. 3.33 is the limit for the 6:1 disc which means you squeeze max HP out of that setup. The only other thing I had to do is change my spark plugs to one step colder and now i'm set. All gauges read normal. With the 3.125, IMO you start getting into headaches with running rich, spark plugs, FMU discs, ect. I am def. happy where I am, although I wish the boost kicked in sooner. (like 2800 instead of 3150ish)
im assuming i have the 6:1 FMU disk... is it safe on a 3.25 pulley?

Old 01-16-2003, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by GoldenGlory

im assuming i have the 6:1 FMU disk... is it safe on a 3.25 pulley?
I ran a 3.125 on a V1 with 2-step colder plugs, no problems, but EGT's were on the edge. It was a noticable power boost from the 8:1 disc.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:02 AM

I ran a 3.125 on a V1 with 2-step colder plugs, no problems, but EGT's were on the edge. It was a noticable power boost from the 8:1 disc.
So the 8:1 disk I bought for my 3.25" pulley on a V1 is going to be overkill? Oh well, I'll start out with the 8:1 and if the EGT's look too low I'll try the 6:1.

By the way, I'm running the Walbro 255lph pump instead of the Vortech aux pump. The Walbro pump bumped my fuel pressure at idle to 40 psi (50 psi at WOT). Is this going to make my car run even richer when boosting? If that is the case, then maybe the 6:1 disk augmented by the higher base pressure will be enough to keep things safe.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:45 AM

So the 8:1 disk I bought for my 3.25" pulley on a V1 is going to be overkill? Oh well, I'll start out with the 8:1 and if the EGT's look too low I'll try the 6:1.

By the way, I'm running the Walbro 255lph pump instead of the Vortech aux pump. The Walbro pump bumped my fuel pressure at idle to 40 psi (50 psi at WOT). Is this going to make my car run even richer when boosting? If that is the case, then maybe the 6:1 disk augmented by the higher base pressure will be enough to keep things safe.
Stephen you may want to buy a FPR to bump your Base FP back down, or part throttle acceleration will be a little doggy.

6:1 + 3.25 is fine in my honest opinion. Your in Texas so the extreme heat may make for the need to bump it to an 8:1 in the summer.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by delio

Stephen you may want to buy a FPR to bump your Base FP back down, or part throttle acceleration will be a little doggy.

6:1 + 3.25 is fine in my honest opinion. Your in Texas so the extreme heat may make for the need to bump it to an 8:1 in the summer.
Thanks Delio. So is the Sard fpr the recommended one? Any advantages in going with the Vortech Super FMU?
Old 01-16-2003, 11:37 AM

Thanks Delio. So is the Sard fpr the recommended one? Any advantages in going with the Vortech Super FMU?
I would recommend the SARD. The Super FMU seems to be too complicated for what we need. Although if it floats your boat, it will do exactly what you want, assuming you are going to spend the tuning time.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:39 AM

Quesiton:

I have a cartech Adjustable FMU, where I can adjust my Fuel Pressure based on boost, thereby not needing FMU discs.

Do I need a SARD if I get a Walbro still?

IanS
Old 01-16-2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by iansw
Quesiton:

I have a cartech Adjustable FMU, where I can adjust my Fuel Pressure based on boost, thereby not needing FMU discs.

Do I need a SARD if I get a Walbro still?

IanS
Yes unless your Cartech will adjust base (or termed 'static') fuel pressure. I called Cartech directly on this and they did not make it, so unless yours is a prototype... FPR for you. As far as I know Vortech's super FMU is the only one that does Static FP regulation as well as rise to rate pressure increasing based on boost.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by delio

Yes unless your Cartech will adjust base (or termed 'static') fuel pressure. I called Cartech directly on this and they did not make it, so unless yours is a prototype... FPR for you. As far as I know Vortech's super FMU is the only one that does Static FP regulation as well as rise to rate pressure increasing based on boost.
Ah, I get it now - no need to be a wiseazz about it. <j/k>

IanS