Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

HELP~ the blet is running off the idler pulley~ HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 01:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

HELP~ the blet is running off the idler pulley~ HELP

Hi all:
I finished the install of the belt tonight and I kept running into the same problem. The belt is running off the idler pulley towards the SC plate.

I noticed that the idler pulley wobbles when it is tightened on the plate. There are two washers for my idler pulley and I found out both of them are on the same site. Can that be the cause?

please help.

thx
Old 01-12-2003, 02:38 AM
RBa

Re: HELP~ the blet is running off the idler pulley~ HELP

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
Hi all:
I finished the install of the belt tonight and I kept running into the same problem. The belt is running off the idler pulley towards the SC plate.

I noticed that the idler pulley wobbles when it is tightened on the plate. There are two washers for my idler pulley and I found out both of them are on the same site. Can that be the cause?

please help.

thx
OH man.. You've been so helpful to me but I cant help you..

Someone post advice asap..
Old 01-12-2003, 09:43 AM

Re: Re: HELP~ the blet is running off the idler pulley~ HELP

Originally posted by RBa

OH man.. You've been so helpful to me but I cant help you..

Someone post advice asap..
it's alright....I am going to try it again by replacing the washer. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:20 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Hi all:

please help.

thx
How close is it to the SC plate?
Old 01-12-2003, 11:02 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

The idler pulley definitely shouldn't 'wobble'...

Is your S/C a V1 or V2?

Is the idler pulley the 'stock' Stillen one? or aftermarket?
ASP idler pulley for the V2 DOESN'T include the bushing...
Old 01-12-2003, 04:02 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Hi all:
You're saying that it fell into the gap between the pulley and the SC plate?
Sounds like the pulley is sticking a way bit out than it should because of the washers. I have my washer (1) on the bolt side, not against the mounting plate. (Mine's a V2 btw)

please help.

thx
The pulley shouldn't wobble at all.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:51 AM

Re: Re: HELP~ the blet is running off the idler pulley~ HELP

Originally posted by Chunger
The idler pulley definitely shouldn't 'wobble'...

Is your S/C a V1 or V2?

Is the idler pulley the 'stock' Stillen one? or aftermarket?
ASP idler pulley for the V2 DOESN'T include the bushing...
I have v2 with Dan's aluminum pulley. When I first start up the car, the belt running left and right on the idler pulley and then finally moved a rib on the alternator pulley and went into the gap between the plate and the pulley. When I tightend it down a bit more, the belt stayed, but it is running really close to the plate. like 5mm.

now it is running like this and about 2mm of the belt is NOT running on the idler pulley.

Originally posted by BlackCat

You're saying that it fell into the gap between the pulley and the SC plate?
yup~

Sounds like the pulley is sticking a way bit out than it should because of the washers. I have my washer (1) on the bolt side, not against the mounting plate. (Mine's a V2 btw)
You are close to the right answer even without looking at it! I will post the cause of pulley not aligned in another thread.

The pulley shouldn't wobble at all.
hmmmm....when it is fully tightened, I can tilt the pulley a little. Seems the bearing may be a bit loose but I doubt it is the cause of the problem.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:54 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Re: Re: Re: HELP~ the blet is running off the idler pulley~ HELP

[B]

I have v2 with Dan's aluminum pulley. When I first start up the car, the belt running left and right on the idler pulley and then finally moved a rib on the alternator pulley and went into the gap between the plate and the pulley. When I tightend it down a bit more, the belt stayed, but it is running really close to the plate. like 5mm.
now it is running like this and about 2mm of the belt is NOT running on the idler pulley.
yup~
[B]
You are close to the right answer even without looking at it! I will post the cause of pulley not aligned in another thread.

hmmmm....when it is fully tightened, I can tilt the pulley a little. Seems the bearing may be a bit loose but I doubt it is the cause of the problem.
I've got DanNY's pullies as well and neither of them wobbled.

If you have 2mm of the belt running off of the idler pulley then how's the belt on the tensioner pulley? Is it rubbing against one wall of the pulley?
If it is rubbing then you'll definitely need some washers to move the blower slightly away from the mounting plate. My belt is running right in center of both pullies.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: HELP~ the blet is running off the idler pulley~ HELP

I've got DanNY's pullies as well and neither of them wobbled.

If you have 2mm of the belt running off of the idler pulley then how's the belt on the tensioner pulley? Is it rubbing against one wall of the pulley?
If it is rubbing then you'll definitely need some washers to move the blower slightly away from the mounting plate. My belt is running right in center of both pullies.
The tensioner pulley is ok. The direction shifts at the SC pulley. seems the main pulley is the only cause of the problem, because Kevin didnt have any alignment issue with the 2.87

thx for the advice
Old 01-14-2003, 08:11 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HELP~ the blet is running off the idler pulley~ HELP

The tensioner pulley is ok. The direction shifts at the SC pulley. seems the main pulley is the only cause of the problem, because Kevin didnt have any alignment issue with the 2.87

thx for the advice
Hmmm the main pulley? Never thought that that thing would wobble. I guess the locking pin isn't tight enough for that to happen.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HELP~ the blet is running off the idler pulley~ HELP

Hmmm the main pulley? Never thought that that thing would wobble. I guess the locking pin isn't tight enough for that to happen.
sorry...I meant the main pulley is off by 2mm. The only pulley that wobbles is the idler.