Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 05:09 PM

Intercooler

With the stillen kit do you need a intercooler?? I know that you shouldn't run much boost without one but how much boost is too much... my friend was asking me about a intercooler if i sc my max i am getting.... he has a 98 gsx awd bastard lol
Old 01-20-2003, 05:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Intercooler is to cool the charge from the heat of a turbo. The SC is very cold in comparison to a turbo, especially if you run it with a cold air intake.
So to answer your question. No, there is no need for a intercooler.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:58 PM

Do you need one with teh stock kit? No.

Is it for turbos alone, not at all.

How much boost? Well the more you run the more heat. I would get one over 9 psi, but your fine without it.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:58 PM

Simple principle, if you pressurize air, you get heat. More pressure, more heat.

Stock to say 9psi is fine. Anything over will definetely give you advantage with an Intercooler.

Also another simple principle, colder air from the intercooler means you get more Denser air from the same 9psi.

example

9psi of air at 100degrees
9psi of air at 50degrees.

The latter one will give you much more denser air, you can pack more air molecules in the same 9psi of air because it is colder.

Dixit
Old 01-22-2003, 10:39 AM
living out of a maxima...

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Simple principle, if you pressurize air, you get heat. More pressure, more heat.

Stock to say 9psi is fine. Anything over will definetely give you advantage with an Intercooler.

Also another simple principle, colder air from the intercooler means you get more Denser air from the same 9psi.

example

9psi of air at 100degrees
9psi of air at 50degrees.

The latter one will give you much more denser air, you can pack more air molecules in the same 9psi of air because it is colder.

Dixit
I understand the concept here and don't disagree with the theory, but isn't PSI a measurement of density? Meaning isn't 9psi @100 the same as 9psi @ 50?

Sort of like how a pound of bricks weighs the same as a pound of feathers?
Old 01-22-2003, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by JeffesonM

I understand the concept here and don't disagree with the theory, but isn't PSI a measurement of density? Meaning isn't 9psi @100 the same as 9psi @ 50?

Sort of like how a pound of bricks weighs the same as a pound of feathers?

If you take a sealed container of air and heat it up, the air expands and you get an increase in pressure, even though the quantity of air is unchanged. So 9 psi of hot air will give you less mass of air than 9 psi of cold air, and it is the mass flowrate of air that you are really interested in, not so much boost pressure (although boost pressure is a partial indicator of how much air you're getting).

There is a pressure drop associated with blowing air through an intercooler, so unless the intercooler is very efficient, it is not worth having an intercooler with a supercharger (except maybe for high boost pressures) because the air temperature rise is not nearly as much as with a turbocharger.

With a turbocharger, not only do you get such a temperature rise in the air running through the hot turbine that an intercooler is necessary, but you can overcome a pressure drop through the IC by just dialing up the boost pressure.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:34 AM
living out of a maxima...

thanks!
Old 01-22-2003, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Stephen Max

If you take a sealed container of air and heat it up, the air expands and you get an increase in pressure, even though the quantity of air is unchanged. So 9 psi of hot air will give you less mass of air than 9 psi of cold air, and it is the mass flowrate of air that you are really interested in, not so much boost pressure (although boost pressure is a partial indicator of how much air you're getting).

There is a pressure drop associated with blowing air through an intercooler, so unless the intercooler is very efficient, it is not worth having an intercooler with a supercharger (except maybe for high boost pressures) because the air temperature rise is not nearly as much as with a turbocharger.

With a turbocharger, not only do you get such a temperature rise in the air running through the hot turbine that an intercooler is necessary, but you can overcome a pressure drop through the IC by just dialing up the boost pressure.
That's what I tried to say. But you said it much better. Also people have tried to intercool the Stillen SC and saw no difference or loss boost from the intercooler
Old 01-22-2003, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by LatinMax

That's what I tried to say. But you said it much better. Also people have tried to intercool the Stillen SC and saw no difference or loss boost from the intercooler
...but was there a gain in hp/torque??? My shop wants to use my car as a prototype to start making IC's for SC max's. However, don't know if it's worth it. someone out there had to see gains or losses...anyone?
Old 01-22-2003, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by LatinMax

You will always see a loss in psi when using an intercooler, and since you said it (no gain or loss) thats shows that the intercooler is adding power, since now on less boost you are making more power, which shows that the intercooler is worth it, and as you add boost and you get the cooler you get
Old 01-22-2003, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by max'n out

You will always see a loss in psi when using an intercooler, and since you said it (no gain or loss) thats shows that the intercooler is adding power, since now on less boost you are making more power, which shows that the intercooler is worth it, and as you add boost and you get the cooler you get
No...I meant that there was either no loss of HP or even some loss HP with the intercooler setup on the SC. My bad.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:26 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

anyone want to buy my intercooler?

perfect sizing for the Supercharger...

im not going to put it in anymore

picts:

http://socalmaxima.8m.com/ic_cheston.htm

price: $450 obo
CFM rate is around 700 i think